As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop at around $800?

CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I need a laptop for college that will cost around $800 with at least the following specs.

At least 1.4ghz
Disk Storage 40 gigabytes
Memory 512 megabytes
Number of Expansion Slots 0-1
DVD-ROM or CD-RW
Capable of connection to 802.11A, B, or G wireless network

Recommendations?

Cheezy on

• Options
    AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would keep my eye on this link and see if any good deals pop up for around $800.

AutoSciz on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a Compaq Presario R4000 for a little over 700CAD in august. It had 100GB storage, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, 2 expansion slots, DVD burner, 128MB ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, and wired & wireless (B/G) LAN.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got a manufacturer refurb IBM ThinkPad T41 for £365 (about US$700):

Pentium M 1.6GHZ
    Mobility Radeon 9000
    512MB RAM
    40GB HD
    DVD-ROM drive
    A/B/G Wifi

Plus it's made of metal, feels indestructible and has a manufacturer warranty.

Refurbs are well worth the money if you shop around a bit.

japan on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll echo Japan's sentiments: If you need a PC laptop, and it needs to be cheap, virtually the only way to get one that won't be shit will be to buy a refurb. Look for older IBM Thinkpads, Lenovo Thinkpads (IBM sold them the business), and Toshiba laptops.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What about a Macbook with a student discount? Not to be the guy that pushes a mac recommendation in a laptop thread, but I'm in a similar situation and I'm considering it. Anyone else think it's a good idea?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It won't be $800. Also, just make your own thread and stop derailing this one.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Acer have some good student deals from time to time. I got an Aspire that meets your specs just about a year ago for a total of AU$900 after cashback and upgrading the RAM to 512. That's well under US$800. Its a good little machine, although it has started to get pretty freakishly hot lately...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    As I understand it, technology tends to be more expensive in Australia, even after taking into account differences in currency. The same is true for Canada, although to a lesser extent. America probably gets the lowest tech prices in the world.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    As I understand it, technology tends to be more expensive in Australia, even after taking into account differences in currency. The same is true for Canada, although to a lesser extent. America probably gets the lowest tech prices in the world.

Everything's more expensive here dude, mostly because we don't have a Mexico ;)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg