As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best obscure & ancient PC games?

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    daretodreamtitlescreenedf5.png

Dare to Dream.

TheSonicRetard on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dare to Dream.

Yes, yes, yes.

I'm amazed at how many of these games I'm recognizing.

jothki on
  • UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also:

Caratula+Goblins+3+Quest.jpg

carmen_title.jpg

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh fuck remember the old Hugo games?

Sort of like old point and click games where you had to type shit into a box to do stuff.

There was some hard parts where you had to type several action in a few seconds or you were dead which made it hard for me because I type dyslexic and only type while staring at the keyboard using only my index and middle fingers.

First one was a haunted house. The 2nd was also a house with mysterious shit that happened I didn't get very far I kept trying to have sex with the chick lying in the bed in the first screen. The 3rd one took place in the jungle and I that was harder still for me.

JJ on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elf, anyone? I remember playing it on an Amiga.

Also there was this "educational" game where you play as a fish, and you have to evolve while trying to survive in the ocean. It was for Mac, around 1992-93, and you could choose things like a guppy, barracuda, and other things.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love me some Covert Action. It's a Sid Meier game that doesn't get enough love.
    dosbox2007032202414360gk1.th.png

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone remember Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

Raptor_1.jpg

That was my first SHMUP. I still like it better than most other SHMUPS (note I said most, not all: Ikaruga obviously is now closer to my heart). Awesome game, I loved the store system and stuff.

Also it proved to me and others that my 486 could push better graphics than my Super Nintendo.

Good lord, I loved that one. Hell I saw it once for sale and I picked it up. It was probably a hacked copy sold on the retail shelf but I am not aware that it is or not :P

-SPI- wrote: »
    Threat
    Overhead shooter (think smash TV or Crimsonland) with three player co-op (all on the same keyboard!) . So much fun. Plus it had deathmatch as well.

Skyroads
    Hard to describe. It was like a puzzle racing game. All you had to do was make it to the end of the course, which is a road in space. Levels had different gravity or your fuel or O2 would drain quicker and the road itself could have different properties like sections that just make you explode or speed up.

Solar Winds
    A space combat/rpg. It has quests and trading, much like a more linear story driven version of Escape Velocity really.

Skyroads was weird but cool and I did play solar winds, But never picked up the full version. I still wish I could of finished that and Zone-66.

Oh and TYRIAN FTW! I need to locate the gbc version of it sometime.

Viscountalpha on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TDF2192.jpg

Oh, man, I played the shit out of the demo for this that came on this disc that was a part of a mega-pack of budget programs and the like, and it's got one of the best opening themes and sequences to any game I've played. I just wish I could find a full copy of it without paying an arm and a leg.

EDIT: And Raptor. Oh how I loved thee, Psycho Missile Launcher.

Sorenson on
  • KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I loved raptor, although those tantalizing screenshots that they used to try to get you to buy the full version killed me. That green laser will forever inspire PURE DESIRE in my mind.

Anyway, a game that was sort of similar to Raptor: Zone 66. This one was so cool! It was more like a free-form, GTA is Shmup. There was a huge square grid, and all sorts of enemy planes would fly around and defend the "critical points" on a map, which you had to bomb. The thing is, it wasnt really a shmup, since you could move in any direction at will, but there was just so much different artwork put into each level, and since you could change the loadout of your plane, it was really cool to try a bunch of different strategies. If I remember correctly, you could even land on an enemy airstrip and switch to using one of their planes! It was so awesome, and I can only imagine how much content must have been in the full version.

Kiwistrike on
    edited March 2007
    I remember having a trailer for zone 66 and really wanting it. I think the trailer came with time commando? Man, those were the days when PC games took as many risks as the consoles, if not more.

Kiwistrike on
  • Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Also there was this "educational" game where you play as a fish, and you have to evolve while trying to survive in the ocean. It was for Mac, around 1992-93, and you could choose things like a guppy, barracuda, and other things.

Sounds like the sequel to Odell Lake, Odell Down Under.

