As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    They had like four years between Lost World and Forces, and yet it still was a rush-job.

It’s not even close to ‘06 bad, but you can see Forces had potential and that’s heartbreaking.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Given what happened with Forces, damn skippy they'd better take their time with this one.

Knowing sonic team, they've budgeted 2 years for a project that needs 4, or they'll restart development a few times without pushing back the release date.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So hey, in Team Sonic Racing, you're supposed to somehow be able to pick your own team, but I haven't figured out how yet; it either gives me the character's normal team or they're randomly selected.

Anyone know what I might be missing here?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    So hey, in Team Sonic Racing, you're supposed to somehow be able to pick your own team, but I haven't figured out how yet; it either gives me the character's normal team or they're randomly selected.

Anyone know what I might be missing here?

As far as I know, you can't. I think it was a combination of a rumour and wishful thinking that started the whole "pick your teammates" thing.

And yes, it sucks, because I know that at any moment I could be lumbered with Omega, who always seems to be crap for me. Also the fact that multiplayer is the only time you can get Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naps1BR4KEE&t=0s
    Matt and Liam discover the wonder that is "MicroSonic".

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I think I missed it, the reference must be too subtle for me.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Matt & Liam's adventures through Sonic '06 have not faltered at all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSq52lyPvU&list=WL&index=498&t=0s
    Now in Shadow's campaign. Liam's devotion to Shadow is pretty endearing honestly.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I think it missed it, the reference must be too subtle for me.

It's from the Wizard. The power glove part

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They didn't license the Sonic theme, but they did get the theme from the old show

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Well, that tune is an old composition that existed way before the show did. The part there is the fast section of In the Hall of the Mountain King. They did use part of the Sonic Adventure theme though.

I wonder if that is the entire cameo or if they'll be in the whole episode? I miss the Sonic cartoons, and Jaleel White voicing him,

• Options
    It a whole episode

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    cw7jdzxim035.png

• Options
    edited July 2019
    BTW, apparently Sega is selling enamel pins of two characters from the IDW Sonic comics. Considering Sega pretty much ignored everything having to do with the Archie Sonic comics and that series' characters, this makes me curious if Sega has plans for them.

cgdjq112nuyg.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    BTW, apparently Sega is selling enamel pins of two characters from the IDW Sonic comics. Considering Sega pretty much ignored everything having to do with the Archie Sonic comics and that series' characters, this makes me curious if Sega has plans for them.

cgdjq112nuyg.jpg

Archie's stories and characters involving Sonic were categorically better than anything Sega came up with. There, I said it.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

cgdjq112nuyg.jpg

Archie's stories and characters involving Sonic were categorically better than anything Sega came up with. There, I said it.

Categorically? That's giving Ken Penders a lot of credit he does not deserve. Certainly the Mobius status quo is more interesting than whatever stupid and immediately discarded status quo Sega goes with.

• Options
    cw7jdzxim035.png

Out of morbid curiosity I had to check, and thank god it's not a Penders comic.

• Options
    edited July 2019

cgdjq112nuyg.jpg

Categorically? That's giving Ken Penders a lot of credit he does not deserve. Certainly the Mobius status quo is more interesting than whatever stupid and immediately discarded status quo Sega goes with.

While the entire history of Archie Sonic comics isn't great, I can give them props for keeping everything that happened during the entire run as canon, even the really stupid and creepy stuff.

Amy Rose at one point being a 13 year old stalker in an 18 year old body was about the creepiest fucking thing ever... but they stuck with it.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I wouldn't look too much into that pin collectors are just crazy like that and they like all obscure stuff

The sonic comics were neat but hardly anything amazing, I know there's a lot of nostalgia about them but TBH they don't hold up that well reading them as an adult.

• Options
    I wouldn't look too much into that pin collectors are just crazy like that and they like all obscure stuff

The sonic comics were neat but hardly anything amazing, I know there's a lot of nostalgia about them but TBH they don't hold up that well reading them as an adult.

Eh, that's kind of the point. They were comics for kids, they didn't need to be very good. But in the grand scheme of kid comics, I'd consider them above average, and they managed to do a few things that comics for a wiser audience have trouble getting right.

And, again... still beats the hell out of Sega's storylines.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

Eh, that's kind of the point. They were comics for kids, they didn't need to be very good. But in the grand scheme of kid comics, I'd consider them above average, and they managed to do a few things that comics for a wiser audience have trouble getting right.

Though the writing in practice is about what you can expect, they actually had some very adult concepts for a comic geared towards kids that I'm surprised Sega actually allowed. Probably the most memorable example for me was before the "super genesis wave"(the thing where they reset the universe... the first time) there was an arc where Dr. Robotnik was killed and then replaced by a version of himself from an alternate universe where Robotnik had killed that universe's Sonic and Sally(and their very young children because why not), and went to the prime universe to fill in the gap left by his prime self because he was bored of having no one else left to oppose him in his dimension.

• Options
    The IDW comic I read was horrendously boring. Archie got to that point too.

