As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Okay, so I made the apparently fatal mistake of playing as a Marine in my first attempt - things seemed to go okay until I reached the Cargo Bays, then everything went way south. I restarted with Navy, and investing heavily in hacking makes it actually useful; combined with Research I'm doing pretty well.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it so far. . . I've been dying to try this out for the longest time, but now that I've actually had the chance to play it everything seems a bit too stilted and cumbersome to me. I appreciate the atmosphere but haven't found it that disturbing yet, and it's way too easy to get screwed, which isn't very enjoyable at all. I understand this is supposed to be more demanding than Bioshock was, but it's been more annoying than anything thus far.
    There's not really a wrong way to play; some builds are just more reliant on you scrounging around for ammo and nanites.

If you're looking for a build that's pretty accessible to new players, or if you'd like some tips, we're happy to help.

jdarksun on
    I'll keep accepting votes for my first run for another ~7 hours, but right now O.S.A with +2 Psi Ability is a pretty strong forerunner. The difficulty level (Hard v. Impossible) is still up in the air. Play a Psi guy on Impossible would be super tough even with reloads, but maybe the challenge is part of the charm. ;)

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Okay, so I made the apparently fatal mistake of playing as a Marine in my first attempt - things seemed to go okay until I reached the Cargo Bays, then everything went way south. I restarted with Navy, and investing heavily in hacking makes it actually useful; combined with Research I'm doing pretty well.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it so far. . . I've been dying to try this out for the longest time, but now that I've actually had the chance to play it everything seems a bit too stilted and cumbersome to me. I appreciate the atmosphere but haven't found it that disturbing yet, and it's way too easy to get screwed, which isn't very enjoyable at all. I understand this is supposed to be more demanding than Bioshock was, but it's been more annoying than anything thus far.
    That's one of the main reasons I like the first System Shock more (and one of the reasons I'm glad BioShock dumped the RPG stuff and went back to the System Shock paradigm). Character builds and XP and skills are cool and stuff in the abstract but for a new player you often feel like you're at some disadvantage because you chose the wrong skills. As jdarksun points out, you actually aren't fucked 99% of the time, but it feels like it if you don't know what you're doing, leading to people feeling like they have to restart.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    These days folks are used to easy games. I mean, you literally couldn't fail in Bioshock. So yeah, System Shock is more demanding.

So is making toast.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Tamin
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yo, I'm just here to say (operations spoilers)
    fuck Malik and his goddamn trap at SimUnit 3! Fuck him! FUCK HIM! FUCK YOU, MALIK, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

Silas Brown on
    TaminElvenshae
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    august wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    This is the first game where the sounds are what creeped me out. Hearing a midwife...Not knowing where she is. Sends chills up your spine.

For me, it's the monkeys.

Midwives, you charge and bludgeon until they are dead, they go down easy, and they're big targets if you use the pistol.

Monkeys are tiny and hard to pinpoint.

Also... they sound like super angry monkeys!
    They're cool, they just want to shoot a little bball with you.

Any build is viable with a little patience, I played through as a straight soldier with a minor in hacking the first time around. This was back in the day, before they patched weapon durability. It's definitely a game from before the days of "every player is a beautiful and unique snowflake who must be dragged to the winner's circle" school of design took over.

Nosf on
    Elvenshae
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The only place I ever got stuck in this game (barring the end) is finding the code you need to punch in by the pool. And the numbers flash on random screens throughout the dorm area. Every damn time.

Yo, I'm just here to say (operations spoilers)
    fuck Malik and his goddamn trap at SimUnit 3! Fuck him! FUCK HIM! FUCK YOU, MALIK, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!
    Response:
    Retreat to the ladder, let the spiders group up, fire a grenade.
    The only place I ever got stuck in this game (barring the end) is finding the code you need to punch in by the pool. And the numbers flash on random screens throughout the dorm area. Every damn time.
    I never fail to miss ONE of those screens. I took Steam screenshots this time. :)

Silas Brown
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    I have the digits memorized, I think..
    10180?

