As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Back to the boring old thread title of [Weight Loss & Fitness]

• MacallanMacallan Registered User regular
    Verdict is in, pork chop marinade was awesome. Gotta swing by the store after work and get more protein and lettuce though, I'm out again.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    based on the avatar, my first guess is anything that isn't bacon

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I had a small gluten free pizza the other week and it was delicious!

If I'm getting pizza again I'd definitely go with that.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Things I don't eat: grains, vegetable oils, sugar, legumes, dairy, processed things. The most processed foods I eat are probably bacon, coconut oil, and canned coconut milk.

Focusing on eating nutritionally dense foods (meats, vegetables, fruits). I want to be as healthy as I can be. I initially did it because I wanted to see if I could reduce my body fat %, and found out my body is a LOT happier not eating those things. I ended up gaining weight as a result, but look much better now than I did before.
    Walt wrote: »
    mully wrote: »
    what kind of stuff are you eliminating? do you mind if i ask why?

You refer to the "mogs no-no list":
    scroll_a.jpg

This...pretty much.

• mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    ahhh cool @mogs
    i was just wondering because i did the elimination diet before (no grains, soy, corn, sugar, oil, dairy, red meat, the list goes on) to check for allergies
    was wondering if it was that

what does a typical day of food look like for you, mogs?

take a look at some of the With Out Wheat (WOW) Cookies online.. some of them may actually fit into your list..... ..err aside the butter and eggs. darn. STILL.

mully on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Hrm, quiona is kind of bleh on it's own, though I'm not 100% sure I made it right, either. I'll just freeze it and use it as a side dish for chicken later.

• mullymully Registered User regular
    quinoa is great as spaghetti

also brown rice noodles are very good

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »
    This...pretty much.
    Such holy wisdom requires extreme discipline that is fo' sho'.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Yeah I'll mix it with chicken and some seasonings. It's not BAD, just.. blandish and for some reason I'm not loving it.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also speaking of no dairy

i should probably avoid dairy more often

it never used to be, but these days, if i eat a lot of cheese and other dairy

fart city

poo
    Walt wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »
    This...pretty much.
    Such holy wisdom requires extreme discipline that is fo' sho'.

It takes so much discipline to start my day with eggs and bacon. I suffer through it though.

• ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    It would take an unreasonable amount of discipline for me to wake up early enough to make eggs and bacon on work mornings.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Yeah I'll mix it with chicken and some seasonings. It's not BAD, just.. blandish and for some reason I'm not loving it.

It's hella bland on its own, it needs salt at least to be good. But when it's good, oh man.

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    i hate easter time, the cadbury mini eggs that i love so very much are everywhere and i can't resist it!!

M.D. on
    It would take an unreasonable amount of discipline for me to wake up early enough to make eggs and bacon on work mornings.

I chop up some bacon slices, toss them in a pan until they're crispy, then crack the eggs in and make a scramble out of it. It takes less than 10 minutes and tastes amazing.

frying eggs takes like no time at all

poo
    edited February 2013
    I was mostly thinking about egg-related cleanup (also being phenomenally lazy in the mornings) but I did just reseason my cast iron so it should be much better with eggs now

Reciprocity on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    While still at home, I scramble up some eggs (put in diced vegetables if you want). Takes a few minutes for them to cook depending on how runny you like/dislike your eggs. I microwave uncured bacon at work (about 3 minutes for two slices).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    I was mostly thinking about egg-related cleanup (also being phenomenally lazy in the mornings) but I did just reseason my cast iron so it should be much better with eggs now

cast iron makes it super easy

since the eggs aint gonna stick if you straight fry em and then you just wipe off the pan

my pans a lil' messed up so scrambling sometimes causes sticking, but just straight frying over easy none at all

poo
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    know what's awesome?

Having an asian veggie/food store right near work.

want a salad? Just walk down the street, grab a hadnful of lettuce and some other veggies, pay a ridiculously cheap amount of money, and profit.

yum yum yum.