Mr. Gruntor on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    I remember having a trailer for zone 66 and really wanting it. I think the trailer came with time commando? Man, those were the days when PC games took as many risks as the consoles, if not more.

We need a new sandbox shmup. There was another game that sort of had that-- Burai fighter for the NES. Look it up. I would consider it a unique shmup.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2007
    Oh gosh I remember going to the "computer library" and loading games into the two-drive macs. Everyone always wanted Odell Lake.

It blew when you started off as algae!

Kiwistrike on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CapnARRR wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »

WHAT WAS IT.

I had good times playing that with my Dad. Good times.

Gorilla.

was that literally its name?

man thanks. Ill try to dig it up. I put a whole description many times into google got nothing

http://www.google.com/search?q=gorilla+basic+game&revid=1781410467&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&ct=revision&cd=1

It was written in QBasic, so it's generally known as Basic Gorilla or some such.

better than gorilla: Scorched Earth
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/144

Better than Scorched Earth
    howitzer.png

Yes, really. It had tons of more options, dozens of more weapons, guidance systems, shield variations, parachutes and hover jets, gravity and atmospheric settings, tracers, etc. etc. etc. and the most important thing:

SIMULTANEOUS FIRING

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited March 2007
    Oh, hell, I just remembered The Journeyman Project and just being blown away by it, especially the video for what I thought at the time was a fully-fleshed out one with full video and the like. I wanted to cruise around aquatic tunnels in a minisub, damn it.

AND STAR CRUSADER. Holy shit did I piss away dozens of hours on that, dicking around with pilot training and territory conquoring and exploring the various end-mission branches.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who still can't bear to watch the death FMV.

Sounds like the sequel to Odell Lake, Odell Down Under.
    And another one. We had an old Apple 2 in my classroom one year in grade school and we'd play the piss out of that.

God damn anglers.

Sorenson on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasteland on the first page reminds me of why I love this forum.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

We need a new sandbox shmup. There was another game that sort of had that-- Burai fighter for the NES. Look it up. I would consider it a unique shmup.

Have you played Zone 66? You can get it at underdogs, it is actually one of the few games from my childhood that I really want to go back and play.

Ill check burai fighter out.

Kiwistrike on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck everyone for making me remember such fond memories as a child.

...please continue.

Cyberia

Descent

Original Worms

Halloween Harry

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited March 2007
    oh shoot. that scorched earth stuff reminds me of tank wars. did anyone play that? it had like, 8 bit graphics, every tank was just a single color, but it was awesome! In between rounds you could choose to buy a ton of different weapons, and a lot of them were really unique.

Like the intertia dampner, or a shiled which redirected shots, or a NUKE, and if you really were bad, you would end up shooting cherry bombs, which were essentially tiny grenades, at the enemy for half an hour.

Kiwistrike on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread fails utterly for lack of Quest For Glory.

Quest For Glory I: So You Want To Be a Hero? (1989)

932317368-00.gif
    1137534098-00.gif

Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire (1990)

932336822-00.gif
    932336787-00.gif

Quest For Glory III: Wages of War (1992)

932422128-00.gif
    932422286-00.gif

Quest For Glory I VGA Remake (1992)

1104180959-08.gif
    1104180959-01.gif

Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (1993, CD Version 1995)

1133247722-00.gif
    1133277797-00.gif
    1133275587-00.gif

There was also a Quest For Glory V in 1998, but it kinda sucked and I don't feel like posting screenshots of it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does Space Quest count as obscure? Because that was probably the best series of games Sierra ever made.

Sliver on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bioforge and Cyberia....some of my first PC games ever.

oh and the original Xwing and Wing commander

VoodooV on
    edited March 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Does Space Quest count as obscure? Because that was probably the best series of games Sierra ever made.
    The sad truth is that probably all the old adventure games by Sierra and LucasArts can be considered "obscure" now.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God, the games I remember. Air Duel, Simon the Sorcerer (and it's sequel!), The Golden Wombat, Line Wars. Goddamn, I can't even remember them all, I'm going to have to try and think more about this.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    *snip*
    Yes, really. It had ..., guidance systems, shield variations, parachutes and hover jets, gravity and atmospheric settings, tracers, etc. etc. etc. and the most important thing:

SIMULTANEOUS FIRING
    Besides hover jets and gravity settings, Scorched Earth had all of those.

As an aside, DOSbox 7.0 is out and it's amazing. Games that don't run in protected mode (guessing) run like the wind now, especially games with VESA support (60fps in Blood? Quake 1 in software mode at 800x600? Crusader? You name it, it runs), with automatic speed adjustment that actually works.

Glal on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    galactix.gif

Galactix, anyone? Loved this game when I was younger and played it to death.
    DGA wrote:
    Galactix is a vertical scrolling space shooter, where you pass through several waves of attacks until you meet the "boss". The game and story-line are well presented in VGA graphics and SB/Adlib sound, although the gameplay is simpler than some other space shooters. An interesting feature is the claw hand that must be used to gather floating power-ups and weapons.

twmjr on
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    As an aside, DOSbox 7.0 is out and it's amazing. Games that don't run in protected mode (guessing) run like the wind now, especially games with VESA support (60fps in Blood? Quake 1 in software mode at 800x600? Crusader? You name it, it runs), with automatic speed adjustment that actually works.
    Pleasepleaseplease let X-COM Apocalypse run at a good clip now. *downloads*

EDIT: OH GOD. DOWNLOAD IT RIGHT NOW.

Sorenson on
    edited March 2007
    ...7.0?

The version I have is like, 0.56 or something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2007
    twmjr wrote: »
    galactix.gif

Galactix, anyone? Loved this game when I was younger and played it to death.
    DGA wrote:
    Galactix is a vertical scrolling space shooter, where you pass through several waves of attacks until you meet the "boss". The game and story-line are well presented in VGA graphics and SB/Adlib sound, although the gameplay is simpler than some other space shooters. An interesting feature is the claw hand that must be used to gather floating power-ups and weapons.

Oh I remeber galactix. I never did beat that one either. It was cool though.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2007
    Fuck everyone for making me remember such fond memories as a child.

...please continue.

Cyberia

Descent

Original Worms

Halloween Harry

Decent 1, 2 and 3. Sadly I would have to say they are more obscure then the average game. But I spent way too much time with Descent 2. I never did finish 3 even with the cheats. Descent 2 and Descent 3 had a truly awesome intro film.

Good times. Except I still wish I had my 486 dx2-66. Back in 94 it was hot stuff. Now its only good as a firewall.

Viscountalpha on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Best obscure/ancient PC game? The first Terminator game made for PC, released by Bethesda. It also holds the distinction of being the best fucking Terminator game ever made.

Titlescreen.gif

First off, you got to choose whether or not you were Reese or the Terminator. Your character was either tougher or weaker, depending on who you choose. If you choose the terminator and begin taking damage civilians will call the police, run away from you and generally obstruct you. On the plus side, you can take a severe beating, hotwire cars with ease and lug around half an armory with you. Which, by the way, you could break into and then bail before the cops and army show up, or shoot your way out.

LAMap.png

If you want to find your way around anywhere and the map of LA was huge for its time, as you can see above, so to speed things up you find things the same way as the movie. Phone books. You can find them in phone booths all over the city, or if you're the terminator you simply take one around with you.

Phonebook.gif

Its seperated into residential and comercial for convenience, but you'll find everything from drug stores to gun shops to sports stores in there, along with the co-ordinates so that you can traverse the map to reach it. Theres also a couple of armories dotted around the city if you wanted to get your hands on some serious gear. When you entered a store you could either pay for stuff from money you got from robbing banks, ATMs and people or shoot the owner and help yourself, or just simply steal it from the shelving. It had a threat level similar to GTAs where you'd have a certain amount of time after doing something along those lines, giving you a limited amount of time to load up on ammo, a new pair of shoes or that sweet Magnum you spotted when you came through the door before making a run for it.

