As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb: video games, comic books, and other misogyny

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    is the wii u really doing all that bad?

God yes

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed

The January numbers were awful

None of the other consoles ever had such a weak month in their entire run

Not even the PS3

-Tal
    edited February 2013
    Nintendo is doomed
    It won't be clear til the first party big hitters drop, but right now it is a massive underseller

Langly on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sony is doomed
    Melding wrote: »
    I picked this option as a joke and now I see people legit upset about the sony thing

for fuck's sake can we go one press conference or game event without someone yelling how it's a waste of time? they're all fucking wastes of time by their very nature, why do you even still watch them

people are mad about everything all the time.

Personally, i'm excited. come, be excited with me.

I'm kind of excited, a lot of it sounds neat! I mean, I don't like the dualshock, but whatever, I have a PS3 so it's not like I can't adjust

I want to see Microsoft's stuff and I want to know more about the PS4 but I'm excited for new stuff

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    ok so the real question of the day is: does the 3DS download while the lid is closed or what

it says "close the system to resume download" but I've had it closed for like 4 hours and Fire Emblem hasn't budged from 9%

it should

the wireless is supposed to stay active while the system is closed and in sleep mode

try restarting the download

there it goes

I guess I had to make sure the e-shop was closed and not just suspended

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

The wii who?

BOOOOM

DichotomyEtchwarts
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    Like I get loving Nintendo and they are a really great company who makes some of my favorite games, but there is a point where you're just ignoring facts.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    The Betgirla5ehren
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Why are they using gddr5 as their system memory? That makes a whole lot of no sense. Also all this 8 gig stuff is so dumb, what are they going to do, run 5 games at a time? I gotta believe that tech specs sheet is a load of shit.

GDDR5 runs faster than DDR3.

8 gb seems perfect to help future proof the machine
    Yes but gddr5 is memory used in graphics cards, hence the G. So it's puzzling to have them use it as system memory instead.

And UV I'm not complaining I'm just questioning the necessity of 8 gigs of ram, for anything.

They call it GDDR5 because it was designed for graphics cards, but it's not like it can only be used for them. It's just faster memory.

And 8 gigs of memory is going to seem as outdated as 1 gb seems now at the end of the PS4 cycle.

That is a bold statement.

6 to 7 years from now? I absolutely think so.

Langlya5ehrenSimBen
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    Melding wrote: »
    I picked this option as a joke and now I see people legit upset about the sony thing

for fuck's sake can we go one press conference or game event without someone yelling how it's a waste of time? they're all fucking wastes of time by their very nature, why do you even still watch them

people are mad about everything all the time.

Personally, i'm excited. come, be excited with me.

I'm kind of excited, a lot of it sounds neat! I mean, I don't like the dualshock, but whatever, I have a PS3 so it's not like I can't adjust

I want to see Microsoft's stuff and I want to know more about the PS4 but I'm excited for new stuff

they changed the controller. longer grips, concave stricks, look pretty slick.

but yeah, i'm really excited for microsoft's show. whenever that is.

they're going to have to do one now right? are we going to get a sony lead year or is microsoft going to do like a huge info dump at e3 to "win" the show?

MrDapper wrote: »
    Like I get loving Nintendo and they are a really great company who makes some of my favorite games, but there is a point where you're just ignoring facts.

Let's make no mistake though. It still isn't "doomed"

Nintendo took the Apple route and kept most of its earnings from the Wii liquid. They can last a long time, even on the failure of the Wii U.

HunteraMs DapperEtchwartsgtrmp
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    can I just say that I love that ryan davis and jhonen vasquez are twitter buddies

because I do

august
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sony is doomed
    the ps2 outsold the 360 for basically the first year the 360 was out, possibly longer.

The economic landscape is p. different than back then.

I don't really find the wii u's slow sales and the 360's stable ones surprising.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    How is Jhonen Vasquez in person?

'cause I hate everything he's ever actually produced

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    fwiw, I seem to remember having 2GB in my PC when the 360 launched and doubting its paltry 512MB

the PS4 has as much RAM as my decently specced
    PC does right now and it's faster gddr5 to boot, not to mention it's OS probably has a smaller memory footprint than Windows

I think 8GB will serve these consoles well

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Microsoft is doomed
    MrDapper wrote: »

Let's make no mistake though. It still isn't "doomed"

Nintendo took the Apple route and kept most of its earnings from the Wii liquid. They can last a long time, even on the failure of the Wii U.

