As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rock Band]: 4 has been announced! Out this year!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    Got it tonight. Had predownloaded some of my DLC so I was able to play some familiar tunes to see how I like the new guitar. So far I like the new guitar. I cannot say the same for the new guitar solos. They can go away anytime now. Just let me play the damned song don't make me customize it or remix it or whatever.

Yeah, luckily you can turn it off

Freestyle solos are dogshit

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    It's there, but it's not obvious. Slide left to the list of "recommended addons" that they always try to upsell with, and scroll down to the bottom of that list and there is a "Show All" button.
    That's what I would've thought, but on the Swiss Playststion Store it only shows three unrelated games as recommendations, and the addon option doesn't show up. I can find individual songs by looking for their names, but they don't seem to be associated with RB4 (as yet) and don't show up in relation to it. Here's hoping they fix this soon.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I had some friends over and we played the game as long as we could before running into quiet hours at my apartment complex.

I'm missing a lot of songs I had in RB3. I can't play my beloved ION drums anymore. I don't give a fuck. The game is still fucking rock band and I award it a score of rock band/10, the highest praise I can give any console game.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yay!

Amazon refunded me and I was able to order the right version for delivery on Thursday

Unfortunately I forgot to try and talk them into tossing me a PS4 preorder code :(

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is there any kind of general time frame for the RB1-2 exports, or is just "eventually"?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I understand all of the complaints and I share a few of them, like why aren't the disc exports working and why does my created character look like ass.

But damnit, this game makes me happy like no other game. And, assuming that even some of the problems get fixed, it is just going to get better.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having the DLC issue I am?
    Pack ownership just doesn't work right now.
    Spent all day excited to play this

Pick it up, get home and open up the box to find Amazon sent me the Xbox One version.

So I head to Amazon to see why

Apparently the store switched my order to the Xbox One version at some point during the order because I checked the page three times to make absolutely sure I was ordering for PS4

God. Damnit.
    Do it come with the Xbox Adapter? Because that thing is totally sold out everywhere as far as I can tell, my Amazon order is stuck in "uhhh, we'll let you know?"

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    It's a tiny feature and I've heard literally no one mention it, but I love the new countdown you get during gaps in your instrument's part in the song. I'm glad they were able to retrofit that to old songs, even if they weren't able to do that for stuff like freestyle vocals.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    playing on the One... how about that notification location? There should be a cheevo for maintaining your combo while a notification is blocking out 100% of the area of the screen where anything matters.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    playing on the One... how about that notification location? There should be a cheevo for maintaining your combo while a notification is blocking out 100% of the area of the screen where anything matters.
    Yea. My wife and I were just doing vocals last night while I had a ton of DLC queued up and I commented about it being a good thing the adapter hadn't arrived yet cause I wouldn't be able to see anything on guitar. Shouldn't be as big of a problem once the bulk of the songs are out as I already have the notifications for friends online/offline turned off and achievements don't pop until the end of the song.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    UPS dropped off my copy with about 10 minutes to spare in the delivery window, so I only had a little bit of time to play it last night. It's the old familiar fun so far, except I can't seem to figure out the calibration for the microphone. Guitar self-calibrated just fine, and I was able to play through a handful of songs on hard guitar (boy am I rusty!). The vocals didn't seem to want to play nice last night, though, so I was stuck rushing every note by about a half-beat to allow the mic to place my voice in the right spot. I'll have to go back and try to figure out manual calibration when I have more time tonight.

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I'm glad they were able to retrofit that to old songs, even if they weren't able to do that for stuff like freestyle vocals.
    Well, they did do it for freestyle vocals... but only on songs that have guitar solos, and therefore also freestyle guitar. I assume this was a cost/benefit analysis on the difficulty of charting chords for these songs when they didn't have to do it anyway for the guitar.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    I'm glad they were able to retrofit that to old songs, even if they weren't able to do that for stuff like freestyle vocals.
    Well, they did do it for freestyle vocals... but only on songs that have guitar solos, and therefore also freestyle guitar. I assume this was a cost/benefit analysis on the difficulty of charting chords for these songs when they didn't have to do it anyway for the guitar.

Huh, must have just been the songs I was playing last night then. Thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Really loving that this is going to be a thing again, and I can't wait to get the band back together this weekend.

The guitar solos are a really cool and fun idea, but I can't help but feel like it's not one to one enough to make it feel very good. Playing the regular parts of songs doesn't feel off, so I don't think it's a calibration problem.

My Beatles guitar wouldn't self-calibrate. Is that not supposed to work with those guitars? On PS4.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    I'm on drums and after both auto and manual calibration things are still spongy. Will try again tonight but I can't play this game as is :(

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I have three (3) legacy guitars from RB1, RB2 and RB-Beatles. None of them would do the calibration thing. I'm tempted to go buy a game+guitar package and return the base game just so I have a revamped guitar with all the whistles and bells.

Having said that, we played as a duo here from about 8PM until just after midnight getting to the 4th stage of the storyline. I used to be able to play guitar on "Hard" level, but three years of never picking up a plastic instrument has made my hands old and creaky. Dropping down to medium was still pretty difficult. I ended the evening on Easy and was having a much better time of it. The wife felt the same. She drums, and started on Medium Pro and after a handful of songs was back down to Easy Regular.

I'm really impressed with the backwards compatibility. Our RB-Beatles drumkit with RB2 cymbals worked flawlessly - I played a song or two on Easy Pro to (ahem) "test" compatibility. Both the Hoffner Bass and the old RB1 guitar still work just fine.

I don't get what the hate is for the freestyle solos. As a fake guitarist, I found them super fun to play and actually quite challenging. The "make it up as you go along" fingering and hearing notes that kinda-sorta fit in to the song as a whole, makes it "feel" like you're actually a bad-ass guitarist! Maybe people who have actual skill don't like them? I dunno. I suspect more people will enjoy them than not.

For a laugh I checked the trophies for the game. I was surprised that the "Complete the Campaign on Expert" was more commonly acquired then "Complete the game on Hard". Apparently there are more "Expert" players than "Hard" ones! I also found it interesting that the completion rate on some of the super easy trophies - for example, the one you get for calibrating the game - was so low. It makes me think that the playerbase is pretty divided between "Expert" level players and facerollers that can barely figure out how to strum the guitar....

Still having issues with the Dead Kennedys Pack 01 and about a dozen other individual tracks, but overall this has been a good purchase.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Word of warning, if you're on PS4 and are planning on using the Guitar Hero: World Tour guitar as your controller, numerous people (me included) have been unable to get the dongle to work with the PS4. GT:WT drums work as do the mic, but not necessarily the guitar dongle.
    I have a PS3 GH:WT guitar and a PS2:GH Les Paul(?). Both "work" but neither can kick off overdrive via tilting. The timing also feels wonky but I can't decide if it's rust, calibration issues, or other. I ran the calibration ~5 times and while the video lag was consistent the audio was all over the place. But again that could be something I'm doing wrong.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    There are a couple of songgs (Runnin Down a Dream comes to mind) where I can play the whole song perfectly but the end solo is impossible to play... really looking forward to freestyle solo on those, while being able to play the charted ones when I want as well.

Guitar still at home! By the time I get back, adapters for the Fender will be available too I bet.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Have any European PS4 users been able to download any of the legacy DLC as described by Harmonix' instructions?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Word of warning, if you're on PS4 and are planning on using the Guitar Hero: World Tour guitar as your controller, numerous people (me included) have been unable to get the dongle to work with the PS4. GT:WT drums work as do the mic, but not necessarily the guitar dongle.
    I have a PS3 GH:WT guitar and a PS2:GH Les Paul(?). Both "work" but neither can kick off overdrive via tilting. The timing also feels wonky but I can't decide if it's rust, calibration issues, or other. I ran the calibration ~5 times and while the video lag was consistent the audio was all over the place. But again that could be something I'm doing wrong.

Wait, PS2 guitar? And I see the compatibility chart has that as "in testing." How? They have a PS2 controller port

• Options

Wait, PS2 guitar? And I see the compatibility chart has that as "in testing." How? They have a PS2 controller port
    I picked up an adapter years ago. Something like ...
    4-29-08-ps3ps3.jpg

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
    i'm so bummed out I can't just pick up the digital version and plug in the usb xplorer guitars from guitar hero 2

fucking xbox

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    i'm so bummed out I can't just pick up the digital version and plug in the usb xplorer guitars from guitar hero 2

fucking xbox
    Just got notice from Amazon that the adapter I ordered will show up on Monday. Yay.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    if only that adapter worked with the x-plorers

so mad

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aww. Is it confirmed not to work? I figured they just wouldn't bother testing it cause it's so old. Still the best toy guitar.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I really don't like the new UI it feels so soulless. Also I hope they plan to update the character creator because it's lame.

• Options

4-29-08-ps3ps3.jpg
    Does that work for you? I plugged in my PS2 TAC Bass and it was not recognized. Admittedly this was at midnight and I'd had quite a lot of tequila by then so it might have been user error. :biggrin:

26904.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Aww. Is it confirmed not to work? I figured they just wouldn't bother testing it cause it's so old. Still the best toy guitar.

None of the old wired USB stuff works on xbox one except for USB microphones. Pretty much because Microsoft regards them all as unlicensed peripherals and refuses to support them.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    Does that work for you? I plugged in my PS2 TAC Bass and it was not recognized. Admittedly this was at midnight and I'd had quite a lot of tequila by then so it might have been user error. :biggrin:

I think the compat chart states that none of the mad catz bass guitars work for PS4

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

fucking xbox

know that feel bro, I swapped out the strum bar for 3 arcade pushbuttons on my xplorer when it got broken and used it as my 'bass' for years. Only now realizing how much I hated the rockband frets and strumbar now that I have to use one. Thinking I might do the same mod to my beatles RB guitar and maybe swap out the fret buttons with mx yellows if it doesn't look like too hairy a change.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options

4-29-08-ps3ps3.jpg
    Only tested with the Les Paul but yes*

*see problems listed in the nested post

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having the DLC issue I am?
    Pack ownership just doesn't work right now.
    Spent all day excited to play this

Pick it up, get home and open up the box to find Amazon sent me the Xbox One version.

So I head to Amazon to see why

Apparently the store switched my order to the Xbox One version at some point during the order because I checked the page three times to make absolutely sure I was ordering for PS4

God. Damnit.
    Do it come with the Xbox Adapter? Because that thing is totally sold out everywhere as far as I can tell, my Amazon order is stuck in "uhhh, we'll let you know?"

Not sure, didn't bother unpacking the whole thing once I realized it was the Xbox One version

• Options
    The thread title needs to be changed!

• Options
    @Arikado we summon thee!

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    I see people are having issues with some DLC packs. How about individual songs? I bought three back on Tuesday and was able to immediately download two, but one just says Purchased and won't let me 'click' it to install it.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I can't download the following DLC songs (on PS4):
    • Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
    • Blink 182 - Dammit
    • GLaDOS - Still Alive
    • Journey - Don't Stop Believing
    • Lights Resolve - Dreaming of Love
    • Miranda Cosgrove - Headphones On
    • Paramore - Crushcrushcrush
    • Rush - 2112
    • Rush - Subdivisions
    • Steven and the Colberts - Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)
    • System of a Down - Toxicity
    • The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian
    • The Knack - My Sharona
    They show up on the store as "Purchased" and pressing the download button causes the store to lock up. I suspect corrupted data on Sony's side. 13 11 bad tracks out of the 198 I "own" is an acceptable failure rate considering the enormity of the overall task, IMO.

EDIT: Was able to get Still Alive and My Sharona today. Walk Like an Egyptian is still broken for me.

EDIT2: The Dead Kennedys Pack 01 is also broken in the same way for me.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I thought all Journey songs were pulled.

• Options
    The singles doing that for me are all from that list, with the addition of Take Me Out, so at least it's happening for all

Except I was able to get My Sharona and Walk Like an Egyptian

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm having issues with Take On Me, Take Me Out, and The Stroke as well as the first Queen pack. I was able to get Still Alive, though.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Kryhs wrote: »
    I see people are having issues with some DLC packs. How about individual songs? I bought three back on Tuesday and was able to immediately download two, but one just says Purchased and won't let me 'click' it to install it.

I have issues with both packs and individual songs. I know the Pat Benatar pack shows up as purchased, but clicking it gets me an error message rather than a screen where I can download the pack. Off the top of my head I have the same issue with 1901 by Phoenix and 21st Century Digital Boy by Bad Religion. There are other individual songs with the same issue that I can't recall right now.

I also have an issue with a large number of packs that just show a flashing "..." where the price/Purchased/In Library indicator should be. All of these bring up an error message upon selection.

As of last night, I am at least 300 songs short of my normal total. I'd have to boot up RB3 on the PS3 to check what my total should be though, it may be more like 400+ songs short. Some of those are from disc exports (I had RB1/2/3 and Lego RB), but that still leaves a large number of missing songs.

On a somewhat different note, I'm seeing a frequent issue where songs that are part of packs I own do not show up as purchased when browsing by song. Instead they just show the $1.99 price like any other unpurchased DLC song, and allow me to purchase them as normal. Except that when I do, and the download screen is finally visible, the download option is greyed out and exiting back to the browse list now shows the song as "In Library" as it should. I threw away $5.97 rebuying songs I thought I didn't own while very tired before I decided to call it a night lest it happen again.

Auto-calibration with the new guitar that came in my full band pack was significantly off. I had to calibrate manually to actually be able to play.

Throw in all the removed features and lack of customization options, and this really feels like a lackluster release from Harmonix. I'll need to play it more, but for now I'm regretting pre-ordering a full band pack. I wanted/needed new instruments, but right now I actually wonder whether I would have been better off shelling out for an unopened RB3 pack on eBay or craigslist, and I never would have expected to feel even a little bit like that based on Harmonix's past history.