As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Colouring in for anal adults - PICROSS THREAD!

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You bastards... you went and made me do the first 8 puzzles.

Now I can only get 5 hours of sleep... assuming that I stop this madness right now.

kriegs on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I... I don't know if I get it. Which is :( , because I totally got 100% completion in Brain Age Sudoku..

All the numbers mean, is that SOMEWHERE, in that row/column, there is a block of pixels N long, right? and no other pixels appear in that row anywhere?

And that's all the information you get, right?

edit: ooooooohhhh shiiiiit, it's in order! christ, why didn't you say so!

edit: Got it. Did the first two. Pretty cool. Definitely not as addictive as Sudoku, though. The logic is less "logical", and more searching for patterns, so the "chase" isn't as intense. Still kickass though..

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    MrNarseMrNarse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got very very addicted to Picross on my old Palm Pilot. The screen protector has a perfect grid drawn into it from the hundreds and thousands of games played.

MrNarse on
  • Options
    PhudmanPhudman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I usually play these at http://www.puzzle-nonograms.com/. You can just right click the mouse to x out a square instead of the shift click. Unfortunately the pictures there are usually just random blobs. There's also other puzzle games at that site too (Loops are addicting.)

Phudman on
    XBL tag - OmegaBlaster
  • Options
    cramsincramsin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Try www.griddlers.net. Havent looked in a while but it has coloured versions, as well as puzzles using triangles instead of squares.

cramsin on
    Poke my man! 1418 3225 5229
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the topic of Picross: has there been anything announced regarding that DS Picross? I'd love the ability to exchange puzzles through Wi-Fi.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Phudman wrote: »
    I usually play these at http://www.puzzle-nonograms.com/. You can just right click the mouse to x out a square instead of the shift click. Unfortunately the pictures there are usually just random blobs. There's also other puzzle games at that site too (Loops are addicting.)

The (apparently dead) Puzzle Japan link I posted was a site very similar to this with many of the same types of puzzles. I <3 me some Light Up and Bridges, although it looks like Nurikabe isn't available. I keep getting stupid menu pop-ups whenever I right-click, however, which is seriously turning me off.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I <3 Picross

Klaymen on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell yes! Loved the GB version. I always though the game would be perfect on DS, and now it is! I'll have to look into this.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    On the topic of Picross: has there been anything announced regarding that DS Picross? I'd love the ability to exchange puzzles through Wi-Fi.

Okay I've been doing some rearch and it's pretty damn packed with content!

http://www.cubed3.com/review/463/

-Puzzle creator (with wi-fi and online sharing)
    -Online multiplay speed competitions
    -Regular weekly download packs of extra puzzles from old versions!
    -Daily brain training-esque mode with graphs and such

I may be needing to make a purchase V soon...

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Good job I was hadn't got around to making that order with Play-Asia yet!

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=43IruQ2C0y0ZNyE-yi_oOUtuENnykhzN

"Picross DS launches across Europe on May 11!"

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    damn I love this... i hated sudoku so much I thought I was just not meant for puzzles but, this is stumping me in a good way.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I came here expecting an amateur hentai competition, I'm quite disappointed.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i am very stuck on 6. damn.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really enjoy these, but I am so bad at them.

I've been doing them at griddlers.net, and it's been taking me about twice as long as the "average time" to solve just one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been playing the Japanese version of Mario Picross. Excellent game.
    I've known about Picross before I knew Sudoku but I don't think I would've been able to understand Picross if I didn't play so much sudoku. Definately my new favorite puzzle addiction.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I really enjoy these, but I am so bad at them.

I've been doing them at griddlers.net, and it's been taking me about twice as long as the "average time" to solve just one.

Its probably a very good thing that gridders.net is blocked at my work.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    InitialDK wrote: »
    I've been playing the Japanese version of Mario Picross. Excellent game.
    I've known about Picross before I knew Sudoku but I don't think I would've been able to understand Picross if I didn't play so much sudoku. Definately my new favorite puzzle addiction.

Man, remember the sudoku solver programming challenge? I wonder if we'd be able to do another one for a Picross solver ...

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    So as it's hard to find info on picross games here's this:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/dsrev/roundup3.htm

Which reviews a lot of (mostly japanese) puzzle games. Written by Rev Stu a veteran of uk reviewing - and huge puzzle fan.

He says this of the japanese version of Nintendo's Picross - which I figure is the one released here
    PICROSS DS (Nintendo)
    Unusually, given the company's long history of excellent Picross titles, Nintendo's own take on Picross on the DS is a ham-fisted effort. Absolutely swamped in Japanese menus (with the occasional inexplicable English "Level 1" or somesuch), it's a chore to find your way to any actual puzzles, and when you do you're forced to use a pointlessly complicated touchscreen-and-d-pad control system that makes the process of playing awkward and obstructive - it's almost impossible to concentrate on the puzzles because you're too busy thinking about the controls. Much worse than the basic control system, though, is the display layout. For puzzles larger than 10x10, you're forced to use a scrolling screen, also controlled unintuitively with the stylus, which is so mindbogglingly horrible and contrary to the entire principle of Picross (which is about cross-referencing information from the entire grid to make the logical deductions) that it effectively renders the larger grids unplayable. This is a dreadful mess, and it's hard to imagine what Nintendo were thinking of. 2/10

Oh no! :( - Hang on - just read the review you posted. I'm putting the 2/10 down to translation issues. This version looks much different - and much better! If it's £20 I'll pre-order (I set myself a budget now)

And give Essential Soduku this:
    ESSENTIAL SUDOKU (D3 Publisher)
    It's Sudoku! It's Picross! It's Sudoku and Picross! It's, er, Essential Sudoku. This is a weird and schizophrenic little release, which is just about the cheapest DS game you can buy in Her Majesty's Great Britain. (The RRP is £15, but you can pick it up from most online retailers for under a tenner). Despite the title, the cart's content is focussed equally on Sudoku and Picross puzzles (there are 1,000 of each), and the Picross element (or "Picture Puzzle" as it's called here) actually gets given precedence in the game itself. The Sudoku (or "Number Puzzle") half is hampered by some truly terrible handwriting recognition code which is utterly incapable of correctly identifying a "5" more than one time in 50 no matter how you draw it, but luckily you can enter numbers with the d-pad and "A" button instead and enjoy some perfectly adequate Sudoku antics.

The Picross puzzles are far more interesting, though. Uniquely among the DS' Picross titles, these are the more complex multi-colour type of nonograms, with slightly different rules (squares of different colours can be adjacent without a blank space in between, but consecutive blocks of the same colour still have to be separated). The need to select colours makes the interface rather more fiddly than in Illust Logic (the stylus isn't quite precise enough, and the d-pad/button controls could have been better thought out), and the front end is crudely minimalist but such minor quibbles are a small price to pay for such a huge collection of excellent Picrosses. In both games the puzzles are arranged into groups of 100, so you'll have to be stuck on 10 different puzzles before you're stymied, and there's a vast amount of head-scratching fun here for your money. In terms of hours of entertainment per pound, this is probably the best-value DS game ever released in the UK. 9/10

I like essential Soduku - but it's production values are so low its shocking.

He also mentions Slitherlink a puzzle game similar to picross
    It's beautifully constructed (save for an irritating and useless one-time tutorial that you should manage to bypass after some desperate random button-mashing), with an understated elegance that's surprisingly beautiful to behold - obviously, it doesn't look much in static screenshots - as the little rainbow that signifies an unbroken line glides its way around the grid reassuringly. Beyond the tutorial the Japanese text presents no obstacle whatsoever, and there are both stylus and (superior) d-pad controls, along with a convenient array of tools (like dotted lines for bits you're not yet 100% sure about). It'll take you scores of hours, maybe hundreds, to exhaust the 270 puzzles supplied, longer yet to get perfect ratings on all of them and collect all the stars, and even when you've beaten the entire thing you'll have long forgotten how you did the earlier puzzles, so you can just delete your save game and start again. And for sheer time-evaporating pleasure, accompanied by an effectively infinite lifespan (and because unlike Magnetica it doesn't come perilously close to undoing all its good work with fucking blowing-into-the-mic levels), Slither Link deserves a perfect score. Not only the best DS puzzle game, but arguably the best DS game full stop. Glorious. 10/10

- and convinced eurogamer to review it - and give their first ever 10/10 too. Worth looking into especially with the play-asia sale.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I never played picross before, and now I'm hooked, dammit. I'm stuck on 6, though, the first five were pretty easy. 6 doesn't have any '15' or '0' rows, oh noes!

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    I never played picross before, and now I'm hooked, dammit. I'm stuck on 6, though, the first five were pretty easy. 6 doesn't have any '15' or '0' rows, oh noes!
    A tip (don't click if you absolutely NEED to figure it out on your own) :
    Since the grid is 15x15, you can fill in at least half for anything over 10. For example, a row of 10 will always take up the middle block. A row of 11 will always take up the middle block and at least one on either side, and so forth.

That can help get you started on number 6.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Looking into griddlers.net at the moment.