Of course, I'm sure they will continue to make good games for a good while, but I have trouble believing it will be the most popular console of this generation.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Sony is doomed
    I still see it as a scrooge mcduck-esque pool full of ram.

sirtoons.png
    Nintendo is doomed
    Why are they using gddr5 as their system memory? That makes a whole lot of no sense. Also all this 8 gig stuff is so dumb, what are they going to do, run 5 games at a time? I gotta believe that tech specs sheet is a load of shit.

GDDR5 runs faster than DDR3.

8 gb seems perfect to help future proof the machine
    Yes but gddr5 is memory used in graphics cards, hence the G. So it's puzzling to have them use it as system memory instead.

And UV I'm not complaining I'm just questioning the necessity of 8 gigs of ram, for anything.

They call it GDDR5 because it was designed for graphics cards, but it's not like it can only be used for them. It's just faster memory.

And 8 gigs of memory is going to seem as outdated as 1 gb seems now at the end of the PS4 cycle.

That is a bold statement.

6 to 7 years from now? I absolutely think so.

These floppy disks are never going out of style, this is the height of technology

Hitsuraptor
    Oh yeah, no question

only crazy people thought it would be

the only possibility of that is if high development costs implode the game development market and we only see indie titles for a long time

even then the Wii U has a shitty network infrastructure to support such an environment, so everything would just migrate to Steam instead.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sony is doomed
    I will say this

the music from the witness trailer is fucking beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-RsawGjPY

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Etchwarts
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sony is doomed
    this fall seems like a great time to get a wiiu, honestly

because I don't think I want to fight people for a ps4 or new xbox, and I'm wondering if the wiiu will take a price cut the way the 3DS did

also the 3DS turned out to be a pretty great purchase, btw

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    FUCK PS1 FUCK PS2 FUCK PSP FUCK PS3 FUCK PSV FUCK PS4 MR. IWATA IS BACK TO DROP THE BOMB WITH A 3RD PARTY 3DS NINTENDO DIRECT TOMORROW http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/direct20130221/index.html

PNk1Ml4.png
    VALVEjunkie
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Sony is doomed
    -Tal wrote: »
    FUCK PS1 FUCK PS2 FUCK PSP FUCK PS3 FUCK PSV FUCK PS4 MR. IWATA IS BACK TO DROP THE BOMB WITH A 3RD PARTY 3DS NINTENDO DIRECT TOMORROW http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/direct20130221/index.html

THE BIG DOG PITBULL IS IN THE BUILDING

wY6K6Jb.gif
    augustCilla BlackUnbreakableVowEtchwartsVALVEjunkiegtrmp
    Sony is doomed
    I can't see them not cutting the wii u to 250/300.

sirtoons.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Nintendo will be announcing that they bought Pong and Q*Bert. Who's up for some Mario Battlezone?

august on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

THE BIG DOG PITBULL IS IN THE BUILDING

EXCLUSIVE

i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/nghtmrchaos/bulleyebill.gif

Indie WinterVALVEjunkie
    Microsoft is doomed
    august wrote: »
    Nintendo will be announcing that they bought Pong and Q*Bert. Who's up for some Mario Battlezone?

Fuckin'

I AM

august
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    How is Jhonen Vasquez in person?

'cause I hate everything he's ever actually produced

he's a guy who made a lot of really fucked up shit as a way to deal with Issues and who hates the fans who obsess over him while totally missing the point

namely zim fans

i love him

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'll worry about the PS4 holiday 2014, if I haven't just upgraded my PC's video card and called it a day by then. It's going to take at least a year for the big games to hit anyway.

Sony is doomed
    Please don't link to kotaku

sirtoons.png
    interrobangYaYaScolbertDJ EebsShabootyEtchwartsArteengtrmpPunchy McFistHitsuraptorStiltsBlankZoeMortal Sky
    god damn it why did I look at the comments

The Betgirlgtrmp
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Nintendo is doomed
    BDlvD8gCYAEHerM.jpg
    welp

Antimatter wrote: »
    BDlvD8gCYAEHerM.jpg
    welp

jesus shit

Indie Winter
    Microsoft is doomed
    That's not even true of the Vita!

edited February 2013
    Sony is doomed
    it's a legitimate question, guys
    sadomasochism
    but you should also ask yourself why you'd ever go read something at kotaku.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    it's a legitimate question, guys
    sadomasochism
    but you should also ask yourself why you'd ever go read something at kotaku.

you hate all that is right in the world

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_tJaupUk0

Here's an exciting answer: happenstance. Not all things are related to gender issues that conveniently generate comments and site traffic.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Hitsuraptor
This discussion has been closed.