As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So, how's the multiplayer support in GOG's version? I'm pondering surprise-gifting a friend so I can smugly enjoy his terror as we run through her corridors, panting and sweating.

I would say do it, We haven't had a single crash except for when I foolishly installed some texture mods, and it hasn't crashed since I uninstalled them. So play it GoG Vanilla and you should be fine.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I just started this game for the forst time.

Navy with hacking bonuses.

I was a little disconcerted with how the first enemies say all sorts of different things, but then I introduced them to my wrench. Problem solved.

Same with cameras. Speaking of, do they spawn infinite enemies? I know I kept setting off alarms to pull enemies and clobber them from behind. Never ran out of them though.

PS ammo is expensive. I'm going to keep using my spanner for as long as possible.

PPS little robots with guns. :(

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Enemies do continually respawn.

jdarksun
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Cameras that sound alerts will keep sending enemies after you until you shut down the alarm with a security console - it's annoying as hell, yes, but it can be solved by a single bullet to the camera before it spots you. And yes, the wrench is a good way to conserve ammo, especially early on; that's why I'm planning on adding to STR whenever I can because the extra melee power and carrying capacity are always useful.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Oh man I gotta try the Jedi build I've always wanted.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    So I just started this game for the forst time.

Navy with hacking bonuses.

I was a little disconcerted with how the first enemies say all sorts of different things, but then I introduced them to my wrench. Problem solved.

Same with cameras. Speaking of, do they spawn infinite enemies? I know I kept setting off alarms to pull enemies and clobber them from behind. Never ran out of them though.

PS ammo is expensive. I'm going to keep using my spanner for as long as possible.

PPS little robots with guns. :(

Good man :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Let us know if you have any questions, ok?

edit: OP updated; added a small section on multiplayer.

Tamin on
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    This game has coop?

Really?

I thought I was done :rotate:

So, I just now read through some of the thread, and am seeing that Psi is not recommended for first play through. Is that because it makes the game harder or easier?

Will put some of my experience in spoiler below, but overall this game was most excellent and easily places in my all time favorites, right up there with Planescape: Torment. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!
    The audio was just excellent. I said that already I think, but it really made the atmosphere shine. Xerxes' droid poetry announcements, Shodan congratulating me by calling me an insect or a "shining example of a pitiful race," and the various logs left by the crew all came together and really pulled off something special here.

I also enjoyed that the game was strong in its survival elements and shifted away from the need to kill everything. Something clicked down in engineering when I saw a hybrid stalking around above me. I almost started shooting, and then thought, "wait, why take that shot?" I let him wander by and snuck away. Enemies became obstacles to be avoided/dealt with as oppose to a means to wealth and power like they are in so many other games that call themselves an RPG.

Even with that initial click though, some part of my brain short circuited and I didn't see the value in invisibility until that final tunnel inside The Many where all those big guys come pouring out. Five times trying to fight my way through and repeatedly dying finally triggered the repressed part of my brain that said, "Hey, insect. You can turn Invisible. WTF are you doing? " I then casually strolled past dozens of The Many's baddest asses and unceremoniously slaughtered their hive mind.

Back near the start, I almost restarted, because experiences with other leveling systems in older RPGs taught me that I could build myself in to a wall. I stuck with it though, and it became apparent that you really get more than enough cyber modules to rally any build once you get the feel for how gameplay works. You don't, however, get near enough to do everything, which I was quite happy with.

Research, as a thing in the game, just made me so happy. Maybe I am just odd, but finding something to research, then back tracking to a chemical closet and waiting for the results was just such an enjoyable thing to do. I backtracked through all of the stupid Rickenbacker just so I could douse a shirt made of worms in chemicals. I didn't even really need the bonuses it offered at that point, by I wore the thing anyway because who am I to second guess SCIENCE! Only things I didn't research were the level 6 weapon and enhancement right near the end, did I miss out on anything awesome there?

Oh, and I loved me some annelid thorn action, which I found, contrary to intuition, was the best method of dealing with pesky cyborg assassins (that took me awhile, because the idea of closing in on a cyborg assassin just seemed bad). Being Psi dependant, all those cybernetic types, which there was a whole lot of, really gave me a hard time. Sure, I could shut down the big guys and run past them eventually, but several times they are in the way and need to die. And turrets, ugh, those things tore me to pieces. I burned through AP ammo like nothing else.

There is probably more, but this game has consumed me all week and I am tired (also, behind on work). Will have to give some coop action a go if anyone is game (after I get caught up on work).

steam_sig.png

ElvenshaeCommander Zoom
    edited February 2013
    Kias wrote: »
    This game has coop?

