As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reproduction of Le Parkour in Acrylic

thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
I tried the best I could to get a decent scan of this. This was the first major assignment in my studio class and we had to pick a favorite artist of ours and copy a painting. I chose Adonihs from DeviantArt. Here it is Critique if you feel like it. The subject is the main character from Prince of Persia. I mixed almost all of this painting in Red, Yellow, Blue, and White(I usually forget to use the other bottled colors). It took me around 6-7 hours to complete over two days.
leparkourreproduction.jpg
I noticed his arm seems too short and I think I will be fixing that. I also did not make the clouds perfect to his so that may throw one off looking at the two versions.
mine- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51339868/
adonih's- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33335109/?qo=11&q=by%3Aadonihs&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

hanshotfirst.jpg
thevo1ta on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    I guess no one has anything to say :(

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sort of hard to comment on a reproduction. Most of what could be said as critique should be directed at the original artist; for instance the visible arm looks like the wrist is attached directly to the bicep.

Otherwise it's a decent copy. The face is a bit off and the red scarf is a tad more "wool-y" than the original but otherwise not bad.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Agreed with Scos... You did a decent job of copying the work, and I always love the painting texture over the flat/smooth digital paintings. There are quite a few things that bug me about the piece, but to be fair, they are present more or less in both pieces, so it doesn't make much sense to elaborate on them here.

I guess the only crits that can be made are the differences... Your addition of motion lines goes against the origional direction of the piece, and looks bad. Next, the origional does a better job of conveying the angle of his body. In your's it looks as if he's just perpendicular to the camera, and it took me a good 3 viewings to realize his closer leg was actually drawn up close to his chest, and not in line with his other. It looks more like some kind of large canister/container. The feet weren't great in the origional, and look worse here, especially the lower one. I think you need some foot studies. Also, the scarf doesn't look like a scarf, and doesn't flow very well. It looks like a red version of his hair...

The anatomy and positioning have some problems too, but they're not exclusive to one piece. I do like the background texture, especially the left side clouds.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thanks to both of you :D I will take all of your comments into consideration and when I have time this weekend I will work on some foot studies. Do you know of any good stock websites with some good closeups of feet? or shall I just order some friends around?

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg