Options

Food is awesome.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok Dol Bi Bim Bop is one of the strangest, most delicious foods I have ever eaten. It's an Asian dish (Korean I'm pretty sure) served in a stone bowl. I don't even remember what is in the bowl other than rice, hot sauce (you can add at your own digression), veggies and various meats with a fried egg on top of it. Only one place I know serves it and that's the Dah Mee restaurant in Natick, MA and I've only had it once. I tried looking up the ingredients and so far have been unsuccessful. I might actually have to go back and copy down the description from the menu.

The dish sounds insane but it was delicious. Yolk all over the place, heated stone pot, stomach having multiple orgasms, I should really get back there.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    I love cooking, although Im not the BEST cook in the world.

Either way, if you ever wanna make somethign totally delicious and pretty easy, making a nice thai curry is pretty simple.

Do you use curry pastes from thailand or domestic pastes? Or do you make your curry from scratch?
    I use pastes from the local asian market.. dunno what you wanna count those as. I really wanan try making it from scratch but finding a lot of the ingredients in the US seems liek it would be pretty hard...

I'm referring to the country of manufacture, so buying them at an asian store doesn't necessarily tell me if they're thai or domestic. I just ask because when I first started playing around with thai coooking I tried some of the domestic brands that are easily found in normal supermarkets in the ethnic section such as Thai Kitchen and found them to be lacking. I later found that this was because they often left out some of the traditional ingredients such as shrimp paste, kaffir lime leaf, and/or galangal. Also they tend to tone down the heat. So I've found that curry pastes from thailand are much better though I'd also like to try making my own curry pastes one of these days.

Also, availability of ingredients varies widely by region in the U.S. I imagine you'd have a hard time finding fresh lemongrass in most areas of Montana but here in Seattle many of the ingredients are readily available in specialty markets.

I just checked, and the pastes I use are infact from thailand... brand Maesri

I use that brand also, along with Mae Ploy but Maesri makes one of the few prik khing pastes I can find.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    heehee

prik

Favlaud on
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love cooking, although Im not the BEST cook in the world.

Either way, if you ever wanna make somethign totally delicious and pretty easy, making a nice thai curry is pretty simple.

Do you use curry pastes from thailand or domestic pastes? Or do you make your curry from scratch?
    I use pastes from the local asian market.. dunno what you wanna count those as. I really wanan try making it from scratch but finding a lot of the ingredients in the US seems liek it would be pretty hard...

I'm referring to the country of manufacture, so buying them at an asian store doesn't necessarily tell me if they're thai or domestic. I just ask because when I first started playing around with thai coooking I tried some of the domestic brands that are easily found in normal supermarkets in the ethnic section such as Thai Kitchen and found them to be lacking. I later found that this was because they often left out some of the traditional ingredients such as shrimp paste, kaffir lime leaf, and/or galangal. Also they tend to tone down the heat. So I've found that curry pastes from thailand are much better though I'd also like to try making my own curry pastes one of these days.

Also, availability of ingredients varies widely by region in the U.S. I imagine you'd have a hard time finding fresh lemongrass in most areas of Montana but here in Seattle many of the ingredients are readily available in specialty markets.

I just checked, and the pastes I use are infact from thailand... brand Maesri

I use that brand also, along with Mae Ploy but Maesri makes one of the few prik khing pastes I can find.

Ive actually never made Prik Khing.. I usually stick to green or red, and on occasion Massaman, but that usually takes a bit more preparing than green or red.

Edit : A really good cookbook for Thai Cuisine is "It Rains Fishes: Legends, Traditions and the Joys of Thai Cooking " by Kasma Loha-Unchit. Its where I get all my thai cuisine from.

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok Dol Bi Bim Bop is one of the strangest, most delicious foods I have ever eaten. It's an Asian dish (Korean I'm pretty sure) served in a stone bowl. I don't even remember what is in the bowl other than rice, hot sauce (you can add at your own digression), veggies and various meats with a fried egg on top of it. Only one place I know serves it and that's the Dah Mee restaurant in Natick, MA and I've only had it once. I tried looking up the ingredients and so far have been unsuccessful. I might actually have to go back and copy down the description from the menu.

The dish sounds insane but it was delicious. Yolk all over the place, heated stone pot, stomach having multiple orgasms, I should really get back there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jeff Smith was pretty awesome too. I would have put up with the sexual assault if it meant he's make me breakfast afterwards.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hell yes Butters, I loved watching his show.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had that sooo much when I was visiting Korea. The first few times though, my stomach tried to commit suicide from the amount of hot sauce in there.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never had Thai food.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I had that sooo much when I was visiting Korea. The first few times though, my stomach tried to commit suicide from the amount of hot sauce in there.

Not many people know this, but Asians are fucking coo-coo for hotsauce. The place I used to work at was a really good pan-asian place and when the chefs made food for the kitchen it either had copious amounts of crushed pepper sauce in it or it had huge knots of ginger-root. Rice and scrambled eggs (cooked in vegetable oil) is a pretty satisfying breakfast and not bad at all with the pepper-sauce.

I went toe-to-toe once with the Mexican dishwashers with putting the stuff on my eggs once. They were waiting for me to vomit lava the whole time but I have a cast-iron stomach. I still would never put that much normally, because I think I lost some stomach lining and it tasted like hot acid.

I still maxxed out the chili paste or whatever it was in the Bi Bim Bop because it was motherfucking delicious. I need to eat there again after writing about it. My stomach remembers what it felt like and wants more. I haven't had it since the summer.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    kimchi is the foulest, most disgusting food I have ever come across. Those crazy koreans, all burying their food.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nestle Crunch bars are the pinacle of food evolution. Nothing can top them.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kimchi can be delicious.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I ate sardines for the first time yesterday.

Needless to say I will be buying sardines a lot from now on.

JJ on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I worken in a little dive motel during college and the manager had an apartment right off the main office. He was korean and would make kimchi every other week or so.

It was, without exaggeration, the absolute worst thing I have ever smelled in my life.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    I ate sardines for the first time yesterday.

Needless to say I will be buying sardines a lot from now on.

try kipper snacks.. like sardines, only better

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Korean BBQ...what I wouldn't give for some bul gogi right now :(

Bunta on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I ate teriyaki wings from Pizza 73 last night

hot damn they were good

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    I worken in a little dive motel during college and the manager had an apartment right off the main office. He was korean and would make kimchi every other week or so.

It was, without exaggeration, the absolute worst thing I have ever smelled in my life.

It always drove me up the fucking wall when co-workers (phillipino I think but I coud be wrong) would reheat their fish lunches in the microwave and it wasn't just normal fish but some kind of aged/fermented fish that smells really fucking pungeant and the smell would permeate the whole office. Ugh.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ITT: Seoul Food.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Geek wrote: »

It always drove me up the fucking wall when co-workers (phillipino I think but I coud be wrong) would reheat their fish lunches in the microwave and it wasn't just normal fish but some kind of aged/fermented fish that smells really fucking pungeant and the smell would permeate the whole office. Ugh.

I had a similar situation with a filipino co-worker a few years back. I just learned to eat lunch at 11am so I wouldn't be anywhere near the break room when she went to have lunch.

Bunta on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought this was about the Food network :(

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

yeah it's a good dish. specifically, it's Korean steamed rice, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed asian cucumbers/zuchinni(?), steamed spinach, sauteed diced carrots, pan cooked ground beef w/ a little soysauce, sesame seed oil, and ground garlic, steamed and then pan cooked bean sprounts with salt and sesame seed oil and sesame seeds themselves. the hot sauce is actually more of a paste. you add both the hot paste and sesame seed oil at whatever amount you want. and when i say sauteed, you can have those veggies any you want, you can sweat them, pan fry them (raw would be kind of weird though), or for an American twist, grill them (that sounds pretty awesome, i should try that). and don't be afraid to try putting in different stuff, you can use shitake mushrooms, bok choi, egg plant, etc. if you want it to be a bit more fresh, try putting in like thinly diced tubers. for the egg on top, just fry one egg, sunny side up. when i get mine piping hot, i just ask whoever to crack open a raw egg on top, and then i'll mix that around, have the rice/stone bowl cook it up, and then add my veggies and meat.

some non-korean people i know really like, and others really don't. either way, it's really healthy for you, and you can go as far as just 2-3 ingredients or 8-10, it's all preference and amount of time you have.

Edit:

beated by druhim. damn you wikipedia.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mmmmmmmmmm soju

Weaver on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tonight I will be making chili

No, not the chili I made last time Dru

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »

?????????

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am going to cook a can of ravioli later.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I am going to cook a can of ravioli later.

Overstuffed? This is important.
    Cheese, beef, sausage?

Lobster ravioli is the best but I hope it doesn't come in cans.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Beef.

Maybe overstuffed.

I can't remember.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i like spinach and ricotta ravioli yum yum

bongi on
  • Options
    balls of chocolateballs of chocolate Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Food is horrible. It ended my relationship.

balls of chocolate on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Food is horrible. It ended my relationship.

Did you try telling her to stop eating so much? Were you using food in the bedroom? Only fruit works in that situation. Fruit and dessert toppings. You shouldn't rub steak or mac n' cheese on a girl's nipple. They usually aren't into that.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The blasphemous V8 chili?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Don't put a quarter-bottle of concentrated green habanero sauce into it. Especially when the bottle is labeled entirely in spanish and was acquired in Mexico while on vacation. My ex did not know this advice when she made chili once. It was good, but we had to mix it with rice to taste it.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mexicans know how to make some quality food, I'll tell you that for free

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Don't put a quarter-bottle of concentrated green habanero sauce into it. Especially when the bottle is labeled entirely in spanish and was acquired in Mexico while on vacation. My ex did not know this advice when she made chili once. It was good, but we had to mix it with rice to taste it.
    Hahahaha.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Last time I ate ravioli I threw up on a city bus the next morning. A crowded city bus.

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FAQ wrote: »
    Mexicans know how to make some quality food, I'll tell you that, for free
    Yeah they make

chinese food

pizza

jewish takeout

tacos

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    Last time I ate ravioli it I threw up on a city bus the next morning. A crowded city bus.
    You're doing something wrong.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GOD DAMMIT

Homeless on