MoosehatIV
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    You don't need all the numbers. Just the ones at the beginning or the end; after that, you can brute force it really easily.

edited February 2013
    Tamin wrote: »
    You don't need all the numbers. Just the ones at the beginning or the end; after that, you can brute force it really easily.
    It's a five digit number. There are literally a thousand combinations of [NxxxM].

Edit: Never mind, read what you wrote too literally. Yeah, you can brute force a missing digit or two.

jdarksun on
    Geth
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Have not seen mention of coop. Does current version not support it? Had good times with it back in college, when it wasn't flaking out at least.

DreadBert on
    edited February 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »

There's not really a wrong way to play; some builds are just more reliant on you scrounging around for ammo and nanites.

If you're looking for a build that's pretty accessible to new players, or if you'd like some tips, we're happy to help.

While that's true as far as it goes, there is absolutely a wrong way to play: by treating the game as just an FPS. You can't go in guns blazing and hope to survive.

... there is a chance that Grim may feel I'm assuming that he was playing in this fashion. That is not what I'm saying.

edit: DreadBert - coop should work, but I haven't heard anything definite. If you're interesting in trying to get a group going, I will be happy to add a section to the OP.

Tamin on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Build advice requested! I'm
    On the Command Deck, having just blown up Korenchkin and am about to board the Rickenbacker
    , so I'd like advice with what to do with the 45 cyber modules burning a whole in my pocket. Also, should I spend my remaining nanites on anything in particular before proceeding?

Current Build so far:
    Navy
    STR 6
    END 3
    PSI 3
    AGI 4
    CYB 5

Hack 6
    Repair 0
    Modify 2
    Maintian 6
    Research 1

Standard 6
    Heavy 1
    Others 0

I switch between the assault rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher and wrench

PSI Powers
    Agility
    Electron Cascade
    Invisibility

Perks: Two Implants, Extra Melee Damage, Extra Shooting Damage. What should my fourth be?

RMS Oceanic on
    I'd probably upgrade modify. Though I can't remember how much you need to fully upgrade those weapons. Might be you have enough.

I do like agility, so maybe a point there. Possibly Cybernetic Affinity and a level in PSI, as well, to help those powers.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I forgot to mention,
    My weapons are all fully modified. Thank you French-Epstein device!

Also I have around 20 maintenance tools. Is that enough to take me to the end of the game?

While that's true as far as it goes, there is absolutely a wrong way to play: by treating the game as just an FPS. You can't go in guns blazing and hope to survive.
    Sure you can, you're just going to be spending a lot of nanites on ammo, health, and reconstruction.
    Build advice requested!
    You're basically set for that build. A couple things you could do:
    Bring AGI (less recoil) and Heavy (bonus Grenade Launcher damage) to 6.

Then pick up PSI stuff for fun.

As for Perks...
    +20% stim bonus, to get more mileage out of +Psi stims.

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Have not seen mention of coop. Does current version not support it? Had good times with it back in college, when it wasn't flaking out at least.

Coop absolutely does work, at least with the base GoG install, mods seem to make it more unstable. The group I'm playing with are up to the cargo bays and it's been a blast so far.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Sure you can, you're just going to be spending a lot of nanites on ammo, health, and reconstruction.
    Build advice requested!

As for Perks...
    I actually chose Marine just so I wouldn't have to spend points on Standard Weapons and hopefully invest in stuff like Hacking or Psi; turns out I didn't expect it would be so expensive just to be able to use them - and at their lowest ranks they're pretty ineffective - and wound up running out of supplies in the Cargo Bay. I didn't know that Navy also had that, as well as the Hack and Strength choices. I knew this wasn't "just another FPS" when I started, I just didn't know things would be so darned stringent.

Well, now I know better.

I forgot to mention,
    My weapons are all fully modified. Thank you French-Epstein device!

Also I have around 20 maintenance tools. Is that enough to take me to the end of the game?

Yeah, I think you should be fine.

• MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I am going to go straight home and reinstall System Shock 2. Thanks guys, I hate you all. And I love you.
    Maybe now System Shock 2 will become like Deus Ex. Everytime it's mentioned, anywhere, about a hundred people reinstall it.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
    jdarksunTaminElvenshaeDrakeCommander Zoom
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Malakaius wrote: »

Coop absolutely does work, at least with the base GoG install, mods seem to make it more unstable. The group I'm playing with are up to the cargo bays and it's been a blast so far.

Dang, it may well be time to get again then. Got a buddy used to play it with back in the day and its old enough net code that it might survive cell data.

Mattitude wrote: »
    I am going to go straight home and reinstall System Shock 2. Thanks guys, I hate you all. And I love you.
    Maybe now System Shock 2 will become like Deus Ex. Everytime it's mentioned, anywhere, about a hundred people reinstall it.

This is my fondest hope, and one of the reasons I was so happy to see GOG finally pick it.

Elvenshae
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Honestly, even people who own the original cd-rom (like me) should just buy the gog version.

It just works.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Honestly, even people who own the original cd-rom (like me) should just buy the gog version.

It just works.

I lost my original CD-Rom years ago so I've been unable to play it. I've signed up for GOG and downloaded it in the last 20 minutes and now I'm installing it. GOG is AWESOME.

Tamin
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Build advice requested!

As for Perks...
    I actually chose Marine just so I wouldn't have to spend points on Standard Weapons and hopefully invest in stuff like Hacking or Psi; turns out I didn't expect it would be so expensive just to be able to use them - and at their lowest ranks they're pretty ineffective - and wound up running out of supplies in the Cargo Bay. I didn't know that Navy also had that, as well as the Hack and Strength choices. I knew this wasn't "just another FPS" when I started, I just didn't know things would be so darned stringent.

Well, now I know better.

It's really easy to get stuck on the Cargo Bays. I always feel like I come close to getting stuck there and I've played through the game four or five times.

august on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm about to head to Deck 4, and thank goodness for Hacking, which has yielded quite a bit of good stuff. I'm also putting points in Maintenance and Repair for when I can't find any tools (and the odd nice broken weapon). I tried the first laser pistol I came across, but didn't like the results for the fifteen points needed to use it, so yeah, I'm sticking to Standard Weapons for now. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I've found a good balance of what works.

Tamin
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Repair is pretty much garbage. Just maintain your weapons so they never break.

Repair can be useful if you're heavily dependent of ammo and/or stims (there are a handful of broken vending machines in useful locations), but generally speaking, you can get away with 0 points in it and 1 point in Modify.

Oh, this game is even better than I remember. I'm also worse at it than I remember. And it's terrifying

edited February 2013
    Okay, I'm about to head to Deck 4, and thank goodness for Hacking, which has yielded quite a bit of good stuff. I'm also putting points in Maintenance and Repair for when I can't find any tools (and the odd nice broken weapon). I tried the first laser pistol I came across, but didn't like the results for the fifteen points needed to use it, so yeah, I'm sticking to Standard Weapons for now. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I've found a good balance of what works.

Laser pistol is civilization

at least for me

I love it so so much. You get two of those, put them on overload? Tap '5' after each shot?

"I am become death", indeed.

Tamin on
    edited February 2013
    I'll probably be forced to use them in this upcoming Impossible Psi run. You monsters.

Edit: And Hard is leading! Yay!

jdarksun on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'll probably be forced to use them in this upcoming Impossible Psi run. You monsters.

Edit: And Hard is leading! Yay!
    Did you really except anything different? We are an internet community. We feed on the schadenfreude.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Repair is pretty much garbage. Just maintain your weapons so they never break.

You know what's the best? When you conflate the repair skill with maintenance. Ooops!

Man I didn't need those cybermodules anyway.

Alright! Gigabyte finally came through and now I have a video card again.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So, how's the multiplayer support in GOG's version? I'm pondering surprise-gifting a friend so I can smugly enjoy his terror as we run through her corridors, panting and sweating.

Echo wrote: »
    So, how's the multiplayer support in GOG's version? I'm pondering surprise-gifting a friend so I can smugly enjoy his terror as we run through her corridors, panting and sweating.
    Malakaius has had some success:
    Malakaius wrote: »

Echo
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2013
    I haven't played it in over a decade, but I loved (non-gameplay, but minor mid-game story spoiler)
    Xerxes doing batshit announcements when he gets compromised, such as droid poetry readings.

Echo on
    That's one of my favorite things as well.

If you want to test Co-Op, I'll be available in about 45 min.