As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] Don't feed the bees.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I feel like I might be embarrassing myself by asking this, but does anybody play this game on the 360? I'd be down for joining up with some PA people and checking out other people's creations.

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    http://minecraftmarathon.org/

For Child's Play. This is going on now and through the weekend.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So a little flummoxed here.

A friend and I are building a bailey fort quite a distance from the spawn location. We felt it provided the best start up potential with the hillside.

We dug the ground and filled in basically a large area at least 25X25 blocks and 4 blocks deep. We are the tallest area save for part of the hillside we carved out for the northside.
    Even then it's level at best to us. The only access to the place is via four ladders and then gates.
    I think I got enough torches all over the place, but somehow spiders and creepers still get in... I get the spiders, they can climb, but I lost a lot of materials due to the creeper.
    What's the torch to space density I need to keep mobs from spawning?

I feel like taking pictures would provide a better idea of what's going on...

What's My Light Level is handy for finding problem spots.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So I found a tiny mod pack that is pretty much one dude going back and taking old, abandoned mods and making them work with the latest version of Minecraft and one of the mods in the pack is an old beekeeping mod and that caught my eye. I downloaded the pack and overall I have to say I'm not impressed. I mean, it's cool he could even make them work but it seems like a large number of the recipes don't even work for lots of people and you can't add it to a server because he can't figure out how to send server packets for an airship that's in one of the mods or something. Maybe in several months it will be fine but the guy who is doing all of this doesn't seem to take any kind of criticism very well at all and is just sort of stumbling his way through it so I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's also why I'm not linking or naming the pack, it's not worth checking out.

edit: oh hell, I'd better tell y'all what it's called so y'all can either stay away from it or find out for yourselves why it's a piece of shit; it's called Amazopack and it sucks something fierce

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I made some Wind Mills and Batboxes to power my IC2 crafting station:

NC90TDol.jpg?1

Very haphazard; need to look around and figure out how to do it better.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As much as I want to see Industrialcraft put on the shelf, it does make a nice intro to modding. Wrapping heads with the concept of blocks affecting other blocks to make factories.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The mods I'm using make for some very pretty pictures:

FIrsVvf.jpg
    lZP3KcK.jpg
    oP5vaes.jpg
    XsNBiGg.jpg
    a3gnyi8.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Ok, im at wits end here...

Im using buildcraft, industrial craft and red power mods.

I am using a buildcraft pump to pull up lava and put it into an industrialcraft geothermal generator. The wikia's say that the geothermal generator will accept buildcraft tubing and even says it's ok when next to a buildcraft pump.
    I connected an insulated copper wire to an industrialcraft battbox hoping to get some charge from the generator but it is not working. (I eventually want to step the power up to high voltage to carry back to the house and step it back to low voltage for the machines)

the geothermal generator will not accept lava from the tubes or when I place it directly next to the pump. The pump is powered by a steam engine with wood and gold conductive pipe.

the only fuel the generator will accept is a lava bucket or lava cells I feed it, nothing from the liquid lava tubes...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    Decided to replace the sand in a desert on my server with grass. A painstakingly long process even with creative mode switched on for myself. I really like the way it turned out though.

MCFIE_zpsee2ffd22.png

If I ever decide to do something like this again I'm going to be smart and just outline an already grassy area with sand.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Any screenshots? It sounds like that system should work.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    situation_zpsffa96340.jpg

here you go.
    Its a little hard to see the pump, but it is behind all the magma tubes. a power tube is on top supplying power to pull lava up. waterproof piping is snaked around to put the lava
    on top of the geo generator. insulated copper wire is supplying a batt box to ins. copper wire to the LV transformer Im standing on.

My roommate was talking to me and I guess there is a delay in the machines.
    I charged up the geo generator with a about 5 buckets of lava and the battboxes seem to pull power properly now, unless it is still running off of the buckets still.
    When I run things in the house or put a battery on that batt box the geothermal gen powers on and off until the battery and batt box are full of EU.

In light of the issues I managed to get my high voltage power transfer to work.
    2xBatt Boxes, 2xLV tranformers, 2xMV transformers, 2 redstone torches and about 40 to 50 blocks of 4xins. HV wire and I have power to my bailey castle with minimal EU loss over the wire without resorting to diamond tech.
    Read that a redstone torch reverses the polarity of the transformers that that they step up power, instead of the initial step down phase. I have 2 batt boxes so that power is moving from point A to point B. Then the house end batt box is set up with 5 copper cable supplying an extractor, 2 macerators, an electric furnace, and a compressor and no batteries required to constantly flip back and forth... more to come as i need it.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    That's still a serious loss in power D: it's only 1 diamond for 6 glass fibre cables that lose no energy.

• Options
    yea, but until we find enough diamonds for that, we are using what we have available.
    after we drain the lava all around, we'll go wind and solar. and if we get a lucky break we'll use teleporting tubes and cable.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm pretty sure industrialcraft needs inputs to go into the 'side' the slot used would be on, so put the pipe on the bottom.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I fell into a deep hole of having no inspiration and being a lazy shit. Unfortunately this situation makes me entirely unable to do useful things, including working on the Underdark.

I have managed to get some work done over the last couple of weeks though, and I am struggling to get back into it. The starter map is about 80% done, so it might not be that far off! Sorry about making promises I failed to keep again in the last thread though.

• Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I fell into a deep hole of having no inspiration and being a lazy shit. Unfortunately this situation makes me entirely unable to do useful things, including working on the Underdark.

I have managed to get some work done over the last couple of weeks though, and I am struggling to get back into it. The starter map is about 80% done, so it might not be that far off! Sorry about making promises I failed to keep again in the last thread though.

soexcitedsoexcitedsoexcited.

• Options
    It is... quite a lot bigger than the last one.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I really am shocked that so few cave generators are out there. I know lighting glitches become an issue at some point, but you don't need to do anything crazier than ravines and more cave types.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    It is... quite a lot bigger than the last one.

When I need ideas, I just start building wangs and watch cartoons.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    My salvation was the Yogscast. Having their shenanigans running on my second screen is good motivation.

The manual work required on the "secret" cave took longer than I expected, but I still plan to get it assembled before I sleep. That just leaves three main things to do until a sort of beta can be started.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Do you watch sjins videos? He has some pretty good insight on building and terraforming

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Do you watch sjins videos? He has some pretty good insight on building and terraforming

I've seen a couple of his videos. There is a lot of Jogscast.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Hey all,

I've googled around a bit and checked both the minecraft threads here, but to no avail. I'm currently running a private server off my laptop, but my friends get quite a bit of lag (I blame the >2Mbps upload cap on my broadband). If the price is right I'd consider renting a server, but it's hard to know which rental services are reputable and have good performance (the rating sites I've found seem, by and large, to be a load of crock). Does anyone have any insights? How are the PA servers run?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @notoriusBEN you may have figured it out by now, not sure, but it look like that wood pipe on the top? Try a non-wooden waterproof? I thought that wood is for extracting not sure if wood will pass it.

Edit: 3 day old reply, sorry heh.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    Hey all,

I've googled around a bit and checked both the minecraft threads here, but to no avail. I'm currently running a private server off my laptop, but my friends get quite a bit of lag (I blame the >2Mbps upload cap on my broadband). If the price is right I'd consider renting a server, but it's hard to know which rental services are reputable and have good performance (the rating sites I've found seem, by and large, to be a load of crock). Does anyone have any insights? How are the PA servers run?

Thanks in advance!

First step would be to figure out a central location between you and your friends. If you all live in the same place, track down a host that can place your server as close to it as possible. Look for a company that will give you a trial period of 2 days or so. You'll be able to stress it in that amount of time and see if it's going to perform for you and see if you like their server control panel for management. I personally went with NFOservers. Decent price and I could put the server in Chicago which is right in the middle of my players. Everyone has a good ping, the server runs great and I have no complaints.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Have everyone connect without any mods installed first, and see if the lag still occurs.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Today was pretty productive! Finishing the High City took about as much work as I had expected, and I am pretty happy with the way the Worldshroom turned out. That means I am basically in the polish phase! There is a lot I can do to spruce up the caves, but the map is essentially playable as of now. This means that unless something extraordinary happens, I am going to open up some kind of Beta this weekend.

The biggest issue up in the air right now is hosting. I have no reliable hosting available, nor the money to spend on a paid alternative at the moment. If there is someone connected to PA that would be prepared to lend temporary server space for the Underdark that would of course be ideal, but if not then I will localhost it this weekend just to see how the map and the addons are working until a good alternative can be found.

So yes, the Underdark appears to be back in business. I'll have some more concrete plans before saturday.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Before you release the map for playtesting, you may want to check out these channels.

Nothing spices up a map like creepers with a explosion radius of 100 and speed 5 silverfish

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Today was pretty productive! Finishing the High City took about as much work as I had expected, and I am pretty happy with the way the Worldshroom turned out. That means I am basically in the polish phase! There is a lot I can do to spruce up the caves, but the map is essentially playable as of now. This means that unless something extraordinary happens, I am going to open up some kind of Beta this weekend.

The biggest issue up in the air right now is hosting. I have no reliable hosting available, nor the money to spend on a paid alternative at the moment. If there is someone connected to PA that would be prepared to lend temporary server space for the Underdark that would of course be ideal, but if not then I will localhost it this weekend just to see how the map and the addons are working until a good alternative can be found.

So yes, the Underdark appears to be back in business. I'll have some more concrete plans before saturday.

That noise everyone hears is Emp squeeeing.

Don't worry too much about polish, it can always be tweaked. And by tweaking I mean I will wage a one-man war on cobblestone.

• Options
    @notoriusBEN you may have figured it out by now, not sure, but it look like that wood pipe on the top? Try a non-wooden waterproof? I thought that wood is for extracting not sure if wood will pass it.

Edit: 3 day old reply, sorry heh.

I'll try that out, thanks. I thought wood pipes were used to connect objects and then you use the other pipes to achieve your goals. whether it be cobblestone because it's cheap or gold if your flush with it. or something else that's fancy.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Early March for the next big update, apparently.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_Update

I am excited for the texture changes, will make switching out specific blocks very easy.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    I don't squee, I moan.

As for hosting, in terms of long term, I think your player base is sufficient enough to make donations.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    Today I made myself some little Turtle buddies. I'm excited to start scripting them.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Have everyone connect without any mods installed first, and see if the lag still occurs.

Yeah we're not playing with mods, it's a vanilla SMP server. The problem is that my home connection is capped at 2 Mbps upload, and my friends are connecting from all across the map (eastern US, Japan, etc).

I'll look into NFOServers, thanks for that rec @DekuStick! Basically anything with a trial period is great and I would love to try them all.

Thanks guys :D

• Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Today I made myself some little Turtle buddies. I'm excited to start scripting them.

I'm so bad at turtles, but they're SO GOOD. If you give them swords, they act like players when killing mobs. Combine with the Soul Shards mod to make a spawner that pushes them towards a line of turtles and they drop exp/items. Use a Brain in a Jar to collect the exp and some transposers or obsidian pipes to pick up the item drops. Mostly for the exp. It's so good.

• Options

Yeah we're not playing with mods, it's a vanilla SMP server. The problem is that my home connection is capped at 2 Mbps upload, and my friends are connecting from all across the map (eastern US, Japan, etc).

I'll look into NFOServers, thanks for that rec @DekuStick! Basically anything with a trial period is great and I would love to try them all.

Thanks guys :D

Including mods that let you use high-rez texture packs.

N@W has severe lag issues early on that turned out to be caused by Optifine.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Early March for the next big update, apparently.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_Update

I am excited for the texture changes, will make switching out specific blocks very easy.

Do these usually break all the mod packs? Wondering if I should plan on not playing FTB during that time, and do productive job finding stuff.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    The FTB launcher won't update your Minecraft client until there is a stable updated release pushed.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I'm so bad at turtles, but they're SO GOOD. If you give them swords, they act like players when killing mobs. Combine with the Soul Shards mod to make a spawner that pushes them towards a line of turtles and they drop exp/items. Use a Brain in a Jar to collect the exp and some transposers or obsidian pipes to pick up the item drops. Mostly for the exp. It's so good.

Yikes, so much options. So far I'm mostly having them dig tunnels for me to branch off of manually. Before I went to bed (and that was much delayed, I tell you what) I watched a couple videos about the Buildcraft pipes and started trying to put together a sorting system to deal with the output from turtle.excavate. I want to build trains to far-off places, so I'm going to need a lot of resources to build tracks and a lot of solar panels to power them. Track-laying turtles will be involved.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Yikes, so much options. So far I'm mostly having them dig tunnels for me to branch off of manually. Before I went to bed (and that was much delayed, I tell you what) I watched a couple videos about the Buildcraft pipes and started trying to put together a sorting system to deal with the output from turtle.excavate. I want to build trains to far-off places, so I'm going to need a lot of resources to build tracks and a lot of solar panels to power them. Track-laying turtles will be involved.
    It's been a while since I've messed around with CC turtles, but back in 1.3.2 I wrote a system that could read a waypoints file and navigate to a given waypoint using gps. I later expanded this program with blueprint files that the turtle could read and build according to. The turtle would automatically pick up the resources needed for the construction from chests at listed waypoints and would even go back to the chests and refill resources if it ran out mid-build.
    Some day I'll finish it up and clean the code.

edit: Oh and here's a tip: You can have your excavating turtles each carry an Enderchest that's connected to your main sorting/storage facility. Every so often, have the turtles place the chests above/below them, drop their entire inventories into the chests, and pick them back up. You can have them carry two and use the second one for refueling. A few months back, Eloraam (creator of RP2) created an insane system on Forgecraft where one master computer controlled a fleet of up to 60 self-regulating turtles using Enderchests. Bonkers.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
This discussion has been closed.