Options

Best obscure & ancient PC games?

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Beki wrote: »
    Exile series (Mac & Windows)
    These adventure games are the only thing my little brother and I ever had in common. The last one, Blades of Exile, also had some kind of user-created game thing where you could download other people's maps and quests. All of the games are very full of content. Link

In that same link, you can d/l demos of the Avernum series which, if I'm not mistaken, are updated versions of Exile anyway. Damn fine series, too.

Also: Theme Park (damn you, Sawyer for stealing the amusement park thunder!), Magic Carpet, Life & Death. Yes, I know, two Bullfrog games may not qualify as "obscure" but they might be by today's standards, and dammit they were great.

Oh, also: Toonstruck.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CapnARRR wrote: »
    some of my favorites:

Captain Comic
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/136

Captain Comic is an awesome game. I played it all the time growing up.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's an awesome post-apocalyptic RPG Origin made called Bad Blood. It's like a stepping stone between Wasteland and Fallout. It's a real "underdog" of a game but very good. Combat is silly and banal but everything else about it rocks. The intro will remind you of Fallout too as the leaders discuss the plight of their people and each one speaks up about the good qualities of each of the three characters you have to select from for you rquest. Interesting plot as it largely concerns a group of mutants that has become peaceful and their attempts to maintain stable conditions with nearby human settlements.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    Oh, also: Toonstruck.

YES.

I played the hell out of that. It's to date the only adventure game I ever completed. So awesome.

Suriko on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    0761503587.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The races and music is so awesome in this game. It's one of the only 4x games I can keep coming back to from time to time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I never really played it, but my brother had some game called Dark Sun which looked pretty good. I believe it was a turn-based RPG of some sort. You could create your own party and the graphics were nice for their time. I'm certain other people on here have played it before.

He got the sequel and it was buggy as hell. He even wrote them a letter about it and someone actually called him and asked questions about what exactly was wrong with the game. A week or two later they actually mailed him a couple of diskettes containing a patch that was supposed to fix the game. He didn't have any luck with it.

So yeah...the first Dark Sun game was good. The second one, not so much.

SteevL on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ZZT was quite awesome. It remains as one of the toughest adventure/puzzle games to me.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    FrCFrC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I lost about two years of my life to Darklands. I was like 11, it was the first real PC game that I played. It still has a small following, but it never really got famous. Also, it was open ended and didn't really have an ending, kind of a "Grand Theft Auto Medieval Germany" :)

FrC on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Star Wars Battlefront 1 was awesome and got really fun but Lucas arts did something very fucking stupid and instead of making the second one an expansion pack, they release the second game with only a small update to the actual engine itself. It was fun to play, but eh, fuck it since Lucas arts will never update it or anything.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NEVERHOOD!!!

Oh man contra, you earned a medal in my book. I need to search for my disc. I love that game so much.

Kami on
  • Options
    ZakalweZakalwe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, Ok, technically it was on the Acorn (hell, it was sort of a PC), but Mad Professor Mariarti brings back so many fond memories of school childminding. Every day after school we'd play this bad boy, killing aliens and robots with screwdrivers and all kinds of shit. It was something of a platformer with a few adventure elements thrown in, but the variety of weapons and the great music made it real fun.

madprof.png

Along with the great Manchester United in Europe, it was pretty much the highlight of junior school for me.

Zakalwe on
  • Options
    MomochiMomochi Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    hi there, long time lurker 1st time poster
    I just had to chime in with this one i played back in the day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator_%28DOS%29
    The_Terminator_%28DOS%29.png
    in 1990 this game modeled the city of LA in its entirety (can't remember how accurately but the landmass was huge). You played as either kyle reese or the terminator and had to find and protect or kill sarah connor respectively. It was totally open ended not forcing you to go anywhere in particular. You could break into and steal any car or truck, some with automatic, some with manual transmission. You could rob a sporting goods store, then use the money to buy guns at a gun store (or just... u kno.. rob the gun store). Twas so much fun raiding a military base then taking an m60 to the police as the terminator.

Momochi on
  • Options
    Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    kohan1.jpg

kohan2.jpg

Kohan Series

Fantastic RTS that focuses on controlling companies rather than individual units. You also had to keep a close eye on your units' morale: if it got too low, they'd crap their pants, flee the battle, and you'd have to wait until they regrouped before you could give them new orders.
    It also featured absolutely god-awful voice acting.

Mr. Gruntor on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Please tell me someone remembers Chip's Challenge. It was a fun little game that Microsoft put in their Windows 95 Entertainment packs. It also had some other great time wasters like JezzBall and Pipe Dream.

Chip's Challenge also had a C64 version but the graphics are vastly inferior.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    Please tell me someone remembers Chip's Challenge. It was a fun little game that Microsoft put in their Windows 95 Entertainment packs. It also had some other great time wasters like JezzBall and Pipe Dream.

I think there was an Atari Lynx version too.

I never played it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Beki wrote: »
    Commander Keen series (DOS)
    My husband and I have many fond memories of playing these games as kids. They're going to be the Pong that I lovingly pass down to my kids one day. Link

Ahh... Comander Keen. I have fond memories of playing the dreamland levels... Good times.

As for my opinion one of the best obscue & ancient PC game.

Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure

Foto+Relentless:+Twinsens+Adventure.jpg

relentless.jpg

As a child, I don't think I ever made it far into this game. In fact, I vaguely remember stoping at the point where I had to go into the protagonist's finance's house, hide from the guards, and obtain my first weapon (some strange bouncing ball).

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dune 2 did rule. And I still have trouble playing any games like it because I loved dune 2 so much. I'd just rather go back and play that one.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    <3 Sherlock.

The Exile series is indeed awesome. Spiderweb Software also released a series of remakes called Avernum and recently released a true sequel, Avernum 4. I'm holding out for Exile 4, though. :P
    BiggNife wrote: »

If you like Chip's Challange, you might also want to look at SubTerra. It does almost everything that Chip's Challenge does, almost everything that Boulder Dash does, and a whole bunch of extra stuff. It's completely free now, too.

jothki on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never played relentless, but I can vouch for the quality of its sequal, Twinsen's Oddessy. Much the same look and feel with some crazy hard jumping puzzles.

Of the older, more obscure variety, my favorite has always been a collection of puzzles called "The Fools Errand". The thing is truly fiendish in that not only are the base puzzles a real bear, but the meta puzzle is just plain mean. Word has it that theres a sequel in the works "A fool and his money" but I've not heard anything on that front in some time.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone remember Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

Raptor_1.jpg

That was my first SHMUP. I still like it better than most other SHMUPS (note I said most, not all: Ikaruga obviously is now closer to my heart). Awesome game, I loved the store system and stuff.

Also it proved to me and others that my 486 could push better graphics than my Super Nintendo.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FragtasticFragtastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    impergal.jpg

I think I'm the only person that ever played this game...ever. I remember when I got it a really long time ago, there were two copies at my local Software Etc. I bought one and the other sat on the PC games shelf for like five years until they switched over to Babbages. Man that game was so awesome, the story, cut-scenes and voice acting were so great for their time and by the time you got the end it felt absolutely epic. Still love this game and I wish I could get it to work on XP, but still no luck.

Fragtastic on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    [size=+3]M[/size][size=+2]EGARACE[/size]

Congratulations...
    lance_boyle.png
    YOU WON SEAT COVERS!

Awesome racing game. With guns. The car designs were cool, but not over the top. Unlike our host, Lance Boyle.

Up until the last few stages, when rubber-banding and other general ai bullshit starts running amock, this game was pretty fun. Lance made it all the more awesome.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    200px-Dark_Reign_Cover.jpg

Seriously, the AI in this thing is better than most games today. And I don't mean "yeah it's alright but you're exaggerating," I mean that the artificial intelligence is better than most games today. It's crazy. I never played Dark Reign 2 but I assume it doesn't even come close.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simon the Sorcerer. Just as funny as the LucasArts adventure games but with an English accent.

Also, Chex Quest.

http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    The Kyrandia series.

<3
    kyra1001em7.th.jpg
    Westwood made some really great adventure games. I miss them so much.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My childhood! All these games bring back so many memories! :D

And now for the video intros of these games!

MegaRace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBz9KjREdM

Commander Blood (the newer one)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDr75lE_nFs

Dune 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tppjzT-su0Q

Raptor: Call of the Shadows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19rc8YB3sY&mode=related&search=

Toonstruck (almost all the animations are on YouTube)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Dzh-MpIZQ

Blade Runner (game intro, fucking amazing btw) {I miss westwood sooooo much}
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov3CuU81LM

Neverhood (intro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x0GmdVJ_kU&mode=related&search=

Lands of Lore 2 (trailer0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bziwQU_CAOQ

Bad Mojo (trailer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlrpjA8Now

Dune 1 by CRYO (trailer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZXRcwC1UU

Day of the Tentacle (intro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HaYZsc66Bk&mode=related&search=

Sanitarium (intro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WUfz__07Q

I will get more if I can remeber more games...

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    The Kyrandia series.

<3
    kyra1001em7.th.jpg
    Westwood made some really great adventure games. I miss them so much.

You and me both, my friend.

You and me both.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    there was some kind of old mini golf game or golf game that was really highly animated or freaky that I played when I was a kid... I don't remeber the name of it though... I am pretty sure it played out like a point and click game...

I think it was horror themed or something...

Can anyone think of anything like that?

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    [size=+3]M[/size][size=+2]EGARACE[/size]

Congratulations...
    http://www.freewebs.com/raceprg/lance_boyle.png
    YOU WON SEAT COVERS!

Awesome racing game. With guns. The car designs were cool, but not over the top. Unlike our host, Lance Boyle.

Up until the last few stages, when rubber-banding and other general ai bullshit starts running amock, this game was pretty fun. Lance made it all the more awesome.
    I remember playing that at my cousin's. I seemed to always spontaneously die in the later races and said fuck it. I'd rather play F-Zero.

JJ on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anybody remember power pete?

Katholic on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pizza 2 Go for Apple ][

I cannot find this game. It was awesome back in the day. You use a series of simple machines to try to deliver pizza to aliens. Somehow, I doubt that it would be as fun now.

Also, Dr. Quandary and Dino Park Tycoon. Edutaining!

Skelly B on
  • Options
    Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    there was some kind of old mini golf game or golf game that was really highly animated or freaky that I played when I was a kid... I don't remeber the name of it though... I am pretty sure it played out like a point and click game...

Are you thinking of Caddy Hack: Haunted Miniature Golf?

Mr. Gruntor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Are you thinking of Caddy Hack: Haunted Miniature Golf?

Thank you!

That is the fucking game I have been looking for, for years!

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The original Lord of the Rings Vol. 1. It was utterly fantastic. Great graphics for the time, great sound, massive world, tons of sidequests, a moderately complex party management/skill toolset. It was GLORIOUS. And it fit on a single floppy.

Still the best lord of the rings game to date.

Edited out link.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The original Lord of the Rings Vol. 1. It was utterly fantastic. Great graphics for the time, great sound, massive world, tons of sidequests, a moderately complex party management/skill toolset. It was GLORIOUS. And it fit on a single floppy.

Still the best lord of the rings game to date.

mod edit: link snip

Ah yes, I remeber playing that game along side Star Trek back in the day.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Midnight Rescue
    Operation Neptune
    Treasure Mountain

Oh yes, Super Solvers kicked ass back in the day ;]

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Midnight Rescue
    Operation Neptune
    Treasure Mountain

Oh yes, Super Solvers kicked ass back in the day ;]

FUCK YES!

I sucked at the games when I was a kid but I loved them!

oooooo.....

Hugo's Adventures... Jill of the Jungle... Thor: God of Thunder... Halloween Harry... Decent... 3D Movie Maker (kinda was a game if you went around finding tickets...

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threat
    Overhead shooter (think smash TV or Crimsonland) with three player co-op (all on the same keyboard!) . So much fun. Plus it had deathmatch as well.

Skyroads
    Hard to describe. It was like a puzzle racing game. All you had to do was make it to the end of the course, which is a road in space. Levels had different gravity or your fuel or O2 would drain quicker and the road itself could have different properties like sections that just make you explode or speed up.

Solar Winds
    A space combat/rpg. It has quests and trading, much like a more linear story driven version of Escape Velocity really.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Skyroads
    Hard to describe. It was like a puzzle racing game. All you had to do was make it to the end of the course, which is a road in space. Levels had different gravity or your fuel or O2 would drain quicker and the road itself could have different properties like sections that just make you explode or speed up.

I remember that. It was pretty neat.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Skyroads

Skyroads was a very nice game, loved playing that one allot. I used to try and go as fast as I could and beat my prior record.

Vicious_GSR on