Gunshop.gif

Fucking awesome game though. I spent hours and hours playing this as a kid, both as Reese and the T-800. Reese was a bitch to hit because of how fast he was, wheres the Terminator was slower but took forever to kill. Oh and you had to find Sarah Connor too, which is what usually took forever.

They still haven't made a Terminator game that could stand up to it though.

Kelor on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

As for my opinion one of the best obscue & ancient PC game.

Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure

[img]http://www.juegomania.org/ Relentless:+Twinsens+Adventure/fotos/pc/4/4665_t/Foto+Relentless:+Twinsens+Adventure.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.gamingbliss.com/ games/unsorted/relentless.jpg[/img]

As a child, I don't think I ever made it far into this game. In fact, I vaguely remember stoping at the point where I had to go into the protagonist's finance's house, hide from the guards, and obtain my first weapon (some strange bouncing ball).

TWINSEN!!! I played the heck out of Twinsen's Odyssey--the sequel to Relentless. I played the first one too, getting to the end, even--that one was harder, though. Oh man I loved those games so hard. <3

The Kyrandia games were beautiful as well. I still long to play them again today...

And all the Treasure Mountain/Cove/etc games.

Nevermore was something I got to play only about a year ago-- I loved it.

Ooooooooh, King's Quest and Carmen Sandiego games are by no means rare, but those, those go in the list too... Such memories...

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    The sad truth is that probably all the old adventure games by Sierra and LucasArts can be considered "obscure" now.
    The Monkey Island franchise is an exception to this rule. It's like the Princess Bride of video games. It's that one game everyone's played, but thinks they're the only one to play it.

And I feel compelled to mention that Space Quest 4 is the best of the Space Quest Franchise.

Time traveling between sequels + Gary Owens narration = win.

Sliver on
  • MozuMozu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    5 pages and no one mentions...

outlaws.jpg

...or...

Caratula+Syndicate.jpg

...?

For SHAME!

Mozu on
    "...Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird other than the one that is has first marked." -Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    CapnARRR wrote: »

WHAT WAS IT.

I had good times playing that with my Dad. Good times.

Gorilla.

was that literally its name?

man thanks. Ill try to dig it up. I put a whole description many times into google got nothing

http://www.google.com/search?q=gorilla+basic+game&revid=1781410467&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&ct=revision&cd=1

It was written in QBasic, so it's generally known as Basic Gorilla or some such.

better than gorilla: Scorched Earth
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/144

howitzer.png

Yes, really. It had tons of more options, dozens of more weapons, guidance systems, shield variations, parachutes and hover jets, gravity and atmospheric settings, tracers, etc. etc. etc. and the most important thing:

SIMULTANEOUS FIRING

geez, how come people aren't more excited about these games. gorilla came on our old dosshell on our 386. it was sweet. then i remember my bro got a copy of scorched earth from one of his computer friends. these are the predecessors of worms and they were awesome. scorched had my first game experience with napalm which was one of the best weapons in the game.

theparttime on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tyrian01.jpg

Countless hours spent.

Veegeezee on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ...7.0?

He means to say .70, not 7.0. But yeah, you're behind on some versions. The newest version has a neat auto option for core and cycles. And finally plays WC : Privateer very well.
    dosbox2007011617094742mv6.th.jpg

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »
    ...7.0?

He means to say .70, not 7.0. But yeah, you're behind on some versions. The newest version has a neat auto option for core and cycles. And finally plays WC : Privateer very well.
    dosbox2007011617094742mv6.th.jpg

I've had trouble playing pseudo-3D games like Duke Nukem 3D and Terminal Velocity. Not sure if it's just that my computer is too slow or if DOSBox actually has problems running those.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quarantine-gamebox.jpg

I still like this game better than any GTA. Being a cab driver in Kemo City - Home of the Lunatics? Maxing out your cab with all kind of shit like circle saws on the hood, a flak gun on the roof and some 50 cal instead of lights + uzi for a little drive by action? Mounting C4 on the bumper and arming it a second before you crash in some other asshole? What person could not like such a game?
    And let's not forget the ejection seat for passengers pissing you off.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg