As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    Though I have been told that Delacroix's accent is terrible, and assume the other accents don't fare much better.

Yeah, Delacroix's accent is terrible, but that can easily be forgiven in light of all the other wonderful bits of sound design. The sounds generated by non-human things in this game, does wonders for creeping the hell out of you on more than one occasion. Heck, just thinking about it I can recall exactly the noise the ambient hum of the Von Braun's systems make - it's just that memorable.

Put it this way: She is not pronouncing her own name correctly.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Tamin wrote:
    Though I have been told that Delacroix's accent is terrible, and assume the other accents don't fare much better.

Yeah, Delacroix's accent is terrible, but that can easily be forgiven in light of all the other wonderful bits of sound design. The sounds generated by non-human things in this game, does wonders for creeping the hell out of you on more than one occasion. Heck, just thinking about it I can recall exactly the noise the ambient hum of the Von Braun's systems make - it's just that memorable.

Put it this way: She is not pronouncing her own name correctly.

That's perfectly acceptable pronunciation in Space French!

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Favorite moment on SS2 has to be one of the first time you meet some of the current inhabitants.
    Like, when the zombie with the wrench-hand is yelling at you to kill him... while he's beating you to death.

sig.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    This is the first game where the sounds are what creeped me out. Hearing a midwife...Not knowing where she is. Sends chills up your spine.

For me, it's the monkeys.

Midwives, you charge and bludgeon until they are dead, they go down easy, and they're big targets if you use the pistol.

Monkeys are tiny and hard to pinpoint.

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    This is the first game where the sounds are what creeped me out. Hearing a midwife...Not knowing where she is. Sends chills up your spine.

For me, it's the monkeys.

Midwives, you charge and bludgeon until they are dead, they go down easy, and they're big targets if you use the pistol.

Monkeys are tiny and hard to pinpoint.

Also... they sound like super angry monkeys!

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The midwife's laser is pretty nasty.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The midwife's laser is pretty nasty.

Which is why you go all ambush predator.

Wrench, you're a good friend.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I firmly believe the Portal turrets are based on the protocol droids.

"Excellent choice, sir!" *BOOM*

Just reached the gardens on Deck 5 and rediscovered my fear of spiders. D:

Someone knocking on my door is now 63% more likely to make me jump.

RMS Oceanic on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Okay, uploaded to my Drive. I hope this works. Here it is.

This zip file contains all the recommended mods from systemshock.org. Those include:
    • 1. SHTUP (object textures upgrade)
    • 2. ADaoB (bug fixing and rebalancing)
    • 3. SHMUP (original music, better quality)
    • 4. Rebirth (new enemy models)
    • 5. Four Hundred (environment texture upgrade)
    • 6. Tacticool (weapon model replacements for Wrench, Pistol, Laser Pistol, Grenade Launcher, Assault Rifle, and Shotgun)
    • 7. Eldron Psi Amp (model upgrade)
    • 8. Vurt's Space Textures (for nice window views)
    • 9. Vurt's Goo (organics)

To set these up, all you should need to do is unzip the contents of this archive to /DataPermMods. Make sure there are files in /DataPermMods, and that you haven't unzipped to a subdirectory in there. I think the zip spews out all the mod files into a parent subdirectory, so just copy the contents of that completely to /DataPermMods and leave the empt folder behind.

One quick way to verify that the mods are running is to start a new game and approach one of the dataphones after you step off the tram. If you can read the text, then SHTUP is running correctly, at the very least.
    What to do if this doesn't work?

Nm missed the obj folder

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I got it, thanks though.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I finally have the assault rifle! :D

Well technically I've had it since MedSci 2, but now I can use it!

Sing to this

LanrutconSorceStormwatcher
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Dug out my old SS2 disc to install this bad girl again. Tried to rip and image of it for posterity's sake. Remembered the wonderful days of CD copy protection as ImgBurn started spitting out loads of SafeDisc sector errors. Did a plain copy instead. Installer wouldn't work without a launch parameter. Found out SS2Tool could just install and setup the game for you anyway. Mumbled about how re-buying the game on GoG probably would've been faster.

On the flipside, I haven't played this game in years, and the fact that it runs perfectly, in widescreen, with full video support sans having to install that blasted Intel Indeo codec on a modern Windows machine is nothing short of a small miracle.