• GonzoGonzo Newcastle, UKRegistered User regular
    Hi all

After a bit of advice, following putting on a bit too much weight after the birth of my daughter I finally got round to dieting and working out again this year. So far it has been going well, lost around 12lbs and improved my lifts and general fitness pretty well. I have been going to the gym 3 times a week and have been restricting my diet to as clean a food as possible (which was the biggest challenge given I used to get a takeaway about 3 - 4 times a week)

The problem I'm having is I'm getting bored of the dinners I have been taking to work, I have 2 whole wheat wraps filled with sliced beef, with English mustard and some form plant life (usually spinach) which I have 1 at 11am and the other at around 2pm. Can anyone suggest anything different preferably that can be prepared the night before. Aiming for around the 600 - 700 cal mark.

On a separate note on the subject of dead lifts, I'm getting to a point where I have to switch to mixed grip, is there any need to mix up which is out facing or does it not really make a difference?

And lastly, any tips or exercises that will improve my chin up, at the minute I can manage about 3 - 4

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Gonzo wrote: »
    Hi all

On a separate note on the subject of dead lifts, I'm getting to a point where I have to switch to mixed grip, is there any need to mix up which is out facing or does it not really make a difference?

And lastly, any tips or exercises that will improve my chin up, at the minute I can manage about 3 - 4

You want the stronger hand with the palm facing you and the weaker hand with the palm facing out.

Negatives, jumping up into the top of a chin up position and lowering yourself slowly, will make you better at chin ups. Also, losing weight.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hi all

After a bit of advice, following putting on a bit too much weight after the birth of my daughter I finally got round to dieting and working out again this year. So far it has been going well, lost around 12lbs and improved my lifts and general fitness pretty well. I have been going to the gym 3 times a week and have been restricting my diet to as clean a food as possible (which was the biggest challenge given I used to get a takeaway about 3 - 4 times a week)

The problem I'm having is I'm getting bored of the dinners I have been taking to work, I have 2 whole wheat wraps filled with sliced beef, with English mustard and some form plant life (usually spinach) which I have 1 at 11am and the other at around 2pm. Can anyone suggest anything different preferably that can be prepared the night before. Aiming for around the 600 - 700 cal mark.

I like making a big stir fry once a week or so with chicken, mixed vegetables, and rice. Nice and filling, pretty healthy. I don't have an exact calorie count, but I would guess that it's under 700 per bowl-sized serving. And of course you make enough so that you've got leftovers for a day or two.

godmode on
    I've been making similar lunches for the past few months and have found a few different wrap combinations that have worked really well:

Steak salad (roast beef, spinach/lettuce, cherry tomatoes, bit of vinaigrette)
    California club (turkey breast, bacon, spinach/lettuce, avocado, sprouts, tomato)
    Caprese (this one was a bit extravagant: prosciutto, lettuce/spinach, fresh basil, tomato)
    Burritoesque (lettuce/spinach, black beans, chorizo, queso fresco, avocado, radish slices)
    Chicken salad (lettuce/spinach, chicken salad, grapes, tomato)

I kinda rotate through one per week. You can adjust the proportions to get the right calories.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    It's funny on mix grip for deadlifts I have my strong hand palm out and my left hand overhand.

Just feels weird getting set up any other way now.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    In a totally arbitrary sense, I might have worked myself into "the best shape of my life."

So its all downhill from here.

I actually have, like, cuts on my arms. And like, a 2.5 pack.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's funny on mix grip for deadlifts I have my strong hand palm out and my left hand overhand.

Just feels weird getting set up any other way now.

I actually end up switching it around a bit. For the heavier weights I find that if I put my weak hand palm out, I don't have to pick up and drop as often. But then my hand cramps and I switch it around for a bit and I'm just fine doing that.

maybe i'm just weird.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @Gonzo welcome to the weight loss thread!

I just made a pearl barley risotto that I imagine fits your bill. I made it Sunday night and it's been great leftovers since, and if you omit the feta cheese it is pretty dang healthy. I'll do a calorie count on it when I get home from work today just to be sure. But if that is of interest I'll give you the recipe!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Man just post that shit up! I am close to finishing my normal risotto method and want to try something different.

My normal risotto method is entirely unhealthy.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    gimem gimem gimme gimme gimme!!!!

I'm allowed carbs after workouts and i'm getting tired of rice.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    day 2 done! (well, a fit test and day 1) I remember how painful this was now! my heart hasn't beat like this in months! I regret everything!

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Shit, I forgot to weigh myself before lunch. Guess there's always tomorrow.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VJMD6U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i typically don't rave about a product but this thing is pretty great

its two downsides:

1) it's quite baggy (fits me perfectly and i am a fatty so on someone fit i imagine they'll swim... but it's not fashion clothing so meh)
    2) it is relatively thin and provides almost no protection against sharp wind. you definitely need an underlayer.

that said, it wicks really well, it is incredibly warm when there's no wind (it's 40f here and i just walked to the store wearing nothing but a thin undershirt under it... was sweating), and it's <25 bucks in a variety of colors, prime eligible

just thought i'd recommend for any outdoor-exercise people in hurr

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Barley risotto with marinated feta from Jerusalem which is seriously such a good cookbook oh man

1 c/200 g pearl barley
    2 tbsp/30 g unsalted butter
    5 tbsp/90 ml olive oil
    2 sm celery stalks, cut into 1/4" or .5cm dice
    2 sm shallots, cut into 1/4" / .5 cm dice
    4 cloves garlic, cut into 1/16" or 2mm dice
    4 thyme sprigs
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1 bay leaf
    4 strips lemon peel
    1/4 tsp chile flakes
    one 14 oz/400g can chopped tomatoes
    scant 3 cups/700 ml vegetable stock
    1 1/4 cups/300ml passata (sieved crushed tomatoes)
    1 tbsp caraway seeds
    10 1/2 oz/300 g feta cheese, broken into roughly 3/4" or 2 cm pieces
    1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
    salt

Notations and alterations: I doubled this recipe (the recipe serves four as it currently stands) and also used dried thyme, regular paprika, dried oregano and chicken stock, and for the tomatoes I used canned peeled whole which I hand-crushed and sieved.  The liquid boiled down before the barley was fully cooked so you may need to add broth or V8.  It also took about fifteen minutes longer than listed to be done.

Rinse the pearl barley well under cold water and leave to drain.

Melt the butter and 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a very large frying pan and cook the celery, shallots, and garlic over gentle heat for five minutes, until soft.  Add the barley, thyme, paprika, bay leaf, lemon peel, chile flakes, tomatoes, stock, passata, and salt.  Stir to combine.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure the risotto does not catch on teh bottom of the pan.  When ready, the barley should be tender and most of the liquid absorbed.

Meanwhile, toast the caraway seeds in a dry pan for a couple of minutes.  Then lightly crush them so that some whole seeds remain.  Add them to the feta with the remaining 4 tbsp/ 60 ml olive oil and gently mix to combine.

Once the risotto is ready, check the seasoning and then divide it among four shallow bowls.  Top each with the marinated feta, including the oil, and a sprinkling of oregano leaves. Or do what I did and just mix dried in with the caraway.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I too have an amazing feta cheese recipe, the ingredients are:
    feta cheese
    ritz crackers
    shame

But I'm definitely trying that one!

edited February 2013
    Man why the shame

My dad sometimes makes plates of Ritz crackers with cream cheese and sliced green olives and they're delicious

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There may be no greater culinary combination than green olives and cream cheese.

the shame sets in after you've destroyed the second sleeve of ritz crackers and haven't slowed down

Peen wrote: »
    There may be no greater culinary combination than green olives and cream cheese.

cream cheese, green olives, and smoked salmon. or capers if you don't have olives.

It sounds like I should be buying this Jerusalem cookbook......

• GonzoGonzo Newcastle, UKRegistered User regular
    Cheers for the food idea's everyone. The California club wrap and the risotto sound awesome.

On a related note to my earlier post, I had a small triumph this morning at the gym in that I managed to get an extra chin up in on each of my sets so managed 3x5 which is a vast improvement given when I started back in January I barely managed 1.

This discussion has been closed.