As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Folding@Home - Destination: Luna

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Threepio wrote: »
    My work PC is just a glorified home for my BlackBerry redirector now. It won't run the system tray version of F@H, but I've just installed the command line and she's off to the races.

I'm trying to be lighter on my power usage at home, but I'm going to do a few units overnight a few times a week on my PS3. My iMac in the kitchen might get drafted as well :)

I really want to use my iMac at home but it makes my room feel like an oven after an hour or so.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kitchen iMac... Oven... I'm seeing an iGrill in my future.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My work PC is just a glorified home for my BlackBerry redirector now. It won't run the system tray version of F@H, but I've just installed the command line and she's off to the races.

I'm trying to be lighter on my power usage at home, but I'm going to do a few units overnight a few times a week on my PS3. My iMac in the kitchen might get drafted as well :)

I really want to use my iMac at home but it makes my room feel like an oven after an hour or so.

I've got a PC running two clients and a PS3 running Folding in my bedroom...

I haven't turned the heater on in here for 3 years.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just ordered the cheap 6 core amd proc to see how it does folding A3s in linux.

Welcome back Threepio.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Doc.

I have an issue on my work PC - both the command line and the tray client say they've encountered a serious problem in the core and must shut down. Any ideas?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some interesting facts:

We've been going for 3 years. The stats only go so far back, but where they start they show us with 2809 work units accomplished and a team rank of 1996.

Three years later we have over 107,000 units turned in. Team rank is 197 at the moment, and we have had over 400 users contribute over the course of the time we've been active. We're currently at over a dozen active members, and we're actually climbing ranks again.

Edit: Another interesting fact - we're above the internet host that I use to host PS3 Arcadians.

Yet another interesting fact: we're on page 69 of this thread on standard view. Giggity.

"Real" team PA is at 103. But at about 100 users, we're currently falling.
    Just kidding about the "real" part.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Had a machine go down today but it should be repaired soon.

Doczero you are setting an impossible bar. :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have one CECH-20 PS3 running F@H whenever I'm not watch a blu-ray movie, which I rarely do. My main rig is an AMD Phenom 2 710 (triple core 2.6GHz)-Win7 64-bit with 4GB of RAM that I run World Community Grid tasks through BOINC 6.10.57 64-bit, in addition to GPUGRID tasks for its GTX260 (216-core, 65nm).

My mac mini (C2D 2.0GHZ 65nm, 2GB RAM) also run WCG with BOINC 6.10.56.

I also had a shitty laptop running POEM@home for a while, but it is out of commission for the time being due to a poorly-timed power failure rendering the HDD not only unbootable, but unreadable as well. Needs a new HDD, and a new CMOS battery for that thing. I will be getting a second PS3 (CECH-21) soon, which I'll also have running F@H.

I had the Mac running Rosetta@home for two full years 24/7, but their workunits just use too much RAM (at least 550mb each) to run on that machine without slowing the web browser down. MacOS Leopard and even Snow leopard have significant problems with memory paging anyway, so I had to switch. WCG workunits vary, but don't usually use more than 200mb. POEM workunits are extremely memory efficient.

Anyway, nice to see more people getting into distributed computing in general and especially protein folding, even if it isn't the specific project I've been donating to.

bawkbawkboo1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is the second distributed computing platform I've been really involved in. Years ago (2000ish) I was in a SETI@Home team with some friends of mine in high school, and I ran that on a...Pentium...III? K6-2? I don't remember what I had at the time.

That group went away after about a year as we all lost interest in it/forgot. It was also much more difficult to contribute units and see your overall progress in those days. Adding easy to use clients, web sites, and useless points into the equation has been more than enough to keep me involved in Folding@Home these last three years.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just bought a Thuban core to replace the Regor in my video fileserver. I presume it is not correctly configured as it is only getting 1250ppd. What is nice is that at full load (6 cores and 5 drives), it pulls 146 watts total at the wall. The tylersburg box pulls 370 with no drives.

It's starting to warm up so I'll probably wrap the GPU folding for the summer and leave the 6 and 8 core boxes until I smell smoke.

Threepio... What are the last lines from FAHlog.txt?
    Delete the fahcore_##.exe files. It will download the new versions as needed. Backup your client.cfg file.

If you need to go further you can replace the [email]folding@home#######.exe[/email] with current.

Delete the work directory, que and unitinfo files. This will make it all start from scratch.

Edit: Stupid auto email tags.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Doc, I'll give that a shot :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm out of production until the weather cools down. Time to catch up!

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They started rolling out BigAdv units to the Windows SMP client, but since my machine isn't a dedicated folding box, I decided to stick with regular units. I could have made the bonus point deadline rather easily, but I do too much work and gaming on my machine to limit it just to folding.

