As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tamin wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Does SSP run without an original purchase?

Yes, according to the website it includes "the complete original English game of System Shock."

Which, in my view, makes it piracy.

It does indeed. Sorry guys.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I've [redacted] (or erased) the links in posts I have access to, and will PM TychoCelchuu, Xantus, and Tetra to do the same.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I went ahead and edited the links out of their posts.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I've [redacted] (or erased) the links in posts I have access to, and will PM TychoCelchuu, Xantus, and Tetra to do the same.

Already done. Sorry about that.

VuIBhrs.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I went ahead and edited the links out of their posts.

Awesome, thank you.

And again, our apologies.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

Already done. Sorry about that.

Nothing to be sorry about man, don't sweat it.

:^:

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So as a first time through would you recommend these graphics mods? I don't have a problem with graphics. In fact sometimes I love the late 90s PC graphics better than today. Is there something else to the mods I'm missing?

Steam: offday
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    If you're cool with the way the game looks and it's your first playthrough, I'd say go vanilla for sure. The GOG version should have everything you need for a complete experience, sans mods.

VuIBhrs.png
    TychoCelchuuuElvenshae
    edited February 2013
    anoffday wrote: »
    So as a first time through would you recommend these graphics mods? I don't have a problem with graphics. In fact sometimes I love the late 90s PC graphics better than today. Is there something else to the mods I'm missing?

I can recommend ZylonBane's SHTUP project, because it stays very true to the original art, but comes in at a higher resolution (i.e., it's much sharper).

I cannot recommend Rebirth, because it diverges from the original style. I prefer the original, low-poly. Like you, I find a certain charm in that era of gaming.

As the OP states, I don't have any experience with any of the others.

I'd actually recommend re-reading it! I've made considerable changes over the past day.

Tamin on
    TychoCelchuuuElvenshae
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Depends on the version of Rebirth being used. The first version sexualized an otherwise terrifying enemy, though the update brought it more in-line with the original artistic intention.

• ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Argh, I just realised there's no repair tools in the game, only maintenance tools.... Good news is that my pew-pew-pew is back online.

Cargo bay, goddamn. I think I've been through this game 3 times and yet still today when I sit down and play this area I'm freaking out. WHERE ARE YOU MONKEY, STOP SCREAMING...

I can't believe that this game still feels great after what, nearly 15 years? The tension is still there. So many areas where you see that a corpse in a dark corner, surrounded by blood and a gun.

edited February 2013
    Shutdown wrote: »
    Argh, I just realised there's no repair tools in the game, only maintenance tools.... Good news is that my pew-pew-pew is back online.

Cargo bay, goddamn. I think I've been through this game 3 times and yet still today when I sit down and play this area I'm freaking out. WHERE ARE YOU MONKEY, STOP SCREAMING...

I can't believe that this game still feels great after what, nearly 15 years? The tension is still there. So many areas where you see that a corpse in a dark corner, surrounded by blood and a gun.

Isn't it glorious?

Oh, that reminds me.

If you're new to the game, at some point, you will be directed to Cargo Bay A. Your first instinct will be to turn around and backtrack across half the game. Do not heed this instinct. The line fails to distinguish between the first set of cargo bays and the second.

The writer probably assumed calling it "A" would be enough; the first set are, after all, numbered. But, no. No, it isn't enough.

edit: there are repair tools, but they are very rare.

Tamin on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    This really does remind me of a very unnerving deus ex. I'm liking it so far. But I just started and feel completely lost. Right now I feel like I'm basically just randomly going into rooms and looting corpses. Do I have a goal right now or somewhere I need to go?

Steam: offday
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    so i've decided to go full psi with only the wrench as my backup. Turrets are mean now, but I it takes less psi to just speedyself and run then to cryo them dead.. :D

edited February 2013
    anoffday wrote: »
    This really does remind me of a very unnerving deus ex. I'm liking it so far. But I just started and feel completely lost. Right now I feel like I'm basically just randomly going into rooms and looting corpses. Do I have a goal right now or somewhere I need to go?

I believe if you click the blue button ("PDA") on the bottom-right of the use mode interface, there should be a "notes" section. This should give you a to-do list. There's also an email section, where you can replay any voicemails you've received. You aren't given a real objective until you try to access a certain door in the first major area, iirc.

OP updated with some weapon and door information. Increasingly TL;DR?

Weapons:
    "o" switches weapon mode, assuming the weapon has such a thing
    "b" switches ammunition type, assuming the weapon has such a thing and assuming you have some.

Doors:
    I'd recommend you scribble down each code you're given along with a note indicating which door it opens. You can type them in "early" on your next playthrough.

Tamin on
    edited February 2013
    Xantus wrote: »
    so i've decided to go full psi with only the wrench as my backup. Turrets are mean now, but I it takes less psi to just speedyself and run then to cryo them dead.. :D

On Impossible, correct?

I don't remember if I used the wrench as a backup. I remember doing a psi-only run, though.

The laser-pistol only run is hilarious, especially if you don't start with one.
    the first one you find is in Engineering, in the cargo bays. It's also broken.

... it took some creative thinking and save-loading to get out of that jam. (pun not intended)

Tamin on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm very boring, having plumped to reintroduce myself to the game with a Hacker-STANDARD/heavy weapons-Support Psi role. That said, it's Deck 3 and I haven't actually bought any Psi powers yet. But I'd like invisibility and electron cascade.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I love to hate the Cargo Bays.

1A is the worst, due to all the robots, but they're all awful with almost no light to speak of.

RMS Oceanic on
    Anyone remember to hack the vending machine in the theatre on level 5? 640 credit sodas!

Chuckles were had.

Tamin
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The basketball Easter egg in this game drove me insane trying to actually get it in the hoop towards the end. Well worth the effort though.

I will have to buy this game again to have a digital copy. My physical copy is god knows where now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Tamin
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    if you like psytrance and system shock

woah someone made a wierdass video for it.

there's admittedly not that much system shock in it, but if that dropped at a party I'd probably flip out.

Xantus on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    SS1 is not a key shooter at all, it's actually FPS Ultima Underworld. It's the same engine re-purposed. Of course you still need to find a key card or code, but the level design is pretty dungeony and non-linear.

There's also a mouselook mod for it, separate from that thing that was removed from the thread.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I just ran in to the lady cyborgs.
    Yep. This game is pretty fucking creepy.

Rizzi on
    SorceElvenshaeCommander ZoomRoyceSraphim
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    I'm torn. I have a physical copy of System Shock 2 (and a disc image of it on my NAS, negating a lot of the benefits of a digital copy), but I'm still tempted to buy this in the hopes that if enough people get it GOG will find a way to put the original game up for sale, too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dooo iiit. One of the best pieces of gaming history for the price of two 11" subs.

Tamin
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I just ran in to the lady cyborgs.
    Yep. This game is pretty fucking creepy.

Best way to deal with Cyber Midwives:
    Run right up to them, crouch and whack with the wrench. She'll rarely hit you.

Xenogear_0001
    edited February 2013
    RBach wrote: »
    I'm torn. I have a physical copy of System Shock 2 (and a disc image of it on my NAS, negating a lot of the benefits of a digital copy), but I'm still tempted to buy this in the hopes that if enough people get it GOG will find a way to put the original game up for sale, too.

you'll also get a digital copy of the manual, the soundtrack, some concept art, and a few other goodies.

The (current) list:

manual
    wallpaper
    Ken Levine radio interview
    soundtrack (FLAC)
    soundtrack (MP3)
    SHODAN full size render
    artworks
    pitch document
    concept maps

The concept maps weren't there yesterday. I don't think. Hopefully more will be added - right now, it's just two versions of hydroponics

Haven't looked at the wallpapers yet. Nor the radio interview.

Glanced over the pitch document and the artworks; they're pretty cool.

The full size render is massive and insanely detailed - it's been floating around for a few years.

Tamin on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, the concept maps were there from the moment they offered it for sale.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    Yeah, the concept maps were there from the moment they offered it for sale.

weird that I didn't see them. Oh well.

edited February 2013
    Spoiler'd for awesome
    Goooooood. You murdered their yooooung...

That pretty much sums up the late game. I'm really amazed that this game doesn't feel dated at all, playing this feels exactly as enjoyable as it was 10 years ago - other ports have felt too dated, this thing just feels great.

Shutdown on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Alright. Finally getting into the meat of the game. The delicious meat.
    Out of the cargo bay now, and finally getting the hang of killing things with the wrench. Got some basic psi powers, and I can finally repair the shotgun when it decays.

And now I've got a laser sword. Ho Ho Ho.

Tamin
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Spoiler'd for awesome

That pretty much sums up the late game. I'm really amazed that this game doesn't feel dated at all, playing this feels exactly as enjoyable as it was 10 years ago - other ports have felt too dated, this thing just feels great.

Aside from the balance of the classes and abilities, the core mechanics and gameplay ideas behind SS2 are still pretty solid.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Going through the game using only the wrench is the best thing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Alright. Finally getting into the meat of the game. The delicious meat.
    Out of the cargo bay now, and finally getting the hang of killing things with the wrench. Got some basic psi powers, and I can finally repair the shotgun when it decays.

And now I've got a laser sword. Ho Ho Ho.

can you
    use the lightsaber laser rapier yet?

Geth
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Spoiler'd for awesome

That part you spoilered. I haven't finished the game myself, and only seen that in an LP once, but, when I read that I could remember the way it was said perfectly. I think that's telling on how good the game is, when you can hear a line one time, and that one time is all you need to remember it perfectly.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Spoiler'd for awesome

That part you spoilered. I haven't finished the game myself, and only seen that in an LP once, but, when I read that I could remember the way it was said perfectly. I think that's telling on how good the game is, when you can hear a line one time, and that one time is all you need to remember it perfectly.

oh yes.

It's been said before, but the sound design is wonderful, and that includes voice acting.

Though I have been told that Delacroix's accent is terrible, and assume the other accents don't fare much better.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    Though I have been told that Delacroix's accent is terrible, and assume the other accents don't fare much better.

Yeah, Delacroix's accent is terrible, but that can easily be forgiven in light of all the other wonderful bits of sound design. The sounds generated by non-human things in this game, does wonders for creeping the hell out of you on more than one occasion. Heck, just thinking about it I can recall exactly the noise the ambient hum of the Von Braun's systems make - it's just that memorable.

Xenogear_0001
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This is the first game where the sounds are what creeped me out. Hearing a midwife...Not knowing where she is. Sends chills up your spine.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Xenogear_0001