As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire Emblem Fates: Shipping Spreadsheet Edition

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    bxj2amghrd0d.jpg
    78ua17cyxnw1.jpg

I caved and here's the weird thing

I don't even feel bad

Hey good choice on Theatrhythm, aka the best Final Fantasy in about a decade.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    bxj2amghrd0d.jpg
    78ua17cyxnw1.jpg

I don't even feel bad

I want to argue, but I can't.

Theatrhythm's real good.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Buy me a copy, BFL

I... I'm only kinda joking, sadly

If I were able to wait in the line, I absolutely would

But unfortunately, I have something I can't skip this afternoon, so I can't do it

It's a real shame. Charles Martinet, the voice of Waluigi, is there.

He's also the voice of Mario, but that's not as important.

Yeah and I mean I wouldn't expect you to wait in line for me anyway, haha

I'll probably just get a physical copy when it's cheaper. Which, given Nintendo's prediliction for keeping prices high, probably means not for a while (or ever).

Moriveth on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, I like the whole feudal Japan aspect of Birthright....

But Conquest has a Gaston/Cap America expy with a
    Mexican wrestler son.

Decisions, decisions...

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    bxj2amghrd0d.jpg
    78ua17cyxnw1.jpg

I don't even feel bad

I've wanted it for a good long time and finding it here for so cheap was the tipping point

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I found a Best Buy that received not 1, not 2, but 3 copies of the special edition

Two of which they had already sold.

And the third?

Grabbed by some clever person who had the forethought to place a hold on it online.

Bet you're all jealous of that guy, huh?

Anyway, I bought Conquest because I'm not that guy

• Options
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man that first Conquest mission is a looloo

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    New decision. Hit up a Target on the way home.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man. Takumi is such a tool. I always tend to hate that character archetype though.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I was going to go to EB to pick up a copy after the gym today, but spontaneously decided to go beforehand instead, half an hour after the store opened

I got there just as the guy was selling a lady the second-to-last copy of Birthright. I interrupted to go YOU HAVE ONE MORE RIGHT? RIGHT?? Exactly as two more women walked into the shop

I bought the last unreserved copy. This was the most women I'd ever seen in a games store at once. It was a moment of triumph and tragedy, because they were *definitely* looking to each buy a different version and swap.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So I was going to go to EB to pick up a copy after the gym today, but spontaneously decided to go beforehand instead, half an hour after the store opened

I got there just as the guy was selling a lady the second-to-last copy of Birthright. I interrupted to go YOU HAVE ONE MORE RIGHT? RIGHT?? Exactly as two more women walked into the store

I bought the last unreserved copy. This was the most women I'd ever seen in a games store at once. It was a moment of triumph and tragedy, because they were *definitely* looking to each buy a different version and swap.

If it helps that wouldn't have worked

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    you just destroyed a friendship so you could marry an anime character

• Options

I got there just as the guy was selling a lady the second-to-last copy of Birthright. I interrupted to go YOU HAVE ONE MORE RIGHT? RIGHT?? Exactly as two more women walked into the store

Wait, what? I mean, my friend and I were planning on doing that. Is there some kind of New Game+?

Steam
  • Options

Wait, what? I mean, my friend and I were planning on doing that. Is there some kind of New Game+?

To get the stuff for doing both campaigns you have to purchase the second game as dlc within the first game. You can't have physical copies of both.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Thanks for making me feel bad about going back to Nohr, Ryoma.

Jerk.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

To get the stuff for doing both campaigns you have to purchase the second game as dlc within the first game. You can't have physical copies of both.

I mean

that's pretty minor stuff

• Options
    Oh no I think that Xander has replaced Chrom as the dreamiest lord for my wife

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    If that's any kind of interesting plot stuff that's unfortunate

If it's just like, items though? Naaaaaah, I'll take the savings, thank you

And look @Radius, the love that my future anime husbando and I are going to have is going to be real, and very much worth more than that friendship, I'm sure of it

Steam
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i have more VERSION questions

if you buy digital do you get to choose your path, or do you still have to choose it beforehand when you buy the game

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

if you buy digital do you get to choose your path, or do you still have to choose it beforehand when you buy the game

You have to buy a version upfront

You can't just download Fire Emblem Fates and then choose Birthright or Conquest at the split point, even though that's 100% what they should've done

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

That is horribly stupid. So much for the bonus for doing both, fuck you too whoever decided that!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That is horribly stupid. So much for the bonus for doing both, fuck you too whoever decided that!

I mean it saves you money, you get 1/2 price on the second game

the only time its bad is if you're going to swap carts with a friend

Its actually pretty great for most people

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

You can't just download Fire Emblem Fates and then choose Birthright or Conquest at the split point, even though that's 100% what they should've done

it is what they did in japan

I'm not sure why its different here

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Eh, each game is a full length fire emblem game with mechanics tailored to a different playstyle, and you get a discount for the other path.

I don't really have a problem with the split.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Eh, each game is a full length fire emblem game with mechanics tailored to a different playstyle, and you get a discount for the other path.

I don't really have a problem with the split.

