As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dare I ask why its snowing on a palm tree....?

Also Amy DLC wen

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Also Amy DLC wen

Climate change.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Love that medley of CD music <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If they add Amy to Sonic Mania I will be so happy.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    That animation is precious. I love it.

• Options
    Sonic Mania is like $7 on the steam sale now if you've been living under a rock and didn't already snap up the humble bundle.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Any mods to make the double dip on pc worth it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Any mods to make the double dip on pc worth it

It looks like modders have cracked the game wide open. With the PC version you can play any of these timeless modding classics:

Exciting original stages
    5a3d30e61c630.jpg

More challenging boss fights
    5a94650914abe.jpg

& Knuckles
    5a19a8fb72cde.jpg

There's probably also some good stuff, I dunno.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The only good thing I've seen is new or ported levels, like the "almost remastered" Sonic 1. Everything else looks cosmetic.

Edit: actually wouldn't be surprised if 95% of this was ripping data from the Christian Whitehead Sonic 1. Mania engine is the evolution of what started there.

https://youtu.be/dwAivTjlipc

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Also Amy DLC wen

Climate change.

Or Angel Island has a flight path that carries it across different climates, "borrowing" the snow from another locale.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LpXoO7DwA

If the movie were thematically like Lumpy's movie Sonic then I'd be all in on it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'm confident he is going to be the best part of the movie by far.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised Sega keeps going back to Lost World considering its meh sales and mixed-at-best reviews, but hey.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Zavok is apparently really popular.

No idea why.

Edit- Oh on closer inspection hes basically a less reptilian Bowser . odd

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kind of surprised Sega keeps going back to Lost World considering its meh sales and mixed-at-best reviews, but hey.

Every Sonic game is somebody's on-ramp to the series. So, everything you hate about Sonic? To someone else? That's what Sonic is.

• Options
    I like to think of '06 and Rise of Lyric more as off-ramps

• Options
    I can take or leave Zavok, but I'm digging Eggman's ride, as well as what I can see of Metal's.

The Zavok thing does raise an interesting question (two, if you count "why would he work with Eggman?"): If not him or one of the other Zeti, then who?

Infinite is out; apparently they feel Forces is "too dark" or somesuch as to be mixed up in a game like this, hence no Forces avatars (to my disappointment).

Shadow is a good guy and on another team, besides. Chaos is a good guy now, too, and likely wouldn't ally with Eggman.

Eggman Nega seems to be on the outs, as Sonic Team doesn't seem to know or care what to do with him after effectively creating two clashing versions of the character.

And unfortunately, most of the franchise's other colorful villains -- Nack/Fang, Bean, Bark, the other robot Sonics, the Hardboiled Heavies -- are all from the Classic universe.

That effectively just leaves Captain Whisker and Johnny from Sonic Rush Adventure, and I'm not sure they really trump the more recent Zeti in any meaningful way.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That picture is the first I've seen of him, he looks like that pokemon in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    If you’re going to try to copy Mario kart do it right and stop weighing yourself down with “does this make sense”.

I have no idea who Zavok is (and I played Forces!), but I would be all over driving around as the robot monkey enemy that is in every sonic and everyone recognizes. Give me any Badnik. Driller guy or that wasp or heck make a fish bowl top and let me be the phiranna.

Have fun with it!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    If you’re going to try to copy Mario kart do it right and stop weighing yourself down with “does this make sense”.

I have no idea who Zavok is (and I played Forces!), but I would be all over driving around as the robot monkey enemy that is in every sonic and everyone recognizes. Give me any Badnik. Driller guy or that wasp or heck make a fish bowl top and let me be the phiranna.

Have fun with it!

Moto Bug. It is its own vehicle.

(Heavy Rider and Jimmy from Mania would also be acceptable.)

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm super late to the party. But Sonic Mania is pretty good. I finally played it during the holidays and man...I think it might be even better than Sonic Generations when it comes to mining my nostalgia.

Guys, since I'm needing a Sonic fix, which should I attempt first? & Knuckles or Sonic CD?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

Have fun with it!

Moto Bug. It is its own vehicle.

(Heavy Rider and Jimmy from Mania would also be acceptable.)

I'd be totally down with that, but I'm guessing that Sumo couldn't do that on account of Sonic Team's say-so, because Classic universe is a thing now.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I'm super late to the party. But Sonic Mania is pretty good. I finally played it during the holidays and man...I think it might be even better than Sonic Generations when it comes to mining my nostalgia.

Guys, since I'm needing a Sonic fix, which should I attempt first? & Knuckles or Sonic CD?

Surely you’ve played at least one of these before?

• Options
    edited January 2019

I'm assuming you've played both before. The Steam version of Sonic CD was programmed by Christian Whitehead, who later co-developed Sonic Mania(among others). As a result it has a lot of neat extras added to it like the ability to play as Tails after you beat the game once, sharpness filters, the ability to swap between the JP and US soundtracks(which are entirely different), and the ability to change between the Megadrive and Sonic CD versions of Sonic's spin dash ability(both are different in both appearance and physics).

Donnicton on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Both are great for different reasons. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is much closer to what Mania did -- zip through the course as fast as you can to get to the exit.

Sonic CD is a little different. You're still zipping through the course, but the course encourages you to backtrack and move back and forward in time in order to break some targets in the past and secure a good future.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles has more Blue Spheres, or rather the exact same Blue Spheres as Mania, so having not played CD I can only assume it's better if only for this reason alone.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    CD first because it didn't age as well. There is a lot of annoying bounce-you-backwards gimmicks to slow you down through the shortish levels, which are only padded by time travel and weak bosses. It was hard for me to notice at the time with all the cool new CD tech, but retrospectively 3K remains the more tight, fun, and epic game.

I'll take those UFO stages over blue spheres though. Its probably my favorite special stage actually.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    nope. I was a SNES kid. I've played Sonic 1, 2, 3, Generations, Colors and Mania so far this past year. I have Knuckles and CD in front of me due to various Steam Sales.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

Start with Sonic CD (I recommend playing with the US soundtrack if you have the option - a wholly unique vibe for Sonic), then finish strong with S3&K, the best game in the series.

You really can’t go wrong with either.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    CD first because it didn't age as well. There is a lot of annoying bounce-you-backwards gimmicks to slow you down through the shortish levels, which are only padded by time travel and weak bosses. It was hard for me to notice at the time with all the cool new CD tech, but retrospectively 3K remains the more tight, fun, and epic game.

I'll take those UFO stages over blue spheres though. Its probably my favorite special stage actually.

I only recently played CD and without the benefit of nostalgia it felt awful. 3 & Knuckles still holds up and remains one of the best games in the series, so I'd honestly suggest skipping CD entirely and just going straight to the good stuff.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The concept of Sonic CD is a lot cooler than the execution. The time travel thing wasn't ever explained all that well.

It does have excellent music and visual design tho

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Sonic CD encourages exploration for the Time Warp posts to create a better future. Just keeping constant momentum of 88 mph is a hassle.

But hearing the good future soundtrack(JP) is worth it.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    CD is probably more about the aesthetics to me. I love the sights and sounds, and it has my favorite special stages in the entire franchise, bar none (sorry, Mania, but you come closest).

I don't find its sense of exploration and back and forth too problematic, since I never really go for full completion. My only beef as a result is if I want to time travel and it fails at the last second.

Unrelated, but on-topic:

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i actually got my start with sonic on game gear/master system before getting a mega drive on xmas '91

this will always be my true green hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWlO1qm0cPs

• Options
    Don't you mean the True Sonic CD theme?

https://youtu.be/i3cFn6NneHA

• Options
    I feel like there should be some kind of punishment for defacing cultural content like that.

• Options
    lol ok just finished up a Dishonored DLC playthru so looks like I'm diving into Sonic CD then.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The first time I heard that song, I heard "toot-toot" as "super" since "Super Sonic Warrior" makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.