As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Mutant Ninjas: TMNT

homo wolfushomo wolfus Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, how about those turtles? They sure do have half-shells.

tmnt_01.jpg

I went along last night with high expectations, perhaps too high considering that second trailer made it look like a piece of junk.

But I loved it. I loved it as much as my soul would allow.

Some highlights?
- Raph and Leo arguing, then fighting on the rooftop. Definately my favourite scene.
- The Nightwatcher. And his endless supply of chain.
- Splinter's voice acting. Seriously. So fucking good.
- Splinter's trophy wall with the mouser head.

Some gripes, perhaps?
- Not enough battle sequences showing Don and Mikey in action.
- Casey wasn't nearly as bad-ass as I remember him.
- Karai and the Foot seem to be a complete non-threat.

Some turtle images?
raphleobattle.jpg
Best scene of my life?

whatthefuckhaveidone.jpg
Raph's all like, "What the fuck am I doing?"

turtle.jpg
You, turtle, are ugly.

leatherback_turtle_hatching.jpg
Man, turtle, you are hatching so good!

I really liked the last scene too.
Don_Robin.jpg
Who would've thought the Boy Wonder would make an appearance?

Anyway, how'd you guys like it?
I would coax your opinions with the promise of free snacks, but I'm pretty hard-up at the moment...

homo wolfus on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will see it soon enough.
    They nerf'd Casey? That's BS.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Funny, I was about to make a TMNT thread.

I can't wait for this. Really, I'm pumped.

So, I guess the reviews are pretty bad-- is that because the reviewers didn't grow up on the cartoon, as I did? They make it sound like every other awful CGI movie, but you seem rather positive. Who should I trust?

Also, is it only good for nostalgic fans, or is it a good movie in its own right? I'm thinking of taking a friend of mine who didn't watch the show back in the day.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going tomorrow. My hopes are high.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to see it.

I pretty much have to.

I still have an original issue #17 somewhere.

TRICERITONS, man.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    small_rotten.gif24% TMNT

But I remain hopeful. It's not like I'm expecting the greatest piece of cinema ever...I'm expecting some fucking turtles who have mutated into ninjas.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would have a lot more hope for this movie if I hadn't seen the 100-man fight scene with the shitty rap music in the background where you can hardly tell what's happening at all.

Also, if April weren't a ninja for no discernible reason.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So April really is a Ninja?

I was hoping the toys were lying.

Ah well.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That makes this movie sound ten times more awesome. I think it'll be great fun, even if it's not really a great movie.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    You are all going to be disappointed. The only reason I can tell the OP liked the movie is because he grew up on the cartoon. Wow, I did too. This still looks like complete shit. I'm not surprised that it's getting terrible reviews, and I won't be seeing it. I don't want to ruin the memories of something that made my childhood awesome.
    There's no way nostalgia is going to save this thing.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Aren't we just a shining beacon of optimism and hope?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the upside, the GBA game is getting good reviews.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Aren't we just a shining beacon of optimism and hope?
    Maybe if it didn't look like ass, I'd be more inclined to think it wouldn't be ass. Go and waste your money though, it's not like I'm paying for your ticket. Just remember that I warned you when you scratch out your eyes.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would have a lot more hope for this movie if I hadn't seen the 100-man fight scene with the shitty rap music in the background where you can hardly tell what's happening at all.

Didn't she get training in the comics/newer cartoon, since she kept getting attacked?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So, I guess the reviews are pretty bad-- is that because the reviewers didn't grow up on the cartoon, as I did? They make it sound like every other awful CGI movie, but you seem rather positive. Who should I trust?

Also, is it only good for nostalgic fans, or is it a good movie in its own right? I'm thinking of taking a friend of mine who didn't watch the show back in the day.

Honestly, it's probably not such a great movie as far as movies go. But Tax is spot on. It's the Ninja fucking Turtles. There are some genuinely shit-awesome scenes, but also plenty cringe-worthy moments.
    The movie's target audience are children, so it can't escape the trappings of a G-rating.

Turtles fans will love it, but your friend probably won't.

Let me reiterate: The new TMNT movie fucking rocks. It pays homage to the old cartoon, the old movies, and updates the story really well.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    At least her hair is better than in the old cartoon.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the upside, the GBA game is getting good reviews.
    Turtles in Time all over again. And the new cartoon, from what I've seen, is pretty neat.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do they go with the old "The foot don't actually die" route, or does Leo actually get to use his blades?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Do they go with the old "The foot don't actually die" route, or does Leo actually get to use his blades?