Sonic comics are bad

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I remember Knuckles and the Floating Island's history getting more convoluted than an X-Men continuity.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I remember Knuckles and the Floating Island's history getting more convoluted than an X-Men continuity.

Well hindsight is 20/20 and all but the guy behind most of that had a hard on for echidna people and should not have been allowed near a product for children

• Options

All comics are for kids, but lots of them are enjoyed by adults too. You keep saying they beat Segas stories but.. do they? I remember them being fairly overwrought and tbh, the art wavered between pretty cool to downright nightmare fuel. I would say it's definitely the kind of comic that Archie Comics loves to make, where the fans are passionate about it but nobody else cares. Like a whole lot of the characters introduced in the comics are just... Terrible.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

All comics are for kids, but lots of them are enjoyed by adults too. You keep saying they beat Segas stories but.. do they? I remember them being fairly overwrought and tbh, the art wavered between pretty cool to downright nightmare fuel. I would say it's definitely the kind of comic that Archie Comics loves to make, where the fans are passionate about it but nobody else cares. Like a whole lot of the characters introduced in the comics are just... Terrible.

There is a period which even fans of the comic refer to as "The Dark Ages," which more or less lines up with what you speak of. It gets better later.

A Tumblr blog called Thanks, Ken Penders is in that period now. Even I, someone who was there at the start and at the end (and read IDW's now) skipped out on a good bit of this period.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Note: your first sentence is completely wrong. Please do not give various Image comics to children (Preacher, Walking Dead, Saga, etc.)

• Options
    I hate to break it to you, but 12 year old me read all sorts of comics I wasn't supposed to

• Options
    edited July 2019

Well hindsight is 20/20 and all but the guy behind most of that had a hard on for echidna people and should not have been allowed near a product for children

It was less this and more that Knuckles and Angel Island were much less fleshed out than anything else when Penders joined. He elaborated on Knuckles' backstory and Angel Island because they were blank slates he could use for his own ideas.

Penders is also infamous for using a Sonic and Image comics crossover special to showcase two characters of his own from an Image comic called The Lost Ones that only lasted a single issue.

They apparently got way better after Penders left and Ian Flynn took over. Unfortunately, that wasn't until after over 150 issues of comics.

Basically, the comics started around the same time as both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic SatAm (the more serious cartoon) and took a few details from both sources while primarily being a comic full of puns and nonsense for the first twenty or so issues. After Sonic SatAm was canceled and Ken Penders joined the comics started including more serious stories in an effort to become a quasi-continuation of Sonic SatAm. However, there were still writers submitting goofy stories full of puns. This continued all the way up to the multi-part Endgame story arc (written by Ken Penders) which involved Sonic being framed for the attempted murder of Princess Sally and Robotnik preparing to destroy all his enemies with the Ultimate Annihilator device. The storyline ended with the original Dr. Robotnik permanently destroyed, and following Endgame the goofy stories almost entirely disappeared from the comic.

This eventually led to things getting too serious. It also didn't help that for a while they couldn't afford quality artists and the editor at the time was pushing for a love triangle between Sonic, Princess Sally and a new character named Mina Mongoose. Eventually Sega took notice and stepped in to impose several new guidelines, including that Sonic cannot have a girlfriend (this also led way down the road to Sally hooking up with her female-coded super computer Nicole).

The comics began to course correct after Penders left and Ian Flynn was brought on. Unfortunately, Penders not only sued for the rights to the characters he had created (partially because the BioWare Sonic RPG was heavily inspired by Pender's work for the comic) but actually won, meaning that the comic had to reboot. Things went well afterwards until another former writer decided he wanted to copy Penders and sue for the rights to his own characters, too, but Sega had had enough by that point, pulled the Sonic license from Archie, and gave it to IDW (who then hired Ian Flynn for the new series).

As for Penders, he plans to make his own comic featuring Knuckles the Echidna's daughter but mostly spends his time hating on Ian Flynn and saying if IDW hired him he'd do a better job.

Plus he recently said he had wanted to do a storyline for the Archie comics where Princess Sally lost her virginity to a character of his named Geoffrey St. Jon, despite the fact that Sally was 15 and Geoffrey was 20.

Seriously:

z9egynbu56kd.png

The majority of the replies are "yo dude what the fuck".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I hate to break it to you, but 12 year old me read all sorts of comics I wasn't supposed to

Some of the first I ever read was Heavy Metal as hand-me-downs from my older Sister.

I was. . . perhaps. . . maybe a little too young for those. But for young Axen they were mind blowing.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

It was less this and more that Knuckles and Angel Island were much less fleshed out than anything else when Penders joined. He elaborated on Knuckles' backstory and Angel Island because they were blank slates he could use for his own ideas.

Penders is also infamous for using a Sonic and Image comics crossover special to showcase two characters of his own from an Image comic called The Lost Ones that only lasted a single issue.

They apparently got way better after Penders left and Ian Flynn took over. Unfortunately, that wasn't until after over 150 issues of comics.

