Options

Final Fantasy: Baker's Dozen +1

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    I'd take issue with X-2, but I didn't play it. For good reason, of course. I mean, did you SEE the game? Jesus Christ.

You missed the best battle system of any Final Fantasy game ever.

I could care less what the battle system is like if I can't stomach the intro movie.
    Boo hoo? Really, the intro wasn't that bad and the fact that it isn't actually Yuna singing it makes it fine IMO. As long as you go into the game expecting a very light hearted FF game and an awesome battle system, you'll have a good time. The only thing I found wrong with FFX-2 was that it kind of ruined FFX's fantastic ending.

Sunday_Assassin: Luckily, it sounds like XIII's battle system will pretty much be X-2's battle system with Advent Children's over the top-ness and without random battles (from what they've said, you'll be able to see enemies before battle and if you choose to attack them, you'll go into the normal FF battle mode). I can't wait.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd take issue with X-2, but I didn't play it. For good reason, of course. I mean, did you SEE the game? Jesus Christ.

I could care less what the battle system is like if I can't stomach the intro movie.
    Boo hoo? Really, the intro wasn't that bad and the fact that it isn't actually Yuna singing it makes it fine IMO. As long as you go into the game expecting a very light hearted FF game and an awesome battle system, you'll have a good time. The only thing I found wrong with FFX-2 was that it kind of ruined FFX's fantastic ending.

Sunday_Assassin: Luckily, it sounds like XIII's battle system will pretty much be X-2's battle system with Advent Children's over the top-ness and without random battles (from what they've said, you'll be able to see enemies before battle and if you choose to attack them, you'll go into the normal FF battle mode). I can't wait.

Those were my two main problems with the game. I don't care to play a light-hearted FF, and the shit that X-2's plot took on FFX further cemented my decision to avoid X-2. When I play a FF game, I want the whole package. Gameplay, Graphics, Music, Plot, everything.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Those were my two main problems with the game. I don't care to play a light-hearted FF, and the shit that X-2's plot took on FFX further cemented my decision to avoid X-2. When I play a FF game, I want the whole package. Gameplay, Graphics, Music, Plot, everything.

X-2 is a great game, just not a particularly compelling story-driven RPG. It's like playing the funnest game of kick ball ever, but having to sit through Britney Spears after every point.
    I'm aware this was a really bad metaphor

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My whole gripe with X-2 wasn't the fruitiness, because the battle system was indeed fun. No, it was with the blatant recycling of monsters and locales. I swear, maybe 25% of the backgrounds were new.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man SE, MAKE NEW FUCKING IP.

No. Remakes and ports (of things that aren't FF) first.

And Front Mission localizations. All of them.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a joke about X-2 made into a real discussion. sheesh. no series gets people as crazy as final fantasy.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    a joke about X-2 made into a real discussion. sheesh. no series gets people as crazy as final fantasy.

It's a polarizing series.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FFVIII was the second FF game I played and I still loved it... Up until the third disc anyway. After that it turned to crap. The battle between the gardens was awesome (and IMO should've been the real ending).

See, this is my absolute biggest beef with FFVII and VIII. The setups for the games are great, especially VIII. Badass school for ninja teenagers that can act as superspies and mercenaries? And the school FLIES and SHOOTS LAZOR BEAMZ? Christ. That'd be awesome.

... but not as an RPG. I mean, not as a turn-based, "microcosm'd"-battle classic RPG as VIII was constructed. The setting and much of the plot for VIII (before we got dumb stuff like
    Laguna out of nowhere and "oh the GFs made us forget we were all orphans together"
    ) really begged for a stealth action game like Metal Gear Solid, or perhaps an explore-and-gear-gathering game ala Metroid or Castlevania. I mean, jesus, imagine the Garden battle scenes plotted out in something like the Metroid Prime engine, with Squall wielding a gunblade God of War style. Or even just the first mission. Leap off the speeding boat, cut a guy in half, and then use the gun feature to pick off a few other twits. Yes.

It was a great concept, married to the most inappropriate game mechanics imaginable for what was presented.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    See, this is my absolute biggest beef with FFVII and VIII. The setups for the games are great, especially VIII. Badass school for ninja teenagers that can act as superspies and mercenaries? And the school FLIES and SHOOTS LAZOR BEAMZ? Christ. That'd be awesome.