Really?

So, I just now read through some of the thread, and am seeing that Psi is not recommended for first play through. Is that because it makes the game harder or easier?

Will put some of my experience in spoiler below, but overall this game was most excellent and easily places in my all time favorites, right up there with Planescape: Torment. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!
    The audio was just excellent. I said that already I think, but it really made the atmosphere shine. Xerxes' droid poetry announcements, Shodan congratulating me by calling me an insect or a "shining example of a pitiful race," and the various logs left by the crew all came together and really pulled off something special here.

I also enjoyed that the game was strong in its survival elements and shifted away from the need to kill everything. Something clicked down in engineering when I saw a hybrid stalking around above me. I almost started shooting, and then thought, "wait, why take that shot?" I let him wander by and snuck away. Enemies became obstacles to be avoided/dealt with as oppose to a means to wealth and power like they are in so many other games that call themselves an RPG.

Even with that initial click though, some part of my brain short circuited and I didn't see the value in invisibility until that final tunnel inside The Many where all those big guys come pouring out. Five times trying to fight my way through and repeatedly dying finally triggered the repressed part of my brain that said, "Hey, insect. You can turn Invisible. WTF are you doing? " I then casually strolled past dozens of The Many's baddest asses and unceremoniously slaughtered their hive mind.

Back near the start, I almost restarted, because experiences with other leveling systems in older RPGs taught me that I could build myself in to a wall. I stuck with it though, and it became apparent that you really get more than enough cyber modules to rally any build once you get the feel for how gameplay works. You don't, however, get near enough to do everything, which I was quite happy with.

Research, as a thing in the game, just made me so happy. Maybe I am just odd, but finding something to research, then back tracking to a chemical closet and waiting for the results was just such an enjoyable thing to do. I backtracked through all of the stupid Rickenbacker just so I could douse a shirt made of worms in chemicals. I didn't even really need the bonuses it offered at that point, by I wore the thing anyway because who am I to second guess SCIENCE! Only things I didn't research were the level 6 weapon and enhancement right near the end, did I miss out on anything awesome there?

Oh, and I loved me some annelid thorn action, which I found, contrary to intuition, was the best method of dealing with pesky cyborg assassins (that took me awhile, because the idea of closing in on a cyborg assassin just seemed bad). Being Psi dependant, all those cybernetic types, which there was a whole lot of, really gave me a hard time. Sure, I could shut down the big guys and run past them eventually, but several times they are in the way and need to die. And turrets, ugh, those things tore me to pieces. I burned through AP ammo like nothing else.

There is probably more, but this game has consumed me all week and I am tired (also, behind on work). Will have to give some coop action a go if anyone is game (after I get caught up on work).

Relying solely on PSI can make the game much harder early on, and there are a lot of mostly-useless abilities. PSI hypos aren't all that common, either. As stated, though, it's perfectly doable.

You're welcome!

Some stats I'm curious about:
    *) Which difficulty did you play on?
    *) What was your final time? I think the game's default save will include this value.

On a scale of 1-10, how badly did you shit your pants when the walls fell away and SHODAN announced herself?

Yeah, it's really hard to make a "I've screwed myself" build in my experience. It'll be harder than a "smart" build, but even a little bit of thought will give you something survivable.

SCIENCE is, indeed, amazing. I don't know what you're referring to, with "level 6 weapon and enhancement", though.

Doesn't sound like you did much hacking (or maybe you didn't realize), but shutting down the security system means turrets won't attack you. Makes it really easy to whack them a few times, then finish them off with a cryokinesis blast. Laser turrets are, unintuitively, the easiest to avoid. They'll shoot thrice, then recharge for a second or two.

"Annelid Thorn" took me a minute - you mean the crystal shard. Reasonable way to describe it, though.

Tamin on
    MattitudeElvenshae
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Does the NewDark version of the game (which I presume is functionally equivalent to the GOG version) have the same difficulties with Co-op that the game classically had?

I've never played this game in Co-op without my partner getting a bad case of box-itis. Which is to say, they always turned into a box. A box, damn you! A booooooox!

VuIBhrs.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The awesome thing about the "thorn" thing...
    That's exactly what SHODAN calls it. Which means Kias internalized the setting's presentation of it over the game's title for it. So awesome.

jdarksun on
    KiasTaminElvenshae
    Tamin wrote: »
    This game has coop?

Really?

Relying solely on PSI can make the game much harder early on, and there are a lot of mostly-useless abilities. PSI hypos aren't all that common, either. As stated, though, it's perfectly doable.

You're welcome!