Basically, the comics started around the same time as both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic SatAm (the more serious cartoon) and took a few details from both sources while primarily being a comic full of puns and nonsense for the first twenty or so issues. After Sonic SatAm was canceled and Ken Penders joined the comics started including more serious stories in an effort to become a quasi-continuation of Sonic SatAm. However, there were still writers submitting goofy stories full of puns. This continued all the way up to the multi-part Endgame story arc (written by Ken Penders) which involved Sonic being framed for the attempted murder of Princess Sally and Robotnik preparing to destroy all his enemies with the Ultimate Annihilator device. The storyline ended with the original Dr. Robotnik permanently destroyed, and following Endgame the goofy stories almost entirely disappeared from the comic.

This eventually led to things getting too serious. It also didn't help that for a while they couldn't afford quality artists and the editor at the time was pushing for a love triangle between Sonic, Princess Sally and a new character named Mina Mongoose. Eventually Sega took notice and stepped in to impose several new guidelines, including that Sonic cannot have a girlfriend (this also led way down the road to Sally hooking up with her female-coded super computer Nicole).

The comics began to course correct after Penders left and Ian Flynn was brought on. Unfortunately, Penders not only sued for the rights to the characters he had created but actually won, meaning that the comic had to reboot. Things went well afterwards until another former writer decided he wanted to copy Penders and sue for the rights to his own characters, too, but Sega had had enough by that point, pulled the Sonic license from Archie, and gave it to IDW (who then hired Ian Flynn for the new series).

As for Penders, he plans to make his own comic featuring Knuckles the Echidna's daughter but mostly spends his time hating on Ian Flynn and saying if IDW hired him he'd do a better job.

Google Ken Penders' work after Archie. It contains some of the flat out ugliest comic art I have EVER seen, holy shit.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    8ediyg98rrlp.png
    About the only credit I can give Penders is that at least the comics started having a fucking story once he came around and weren't just completely filled with lame puns.

The Archie comics went out with a pretty awesome crossover, btw:

w0ggusi4i9b3.jpeg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Really would not recommend letting a kid read Saga or TWD.

Some heavy shit in there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Things went well afterwards until another former writer decided he wanted to copy Penders and sue for the rights to his own characters, too, but Sega had had enough by that point, pulled the Sonic license from Archie, and gave it to IDW (who then hired Ian Flynn for the new series).

Ooooooh, that's why the Sonic Archie series suddenly ended for no apparent reason.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Things went well afterwards until another former writer decided he wanted to copy Penders and sue for the rights to his own characters, too, but Sega had had enough by that point, pulled the Sonic license from Archie, and gave it to IDW (who then hired Ian Flynn for the new series).

Ooooooh, that's why the Sonic Archie series suddenly ended for no apparent reason.

That and Archie in general wasn't doing well financially. The Mega Man comic went on "hiatus" around the same time.

• Options
    Ian Flynn is cool, right?

I remember liking his stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Ian Flynn is cool, right?

I remember liking his stuff.

Oh yeah, Ian Flynn is great.

He was lead writer on the Mega Man comic, and despite not knowing much about Mega Man when he started he ended up taking a lot of the concepts implied by the games and explored them to a greater degree than they ever had been in an official product. He also only introduced new characters when doing so would help explore those concepts.

For example, Proto Man's backstory is that he ran away because he was afraid of being reprogrammed. The comics therefore introduced a new character who actually had lived through Proto Man's worst fear.

To be fair, though, Ian Flynn started working on Sonic and Mega Man comics decades after those franchises started, whereas Penders and the early Archie Sonic writers were there at the beginning when everything was pretty much a blank slate.

The Archie Sonic comics actually published a letter from a young Ian Flynn back around 2001 where he criticized a then-recent issue (BTW, while I never had a letter published in the comic, I did have my name included in a "thanks for writing" feature back during the earlier days of the comic).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

The comics began to course correct after Penders left and Ian Flynn was brought on. Unfortunately, Penders not only sued for the rights to the characters he had created (partially because the BioWare Sonic RPG was heavily inspired by Pender's work for the comic) but actually won, meaning that the comic had to reboot. Things went well afterwards until another former writer decided he wanted to copy Penders and sue for the rights to his own characters, too, but Sega had had enough by that point, pulled the Sonic license from Archie, and gave it to IDW (who then hired Ian Flynn for the new series).

Plus he recently said he had wanted to do a storyline for the Archie comics where Princess Sally lost her virginity to a character of his named Geoffrey St. Jon, despite the fact that Sally was 15 and Geoffrey was 20.

Seriously:

z9egynbu56kd.png

Ahhh, I remember Geoffrey St. Jon. Specifically I remember him being such an outright Chad even back then, I believe he was one of the rare people Tails just straight punched in the face.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Seriously:

z9egynbu56kd.png

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Classics; Lord of the Rings, Journey to the West, Le Morte d'Arthur, Sonic the Hedgehog.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
This discussion has been closed.