As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2 Multiplayer] GO POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

2370682-heartoftheswarmboxart.jpg

You've arrived at the official Penny Arcade StarCraft 2 discussion page. Here we discuss everything from the game, the races, balance issues, tournaments, and the culture (K-Pop, etc). Be warned, this thread moves quickly, especially when live events are happening.

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm releases in North America on March 12th, 2013. While the video above has some out of date units, the campaign stuff should still be valid. The game is currently in Beta testing and you can acquire a key by pre-purchasing the game from participating game stores.

How to play with PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join the group Penny Arcade (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

Where can I watch some good tournaments and streams?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    So am I not allowed to discuss invading Canada in the new thread? I'm never quite sure of proper new thread etiquette.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    We should invade Canada

and by we I mean Australia

• Options
    Then it's decided. We invade at dawn. Which is like 1PM for me. See you then.

On an SC2 related note, the following image made me so happy I wet myself a little.

gPBwyYV.png

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    GUYS I GOT THE JOB IN KOREA!!!!
    I think I'll have a much more flexible schedule, less of a commute, occasional free weekends and daytimes, and be in a timezone that will actually allow me to play games with y'all again! Not to mention, I might get the possibility to see the GSL live :D
    Oh my god I am so excited :) Time to start learning Korean!

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    narwhal wrote: »
    I think I'll have a much more flexible schedule, less of a commute, occasional free weekends and daytimes, and be in a timezone that will actually allow me to play games with y'all again! Not to mention, I might get the possibility to see the GSL live :D

That is so awesome Narwhal. Congrats! It'll be great to have you at Friday Night customs again if you're able. It's been so awkward talking about penises without any women around. :P

• Options
    The timezone is right between Seguer and I so customs night is mid morning til around noonish

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    yeah, when I don't have weekend shifts with the girls, I promise I won't be tutoring and will in fact have mornings free maybe every other Saturday :D
    woooooo

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    gonna have a hard time modding for day9 though!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    oh how i've missed marine/tank vs marine tank tvt.

this is a sick game

go marineking!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    this is one of the best demonstrations of how to play mech vs bio TvT I've ever seen

and it's marineking doing it!

wooooooooo!

• Options
    well, until the last few minutes i suppose. bio vs mech can turn around so quickly.

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    well, until the last few minutes i suppose. bio vs mech can turn around so quickly.

Did it look pretty good until the bio army got destroyed without the mech army losing anything? That's how I always remember that matchup going. :)

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    narwhal wrote: »

Awesome stuff Narwhal! gl hf!! :D

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Did it look pretty good until the bio army got destroyed without the mech army losing anything? That's how I always remember that matchup going. :)

i thought i was saying marineking was doing the mech well

until it turned around

anyway thats what was happening

• Options
    ah ok, sorry. I have a fever, not really with it. :S

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    If we're going to abandon a decade of PA forum clan tag tradition, we should instead use PASC.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Neutral depots on ramps in WoL now. I'm curious as to how that is going to affect the way zergs play. I can see it making them more likely to hatch first all the time, but I find that WAY easier to take advantage of anyway.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Neutral depots on ramps in WoL now. I'm curious as to how that is going to affect the way zergs play. I can see it making them more likely to hatch first all the time, but I find that WAY easier to take advantage of anyway.

Not at all nowadays, other than the (lack of a) ramp drone if you feeling paranoid before.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I hatch first 98% of the time

and then pool at like 17

have no clue if it's economically superior but meh, makes me feel like I'm living on the edge

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    15 hatch > 17 pool > queens > hatch is the most economic you can open. The faster queens out larvae double hatch before pool.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I noticed some pros cutting their 2nd queen short to take an even faster third hatch (response to a terran/toss FE).

I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea.

Higher drone count is important, but more important is an even saturation spread (having 16 workers on 16 patches is a LOT more efficient than 16 workers on 8 patches).

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    I thought you didn't run into diminishing returns until you passed 2 per patch.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Mining_Minerals#Optimizing_Mineral_Harvesting

The graph starts to curve right around 15-16 workers.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I think part of the problem is that your drones aren't all perfectly on 2 patches at the start of the game, even if you only have 16 workers on 8 patches.

Once a single drone redirects itself because the patch it wanted was occupied too long, it'll go to another patch and throw another drone off, etc. etc. This can keep cascading for some time.

Unless you're perfectly forcing the drone stack the entire time until full synchronicity is reached. This is almost impossible past a low number of workers (you have to scout, look at mini map, move overlords around, etc.).

They all eventually synchronize but it takes a while.

I should clarify that the super fast third isn't so you can have 24 patches available so quick, but it helps. I haven't done it yet, just seen pros doing it and it feels like an improvement, to delay the 2nd queen and go for the faster third hatch.

I'll have to see if the faster third can make up for the larva to allow the first queen to spread creep after the first or 2nd inject.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Oh and yeah Jaedong is live.

www.twitch.tv/egjd

Do not operate heavy machinery while watching this stream.

and put down any sharp objects
    strap yourself in

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Hatcheries produce 1 larvae per 15s, which is the same rate that a queen does (3 larvae per 45s), but stop producing once you pass 3 idle larvae unlike queens who stop at 19 idle larvae. Since queens cost half as much less, build twice as fast, and have a higher larvae cap, you'll always get more larvae for your money out of an injecting queen than an additional hatchery.

Thirds do have other benefits besides mining though, which might be what they're after, like a forward position to spread creep from or a speed bump against an allin.

In the end I guess it's all a moot point. HotS is out soon and most of the time you'll be forced to mine gas on 2 bases *gasp*, either because there's reapers around, or a widow mine at your third, or hellbats in your mineral line.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    A fast third feels better with a pool first opening, in my experience. Also I've never been comfortable with a super fast 3rd vs terran so I just tech and drone hard and end up taking normalish 3rd vs a terran FE

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    OP should probably be updated to take advantage of the Penny Arcade group.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Summary of filling up the vs. AI meters in WoL.

bx3QR5h.jpg

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    32 apm

so GOSU that he doesn't even have to tell his units what to do

they just do

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Ok that's it, I'm officially not playing this game until I move to somewhere with a passable internet connection. Playing with lag is just too aggravating.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »
    OP should probably be updated to take advantage of the Penny Arcade group.

Good point. @MNCDover, can you add this info? The name of the group is Penny Arcade. Space included.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yilias wrote: »
    Hatcheries produce 1 larvae per 15s, which is the same rate that a queen does (3 larvae per 45s), but stop producing once you pass 3 idle larvae unlike queens who stop at 19 idle larvae. Since queens cost half as much less, build twice as fast, and have a higher larvae cap, you'll always get more larvae for your money out of an injecting queen than an additional hatchery.

Thirds do have other benefits besides mining though, which might be what they're after, like a forward position to spread creep from or a speed bump against an allin.

In the end I guess it's all a moot point. HotS is out soon and most of the time you'll be forced to mine gas on 2 bases *gasp*, either because there's reapers around, or a widow mine at your third, or hellbats in your mineral line.

Queens produce 4 larvae per inject.

edit: Unless they changed that while I wasn't paying attention or something.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    getting queens out too early can be unnecessary too (depending on what else you're making), as you might not be able to use all them larvae

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    I wonder, if I listened to Minecraft music while playing SC, if my sim city's would be the most beautiful creations on Shakuras.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Jaedong has really poor army control.

He also seems to hate hive tech, preferring instead to send his hydras into a storm meatgrinder.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    me:
    also, Jaedong's streaming, if you wanted to get sea sick

John:
    ^^
    i wish he was doing better
    but he is on EG
    -_-

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Jaedong has really poor army control.

He's zerg, what do you expect?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Just realized I'm going to be in Orlando for HotS launch

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I think TLO tries to move too fast for himself too.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    We only have 1.5 weeks left of Beta, right?

:(

l4lGvOw.png

wra