... but not as an RPG. I mean, not as a turn-based, "microcosm'd"-battle classic RPG as VIII was constructed. The setting and much of the plot for VIII (before we got dumb stuff like
    Laguna out of nowhere and "oh the GFs made us forget we were all orphans together"
    ) really begged for a stealth action game like Metal Gear Solid, or perhaps an explore-and-gear-gathering game ala Metroid or Castlevania. I mean, jesus, imagine the Garden battle scenes plotted out in something like the Metroid Prime engine, with Squall wielding a gunblade God of War style. Or even just the first mission. Leap off the speeding boat, cut a guy in half, and then use the gun feature to pick off a few other twits. Yes.

It was a great concept, married to the most inappropriate game mechanics imaginable for what was presented.

you just made a game that would have had a small fraction of the popularity it actually recieved and been an instant discount title. see Dirge of Cerebus for recent examples. final fantasy 8 was the biggest seller of the series so I doubt SE is regretting anything they did.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

you just made a game that would have had a small fraction of the popularity it actually recieved and been an instant discount title. see Dirge of Cerebus for recent examples. final fantasy 8 was the biggest seller of the series so I doubt SE is regretting anything they did.

And immediately after VIII, sales of the franchise nosedived worldwide. FFXII has barely broken a million and a half in sales, a paltry third of what its predecessors in the heyday of the PS1 could manage. VIII as it was presented broke the image of FF as a quality series for a lot of people.

I wasn't even thinking about the game as "Final Fantasy"; I was simply saying, something that modern and action oriented doesn't work too well with the old ATB gameplay that the series used during the older console generations.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "oh the GFs made us forget we were all orphans together"

That could have been done so well.
    Persona 2: Innocent Sin did it perfectly.

In fact, that entire game was basically "here's how Final Fantasy VIII should have been done.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And immediately after VIII, sales of the franchise nosedived worldwide. FFXII has barely broken a million and a half in sales, a paltry third of what its predecessors in the heyday of the PS1 could manage. VIII as it was presented broke the image of FF as a quality series for a lot of people.

I want you to ponder how few video games get even close to that.

I don't think Square is that worried.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I want you to ponder how few video games get even close to that.

I don't think Square is that worried.

Yes, but I don't think that main-series Final Fantasy games should be lumped into that crowd.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Fuckin' A. I haven't been keeping up with any of the info on it (cut off all contact with Final Fantasy gossip rounds about the US FFXII release to avoid spoilers... and the didn't play it past the hour mark), so I have no idea what to expect.

Now I've just got to hope it comes out for a console I want to buy (or that the PS3 somehow becomes an attractive option).

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I wasn't even thinking about the game as "Final Fantasy"; I was simply saying, something that modern and action oriented doesn't work too well with the old ATB gameplay that the series used during the older console generations.

then blame final fantasy 9 which no one names as their favorite as the perp not 8. I didn't like 8 but it's still a fan favorite to quite a few people.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

then blame final fantasy 9 which no one names as their favorite as the perp not 8. I didn't like 8 but it's still a fan favorite to quite a few people.

It's my favorite.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It's my favorite.

one. got it. ;-)

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Exactly. The decline in FF's popularity is mostly down to FFIX. It took too long to be released and was too traditional to keep all the people that jumped on at FFVIII.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What

No one claims FFIX as their favorite?

So I don't exist?

Furu on
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    What

So I don't exist?

I don't know if IX is my favorite, but if not it's pretty damn close. I love that game.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's my favourite, too.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What

So I don't exist?

Of course it's going to be some peoples favourite but it just doesn't appeal to mainstream gamers. I mean, using some anecdotal evidence, some of my friends who first got into the FF series with FFVIII wouldn't buy FFIX because it was too cartoony and 'kid'-ish.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What

So I don't exist?

Of course it's going to be some peoples favourite but it just doesn't appeal to mainstream gamers. I mean, using some anecdotal evidence, some of my friends who first got into the FF series with FFVIII wouldn't buy FFIX because it was too cartoony and 'kid'-ish.

If that's the mainstream gamer then the mainstream gamer can go fuck themselves.

Furu on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What

So I don't exist?

I love FF9 too. Isn't it just as likely that people bought FF7 and loved it, and then bought FF8 and realized its a piece of shit. Hence, FF9's sales were sluggish. I mean, since we're just guessing here, can't we guess pretty much anything we like?

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i fucking take it back then. ff9 is the greatest in the series. no, the greatest game ever made.

happy?

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    What

So I don't exist?

I love FF9 too. Isn't it just as likely that people bought FF7 and loved it, and then bought FF8 and realized its a piece of shit. Hence, FF9's sales were sluggish. I mean, since we're just guessing here, can't we guess pretty much anything we like?

Except that the only people I've heard bitch about FFVIII are the actual "fans" (quoted because FF fans are hardly ever actually fans of the entire series). All of my friends that played FFVII and then FFVIII, enjoyed it.