They're all robots. Duh.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I also wish to know this.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Do you really want to know...?
    Leo and Raph get their shit out and use them, but there are no Foot soldiers getting cut down. The fights are choreographed very well, and as such, you don't notice there is a distinct lack of blood and limbs.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Do you really want to know...?
    Leo and Raph get their shit out and use them, but there are no Foot soldiers getting cut down. The fights are choreographed very well, and as such, you don't notice there is a distinct lack of blood and limbs.
    That's better than nothing, I guess. Although if they went the "realistic" route, there would be lots of blood, shattered limbs,etc, which I don't really want to see in my Ninja Turtles.

Do the foot stay down, or disappear once they are cut down?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Do the foot stay down, or disappear once they are cut down?

I don't want to spoiler too much, but..
    There's only one real fight with the Foot. They're not the main enemy, although it's strongly hinted at the end that they will be in the sequel. So in this one big fight with the Foot, the direction is really dynamic. The 'camera' is always moving from Don to Raph to April to Casey etc. So you see the Foot get knocked down, and the 'camera' moves on. I guess it's implied they stay down.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, that's enough. Thanks.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will be seeing this ASAP.
    The entire movie could be shit, but I just need to finally see Leo and Raph go at it. It's been long enough!

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    As a piece of film design, the movie is first-rate; on sheer aesthetics alone, it rivals Triumph of the Will for astonishments.

Stephen Hunter
    Washington Post

Godwin'd

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    wait what
    Aesthetically, it looks terrible

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aesthetics will always be in the realm of subjectivity, but I thought the movie was superbly animated. The turtles themselves are incredibly detailed, right down to the tiny wrinkles around their.. snouts? Action is handled really well too. They convey the stealth and speed of the turtles perfectly.

In my opinion, there was nothing ugly about this game. Even the whole 'lol splinter chester cheetah' jokes are unfounded.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In my opinion, there was nothing ugly about this game. Even the whole 'lol splinter chester cheetah' jokes are unfounded.
    Oh come now, he does look like chester cheetah.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If Chester Cheetah looks like a robed ninjitsu-trained rat then, yeah, I guess you're right.

EDIT: cheezysplinter2ih9.jpg

Yeah, maybe I'm in denial.

homo wolfus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    very very much so
    and that picture is awesome

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    wait what

See, now you're really just digging for things to bitch about. I'll concede that Splinter and the humans look kind of so-so, but everything else has a pretty awesome style.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    wait what

See, now you're really just digging for things to bitch about. I'll concede that Splinter and the humans look kind of so-so, but everything else has a pretty awesome style.

And everything is animated pretty well from what I've seen. That's important.

Personally I'm looking forward to the next project from this studio even more:

Remember Battle of the Planets and G-Force?

Gatchaman_Movie_Photo.jpg

So basically a CGI PG-13 movie with bird-themed ninjas beating the shit out of people.

Imagin sure does love the 80's.

Furu on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw it last week and it was pretty awesome. It's not quite as gritty as the movie was, but it plays very nicely. The plot line is stupid but the underlaying story of the film plays out really well so you don't really mind. Yes Don and Mikey don't get enough screen time, but honestly Raph vs Leo ftw! And aesthetically it looks very nice imo.

Rook on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm taking my daughter to see this tonight. Should be fun. She doesn't know a damn thing about the ninja turtles, aside from having seen the trailer and said "I wanna see ninja turtle movie!"

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don is still the best, right?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My friend saw it the other day. He said it was totally fucking awesome.

I really should see it.
    I wonder how it will do at the box office.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to have to find someone to drag to this. I was debating holding out for the DVD but I MUST see the Leo vs. Raph fight on the big screen. Personally I think the turtles look really well animated, even if I have no love for Splinter or the humans.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. I was a big TMNT fan when I was a kid.

On the other hand, I don't think I'll have the guts to ask someone to come see a Ninja Turtles movie with me. So I guess I'll be seeing it alone.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. I was a big TMNT fan when I was a kid.

On the other hand, I don't think I'll have the guts to ask someone to come see a Ninja Turtles movie with me. So I guess I'll be seeing it alone.

This is the advantage of having a child. I can go see it with her, and no one will suspect how much *I* want to see it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don is still the best, right?

Uh, duh.

And Kusu... what? Just, what?

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg