Options

Final Fantasy: Baker's Dozen +1

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Btw, in FFT did white mages get exp for healing allies? I seem to remember that being my biggest (and ignoring the translation, only) complaint about the game, since it's pretty hard to level white mages up.

Yeah, they got exp for healing. Infact, theres a leveling trick you can do where you put a monk in the center of a 5 person cross, and have your team mates do their weakest attack to your monk and afterwards, you heal with the monk by using his skill (can't remember the name). Every body will get 10 exp and 20 jexp (you have jexp plus, right?) per round guaranteed. Every 10 turns everyone gains a level, and after 50 turns or so, the monsters on that level will do either 1 or 0 damage to you. After a 1000 turns, all 5 of your team are now level 99.

Ah ok, it must've been a different SRPG I was thinking of then.

Zen Vulgarity: You expected non-FF related projects at the 20th Anniversary of Final Fantasy?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I meant in general.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    XII won't replace it. Poor, poor XII...

XII replaces every FF out there bar none. VIII is definitly the most underated of them though as I loved that one the most until XII came along and just blew me away.

skyfire on
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That junctioning shit pissed me off. I liked using materia a million times better. At least it made sense.

In other words you suck and couldn't figure it out. And how does anything in final fantasy "make sense"? it's fantasy/sci-fi. Only thing that doesn't make sense is you.

skyfire on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man SE, MAKE NEW FUCKING IP.

In all honesty the only things making most of these games the same IP is Cid, Moogles, Chocobos, and the occasional Catcuar.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    skyfire wrote: »

XII replaces every FF out there bar none. VIII is definitly the most underated of them though as I loved that one the most until XII came along and just blew me away.

IX was a better and more under rated game than VIII ever was. VIII isn't under rated, its just hated.

And skyfire, I'm sure AbsoluteZero understood the junctioning system, its just that any system that can have a level 20 character be maxed out in stats is shit. That is his opinion and mine, but it just seems that if VIII was your first FF you love it, if it wasn't your first you tend to hate it.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I have to say that XII is one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games.

Also, IX gets my vote for being the most underrated.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

In all honesty the only things making a most of these games the same IP is Cid, Moogles, Chocobos, and the occasional Catcuar.

What? That wasn't even a sentence. I think I agree with you, but I'm not sure.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

In all honesty the only things making a most of these games the same IP is Cid, Moogles, Chocobos, and the occasional Catcuar.

I'm saying that most FF games, if the names were changed and a few elements shuffled around, could easily be concidered different IPs entirely.

Square tends to be experimental with their Final Fantasy IP.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'm saying that most FF games, if the names were changed and a few elements shuffled around, could easily be concidered different IPs entirely.

Square tends to be experimental with their Final Fantasy IP.

Oh. Yeah, I agree.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

IX was a better and more under rated game than VIII ever was. VIII isn't under rated, its just hated.

And skyfire, I'm sure AbsoluteZero understood the junctioning system, its just that any system that can have a level 20 character be maxed out in stats is shit. That is his opinion and mine, but it just seems that if VIII was your first FF you love it, if it wasn't your first you tend to hate it.

FFVIII was the second FF game I played and I still loved it... Up until the third disc anyway. After that it turned to crap. The battle between the gardens was awesome (and IMO should've been the real ending).

IMO while I like the idea of having sequels to individual FF games (like FFXII:RW and FFXIII), they really shouldn't have done sequels and prequels to FFVII. I mean, unlike a lot of others I thought Advent Children was awesome and Dirge of Cerberus was decent (at best) but really, they just don't feel like they fit in with FFVII. In fact IMO the only one that does (so far) is Crisis Core and that's because it focuses around a part that clearly was a part of the original story but it fleshes it out.

The plan with Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII seems pretty cool though. Based on seperate worlds but with a common theme.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't know anybody for whom ff8 was their first final fantasy, and I don't know anybody who hates it, let alone as much as you seem to.

My first ff was 6, I liked 7, but I thought that although the battle system was open to abuse ff8 was just a great step forward. Better graphics, better cinematics, more interactive battles (ie, press r1 to hit with gunblade, press buttons during limits, which is one of the many reasons i liked tifa in ff7). I think the translation of ff8 was much better too. Don't get me wrong, ff7 had a great, highly cerebral storyline, but did anyone here really follow it completely without a guide?

and yes you can become incredibly hard at level 20, but you have to earn those spells, weapons and limits one way or another, just as you have to earn knights of the make the game easy in ff7.

malerik on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

VIII was, like, the sixth game in the series I played, and it is now, and has been since I first played it, my favorite FF game. I'm not just taking a contrarian view here - FFVIII is far and away my favorite, and I know I've said that on this board several times before.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man we get it.

Everyone has a favorite Final Fantasy.

The series is like that.

Pata on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    By 2009, the console wars will be irrelevant. All you'll be able to play on any console is Final Fantasy.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    By 2009, the console wars will be irrelevant. All you'll be able to play on any console is Final Fantasy.

Ahahahahahaha.

Pata on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Hey Katchem:

Why was Final Fantasy 6 afraid of Final Fantasy 7?
    Because 7 ... ruined the series! buh-dum-dum-tsh
    boo-urns.
    I agree.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    malerik wrote: »

I don't know anybody for whom ff8 was their first final fantasy, and I don't know anybody who hates it, let alone as much as you seem to.

My first ff was 6, I liked 7, but I thought that although the battle system was open to abuse ff8 was just a great step forward. Better graphics, better cinematics, more interactive battles (ie, press r1 to hit with gunblade, press buttons during limits, which is one of the many reasons i liked tifa in ff7). I think the translation of ff8 was much better too. Don't get me wrong, ff7 had a great, highly cerebral storyline, but did anyone here really follow it completely without a guide?

and yes you can become incredibly hard at level 20, but you have to earn those spells, weapons and limits one way or another, just as you have to earn knights of the make the game easy in ff7.

I think my hate stems from the fact that I had to save for 3 or 4 months to get the money to get the game on release day and I didn't like it at all, and so I just grew more and more hate for it. I mean, I'm sure it isn't as bad as I see it, but I just can't see it in any way but horrible.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No. Remakes and ports (of things that aren't FF) first.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Except The Bouncer.

That IP can go die in a fire.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    malerik wrote: »
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    Tzen wrote: »
    This is a bit off topic, but I'm going to say...

If you hated VIII back in the day, it's probably worth giving it a second chance now.

I'm not an FF fan by any stretch of the imagination; I've never beat any FF game. I played a lot of VI, but I never beat it myself because I watched my brother and friend play through it and finish it. I got caught up in the VII hype on release and got to the end, but by then the razzle dazzle had worn off and I had no real desire to level up my characters and finish it once and for all. I think the game gets a rather weak after you leave the city. I still bought VIII when it came out, and I was completely disgusted by it. I absolutely hated everything about it. But I gave it another shot a few months ago and it's really not that bad. If my attention span had held out, I'd probably have beaten it.

Anyway, that's all i have to say about that.

Honestly, I tried to play VIII again about 6 months ago, and the general set up of that game does not jive with me for some reason. Dunno why exactly.

For me, its that over leveling too much will destroy you, but underleveling will only hurt in that you may not get the best of everything. Once I looked over the guide and saw that the monsters leveled with me, I turned the game off in disgust and haven't looked back. I can understand the monsters being a little more difficult, but when the game is assrape hard when you get near level 50, its just not fun for me.

I mean, tactics did it as well, but only for the random encounters. The story missions had the levels of the NPCs set at a specific number and did not vary, so leveling helped in the story, but over leveling before certain equipment became available hurt.

I once made the mistake of making Ramza Godlike in comparison to everyone else in FFT, and it resulted in me being pretty much unable to continue. No one else could survive the battles more than a round or two, and Ramza could not handle 6-10 bad guys on his own when they were almost his equal in terms of power.

I once made the mistake of leveling ramza and party to level 99 after the second random fight location opened up. Man was the story easy after that, but I had to stop at EVERY point on the map and save as the next random fight was able to destroy me.

Took me a whole summer to do it, but I was a determined little shit.

I'm sorry, but the random encounters in FF8 were just not hard. Level-ups were largely unimportant, as like you said the enemies levelled with you. Instead you got more and more powerful spells and gfs and junctioned your stats and boosted your stats like crazy. The FF8 battle system can become totally unbalanced if you know how to use it.

Also, get Zell, get him hurt down to yellow. batter the switch character button a lot. when he gets his limit, press:

10 left, right.
    20 x o.
    30 goto 10

I once managed at 35 hit combo using this.

