As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock & 2] - SHODAN's Liberation Is At Hand

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Confrontation is from fanart, iirc.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Confrontation is from fanart, iirc.

Cool, thanks.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Tamin wrote: »
    p3ah5um.jpg

Midwife looks kinda dumb from the corner you can see, at least imho.

I think she looks just about... "right" from what you will see.
    tumblr_mj5ty8MvXv1rer3hlo1_500.jpg

Mr.Sunshine on
    Looking at the in-game model more closely, you are correct.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mmkay. Do I need to do any port forwarding to host an online game? Which ports?

edited July 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Mmkay. Do I need to do any port forwarding to host an online game? Which ports?

I don't recall having to open anything, on the rare occasions I try to make multiplayer work, but I did find these:
    It uses the standard MSN Gaming Zone:
    2300-2400 UDP & TCP
    47624 (Trigger Port) UDP & TCP
    28800-28900 UDP & TCP

edit: Also if you were planning on running mods, be aware that the multiplayer has always been quirky, at best. Adding mods (even graphical ones, apparently) to the mix makes it even less stable.

Tamin on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Look at you, Googler. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you rely on antiquated DNS servers. How can you challenge a perfect immortal graph algorithm?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I could use some advice on what to do for a build for a first time through. The choices are a bit daunting, and I've heard that making bad choices early is unwise. I just want something that will let me get through the game on normal and enjoy the story and not cause me to convulse in fits of rage. Not looking for any super-specific specialized builds or anything, just some general advice on what tubes to run down. Pretty sure I'll be able to figure things out on my own with some stable footing.

steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Picking Navy is always a safe bet for a first timer. Other than that, pick assignments that will give you boosts to repairing or maintaining, as well as stamina. By the time you come out of everything, you should have a decent basis for Hacking with some Melee on the side. Though you will probably "switch" to guns at some point, being able to swing a wrench hard is a good skill to have.

sig.gif
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    IIRC, putting lots of points into PSI powers and exotic weapons can get you in trouble if you're not careful.

edited August 2013
    Bullio wrote: »
    I could use some advice on what to do for a build for a first time through. The choices are a bit daunting, and I've heard that making bad choices early is unwise. I just want something that will let me get through the game on normal and enjoy the story and not cause me to convulse in fits of rage. Not looking for any super-specific specialized builds or anything, just some general advice on what tubes to run down. Pretty sure I'll be able to figure things out on my own with some stable footing.

Sorce has the right idea; going Navy will provide a nice foundation. You'll also start with enough standard weapons to use pistols, which helps.

A quick rundown on the skill choices in the Navy branch:
    first set of postings:

modify: major skill, used to upgrade weapons - larger clip and the like.
    repair: used to fix broken things
    hacking: major skill, needed to break into crates, disable security, and similar.

(all of these also give +1 strength - unlocks one column in the inventory, some armor has a strength requirement, and you do more melee damage)

second set:
    cyb. affinity: minor skill, makes hacking easier
    maintenance: upgrades the battery size of implants and laser weapons; gives a bonus to the use of the repair tool
    standard weapons - gives you access to bigger weapons

third set:
    research: major skill, mostly used to make your life a little easier by... well, researching body parts to do more damage.
    endurance: hitpoints
    agility: movement speed

my recommendations are bolded.

Tamin on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Having bought this from the Summer Sale, I decided to start playing this for advanced Halloween scares. But before I saw this thread I tried doing the install-the-updated-graphics-mod thing by myself and the SS2Tool I got somehow wiped my SS2 game installation folder. Now I'll just follow the first post. I feel somewhat silly.

Any tips for a new player, besides picking Navy? It's been a while since I've played a first person shooter.

Having bought this from the Summer Sale, I decided to start playing this for advanced Halloween scares. But before I saw this thread I tried doing the install-the-updated-graphics-mod thing by myself and the SS2Tool I got somehow wiped my SS2 game installation folder. Now I'll just follow the first post. I feel somewhat silly.

Any tips for a new player, besides picking Navy? It's been a while since I've played a first person shooter.

ew, not sure how the ss2tool broke things. Sorry to hear that.

In general:
    Try to conserve ammunition. It's very much survival horror early on.
    Don't approach it like a full fledged fps. Shooting something might be a silly idea if you can disable or avoid it.
    The upgrade system can be a bit tricky. Spend a little bit of time going through the various skills and figuring out what sounds helpful for you.
    Your inventory screen includes a '?' button in the lower left. Click this, and then click items and buttons in the inventory - you'll get some helpful information and some flavor text.
    You have access to a minimap - hit [tab], then [map], then check the box.
    You can hit 'n' to drop a navigation node, and give them a description using the map. Helpful, maybe.
    Mainly spend modules on immediate goals and don't be afraid to save them up if there's nothing pressing.
    Don't get discouraged during the cargo bays. They're a pretty big stumbling block for a lot of people.
    I'd avoid putting any points into psi. It can pretty easily mess you up until you have a feel for things.

as a warning of sorts - keep an eye on the number of items you have. A friend was playing the steam version and started losing things during level transitions. This hasn't happened to me, on either steam or gog.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips!

With the zip file on the OP, I don't need ss2tool anymore, right?

edited September 2013
    Thanks for the tips!

With the zip file on the OP, I don't need ss2tool anymore, right?

I believe that's correct. It's actually a bit of a mess, because there are a dozen variants floating around - gog changed their installer between Feb and June (or so)

the important thing to look for is a folder in the ss2 directory called datapermmods. If that exists, you don't need to do anything else to make the game mod-ready. Once you've unzipped the folder from the OP, that directory should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/s4ZN7WM.png

if the directory doesn't exist, let us know.

Tamin on
    Also, don't install SS2 into your Program Files folder. It doesn't like what you have to do to get mods working.

sig.gif
    Great success! Looks like it's working now, Steam was kind enough to download SS2 again while I was browsing the tubes. And the zip files have been unloaded, and I'm pretty sure they're working as intended. Thanks guys, time to scare myself shitless now.

Great success! Looks like it's working now, Steam was kind enough to download SS2 again while I was browsing the tubes. And the zip files have been unloaded, and I'm pretty sure they're working as intended. Thanks guys, time to scare myself shitless now.

awesome!

edited September 2013
    Okay, so on Normal difficulty, and I'm currently in the Hydrophonics floor, the one where
    You can't get to Deck four 'coz of all this biomass stuff mucking the elevator shaft. So I got to do some pest control.

I'm liking it so far. Thoughts on plot:
    It's not longer Polito, ain't she? Got that vibe the moment I get an old log of hers back in Med, where she sounded waaaaay more human/normal/warm.

Thoughts / Questions on game:

- my inventory was full, so I threw away my Psi-ball thing, since I wasn't using it at the time. Can I safely ignore my Psi stats up to the end, or are there some low-level stuff I should be getting? And if so, are there Psi-ball things lying around in the future? Because I could not remember where I dropped the thing.
    - Is it worth it to pump my Strength to max out my inventory? Will cybermodules be scarce in Normal difficulty?
    - Should I limit myself to a few Weapon specialties? I keep forgetting I have a Laser Pistol stashed.
    - I hate suicide droids.
    - Fuck cameras. I'm finding myself mentally aiming at real-life security cams now.
    - Midwives are frigging creepy.

Wearingglasses on
    Okay, so on Normal difficulty, and I'm currently in the Hydrophonics floor, the one where
    You can't get to Deck four 'coz of all this biomass stuff mucking the elevator shaft. So I got to do some pest control.

It's not longer Polito, ain't she? Got that vibe the moment I get an old log of hers back in Med, where she sounded waaaaay more human/normal/warm.

8->

- my inventory was full, so I threw away my Psi-ball thing, since I wasn't using it at the time. Can I safely ignore my Psi stats up to the end, or are there some low-level stuff I should be getting? And if so, are there Psi-ball things lying around in the future? Because I could not remember where I dropped the thing.
    - Is it worth it to pump my Strength to max out my inventory? Will cybermodules be scarce in Normal difficulty?
    - Should I limit myself to a few Weapon specialties? I keep forgetting I have a Laser Pistol stashed.
    - I hate suicide droids.
    - Fuck cameras. I'm finding myself mentally aiming at real-life security cams now.