I don't have a problem with the split

The first 6 chapters should be a free download and THEN you pick one to buy

The decision isn't a decision, instead it's "do you want to still pick the one you already paid for, or cough up another 20 bucks?"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    @Chincymcchilla Since you asked about pair up earlier I'll also describe where it's not helpful in ANY WAY

Description of the Conquest side of Chapter 6
    So this mission is tough in that the enemy units are about as strong as yours are, give or take, with your only advantage being that Ryoma will not attack anyone except for Xander if Xander is in his threat range

Camilla is strong but there are two units who are bow-users on Hoshido's side so she's really vulnerable. Takumi is paired up with Hanoka, and Hanoka leads, which makes them very good defensively, and they have the enemy unit advantage that they can spend units to take out mine hwile I don't want to do the same thing.

The first time I played the mission I dogpiled Hanoka with paired up units. I managed to take her down, but the end result there? When Hanoka went down, Takumi hit the ground running and one-shot Camilla, and I could only take him out afterward

This time I put Leo in range of the pairing, not in range of Hinoka's attacks but in range of Takumi's. Leo, being a promoted class who wields a bad-ass tome, was able to blast Takumi back way harder than he was initially attacked for, and that allowed me to follow up. I had Felicia get into melee range and drop all of his defenses using her dagger, and then crushed Takumi with another blast from Leo. That left Hinoka vulnerable, and I laid into her with Camilla's axe and then my avatar's dragonstone.

In short

There are definite advantages to both, no questions asked, but not being paired up definitely gives you more tactical options from moment to moment

The game is one mission into the hard path and it's already way more mechanically balanced and interesting than Awakening

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Oh my god...why can Ryoma dodge everything!?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Maybe they had a flood of support calls about changing which path you picked so they wanted to make it clearer that you only get to pick a path once without buying again. I've known publishers to do weirder things to reduce the amount of customer support work they have to do.

So I haven't even gotten to the story branch point yet and every mission except except the first 3 tutorial maps has forced 4 or 5 restarts before I managed to not lose anyone on the medium difficulty for "non-beginners." Maybe I should just turn off permadeath and accept that the maps are balanced such that you're expected to have a death every map on this difficulty. Hmrmrm.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

And look @Radius, the love that my future anime husbando and I are going to have is going to be real, and very much worth more than that friendship, I'm sure of it

PtqLA93.jpg

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Oh my god...why can Ryoma dodge everything!?

His special skill gives him a huge dodge boost on his turn!
    Hit that motherfucker with Freeze

It reduces his dodge by 20 for your turn and his next one, which means Xander can knock the piss out of him

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Maybe they had a flood of support calls about changing which path you picked so they wanted to make it clearer that you only get to pick a path once without buying again. I've known publishers to do weirder things to reduce the amount of customer support work they have to do.

So I haven't even gotten to the story branch point yet and every mission except except the first 3 tutorial maps has forced 4 or 5 restarts before I managed to not lose anyone on the medium difficulty for "non-beginners." Maybe I should just turn off permadeath and accept that the maps are balanced such that you're expected to have a death every map on this difficulty. Hmrmrm.

Play on Normal

Fates is already harder than Awakening just in the prologue

Just play on Normal

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

And look Radius, the love that my future anime husbando and I are going to have is going to be real, and very much worth more than that friendship, I'm sure of it

PtqLA93.jpg

please don't post pictures of me without my permission

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Amazon is telling me my copy is gonna get here Monday, but UPS is saying today?

Who should I trust in this scenario? UPS right, since they're the company actually doing the delivery?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    @Chincymcchilla Since you asked about pair up earlier I'll also describe where it's not helpful in ANY WAY

Description of the Conquest side of Chapter 6
    So this mission is tough in that the enemy units are about as strong as yours are, give or take, with your only advantage being that Ryoma will not attack anyone except for Xander if Xander is in his threat range

Camilla is strong but there are two units who are bow-users on Hoshido's side so she's really vulnerable. Takumi is paired up with Hanoka, and Hanoka leads, which makes them very good defensively, and they have the enemy unit advantage that they can spend units to take out mine hwile I don't want to do the same thing.

The first time I played the mission I dogpiled Hanoka with paired up units. I managed to take her down, but the end result there? When Hanoka went down, Takumi hit the ground running and one-shot Camilla, and I could only take him out afterward

This time I put Leo in range of the pairing, not in range of Hinoka's attacks but in range of Takumi's. Leo, being a promoted class who wields a bad-ass tome, was able to blast Takumi back way harder than he was initially attacked for, and that allowed me to follow up. I had Felicia get into melee range and drop all of his defenses using her dagger, and then crushed Takumi with another blast from Leo. That left Hinoka vulnerable, and I laid into her with Camilla's axe and then my avatar's dragonstone.

In short

There are definite advantages to both, no questions asked, but not being paired up definitely gives you more tactical options from moment to moment

The game is one mission into the hard path and it's already way more mechanically balanced and interesting than Awakening

Gotcha

The good news is with the pair up system how it is now, your XP stealer guy can be paired up with the butler to just make him better and he'll never steal a kill

Also, The butler is REALLY neat, I love his kit

• Options
    in the bad end of that game he convinces you not to date any of the girls and play dating sims instead

• Options
    I guess we are all in the bad end then.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Play on Normal

Fates is already harder than Awakening just in the prologue

Just play on Normal

I never played Awakening, just the GBA ones and the second one with Ike. I always heard Awakening was baby time easy compared to those, which only have normal and hard modes, so I assumed the second mode would be like those normal modes. If beginner mode is actually like older games' normal modes rather than Awakening baby difficulty then I'll go with that I guess.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    I guess we are all in the bad end then.

that's what is bad about it. the truth of the situation is crushing

This discussion has been closed.