Some stats I'm curious about:
    *) What difficulty were you on?
    *) What was your final time? I think the game's default save will include this value.

On a scale of 1-10, how badly did you shit your pants when the walls fell away and SHODAN announced herself?

Yeah, it's really hard to make a "I've screwed myself" build in my experience. It'll be harder than a "smart" build, but even a little bit of thought will give you something survivable.

SCIENCE is, indeed, amazing. I don't want you're referring to exactly, with "level 6 weapon and enhancement", though.

Doesn't sound like you did much hacking (or maybe you didn't realize), but shutting down the security system means turrets won't attack you. Makes it really easy to whack them a few times, then finish them off with a cryokinesis blast. Laser turrets are, unintuitively, the easiest to avoid. They'll shoot thrice, then recharge for a second or two.

"Annelid Thorn" took me a minute - you mean the crystal shard. Reasonable way to describe it, though.

Hahah, yeah, I was tired when I posted and didn't feel like looking up actual names :P I was playing on normal and will look up the final playtime (think it was 12-16 hours, something like that) when I get home. Should probably tack on an extra hour or two for forgetting the first rule of playing older games: save constantly. Died a couple times before finding the respawn station, leading me to stare at the menu screen in silent rage at the time I had just lost (to be fair, I accidentally loaded the wrong game after that and lost my quick save that I didn't realize was at the bottom of the save list).
    I did a lot of hacking actually, was lvl 4 in hacking by the end, mainly to hack the replicators and get cheaper psi hypos. I also immediately went for the psi abilities that let me "sell" ammo types I didn't use, got the % discount perk, and picked up a recycler as soon as it was available (took that while to pay for itself, so not really the best investment). I was always solid in the psi points department due to being a penny pincher and dabbling in standard weapons (used pistol and shotgun) to give me a few other pain producing options. Also, anti-entropy shielding is tits.

I did not, however, realize that hacking security systems disabled turrets. It never even occurred to me! I was wondering why I would ever bother hacking them once I managed to destroy the cameras!

And for those lvl 6 items, there is that weapon you pull out of, I think his name is Diego, that soldiers room right at the end that requires lvl 6 research to use. I also found an annelid tech mod in that irradiated water inside The Many that required lvl 6 research to use.

The big problem with being so psi dependent was the inability to hotkey psi abiltiies like I could my weapons. Pyro-kinesis was great against fleshy types, but doing no damage to robotic sorts and not being ably to quickly change meant I almost exclusively used cryo-kinesis until the very end. Those final couple damaging abilities all the way at level 5 just didn't seem that great for the cost when the biggest damage sponges could be pyroed down in a couple quick shots. Once I got high enough psi score, the buffs were actually quite nice, especially the speed boost from agility, but it was just really hard to switch to the more situational powers when I needed them.

That said, invisibility pretty much broke the final encounter with the Many, and my pack rat tendencies left me with plenty of auto hack items for poor Shodan, so dropping her shields was super easy in that last encounter. This actually left me quite satisfied, as planning and working hard early on paid off in dividends when it counted the most instead of the encounters being arbitrarily inflated in a way where the players actions up to then wouldn't really help much.

And yes, when the walls fell away when going in to meet the "doctor" I was quite taken aback. I was a bit groggy and looking to wrap up for the night by touching base on that first part of the new floor, and all of a sudden I couldn't move out of that middle part of the room. I though it was glitching at first and started trying to get back out. This didn't work either, and all of a sudden, bam, crazy Shodan is all around me and I went from sleepily playing to "wide the fuck awake."

I did not sleep well that night.

steam_sig.png

jdarksun wrote: »
    The awesome thing about the "thorn" thing...
    That's exactly what SHODAN calls it. Which means Kias internalized the setting's presentation of it over the game's title for it. So awesome.
    Thanks for pointing this out! I knew I was getting thorn from somewhere.

I feel slightly less crazy, despite still hearing SHODAN's voice in my sleep.

Not crazy.

steam_sig.png

edited February 2013

Hahah, yeah, I was tired when I posted and didn't feel like looking up actual names :P I was playing on normal and will look up the final playtime (think it was 12-16 hours, something like that) when I get home. Should probably tack on an extra hour or two for forgetting the first rule of playing older games: save constantly. Died a couple times before finding the respawn station, leading me to stare at the menu screen in silent rage at the time I had just lost (to be fair, I accidentally loaded the wrong game after that and lost my quick save that I didn't realize was at the bottom of the save list).
    I did a lot of hacking actually, was lvl 4 in hacking by the end, mainly to hack the replicators and get cheaper psi hypos. I also immediately went for the psi abilities that let me "sell" ammo types I didn't use, got the % discount perk, and picked up a recycler as soon as it was available (took that while to pay for itself, so not really the best investment). I was always solid in the psi points department due to being a penny pincher and dabbling in standard weapons (used pistol and shotgun) to give me a few other pain producing options. Also, anti-entropy shielding is tits.

I did not, however, realize that hacking security systems disabled turrets. It never even occurred to me! I was wondering why I would ever bother hacking them once I managed to destroy the cameras!

And for those lvl 6 items, there is that weapon you pull out of, I think his name is Diego, that soldiers room right at the end that requires lvl 6 research to use. I also found an annelid tech mod in that irradiated water inside The Many that required lvl 6 research to use.

The big problem with being so psi dependent was the inability to hotkey psi abiltiies like I could my weapons. Pyro-kinesis was great against fleshy types, but doing no damage to robotic sorts and not being ably to quickly change meant I almost exclusively used cryo-kinesis until the very end. Those final couple damaging abilities all the way at level 5 just didn't seem that great for the cost when the biggest damage sponges could be pyroed down in a couple quick shots. Once I got high enough psi score, the buffs were actually quite nice, especially the speed boost from agility, but it was just really hard to switch to the more situational powers when I needed them.

That said, invisibility pretty much broke the final encounter with the Many, and my pack rat tendencies left me with plenty of auto hack items for poor Shodan, so dropping her shields was super easy in that last encounter. This actually left me quite satisfied, as planning and working hard early on paid off in dividends when it counted the most instead of the encounters being arbitrarily inflated in a way where the players actions up to then wouldn't really help much.

And yes, when the walls fell away when going in to meet the "doctor" I was quite taken aback. I was a bit groggy and looking to wrap up for the night by touching base on that first part of the new floor, and all of a sudden I couldn't move out of that middle part of the room. I though it was glitching at first and started trying to get back out. This didn't work either, and all of a sudden, bam, crazy Shodan is all around me and I went from sleepily playing to "wide the fuck awake."

For most of this: interesting. Good to hear your thoughts on the game.

For the last paragraph: awesome! Best frame of mind.

It's been a long time (as I keep saying), but I believe the function keys (F1, F2) cycle the psi powers. That is, tapping F1 should cycle through all the level one powers you've purchased; F2 should do the same for level 2, and so on. There's certainly some way to accomplish it, and I don't think the keybinding screen mentions it.

Tamin on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The best part of multiplayer:
    Cramming all your shit into the elevator when going between ship decks!

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Kias wrote:

Oh man! I did the EXACT same thing way back in 1999 when I first played the game. I didn't sleep well either, though mostly because it was already 5 AM when I reached that part.

Sorce
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    For people who have reached That Part:

TaminElvenshaeSorceCommander Zoom
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to my tax return, I managed to pick this up again and get TNC's mods. Which I find humorous since the zip is larger then the GoG download for the base game.

newSig.jpg
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Something that gives me the giggles...
    Maybe this means we will finally get an 'official' shodan speech to voice translator from the company that owns the rites. I know some people have tried to duplicate it but they just dont quite capture it like the original game did.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Echo wrote: »
    For people who have reached That Part:
    http://www.youtube.com/wa tch?v=Ij1VAiDE3TI

deliciously creepy.

Elvenshae
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Something that gives me the giggles...
    Maybe this means we will finally get an 'official' shodan speech to voice translator from the company that owns the rites. I know some people have tried to duplicate it but they just dont quite capture it like the original game did.

Eric Brosius is a black magic wizard, that's why. And then you tangle him up with Terri Brosius and you madness.

Now that I've been able to play for a while, I'm noticing an odd issue. The game will minimize back to desktop. Doesn't crash; I just need to alt-tab back in and it picks up smoothly.

I suspect it's a local issue, but I wanted to ask: has this been happening to anyone else?

Neg. Using the disc version patched up with SS2Tool 5.0 and a boatload of mods. Runs flawless on my end.

Doesn't happen for me - sounds like a virus scanner or other automated program is asking for your attention. GoG version with the texture/enhancement suite.

edited February 2013
    Yeah, I figured it was local (having had other games do a similar thing), but good to get confirmation.

edit: I finally got around to double-checking. The F[1-5] keys do cycle psi powers, and it isn't mentioned on the keybinding screen anywhere. The game does put the relevant key in the upper-left of the psi menu, but that's easy to miss.

Tamin on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I remember when I played coop with my brother he kept shooting me with grenades after I cast all my buffs to deal ludicrous damage in melee. His reaction times were just a little too good. Turns out Psi/melee is not so great when your buddy is Normal/Heavy/hacking.