The only battles I remember struggling with were the last boss and omega weapon.
    I mean come on, the game has an item that MAKES YOU INVULNERABLE.

Through careful use of the card system (while bored) I managed to beat ifrit in one hit. It's THAT broken.

This string of comments seems to be confused, some people are talking about FFVIII (where overleveling will affect you, but not too bad), while others are talking about FFT (where overleveling will ruin your life in random battles early on)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    needs more Chrono Trigger DS!

that and Front Mission 1st release outside of japan!

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Except The Bouncer.

Okay. Remakes and ports (of things that aren't FF and were made in the 20th century) first.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Except The Bouncer.

Considering SE doesn't even handle their own ports and remakes, they can farm those out to whichever company they use, and THEN get cracking on new stuff. Like, non-FF and Mana stuff. Because really, Mana has sucked since Secret of Mana. Well, Legend of Mana was alright, but only with a guide. They just need to stop fucking around and bring Seiken Densetsu 3 to the DS.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seiken Densetsu 3, Chrono Trigger and Terranigma on the DS and I can die happy.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Except The Bouncer.

Considering SE doesn't even handle their own ports and remakes, they can farm those out to whichever company they use, and THEN get cracking on new stuff. Like, non-FF and Mana stuff. Because really, Mana has sucked since Secret of Mana. Well, Legend of Mana was alright, but only with a guide. They just need to stop fucking around and bring Seiken Densetsu 3 to the DS.

More accurately, Mana has sucked since Secret of Mana in the US and Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japan. And I never could beat Legend (thats the gba remake right?) I got stuck somewhere and even with gamefaqs couldn't figure the damn dungeon out.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man we get it.

Everyone has a favorite Final Fantasy.

The series is like that.

seriously folks. these stupid discussion on i like this one you like that one seem to be as old as time itself.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to an internet forum, Sonos

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Except The Bouncer.

More accurately, Mana has sucked since Secret of Mana in the US and Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japan. And I never could beat Legend (thats the gba remake right?) I got stuck somewhere and even with gamefaqs couldn't figure the damn dungeon out.

Legend was the PS1 game. Watercolor everywhere. Beautiful game with some nice music, but the "build the world" system made for a very low chance of catching any story at all.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to an internet forum, Sonos

heh you'd think i would have learned by now. carry on then. here i'll contribute.

it is impossible to argue that final fantasy X was not the series best. and X-2 because it was a sequel to the best. sigh

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd take issue with X-2, but I didn't play it. For good reason, of course. I mean, did you SEE the game? Jesus Christ.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah... we've actually been talking about different stuff for a while now. You jumped on the wrong bandwagon.

edit: Damn. The conversation turned that way. Way to give them the opening! (FFX is best, FFVII is fav don't kill me)

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd take issue with X-2, but I didn't play it. For good reason, of course. I mean, did you SEE the game? Jesus Christ.

sarcasm. ruined a good game and sent SE down the very bad road of milking a franchise for profit in far too many ways. hence the 35 versions of 13 coming out. guarunteed most will completely suck and take away from any decent versions.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You missed the best battle system of any Final Fantasy game ever.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah I did see it, and play it, it was awesome (not joking). While some people like to wack off to FFXII's battle system, FFX-2's battle system was far superior and a lot more fun.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I could care less what the battle system is like if I can't stomach the intro movie.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah I did see it, and play it, it was awesome (not joking). While some people like to wack off to FFXII's battle system, FFX-2's battle system was far superior and a lot more fun.

Agreed. I really hope they drop the whole MMO-alike thing.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I could care less what the battle system is like if I can't stomach the intro movie.
    You mean couldn't care less.

And I thought it was rather sad that the sphere grid wasn't still there in some respect. I really enjoyed that aspect of the game.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

And I thought it was rather sad that the sphere grid wasn't still there in some respect. I really enjoyed that aspect of the game.

True. I do mean, "couldn't care less"

I played the demo, and I really liked the ability to change classes mid-battle and the gun attacks and all the interaction. It just needed an entirely different skin.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

True. I do mean, "couldn't care less"

I played the demo, and I really liked the ability to change classes mid-battle and the gun attacks and all the interaction. It just needed an entirely different skin.

Although I did enjoy FFX-2, I would love to see the battle system/gameplay return in a future FF title.

Vincent Grayson on