As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass email software or service

MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
We are currently using a program called World Cast to send mass emails. These emails batches are sometimes are large as 18000 at a time (our total membership). The emails tend to be small HTML or plain text emails, one or two pages long.

We are looking to find a better solution. So can anyone recommend software or a service that is easy to use, but very funtional for sending mass emails?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monkeydrye on

• Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Post nuked since it was fucking stupid. -- Echo

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    To facilitate spam?

Not a chance.

Yes, companies never ever send legitimate newsletters.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I didn't even think of that!

We are the Florida Institute of CPA's. A society that services Accountants (no, not in THAT way). We provide continuing education and publish a magazine. So, we regularly send mailings (both physical and digital) to our membership to update them on our various conferences and seminars and whatnot. Sometimes a mailing may only go to several hundred (those signed up for a conference), sometimes it may be our whole membership (reminding them of dues renewals), which is about 18000 members.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't mind having some insight on this as well. Our list is much smaller, closer to 900 actually. I am interested in a package that gives robust reporting. We send out a newsletter once every month or two.

antifood on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know this doesn't help much, but my company is a php/mysql house and we had to just make our own.
    We searched for a viable solution for awhile, but we couldn't find one we trusted.

Mass mailing clients have to be very very robust, as sendmail queues tend to be shaky at best. If something fails you want to make sure your customers get their emails, but you also want to make sure other customers aren't getting multiple mails.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

We are the Florida Institute of CPA's. A society that services Accountants (no, not in THAT way). We provide continuing education and publish a magazine. So, we regularly send mailings (both physical and digital) to our membership to update them on our various conferences and seminars and whatnot. Sometimes a mailing may only go to several hundred (those signed up for a conference), sometimes it may be our whole membership (reminding them of dues renewals), which is about 18000 members.

Ah ok. My apologies then.

First thing that came to mind when you said mass email was spam. Probably just my corrupted mind.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No problem. As soon as I saw your email, I had a "duh" moment.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

I setup and administered Lyris ListManager for the professional association I used to work for. We did exactly what you do, with about the same membership. Lyris was very good for mass mailing from a member database, and they have hosted and DIY options. Lyris proved to be way better and much cheaper than some other fancier hosted solutions.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In my office we use Pimex MailExpress, which (I didn't know this till I looked for a link) seems to be free.

http://www.pimexonline.com/Products/mailexpress.htm

We regularily send out e-mails to the entire student body (I work at a university) which is about 25,000 right now.

Edit: Read more - its free for small listings (less then 300 e-mails). Its $30.00 for the real deal.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanks guys! Both of those links were very helpful!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    See, all across the internet there are computers connected, but not really doing anything.

If only you could utilise them for sending email to a large number of people! If only!

Seriously? Have you though about Yahoo Groups? B3ta use that, and they deliver to about 10k people every week (almost) always without fail (slight bias: I occasionally submit stuff for b3ta, so I want more people to read it)

ben0207 on