There should be several Psi-Amps lying around. Hard to say exactly where they are. I'd say you can safely ignore the psi branch entirely; it costs a bunch to get anything and that makes it hard to mix and match. On the flip side, some light stuff like cryokinesis might give you a needed boost if you're low on ammo / weapon is degraded.

That depends entirely on you. More inventory space is nice, especially if you're a hoarder like me. It does modify melee weapon damage as a side-effect. Re: cybermodules: you don't have an infinite supply, but you should have plenty to max out a couple of skills.

Yes. Mostly for the sake of your inventory space; if you have to carry several weapons around, you won't have space for much else. My usual run involves laser pistols.

Yes.

Yes.

I'll tear out your spine.

In general, use the elevator as your bank. Some people use that first room on Hydroponics - it's nice and big.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

- I hate suicide droids.

Psi can be ignored, but since you've got psi points anyway, it can be worth getting something. Telekinesis and Healing can be handy, but hardly essential.
    Weapon specialities are more up to you, but I'd say to keep a melee weapon handy, even if you feel like you have plenty of ammo. (speaking of which, you may want to save your anti-personnel bullets. You'll know when to use them)

PS. Midwives don't stop being creepy, but they're a lot less dangerous if you get in close. At range, their lasers hurt, whereas their melee attack is (I think) weaker, easier to dodge, and able to be stunlocked by repeated strikes.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Good advice already given. You can ignore your Psi stats if you want. If you've got extra nanites, it can be worth it to grab like healing or whatever. Not worth maxing STR unless you're melee focused, you need fewer things than you think (especially if you're storing stuff in the elevator). For your first time through, I'd suggest picking a common weapon category and mostly sticking with it. It can be easy to lose yourself in an exotic category and branch out too far, though you can beat the game with almost any build.

Where did you go? Are you there?

edited September 2013
    Thanks for the tips. The elevator as a dorm room has not occured to me, ingenious.

Tamin wrote: »

8->

That is not reassuring.

Polito is on my case re: my dawdling. Lady, you sure can be a dick, when I'm the one getting all the dying done. I managed to run around the entire floor before getting to the area that actually triggers the Toxin A objectives.

I've also developed a compulsion to hack Security every time I passed a Sec console. Paranoia!

The game's logs give me more dread than the scares in combat. Evil Michael Chiklis and Russian McMustache are unsettling during their mid-transformation logs.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I just lost ammunition on a save game load. The hell?

Wearingglasses on
    Polito is on my case re: my dawdling. Lady, you sure can be a dick, when I'm the one getting all the dying done. I managed to run around the entire floor before getting to the area that actually triggers the Toxin A objectives.

I've also developed a compulsion to hack Security every time I passed a Sec console. Paranoia!

The game's logs give me more dread than the scares in combat. Evil Michael Chiklis and Russian McMustache are unsettling during their mid-transformation logs.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I just lost ammunition on a save game load. The hell?

paranoia is a helpful thing to have!

By "evil michael chiklis" you mean Captain Diego, right? That's Stephen Russell, who also voices Garrett in the Thief series.

re: your edit - As I mentioned, a friend had the same bug occur to his repair tools and medkits. Only it happened during level transitions specifically.

I'm really not sure what to say: it hasn't happened to me; pcgamingwiki doesn't mention it; and a quick search of ttlg doesn't return anything.

Depending on how you feel about such things, there is a console and a couple of codes to give you ammunition or whatnot.

the format is this
    - type a colon ( : ) to open the console
    - type summon_obj
    - type the object name (i.e., ap clip)
    - hit enter

so
    :
    summon_obj ap clip

should generate an anti-personnel (or maybe armor piercing) clip at your feet.

afaik, there's no penalty to using the codes, but (naturally) they can trivialize the game.