This could well be amazing.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »
    A tip (don't click if you absolutely NEED to figure it out on your own) :
    Since the grid is 15x15, you can fill in at least half for anything over 10. For example, a row of 10 will always take up the middle block. A row of 11 will always take up the middle block and at least one on either side, and so forth.

That can help get you started on number 6.

I actually just figured that out and was coming here to post it. Thanks though, for the help. I skipped on to 7, and it just dawned on me, I'm going back to 6 now.

EDIT:
    You can actually do this for any number above 8. 9 will have to involve the middle 3 squares, 8 the middle square.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm tempted to record myself solving #6 just to show off some of the advanced techniques. It makes really good use of them.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I checked out griddlers, but the interface was really bad compared to the Flash one in the OP.

As for slitherlink: http://www.vgreality.com/alphaex/flashloader.php?f=flash/slither_demo_v13c.swf&w=430&h=510&n=Slither%20Link

Firebrand on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    I checked out griddlers, but the interface was really bad compared to the Flash one in the OP.

As for slitherlink: http://www.vgreality.com/alphaex/flashloader.php?f=flash/slither_demo_v13c.swf&w=430&h=510&n=Slither%20Link

Yes. It was Java-pain-tastic. But in principle it's pretty good.

I should update the OP when I have a moment. This thread seems to have a bit more staying power than I expected. And now theirs the new Nintendo DS Picross gaming coming out as well that seems very exciting. Wi-fi? wow.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once we get a [Game on] thread for it we'll learn to recognize wangs by number combinations.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wii post olol
    Anyhow, I got started on a fun little programming project this afternoon... Sudoku for the Wii browser. http://mpierce.pie2k.com/wii_sudoku.php ... No real features yet but it'll give you an idea for how I wanted to do the remote interface. In the end it'll probably work like Brain Age with 3 strikes and it's game over.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Wii posting as well.com Thats brilliantly done. how long did it take you?

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't understand this in the slightest.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    Wii posting as well.com Thats brilliantly done. how long did it take you?

lol

Only took an afternoon to get it to its current state... once I got home and was able to test on a Wii I realized I had to fix some CSS, but beyond that it was working fine.

It probably won't take more than another few hours of work to complete, but out of respect for my girlfriend I don't program on the weekends.

To be done:

* clean up the design a little
    * add 3-strikes-and-game-over logic (half done ... the javascript can solve the puzzle on load and detect a wrong answer ... just need to have it track how many you got wrong)
    * write a routine to generate puzzles. This might turn out being pretty hard to generate a puzzle in a timely fashion.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god guys, Griddlers has pulled me in. Despite the java issues I can't stop playing there. Send help.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving the Picross mode on Essential Sudoku as well, even though the touch screen input can be somehwat inaccurate at times which is annoying but not unmanageable.

I am thoroughly less impressed with the actual Sudoku mode though, no mater what I do it keeps interpreting a 5 as an 8 so I can never actually even finish a level! So I'll stick with Brain Age for Sudoku and just play Picross on ES.

Tingle on
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    Oh no! :( - Hang on - just read the review you posted. I'm putting the 2/10 down to translation issues. This version looks much different - and much better! If it's £20 I'll pre-order (I set myself a budget now)

Picross DS is super awesome. I've been playing it for a few months, because I love picross. The problems the guy mentions are valid though - the japanese menus are difficult to navigate/understand until you just remember which option does which mode, also the touch-screen control option is just awful. On larger puzzles it zooms in where you click, despite that you can see the entire grid when it starts, and you have to hold down different directions on the d-pad in order to select whether you want to fill in a space or put down an x. However! Using the other control method (d-pad and buttons) is much easier and doesn't have zooming around so you can't see one side of the puzzle when you're working on the other. English menus will make this a superb title. I'm already through most of the puzzles on the Japanese version so I'm pumped about the Euro release.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I botched Puzzle 8 right near the end, anybody want to spoiler post an image of it completed so I don't have to start over?

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fuck you OP for making this my new obsession and "wasting" countless hours of mine.

And by "Fuck you" I mean Thank you.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think I botched Puzzle 8 right near the end, anybody want to spoiler post an image of it completed so I don't have to start over?

It's not like we were keeping a catalog of images of solutions. You don't want to start over, but for one of us to get an image of the solution, we have to start over. :P
    150.png

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just found out you could click and drag to change multiple squares. That susre makes things faster.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doing one puzzle a day or so, I've finally reached #24.
    puzzle24.png

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Upon beating those 32 puzzles, I ordered picross DS. Can't wait.

I think it has something like 350 puzzles, plus downloadable ones. Should keep me occupied for a while.

GimeC on