As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earth Defense Force 2017: Happy Birthday Thread, 1 Year

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    My friend and I played pretty far into 2017 a couple years back, and then he got Insect Armageddon on the day I was moving back home from college, so we played it for 3 or 4 hours before I drove back.

I love this series. When I heard Insect Armageddon was coming to steam, I flipped. I've been refreshing the steam store daily waiting for it. Bought it today. So psyched.

Download faster!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I decided to take the plunge sans reviews, I mean come on it's more EDF ON STEAM!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Yes.

We need more EDF on steam.

And Robot Alchemic Drive, as well. Viscious Cycle can make that one as well, if they want. Whatever.

I just need more RAD!

• Options
    Just tried the first mission.

So, so good.

Also, I forgot how crazy the weapons selection and customization and class options are. I'm in heaven. I love this game.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Finally hit level 6 in Battle Armor and managed to finish off 3-5 on Hard:
    OH GOD, 3 Hector 2s one after another after another :DD:
    But can anyone who's finished 3-5 on Inferno tell me something?
    Please please please tell me the devs didn't cop out at the last minute and end the actual campaign right the fuck there. Giving us a big damn mothership that blows the fuck out of everything but not letting us blow it up ourselves is a crime against humanity.

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT

Sorenson on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yeah basically something was said about the possibility of DLC but that hasn't hit yet...
    Pretty shitty end to a decent game.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions on character classes? Also I started the first mission as the jetpack dude, and then it asked me to select a class for the second mission and wouldn't let me select him again. Am I missing something or is it just at certain times or for certain missions you can only use certain classes? I could have totally missed the announcer saying something to that effect because I was distracted at the time.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Any suggestions on character classes? Also I started the first mission as the jetpack dude, and then it asked me to select a class for the second mission and wouldn't let me select him again. Am I missing something or is it just at certain times or for certain missions you can only use certain classes? I could have totally missed the announcer saying something to that effect because I was distracted at the time.

That's just unlocking another class. You can use anyone on any mission once they're unlocked.

The battle armor is my favorite, I think. You're a walking tank.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:

That's just unlocking another class. You can use anyone on any mission once they're unlocked.

Little confused still.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Little confused still.

Alright.

For the first couple missions, you don't have access to every class. You unlock them after beating a mission. But you choose your unlock, so it doesn't really mean much.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Jet is the toughest armor to use especially at lower levels due to your energy usage constraints.
    -
    I still have the console version around here, but I gave up on the last few trophies of 8mils + credits needed to buy everything. (missions cap at around 65 thousand or so and failing makes you lose it all.. and on inferno its not that hard to get killed)

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Insect Armageddon started out alright but then got lame. It is not on the level of 2017. I hope Sandlot makes another EDF.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Battle Armour for life!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    It'd be nice if tactical had more energy as it leveled up. Having only one turret out at a time is lame.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I at least credit this game to getting me to DL the xboxlive store 2017, its the only thing on my piddly 360 model that I refuse to delete.
    and the harder modes are murder solo I think I'm stuck in Hardest...

And the pesticide guns are hilarious.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Little confused still.

You unlock the first armor when you start the campaign and unlock another armor after your first 3 missions. You don't have to use the armors as you unlock them though. On the screen where you pick your weapons you can click your armor's name and switch to any of the others you have unlocked.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I'm not getting the love for this game. What's up with the huge reload times on all the guns? And your teammates knocking you over with explosives all the time? Why is the jetpack dude so incredibly, painfully slow while using his jetpack? Why can the engineer guy only drop one turret but equip multiples? I just want to shoot some giant insects and the game is taking itself way too seriously to let me have fun with it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    I'm not getting the love for this game. What's up with the huge reload times on all the guns? And your teammates knocking you over with explosives all the time? Why is the jetpack dude so incredibly, painfully slow while using his jetpack? Why can the engineer guy only drop one turret but equip multiples? I just want to shoot some giant insects and the game is taking itself way too seriously to let me have fun with it.

Let the modding begin!

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote:

Can't answer the second and third ones, but the first is simple. Game has an active reload system.

Hit the button at the right time, you reload fast. Don't, it's slow. Simple.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:

Can't answer the second and third ones, but the first is simple. Game has an active reload system.

I know, it's still bloody painful when it's a .5s window to hit in a 5s+ reload window for gun that empties it's clip so damn fast. Meh, don't think this game is for me.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:

I know, it's still bloody painful when it's a .5s window to hit in a 5s+ reload window for gun that empties it's clip so damn fast. Meh, don't think this game is for me.
    The ARS feels a little buggy too, I've only done one mission and one quick survival jaunt, but it feels like I've nailed it more often than not and it didn't count.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I've got this for 360 sitting there waiting for when I finally complete Dark Souls. I'm thinking either Jet or battle armor first...

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote:
    I've got this for 360 sitting there waiting for when I finally complete Dark Souls. I'm thinking either Jet or battle armor first...

I recommend battle.

Walking tank. If you run into cars, they explode. Trees shatter. Fences buckle. And you get really heavy weapons.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

I recommend battle.

Walking tank. If you run into cars, they explode. Trees shatter. Fences buckle. And you get really heavy weapons.

That Energy Shield/Tazer thing they do is pretty nifty too.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

I recommend battle.

That Energy Shield/Tazer thing they do is pretty nifty too.
    The shockwave (RMB+space) is also really, really useful for giving you a bit of breathing room when you're swamped, plus it's great for closing nests: zip in, shockwave, then plant the charges and run like fuck. Pretty damn brutal for friendly fire, though, it usually takes about 15-20% off the AI's health if they're nearby.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Wait, the Ai companions aren't pure cannon fodder ala 2017? That's kind of sad.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I pay zero attention to the AI Companions. They usually survive, but I'm also just playing on normal difficulty right now. Once I get leveled up with more unlocks and crank up the difficulty I won't be surprised if they don't last long.

Drake on
  • Options
    I got my heavy armor up to rank 4, rocking an explosive machine gun and upgraded heatseeking missiles. It's getting more fun now, but I'm chewing through missions on normal like it's going out of style. I hear there's like, 250ish weapons in the game?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    not sure if the the games are meant to be played solo

splitscreen is the way to go, imo

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The jet armor weapons are pretty weaksauce at first. I think I need more levels. Also those stupid plane things piss me off. Holy crap. I had a short range spread rifle and a grenade launcher and holy crap whole level dedicated to them. Bad combination. Had to lose and come back with actual reasonable weapons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Friend and I ran through this on normal.

Yeah, it does get more repetitive than 2017 very quickly due to the relative dearth of weapons, and it's also much shorter, but it is still hell of funs.

Except the last mission. That is just brutal.

It doesn't help that we kept running into a glitch where
    The first large HECTOR would somehow spawn under the map, where we couldn't hurt it, so we'd have to reload again and hope for the best

This is the first game where I would really consider buying weapons-only DLC. Any EDF game pretty much is the weapons within it, so I'd really love to get my hands on them.

A campaign expansion or a sequel would be bad ass as well.

Now I think we're planning on playing through normal remix, then hard and inferno. Woo!

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    This is the first game where I would really consider buying weapons-only DLC. Any EDF game pretty much is the weapons within it, so I'd really love to get my hands on them.

/me looks at the Steam New Releases.

Well... speak of the devil.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Friend and I ran through this on normal.

Yeah, it does get more repetitive than 2017 very quickly due to the relative dearth of weapons, and it's also much shorter, but it is still hell of funs.

Except the last mission. That is just brutal.

It doesn't help that we kept running into a glitch where
    The first large HECTOR would somehow spawn under the map, where we couldn't hurt it, so we'd have to reload again and hope for the best

A campaign expansion or a sequel would be bad ass as well.

Now I think we're planning on playing through normal remix, then hard and inferno. Woo!

I think you actually unlock more missions by playing through on higher difficulty.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Is that DLC new stuff or just unlocks for in game?

• Options
    I thought we were getting free DLC, I must be misremembering.

• Options
    New guns, supposedly. Regardless, I may buy em. Game is so good. 60fps fix is so good. Oh god, giant bugs explosions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuck the wasps. So much. They are stupid and make this game no fun on Inferno.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You will want to double check this, but I believe the weapon DLC's are all sub-level 8. Good for leveling up but once you hit max level they aren't worth using.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Fuck the wasps. So much. They are stupid and make this game no fun on Inferno.

Battle Armour is your friend for dealing with wasps.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    I'm lazy and use homing missiles, but I've been playing soley with jet. Because I'm dumb. Because it kind of sucks. Whatever though, JETPACK.

steam_sig.png