And goddamn is this game still as atmospheric and tense as it ever was.

jdarksunTetraNitroCubane
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    Want to avoid spoilers, so not reading through everything here, but as someone who never played this and just grabbed it on GoG with no modding what-so-ever, I am amazed at how good this game is. There are a few oddities in control that are easy to tweak (no E for use, movement binds, the lean functions, etc.) and the menus for psi abilities are a bit clunky, but damn, right from the start, this game is just excellent.

I especially love that, instead of just clicking buttons on character creation, your starting stats are incorporated in to your training and a span of several years instead of, *poof*, you now know SCIENCE! Also, SCIENCE is pretty sweet.

Will stop there, but damn impressed so far. Its nice to see a game actually live up to its hype.

steam_sig.png

jdarksunDrovekElvenshaeStormwatcher
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, the way they did character creation in this game is one of my favorite things. I mean, it's essentially the same thing as the character questionnaires that they used to have at the beginning of the Elder Scrolls games, but something about the way it's done here is just way more ... immersive.

Taminchiasaur11
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    Want to avoid spoilers, so not reading through everything here, but as someone who never played this and just grabbed it on GoG with no modding what-so-ever, I am amazed at how good this game is. There are a few oddities in control that are easy to tweak (no E for use, movement binds, the lean functions, etc.) and the menus for psi abilities are a bit clunky, but damn, right from the start, this game is just excellent.

I especially love that, instead of just clicking buttons on character creation, your starting stats are incorporated in to your training and a span of several years instead of, *poof*, you now know SCIENCE! Also, SCIENCE is pretty sweet.

Will stop there, but damn impressed so far. Its nice to see a game actually live up to its hype.

we look forward to hearing your thoughts as you progress!

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Just started this today and I've got one question. Music or no music?

Also, I'm not sure if GoG or one of the recommended mods added it, but somebody put a "Standard FPS" control scheme if you check under load. Should someone want an easy rebind.

Music!

The music starts off a little intense, but gets dialed back pretty quick. Keep it on.

Minor easter egg for the start of the game:

As you're about to head off for year 3 of training, observe the protocol droid behind the glass in the other room.

Tamin
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There is a basketball at the street area right before the training building (the place where you chose your career path). You can climb a buttress thingie to the right.
    If you manage to take that basketball to the court in the Rickenbaker, there's a little easter egg. I think the Bball court in DX and DXHR are a homage to this.

Also, I think this game is where the "451" code as a first code in the game got started.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    There is a basketball at the street area right before the training building (the place where you chose your career path). You can climb a buttress thingie to the right.
    If you manage to take that basketball to the court in the Rickenbaker, there's a little easter egg. I think the Bball court in DX and DXHR are a homage to this.

Also, I think this game is where the "451" code as a first code in the game got started.

System Shock 1 beat System Shock 2 to it, alas.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Almost everything good System Shock 2 does is done in System Shock 1 better :p

MechMantisCommander Zoomkaliyama

The court is on the Von Braun, not the Rickenbacker.

DXHR may be homaging DX, but the court in DX isn't an homage to SS2 - at least not directly. I've always heard it exists mostly because it's a useful way to test the physics engine. IIRC, Thief has a basketball net (or maybe a full court?) in the training area.

edited February 2013

Because that control scheme truly was so easy to work with. :P

subedii on

And throwing grenades was a positive delight.

No, wait. The other thing.

edited February 2013
    I do want to encourage new people to post in the thread. And, so far, people have been very good about not spoiling anything of substance.

Just to make it explicit, though: the law of the land for spoilers will be
    1) if it's remotely a plot point, put it in tags. (Major spoilers)
    this applies most fully to any and all references to SHODAN. You'll note I went out of my way (in the OP) to make it unclear that SHODAN exists in this game. Let them wonder. But also talking about Delacroix sending a message; Tommy and Rebecca; Diego's struggle; and so on should be hidden.

You're all good people, though, so I don't think this will be a problem.

2) I'd like to keep a lid on the enemy names, also. A handful are out of the bag, but they're relatively early.
    Worms, Rumblers and Psi Reavers should remain secret, if possible.

3) Locations I'm kind of iffy on
    Spoiling that you enter the Body of the Many is a big no-no; that should be a surprise. As should Citadel.

But otherwise... saying you end up on Command at some point ought to be fine - so long as no other information is present outside of the tags:
    "Oh man, I'm on Command and {SPOILER}" is what I'm going for here.

That seems like a good starting place. If anyone feels that something not covered here should count as spoiler, let me know and I'll see about adding it to the list.

