As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spoiler tag and search mechanism.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Dunno if anyone's brought this up or if you feel it's important enough tp necessitate exploration, alpha, but if you do a search (say a "latest posts" search for a particular user), anything in spoiler tags becomes visible. I guess the search function just ignores all tags?

Is it possible to enable to spoiler tag or something in searches?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Explain a scenario where someone runs a search for something, and doesn't find it before they encounter search results that not only contain spoilers, but major ones that fall within the 200 character snippet. Then explain how this is likely to happen repeatedly and to such a degree that action needs to be taken to protect people from the results of their own searches.

I just don't see how this could ever be a real problem.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, search results don't include BBCode, which is why getting a post with a quote string can be an annoyance.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    If you have the search return the full post it will include bbcode, the reason it is not included on selective returns is the bbcode end tag might not parsed. Is there a solution? Yes. Will I do it? No. The code would require rewritting the whole searching return algorithm and a significant part of the BBCode parser. Sorry.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Explain a scenario where someone runs a search for something, and doesn't find it before they encounter search results that not only contain spoilers, but major ones that fall within the 200 character snippet. Then explain how this is likely to happen repeatedly and to such a degree that action needs to be taken to protect people from the results of their own searches.

I just don't see how this could ever be a real problem.

When I searched for Raijin_Quickfoot's latest posts, it revealed a concise, enormous spoiler about Tales of Symphonia.

So I don't really have to explain anything for your sake, Pheezer. It is common sense that if the resultant searches ignore BBCODE, spoilers will abound. It's up to Alpha whether or not he wants to modify the boards in any way because of this. All I wanted to do was bring it to his attention.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    If you have the search return the full post it will include bbcode, the reason it is not included on selective returns is the bbcode end tag might not parsed. Is there a solution? Yes. Will I do it? No. The code would require rewritting the whole searching return algorithm and a significant part of the BBCode parser. Sorry.

That's cool.

Oh, I see. If I switch "Return First 200 Characters of Posts" to "All Available" it keeps the BBCODE? Never knew that. Is there any way to make that the default (or is there any way I can make it the default for my own searches)?

Drez on
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    No.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2004
    Sorry about that. I've also been meaning to tell you, at some point you're going to have to start wiping your own ass as well.

Tube on