Yeah, Diego. The voice oscillating between monstrous and robotic was great. I mean in a scary way, not, y'know.

I actually can't remember if I really ran out, or if it was a bug. The last save before that was 30 minutes previous, and it had a clip of AP rounds, but then again memory is hazy as to whether I used them. I'll skip the cheats for now, especially as I'm just on Normal difficulty.

Also.
    SHODAN's entrance was a thing of beauty. The music-less hallway, the long walk towards a small featureless room with a corpse on a single chair in the middle of the room? It really raised my hackles, something is uuup. Then BAM!

I have to save that save point, it's pretty awesome.

and your reaction is precisely why I created this thread

and why I sell the game to anyone who'll listen.

... actually, I don't much care if they're listening or not

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    insects

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Was there an upside down room?
    Later on when you get to the Rickenbacker there's a deck that you can only access by inverting its gravity. So everything is upside down and everything's fallen to (and you're walking on) what used to be the ceiling

subedii on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    why do you listen to her?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I was playing this game while in Japan and there was a security camera on the pedestrian bridge that went to my school. The night after a VERY long session, I totally had a minor anxiety attack on that bridge while I tried to figure out how to shoot/avoid the damn thing before the logical part of my brain kicked in and was like, it's a game, dummy.

The Japanese students were very, very confused by this crazy white kid frozen like a deer in headlights at apparently nothing. I sometimes wonder who was watching that vid feed too, and whether I just cemented some guy's opinion that Americans are nuts.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    I hate to make this into a mini-"Wearingglasses Scares Himself Shitless With System Shock 2" chucklehour, but I have some more questions and comments.

- I made a branch save and spent some points into PSI, since I'm not feeling the Heavy weapons (But researched the Crystal Shard which looks boss). Do people really manage to use Psi-skills in realtime combat? This shit's hard. Right now I'm using Agility-boost and Heal Light Wounds. The Melee Amplification skill I couldn't really get the hang of, because that doesn't last long enough.
    - Hacking rocks (WOOOO). Love hacking turrets.
    - Fuck Spiders.
    - I dumped the Wrench for the said Crystal Shard. Do they have the same hitboxes? I oneshot hybrids but Spiders (fuck Spiders) and Cyborg Assassins kinda no-sell the shard.
    -Just finished the OPs floor (with the reprogramming task). I'm kinda starting to be concerned with running out of bullets. Do you guys spend your nanites on bullets, or do I reserve them for the serious shit? Haven't seen any reason to spend the anti-personnel except on Spiders. Which reminds me...
    - Fuck Spiders. Everytime I run across one I don't have any antidotes. And they soak up so much ammo they make life suck even though they're not the "ohshitohshit" scary monster type.
    - Man, Cyborg assassins kinda move like chumps. I mean their cyber ninja stars hurt like hell but they move like... ninja C3POs. It kinda undermines their menacing capabilities.
    - I got a lot of Cyber modules for upgrades, but I'm undecided on what to upgrade next - My Stats are alright, don't feel like my Tech skills needs a tune-up, the next Standard Weapons are a bit too pricey, the Shard's my only exotic, not feeling Heavy Weapons, the next PSI upgrade is also too pricey, Energy weapons look like a nice branch, but the EMP rifle has a too high requirement, and I'm afraid of running out of batteries in a firefight.
    - Is the French-Epstein Device automatic? I just dropped them on my Shotgun and Rifle, but nothing happened...?

My current killing algorithm:
    - Hybrids? Shank
    - Midwives? Shank
    - Spiders? SHOOT.
    - Cyborg assassins? Shoot, because Shard doesn't work(?)
    - Annelids? Er... shoot? Shard also kinda doesn't work. Kind of a waste of ammo tho.

Interesting thing that surprised me: I was chilling in the large room in OPs deck, the one where the elevator opens to, and as I was staring at the bulkhead door musing on the map, I suddenly heard the doorway to my left open, with the moans of a hybrid and the robotic drone of an Assassin. WTF! I thought this area was my Safe Place!

So: Lesson learned: Nowhere is safe. (Tell me the elevator is safe.)

