As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    There's a Polygon writeup about the SS1 remake.
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Notably missing so far is the techno soundtrack, but hey, pre-alpha stuff.

Yeah about that
    Changing up the classic chiptune soundtrack to something a bit more subtle is one way that Night Dive hopes to achieve that goal [of making it more of a "horror experience"].

boo-urns

Zxerol on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I just hope they ease up on the eerie violin music for the final game. Dead Space inured me to that.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Hopefully they include a classic soundtrack option.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wow. That looks way better than I expected.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Having not experienced the first system shock, hearing the pa system transition from feeding you canned greetings to calling you a "filthy bag of meat" is intensely spooky, even in the trailer.

edit: SS2 spoilers (does anyone care about that?):
    I guess SS2 had something like that with Xerxes and his updates over the pa system, but SHODAN has that raw hatred thing going for her that works more for me. Xerxes was very passive and obviously just being used as a loudspeaker.

BloodySloth on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    double post

BloodySloth on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's so dark you'd never see the cameras otherwise.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    I really wish they didn't include the last frame. I honestly don't care what engine they're using, but I guess Unity's license requires it :(

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I figured it was worth bumping the proper thread up, now that there's some proper movement. It's listed on the kickstarter for the System Shock Reboot, but it bears pointing out that you can play the 'Pre-Alpha demo' on Steam, GOG and Humble right now:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/system-shock

edited June 2016
    Pledged and snagging the demo.

edit: Looks great, plays great. Crashed on me a few times, so sent in the reports. Watching that polygon video with someone playing made it look clunky as hell, but I guess they got the same dimwit who made the Doom video for that as well.

Nosf on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/kickstarted-system-shock-remaster-got-too-big-put-on-h-1823082070

System Shock remaster going on "hiatus" to "reassess their path" because somehow they managed to scope creep themselves into a corner with a game that should have just been a remaster.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Welp. Guess I’m not getting that twenty bucks back.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Welp. Guess I’m not getting that twenty bucks back.

The risk of Kickstarter. At least it was only $20?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw that too, first time I've been burned by a kickstarter backing. It's a bummer.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Shit. I only just now saw this news in my inbox, and it's really disappointing. Particularly since I was foolish and went in for more than the minimum, thinking that Nightdive had delivered on other ports in the past.

This pretty much sounds like PR speak for "We're out of money and the project's dead". I wonder if that gets them into any trouble with Kickstarter. Probably not.

I'll be disappointed if and when they come out and say it's off. Until then, business as usual - waiting.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I guess switching engines and picking a brand new graphics style and completely changing the aim and scope of the project partway through turned out not to be a perfect idea. I'm hoping they decide to go back to the original idea because that was what I was the most excited for.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I guess switching engines and picking a brand new graphics style and completely changing the aim and scope of the project partway through turned out not to be a perfect idea. I'm hoping they decide to go back to the original idea because that was what I was the most excited for.
    Have these people not even heard of Duke Nukem Forever?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DNF did that more than once though; at least Nightdive is smart enough to hit the pause button now and re-assess, instead of 14 years from now.

sig.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I do appreciate their honesty in the matter, even if I didn't want to hear it.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I'd sorta been idly wondering why I hadn't really heard much of anything about this, guess that'd explain it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I'd sorta been idly wondering why I hadn't really heard much of anything about this, guess that'd explain it.
    The weird thing is though, they've been doing monthly e-mail updates for the backers, with no hint of this.

sig.gif
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The kick starter company has nothing to do with the System Shock 3 annoucement correct?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    The kick starter company has nothing to do with the System Shock 3 annoucement correct?

Nightdive (SS1 remake) and OtherSide (SS3) are two separate things.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Eh, as shitty as what's happened with the remake I'm more hyped for SS3

Otherside is also doing the new (Ultima) Underworld Ascendant.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I never got a chance to play SS1. How does it hold up?

Rough, but still fun.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

It's from that era of FPS where there was no established standard for control schemes. Or mouselook.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

It's from that era of FPS where there was no established standard for control schemes. Or mouselook.

I guess I'll wait for the remake....

The Enhanced Edition on GOG does provide a more modern control scheme (notably, mouselook). Been a long ass time since I actually played it though, so can't really editorialize about how well the actual game holds up.

I guess I'll wait for the remake....

There's an enhanced edition available that adds mouselook and rebindable controls. It's still clunky as hell but at least the controls are no longer the worst of it.

edited February 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIBZb1I3mMw

YongYea does a lot of good investigative journalism, and it looks like backer concerns were already bouncing off the same problem signs as far back as a year ago that ended up finally derailing the project today.

Donnicton on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnh0l_Ecpx4

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Some good news in the latest KickStarter update. Apparently they are going back to the original idea and are already reasonably far along enough that they expect playtesting by August/September of this year. So don't give up on getting your reward after all.

I'm vaguely curious as to how many people were complaining about all this, and how many never really read what they were doing in the first place. The kickstarter pretty plainly stated they were making changes.

They obviously let there desires get bigger than their budget however. We wanted an updated version of System Shock.

edited April 2018
    The other big news: source for SS1 now GPL'd

https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

(Yes, it's the Classic Mac version as that's apparently the only version they could dig up.)

Zxerol on
    edited April 2018
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The other big news: source for SS1 now GPL'd

https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

(Yes, it's the Classic Mac version as that's apparently the only version they could dig up.)

Latest commit 21 hours ago

I guarantee you this source code is now already being ported to ten different platforms and an enhanced source launcher is at least 10% finished.

Donnicton on
    Well, the source code without the game data is just a kinda sub-par engine.

If it came with something that would let me produce Shodan's Voice however, I would go buy a mac just to be able to do that. :)