I made up for it later in
    The Many bossfight when I did it totally solo because he couldn't manage to make the jumps on the teeth. Invisibility and the Annelid Launcher takes care of it right quick.

And then later he showed me up in
    the final bossfight, I had saved 3 ICE picks to crack the shielding, and because of the darkness of the room, I literally missed the panel when dragging from my inventory and dropped the stack on the floor. I generally ran around like a chicken with my head cut off on the electrified floors while he expended every EMP grenade he had while hacking every panel manually.

Kias
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I've got to say, the appearance of robots has really harshed my buzz on this game. Also the wonky way resurrection works makes me frown.

That said, I've found much enjoyment from making sure to eat a bag of chips every time someone tries to talk to me.

McHoger wrote: »
    I've got to say, the appearance of robots has really harshed my buzz on this game. Also the wonky way resurrection works makes me frown.

That said, I've found much enjoyment from making sure to eat a bag of chips every time someone tries to talk to me.

"wonky way"? It's pretty straightforward to me. Care to expand?

They make me want to save less. Which is a problem when I die in a new area and lose 30 minutes of progress. I realize it's on me to some extent, but it does suck the momentum out of playing.

They make me want to save less. Which is a problem when I die in a new area and lose 30 minutes of progress. I realize it's on me to some extent, but it does suck the momentum out of playing.

oh, I see. Thought you meant it differently. Yeah, it wouldn't have killed them (though, probably impossible) to spawn you at the nearest QBRM, even if it's in another section.

I've got to say, the appearance of robots has really harshed my buzz on this game.
    In what way? I love the escalation they provide.

edited February 2013
    oh man

Hoger, don't think we're jumping on you. It's just been so long since SS2 fans have had fresh blood to discuss the game with. We want all the details.

Tamin on
    I've got to say, the appearance of robots has really harshed my buzz on this game.

I may just be disappointed that these are the first enemies in the game I haven't been able to deal with using the wrench. Also, they seem a bit dull after dealing with the horrifically mutated crewmen.

I may just be disappointed that these are the first enemies in the game I haven't been able to deal with using the wrench. Also, they seem a bit dull after dealing with the horrifically mutated crewmen.
    Ah, that's part of why I love them. Having to switch up strategy a bit is a good thing. :)

The theme of "perversion of purpose" continues, at least with the protocol droid, but I agree that it's not as emotionally impacting.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The protocol droids are some of my most hated enemies. The open-close-open-close sounds of big bulkhead doors at the cargo bay, plus their eerie chattering frayed on my nerves like nothing else. I'm perpetually paranoid at that damned place.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    ElvenshaeZxerolDrake
    They're a serious threat when you first encounter them. It can use up a lot precious resources unless you've invested in Repair and don't mind burning Nanites on disposable shotguns.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    On protocol droids:
    If you have the flame aura psi (which costs minimal cyber modules and almost nothing to cast) you are immune to their explosions.

The protocol droids are some of my most hated enemies. The open-close-open-close sounds of big bulkhead doors at the cargo bay, plus their eerie chattering frayed on my nerves like nothing else. I'm perpetually paranoid at that damned place.

Cargo bays is usually the point in the game where I quit the game for a few hours until I drum up enough nerves to finish it.

Drake
    edited February 2013
    First (of Many) runs completed. Well, since purchasing it on GOG. Obviously I've gone through the game a dozen times in the past.

8h 14m, impossible. Seems a bit shorter than I remember, but then... I know where to go.
    I feel sure I just missed it, but I didn't see a single recharge station on the Rickenbacker.

Went heavy into energy this time. Used the laser rapier a bit, and even tried the EMP rifle. Which seems utterly useless for needing 6 energy and requiring a modify of 5 for the first upgrade.

I really should consider spending all my points in energy and modify so I can play with it before the Body.

Tamin on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Encountered ranged enemies. Hit them in the face. Got some body armor. Doesnt help much.

Got the maintenance code. Saw a robot figure out how to use an elevator.

Now I'm wondering how anti rad hypos work

edited February 2013
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Encountered ranged enemies. Hit them in the face. Got some body armor. Doesnt help much.

Got the maintenance code. Saw a robot figure out how to use an elevator.

Now I'm wondering how anti rad hypos work

If you're exposed to radiation, a bar will start to fill up, and a timer will start. Every few seconds, you take some damage and some radiation drains away. But if you're still exposed, the bar tends to fill faster than it drains, so you must keep injecting rad hypos.

It's a weird system.

Tamin on