Also, it's really hot here too DocZero, so I doubt I can catch up, but I'll give it a shot. :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Did you just add the -bigadv flag to your windows 6.29 client to pickup the big ones? I have a server in testing with enough meat to do big units.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had stopped folding @ work because I was using a heavier dev environment, but now I was going to resume. And I ought to bring my PS3 back into use for it! But is there a way to change the timestamp on the PC client? I notice it's in GMT, but I'd like it to be GMT -600.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doczero- Yeah, that's what I did. From the numbers you've been posting lately I'm guessing maybe you tried it already? :)

Arminas- That's a good question, I'm not really sure if there's a way to change the timestamps. Checking the official forums at foldingforum.org might provide the answer?

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have some westmere procs to play with for a week or so. Just struggling with the infrastructure to run more than two.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    doczero wrote: »
    I have some westmere procs to play with for a week or so. Just struggling with the infrastructure to run more than two.

Awesome! Where do you get all this stuff? :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I work for an HP reseller. So there's demo gear around, and sometimes customer equipment I need to burn in to diagnose or typically disprove hardware problems. The two bottom blades in the bottom pic are folding in linux. Each has a single xeon 5670 and 48GB ram. The four blades in the top pic have no storage and I'm short about 4 cpu heatsinks right now. Otherwise they would also be wasting some electricity for science. I have plenty of procs and 288GB memory to spread between them. If I had more time I'd share out the bottom servers drives via Iscsi and boot the other blades from flash or iscsi. I know it's possible, but I havent done it and expect it would be a bit of a learn.

blades.th.jpg
    blades2.th.jpg

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    insert tim allen "more power!" response here

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Very awesome DocZero. Gives new meaning to all those old goofy top secret folding room conversations. :) Some pretty great hardware there.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sad. The nehalems have gone home. I have to find something else to spend my electricity on.
    Anyone going to do a Sandy Bridge quad?

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sad. The nehalems have gone home. I have to find something else to spend my electricity on.
    Anyone going to do a Sandy Bridge quad?

Ah I saw that your numbers changed a bit, sad day indeed. :(

The Sandy Bridge's seem really awesome, but I'm still pretty content with my last year's model i7.

I notice that we have some new users on the team but our numbers are a little shaky right now. Let's keep it going!

I never thought this would last this long to be honest.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    It has been some years, but I am back in the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It has been some years, but I am back in the game.

Awesome! Good to have you back.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah, I bought myself a ps3 around christmas mostly to run netflix without the horrors of silverlight. Would you believe I forgot to set it up for folding until last night.

I also will be adding 8 x7350s, half in windows 2008, half in linux, and only folding at night. So we shouldnt fall too far before something more efficient comes along. Those two chassis folding together blew the fuse on my workbench!
    I had to separate them.

Welcome back J_B_T.

Later,

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, we're down to 15 or so active users and over 400 inactive ones. That's kind of a bummer.

In other news, I recently had some headaches with the newest version of the GPU client, because the console version package they put up is actually only the EXE. So, I had to install the regular client, drill down into my appdata folder to get the necessary DLL files, and then put the exe in the same folder with them. The Folding@Home folks claimed about a month ago they would fix this, but so far nothing.

Support for the beta high performance clients continues to be shaky. :) I've started not running my clients overnight, and I'm going to continue to limit my usage as the temperatures get hotter. However, my resolve is unswavering and I'm not going to abandon the project!

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to get back into it again, but I really do need to stretch out this computer's life while I work on acquiring new parts and building a new one.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's not lack of hardware that has me capped at 85k. It's the electricity! 1400 watts folding 24/7.
    I need some more efficient architectures to fall from the sky.

By the end of June desktop cpu prices should see a shakeup. I'm hoping to hold off till then.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's not lack of hardware that has me capped at 85k. It's the electricity! 1400 watts folding 24/7.
    I need some more efficient architectures to fall from the sky.

By the end of June desktop cpu prices should see a shakeup. I'm hoping to hold off till then.

That's a lot of power! I don't blame you for holding off a bit.

brynstar on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm joining up on the PS3 team. I leave my PS3 running all day anyhow, might as well help people while I do it.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, the real PA team still has 64 active users. :P

Though I haven't been one of them lately....to be rectified, shortly.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eh, I think we can still overtake the "real" folding team.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Eh, I think we can still overtake the "real" folding team.

Yeah, I just noticed the difference in daily totals...holy fuck.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I could start 8 cores folding tomorrow if I really wanted to. 2 in mine, 2 in roommate's, 4 in another roommate's computer.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt to get multicore folding working correctly for statistics though. I need to re-learn that all over again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so how do you win this game

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    You cure cancer.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And when bunnies have superpowers, you got the bad ending.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And when bunnies have superpowers, you got the bad ending.

I dunno, that sounds like a pretty awesome ending too.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't realize I was in the top 20 producers... That's a lot of folding.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577