Furu: I'd say they're right though. Final Fantasy IX just wasn't targetted towards the new fans the FF series had gained with FFVII and FFVIII. It was targetted towards the fans of the SNES FF's and it showed.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well to be fair most of the fans we added on in the 7 and 8 era i'm pretty sure. and the mainstream fans arent a bad thing really. all that money pouring in to SE's bank makes for higher production value, better programmer's etc etc etc. Maybe its not always everyone's cup of tea but the games always look great and are always innovative imo.

i loved the hell out of 12. actually i love 7, 10, 11 and 12. didnt play 9. hated 8 couldnt finish it. 1-6 i've played as GBA ports and i'm not much of a retro gamer so they didnt hold my interest. so i like what they do with the new stuff. :^:

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The problem with FF9, as I've said, was it came out just after Skies of Arcadia came out, and nobody can really deny that Skies was the better RPG.

Then again, I haven't liked a Final Fantasy game since VI, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I guess.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like VIII and IX about the same; which is a lot. Unfortunately VIII has become one of those games where it's cool to hate it (coughhalocough). It honestlly doesn't deserve the amount of flack it gets.

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The problem with FF9, as I've said, was it came out just after Skies of Arcadia came out, and nobody can really deny that Skies was the better RPG.

Denied.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Denied.
    Yeah, um, even though I enjoyed Skies way more than FF9, there's really no way in hell you can make such a claim and pretend that it's the status-quo opinion.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So... i dont follow FF much honestly, but has no one brought this up? The talks of possibly ditching exclusivity to the PS3... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    characters were wierd looking. Could not get behind that.

Also FF XII might be the only FF I dont finish. I just hate everything about the battle system and the license board. Oh and also Van and Penello. Also the story just seems like it has potential but is just so slow to develop so far I cant stand it. It's like, I know shit is going down but I just dont care. I dont care about these characters. The ones I like are in the supporting cast role so I dont really care to pregress the story cause I think they will only get marginal development.

I think I stopped playing on some snow mountain area. Tell me it gets way better toward the end and maybe I will pick it back up.

Also I really liked FF VIII. The story was really terrible the first time I played it but when I went back to it a while later it made alot more sense. Not saying some of it wasnt stupid, just that it got better.

Ahtari on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ahtari wrote: »

Also FF XII might be the only FF I dont finish. I just hate everything about the battle system and the license board. Oh and also Van and Penello. Also the story just seems like it has potential but is just so slow to develop so far I cant stand it. It's like, I know shit is going down but I just dont care. I dont care about these characters. The ones I like are in the supporting cast role so I dont really care to pregress the story cause I think they will only get marginal development.

I think I stopped playing on some snow mountain area. Tell me it gets way better toward the end and maybe I will pick it back up.

Also I really liked FF VIII. The story was really terrible the first time I played it but when I went back to it a while later it made alot more sense. Not saying some of it wasnt stupid, just that it got better.

the thing that people bitched about in X (being too linear) was bitched about in XII when it wasn't linear. in XII I found you had to back off of mobs a bit and level a tad before progessing the story. so it slowed it down a bit. in X it was story story story oshit i am at the end I think i'll do stuff before I fight Sin. but the story was very linear, together and you didn't forget what was going on.

personally ive found people who didnt like the XII battle system arent good at managing real time gameplay. basically, they just suck at the new style so they say they dont like it. not everyone of course but i think its true for the most part. to each his very own.

thats my take on the two. X through XII I enjoyed so much more than any other earlier version.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

the thing that people bitched about in X (being too linear) was bitched about in XII when it wasn't linear. in XII I found you had to back off of mobs a bit and level a tad before progessing the story. so it slowed it down a bit. in X it was story story story oshit i am at the end I think i'll do stuff before I fight Sin. but the story was very linear, together and you didn't forget what was going on.

personally ive found people who didnt like the XII battle system arent good at managing real time gameplay. basically, they just suck at the new style so they say they dont like it. not everyone of course but i think its true for the most part. to each his very own.

thats my take on the two. X through XII I enjoyed so much more than any other earlier version.

I'll throw in a counterpoint here. I'm managing XII's battle system just fine, but all of my characters are weapon-based fighters that dabble in white magic. If that's what SE was going for, that's fine. I like beating the snot out of things, but it's sometimes (and preferred by some) to have a slower system that lets you think more and have tighter control over everything.

For example, I used lots of mages in FFT. Because I could take my time and plan out exactly what I wanted them to do. I also used magic in FFX. I could look at an enemy, remember he's weak to ice, swap Lulu in and magic him to death.

The gambit system in XII should be combating this, but it takes so long to get gambits that lend themselves to magic use that most magic has outlived its usefulness by the time you get them.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Neither Vaan nor Penello are even important to the story once you leave Rabinaster (sp) for the first time and head to the Tomb of Kings or whatever it was; haven't played in awhile. After that Balthier is more or less the main character even though they try to push the princess/queen and Bash as the "heroes". Which is nice because Balthier is one of the coolest characters in video games IMO.

And I'm not really going to get into the battle system. I understand that its (on the surface only) a departure from previous ff battle systems and for that people are "offended". Unfortunately this is stupid, and the only real difference is that it's not in a different "zone", it's in realtime, you can move, which has no real bearing on battles apart from AoE attacks/heals; movement during battles is more visual than anything else, and it automates things that you just spammed whatever the accept button on the system you're playing previous FF's on for. What a fucking tragedy. How dare they?

Give me a fucking break.

Anyway, the story never really reaches a depth that some of the previous FF's do, but the "main" characters (Bash, Fran, Balthier, Ashe) actually are developed more, and have more personality than the majority of other FF characters from previous games. By the end of the game you might find it hard to really care whether or not they defeat some guy controlling the empire, an empire which is shown to not really even be evil, by that point you don't really even want to destroy the empire, you just want people to move on with their lives, which really IMO is the point of the entire story. Not the war, or threat of, or whatever, but people being trapped by their pasts and not knowing how to move on and live.

If that's your thing, keep playing, the game gets progressively more "epic" feeling in areas and bosses, particularly if you do the hunts, and it is damn pretty to look at a lot of the time. If you don't go out of your way to level in each area, the game actually has a pretty decent challenge level for a FF, which I was really pleased with. Of course the second time I played through I totally destroyed the curve and WAY outleveled where I was and the game was a joke difficulty, but I wasn't doing it for difficulty at that point, I was doing it for completeness.

If you want the game to have a challenge and be more fun the first time you play through do not under any circumstances get the zodiac spear as soon as you can and do not farm deathbringers in the mines. Both those things will make 3/4 of the game jokingly easy and likely ruin the feel of the battle system, because you'll never get a chance to "get it" because everything will die in 2 hits or less; including most bosses. You can really feel like you're in an epic battle if you're properly leveled and equipped for where you are in the game, and learn how to handle the micromanagement in the battle. Which, again, is functionally identical to every previous FF, it just appears different; but there are those who just can't get past the surface.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    I'll throw in a counterpoint here. I'm managing XII's battle system just fine, but all of my characters are weapon-based fighters that dabble in white magic. If that's what SE was going for, that's fine. I like beating the snot out of things, but it's sometimes (and preferred by some) to have a slower system that lets you think more and have tighter control over everything.

For example, I used lots of mages in FFT. Because I could take my time and plan out exactly what I wanted them to do. I also used magic in FFX. I could look at an enemy, remember he's weak to ice, swap Lulu in and magic him to death.

The gambit system in XII should be combating this, but it takes so long to get gambits that lend themselves to magic use that most magic has outlived its usefulness by the time you get them.

i agree but coming from a strong FFXI background where everyone bitched about mages being too strong...I didnt mind melees getting some love. Paladin fest was nice since that was my main in the MMO :P

Magic wasn't needed but it was fun. You know you can say the same about the really early games. On 1 and 2 my WHMs were there just in case...but half the time they just melee. same with BLM.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Then don't use the freaking gambits. Did you not know you could manually control your characters during a fight? The gambits are not and were not intended to replace user control in fights, they're to automate commonly used tasks like curing poison and such. Obviously you can make more "advanced" gambits, but if you're expecting to make a character with a gambit for every situation and let them play themselves you're going to be sorely disappointed.

And the battle speed? One; there's a battle speed adjuster in settings. Two; you can make it so the battle pauses when you're in a menu. How much slower could you possibly want it? You can make it slower than FFIV, which was the first ATB FF game. In fact the battle system in FFXII is more akin to FFIV-VII than anything else. It's almost identical to those games with the main difference being the "view" of the battle is in real time instead of spawned. Huge difference there.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I dunno, come end-game, aside from Earth-weak foes, my mage would tear any elemental-weak enemy the fuck apart before anyone else had a chance to attack.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I dunno, come end-game, aside from Earth-weak foes, my mage would tear any elemental-weak enemy the fuck apart before anyone else had a chance to attack.

yeh but on the big mobs they couldnt 1 hit kill they would get swamped with waaaaaaay too much hate that was really hard to get rid of even with provoke.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png