Options

Francis Says Relax

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    Has it been mentioned yet how the Papal Seal is pretty boss, all things considered?

I mean, look at it.

200px-Emblem_of_the_Papacy_SE.svg.png

wait, what video game is this from?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Some interesting names you can bet on for the next pope to be found here (keep scrolling down...)

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned yet how the Papal Seal is pretty boss, all things considered?

I mean, look at it.

That's rolling Pope style.

Does a Gangnam Style parody called Papal Style exist?
    I'm sorry

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh god now I'm actually thinking about that combination.

why Etchwarts why

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Oh god now I'm actually thinking about that combination.

why Etchwarts why

<.<

>.>

HEY...CELIBATE LADY!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    put all my money on silvio berlusconi

Langly on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Franko wrote: »

I mean, look at it.

Kingdom Of Heaven Hearts

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Franko wrote: »

I mean, look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRakgCDYk80

Also now I really wanna believe this is what happened.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

I mean, look at it.

keyblades

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    See, part of me actually wants a tough pope. Or at least one who when accused of saying disparaging remarks about other religions, simply responds, "I'm the fucking Pope". Because that always seemed a bit ridiculous when people act like the man needs to be tolerant of all other religions. He is the leader of his religion (set aside the Catholic/Protestant split for a second) as laid out in the early centuries of the church. His main duty above all else is to follow scripture. And right there in the second book it lays out rules, which first among them says 'I am the lord thy god and you shall have no other gods before me'. So if he wants to stand there and tell some other dude you're wrong and your gods are bullshit, he should be allowed without people shitting their pants and screaming "OMG Pope, how y u say that???!!!".

Of course this leads to problems when I would also like to see a pope who would be willing to throw out Leviticus and Deuteronomy as antiquated drivel from an intolerant age. But I suppose that would get in the way of a tough Pope with a strict interpretation of the Bible as God's Word.

Yeah except this is precisely the kind of bullshit that leads to genocide. Oops.

Except the genocides of the last centuries have been based on political motives, national boundaries, and racial terms.

But assuming the Pope would be allowed to reclaim the Papal States and then some, raise an army, declare war on another religion w/o any support from the Bible regarding conversion by violence, and absolutely no interference from the international community, then yes, this would lead to genocide.

• Options
    See, part of me actually wants a tough pope. Or at least one who when accused of saying disparaging remarks about other religions, simply responds, "I'm the fucking Pope". Because that always seemed a bit ridiculous when people act like the man needs to be tolerant of all other religions. He is the leader of his religion (set aside the Catholic/Protestant split for a second) as laid out in the early centuries of the church. His main duty above all else is to follow scripture. And right there in the second book it lays out rules, which first among them says 'I am the lord thy god and you shall have no other gods before me'. So if he wants to stand there and tell some other dude you're wrong and your gods are bullshit, he should be allowed without people shitting their pants and screaming "OMG Pope, how y u say that???!!!".

Of course this leads to problems when I would also like to see a pope who would be willing to throw out Leviticus and Deuteronomy as antiquated drivel from an intolerant age. But I suppose that would get in the way of a tough Pope with a strict interpretation of the Bible as God's Word.

Yeah except this is precisely the kind of bullshit that leads to genocide. Oops.

Except the genocides of the last centuries have been based on political motives, national boundaries, and racial terms.

But assuming the Pope would be allowed to reclaim the Papal States and then some, raise an army, declare war on another religion w/o any support from the Bible regarding conversion by violence, and absolutely no interference from the international community, then yes, this would lead to genocide.

Assuming that religious rhetoric is totally divorced from terrible decision making in major governments seems like a bad horse to back on.

• Options

Let me put this another way.

Entrenched antisemitism, spread and supported in no small part by the Catholic church, was a major factor that led to the Holocaust.

The Pope doesn't have to personally exterminate a people to take a part of responsibility when people listen to what he says and then do awful, awful things. This is why modern Popes are more careful than they used to about what they say (and yet, still not careful enough, see AIDS).

sig.gif
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    On npr they had a professor who was talking about how giving up this power was a sign of his humility.

Yes, sure guy

Depends on his actions but yeah it could prove to be quite the opposite. Resigning before his death could enable him to take a role in selecting his successor.

yeah, even if it is just a health thing and there's no scandal at all, the ability to actively choose your successor is a huge deal and a savvy political play.

Actually, he can't actually vote for the conclave. Anyone over 75 years-old cannot vote.

I mean, there are still other ways he can influence the decision, but he won't be inside the conclave at all. So it does limit him.

the commentary I heard was that he put most of the people in the decision making process in their positions (or like, a lot of them), which is how he would influence it.

Yeah I guess, but there were 67 Cardinals last time who were elected by JPII and super-conservative Ratzinger still got elected. I think there are about 209 Cardinals and about half of those can vote. There are still more JPII Cardinals that are eligible to vote than there are that were appointed by Ratzinger.

It's definitely an influence, but I don't think it necessarily means we're getting a Ratzinger doppelganger.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Wait, the pope changes his name when he takes office or whatever?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

he has a real name and then he gets a pope name

Ratzinger=Benedict XVI

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Ratzinger=Benedict XVI

I'll be damned

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

yes

Do you really think that two guys named John Paul were both picked to be the Pope?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Ratzinger=Benedict XVI

I'll be damned

you post here, so likely

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    My Pope name is Basil Bonavista
    wait...am I doing this right?

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013

Entrenched antisemitism, spread and supported in no small part by the Catholic church, was a major factor that led to the Holocaust.

The Pope doesn't have to personally exterminate a people to take a part of responsibility when people listen to what he says and then do awful, awful things. This is why modern Popes are more careful than they used to about what they say (and yet, still not careful enough, see AIDS).

Modern antisemitism which was a major factor that led to the Holocaust is much different from the antisemitic beliefs that circulated during the Middle Ages into the 16th century. Antisemitism in the late 19th Century and 20th Century was more secular, based around citizenship, economic factors, racial ideology, and cultural differences rather than religion and had little to do with the Catholic church.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the church you attended in first grade plus your favorite pizza place's owners name and then your age/3 + 1

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

did you think that dudes were just named Pius and Innocent?

• Options
    Pope Niceguy Givemetithe the 47th

• Options
    On npr they had a professor who was talking about how giving up this power was a sign of his humility.

Yes, sure guy

Depends on his actions but yeah it could prove to be quite the opposite. Resigning before his death could enable him to take a role in selecting his successor.

yeah, even if it is just a health thing and there's no scandal at all, the ability to actively choose your successor is a huge deal and a savvy political play.

Actually, he can't actually vote for the conclave. Anyone over 75 years-old cannot vote.

I mean, there are still other ways he can influence the decision, but he won't be inside the conclave at all. So it does limit him.

the commentary I heard was that he put most of the people in the decision making process in their positions (or like, a lot of them), which is how he would influence it.

Yeah I guess, but there were 67 Cardinals last time who were elected by JPII and super-conservative Ratzinger still got elected. I think there are about 209 Cardinals and about half of those can vote. There are still more JPII Cardinals that are eligible to vote than there are that were appointed by Ratzinger.

It's definitely an influence, but I don't think it necessarily means we're getting a Ratzinger doppelganger.

right, but john paul was also dead, which is the point.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

first syllable of prior name + imus Pope

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

Pope Big Mclargehuge

• Options

Yes, sure guy

right, but john paul was also dead, which is the point.

Yeah I know. But the guy is most likely going to hang out in a monastery and write.

A bunch of fellow old dudes are not necessarily going to give a fuck.

• Options
    going to a monastary to write

his illuminati hitler orders

• Options

Modern antisemitism which was a major factor that led to the Holocaust is much different from the antisemitic beliefs that circulated during the Middle Ages into the 16th century. Antisemitism in the late 19th Century and 20th Century was more secular, based around citizenship, economic factors, racial ideology, and cultural differences rather than religion and had little to do with the Catholic church.

Yes but the church was right there not saying much while all that shit was happening.

They were basically "oh but they're Jews so who cares right"

that was basically carte blanche for Europe to not care about what happened to them

and people should the fuck have cared.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Marathon wrote: »

Pope Big Mclargehuge

We put our faith in Pope Blast Hardcheese

amen

Daypigeon on
  • Options

Pope Big Mclargehuge

Finally, a pope to represent America

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Dan Brown's next novel

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

Dan Brown's next novel

It was really great working at the National Cathedral when his last one came out.

People in the Archives were not amused.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I want

a Hispanic Pope

• Options
    I want

a Hispanic Pope

Probably the second-most likely outcome, after a white one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rat Zinger sounds like a book of bad puns about rodents.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    I want

a Hispanic Pope

If by Hispanic, you mean Spanish.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    my church has ravaged the massive people of an entire continent and systematically killed multiple civilizations

now has one of the largest if not the largest Catholic population on the planet

if another European is picked I will be very upset

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I want

a Hispanic Pope

If by Hispanic, you mean Spanish.

Rouco Varela or Ladaria Ferrer.

Maybe a jesuit will get a chance this time.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that when I see the informative article headline "How to elect a Pope", I think 'send bishops to burn heretics and witches before going on a pilgrimage to non-Catholic regions, and then surround Rome with high-level assassins'.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.