Tamin on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    McHoger wrote:
    Just started this today and I've got one question. Music or no music?

I'd say Music! There's some pretty damn good pieces of music that enhance your experience. Heck, the music track for medsci still makes me think of running frantically through spaceship corridors pursued by all manner of horrors.

Fun fact!: Besides Eric Brosius, one of the guys who worked on the soundtrack for System Shock 2, was Ramin Djawadi who these days is known for his work on the soundtrack for Iron Man, and the HBO Game of Thrones TV show.

Operative21 on
    I put together a questionnaire to see with which character you'd like to see me try to beat System Shock 2 in "Ironman" (no Restructuring, no savescumming) mode.

Voted

Mulletude
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I put together a questionnaire to see with which character you'd like to see me try to beat System Shock 2 in "Ironman" (no Restructuring, no savescumming) mode.

Your respondents are mean

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Although I guess a pure Psionics run means never needing to give a shit about Maintenance skill/tools

So that's something

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Your respondents are mean
    What? You expected people to not say "Psionics only on impossible" when he says "Ironman"

M A G I K A Z A M
    DoctorArch
    Quick first time play through update: Currently hiding in an elevator playing on the mobile gaming device I found while waiting for some SCIENCE to wrap up.

Way to be awesome, game.

steam_sig.png

TaminTychoCelchuuuStormwatcherjdarksun
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Quick first time play through update: Currently hiding in an elevator playing on the mobile gaming device I found while waiting for some SCIENCE to wrap up.

Way to be awesome, game.
    I have to say that you really get it. Seriously.

What floor are you up to?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    jdarksun

Way to be awesome, game.

Just opened up 4 and 5, though starting on 4. I am mostly going Psi, though dabbling in standard weapons and enough maintenance to keep em functional. However, I find myself unable to resist the call of SCIENCE, so that is a thing I feel compelled to do whenever it presents itself.

The shortage of Sodium in this ship was most annoying.

Game continues to keep an excellent environment and the stream of audio logs playing while I run around just gives the atmosphere constant character. Shit has gotten quite real on level 4, which took me a bit by surprise.

Though my trusty wrench has served me well, SCIENCE demanded it be set aside. However, SCIENCE left me ill prepared and my excitment to apply my newfound knowledge did not impress the
    Cyborg Assassins

and I was summarily sent back to be reconstructed... two or three times.

steam_sig.png

Way to be awesome, game.

Just opened up 4 and 5, though starting on 4. I am mostly going Psi, though dabbling in standard weapons and enough maintenance to keep em functional. However, I find myself unable to resist the call of SCIENCE, so that is a thing I feel compelled to do whenever it presents itself.

The shortage of Sodium in this ship was most annoying.

Game continues to keep an excellent environment and the stream of audio logs playing while I run around just gives the atmosphere constant character. Shit has gotten quite real on level 4, which took me a bit by surprise.

Though my trusty wrench has served me well, SCIENCE demanded it be set aside. However, SCIENCE left me ill prepared and my excitment to apply my newfound knowledge did not impress the
    Cyborg Assassins

and I was summarily sent back to be reconstructed... two or three times.
    The Cyborg Assassins don't like laser swords to the face. That's Science in action right there.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

And throwing grenades was a positive delight.

No, wait. The other thing.

I have blown myself up with grenades and nitro packs way, way more often than I should. Usually when I'm reaching for the explosives in SS1 it's an act of pure desperation. On my current playthrough, I found an earthshaker explosive. I presume all it will be good for is reducing me to a fine paste. Seriously, though, having to pretty much take your focus and put it squarely on the inventory to prime the explosives, and then having the wonky behavior of getting caught/exploding on ceilings and walls pretty much promises you'll be your own worst enemy with them.

But when they do work properly, they can save your damn behind.

VuIBhrs.png
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Okay, so I made the apparently fatal mistake of playing as a Marine in my first attempt - things seemed to go okay until I reached the Cargo Bays, then everything went way south. I restarted with Navy, and investing heavily in hacking makes it actually useful; combined with Research I'm doing pretty well.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it so far. . . I've been dying to try this out for the longest time, but now that I've actually had the chance to play it everything seems a bit too stilted and cumbersome to me. I appreciate the atmosphere but haven't found it that disturbing yet, and it's way too easy to get screwed, which isn't very enjoyable at all. I understand this is supposed to be more demanding than Bioshock was, but it's been more annoying than anything thus far.