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I hate to make this into a mini-"Wearingglasses Scares Himself Shitless With System Shock 2" chucklehour, but I have some more questions and comments.

- I made a branch save and spent some points into PSI, since I'm not feeling the Heavy weapons (But researched the Crystal Shard which looks boss). Do people really manage to use Psi-skills in realtime combat? This shit's hard. Right now I'm using Agility-boost and Heal Light Wounds. The Melee Amplification skill I couldn't really get the hang of, because that doesn't last long enough.
    - Hacking rocks (WOOOO). Love hacking turrets.
    - Fuck Spiders.
    - I dumped the Wrench for the said Crystal Shard. Do they have the same hitboxes? I oneshot hybrids but Spiders (fuck Spiders) and Cyborg Assassins kinda no-sell the shard.
    -Just finished the OPs floor (with the reprogramming task). I'm kinda starting to be concerned with running out of bullets. Do you guys spend your nanites on bullets, or do I reserve them for the serious shit? Haven't seen any reason to spend the anti-personnel except on Spiders. Which reminds me...
    - Fuck Spiders. Everytime I run across one I don't have any antidotes. And they soak up so much ammo they make life suck even though they're not the "ohshitohshit" scary monster type.
    - Man, Cyborg assassins kinda move like chumps. I mean their cyber ninja stars hurt like hell but they move like... ninja C3POs. It kinda undermines their menacing capabilities.
    - I got a lot of Cyber modules for upgrades, but I'm undecided on what to upgrade next - My Stats are alright, don't feel like my Tech skills needs a tune-up, the next Standard Weapons are a bit too pricey, the Shard's my only exotic, not feeling Heavy Weapons, the next PSI upgrade is also too pricey, Energy weapons look like a nice branch, but the EMP rifle has a too high requirement, and I'm afraid of running out of batteries in a firefight.
    - Is the French-Epstein Device automatic? I just dropped them on my Shotgun and Rifle, but nothing happened...?

My current killing algorithm:
    - Hybrids? Shank
    - Midwives? Shank
    - Spiders? SHOOT.
    - Cyborg assassins? Shoot, because Shard doesn't work(?)
    - Annelids? Er... shoot? Shard also kinda doesn't work. Kind of a waste of ammo tho.

Interesting thing that surprised me: I was chilling in the large room in OPs deck, the one where the elevator opens to, and as I was staring at the bulkhead door musing on the map, I suddenly heard the doorway to my left open, with the moans of a hybrid and the robotic drone of an Assassin. WTF! I thought this area was my Safe Place!

So: Lesson learned: Nowhere is safe. (Tell me the elevator is safe.)
    The elevator is... safe.

so I had a post ready to go and then stuff happened and I lost it. a couple of things, though:

yes, the elevator should be safe. That room is terribly designed; if you die there, you'll be spawn-camped until you run out of nanites.

I do want to say that I don't think you've seen just how bad spiders can get.

Yeah, you're going to want to keep a certain amount of Anti-Toxin hypos in your inventory at all times. What that amount is, is up to you.

As far as upgrading stuff, I'd say go for the techie skills like hacking, modify, and repair. This way you can make any machine do your bidding, and if/when your guns break, then that won't be a problem. As far as weapons, I usually kept certain ammo types with certain guns, to kind of make it easier. Pistol was Anti-Personnel, Shotgun was "normal", and the assault rifle was Armor Penetrating. The Grenade Launcher was kind of a jack of all trades, but that was more of an exclamation point than a weapon that saw normal use.

Swapping from the wrench to the crystal was a good call too.

sig.gif
    edited October 2013
    If you like the Standard weapons, or they're you're fallback, it doesn't hurt to crank Standard. Every point makes the Standard weapons do more damage (iirc) and recoil less.

Same goes for Strength; you hit harder, which is good if you melee a lot.

I've purchased ammo. It can be worth it.

jdarksun on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I hate to make this into a mini-"Wearingglasses Scares Himself Shitless With System Shock 2" chucklehour,

You dont seem to understand. This is exactly the reason we are watching this thread. We want this.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum