Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

178101213

Posts

  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Lufia II was highly underappeciated. The battle system itself was functional and about average for the day, but the dungeons were fantastic. The puzzles were great, and the Ancient Cave was just so much fun to play (beware the level 99 glitch though.)

    Secret of Evermore is an odd beast. I disliked it at first because the me of back then expected it to be a lot like Secret of Mana, and there were several places it fell short. On picking it up again a couple of years later, it was a better game, and I'd rate it as "good for the time." It's also not an easy game for most of the game. (There's a couple of weapons you get near endgame that can trivialize it).

    Oddly, I've never played the Lufia game despite playing a a great of number of RPGs. I think I started the first one at one point but just never got into it.

    Secret of Evermore on the other hand was one of my personal favorites, despite it not being a particularly good game. One thing that always stuck with me about it was the music. I wasn't the best music, but it was very atmospheric and lent itself well to the games varied locales. I'm not sure if it was that difficult, but it was buggy as all hell. Some things just didn't work right and there were various ways to cheese through things, like magic sticking and the Atlas glitch. It's basically Secret of Mana, but not as good, and more American.
    SimBen wrote: »
    Damn, "mainstream" reviews really tore into Xillia. Tales never gets any respect.

    This is why I never read mainstream reviews anymore.

    Personal RPGs beaten list update: I'm up over 150 now, so that's nice.

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, Tales of Graces f got similar reviews and I absolutely loved it.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think if Secret of Evermore were going to get made today, it would be fantastic

    it seems like maybe they didn't do as much with it because they felt their assumed audience (kids) wouldn't appreciate their vision

    I don't think a modern dev would be as wary about making what is essentially a pulp loveletter

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also Evermore was one of Jeremy Soule's very first projects

    this is why the music is good but not great

    dude hadn't hit his stride yet

  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I liked FF12's combat, though I wish they did even more with different types of gambits and having to design your team and their 'personalities' and whatnot. I think a game that really fleshes that out a lot more could be really good.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Hey thread. Does anyone know of a good turn-based RPG for the iPad (other than the Final Fantasy games)?

    For reference, my favorite RPGs are Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Mario RPG for the SNES.

    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So right now I have enough money to buy either Lunar: Silver Star Harmony or Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the psn. I have the first Valkyria Chronicles but I haven't played it yet. I'm not sure which to buy.

    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    So right now I have enough money to buy either Lunar: Silver Star Harmony or Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the psn. I have the first Valkyria Chronicles but I haven't played it yet. I'm not sure which to buy.

    Well...I'm certain this isn't going to be the popular opinion, but I'd take Lunar over Valkyria Chronicles 2. I played both and I just really didn't like VC2 at all. I was ok with it for awhile, but it was pretty terrible at explaining what everything was exactly, and at one point it turned out I needed to have a class in my party that I didn't even know existed or how to even get in order to even touch one enemy. So since I wasn't having that much fun I just stopped playing.

    I beat Lunar and had fun. It was ok but wasn't especially good.

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Hey thread. Does anyone know of a good turn-based RPG for the iPad (other than the Final Fantasy games)?

    For reference, my favorite RPGs are Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Mario RPG for the SNES.

    Chrono Trigger is on there too isn't it?

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Lufia II was highly underappeciated. The battle system itself was functional and about average for the day, but the dungeons were fantastic. The puzzles were great, and the Ancient Cave was just so much fun to play (beware the level 99 glitch though.)

    Secret of Evermore is an odd beast. I disliked it at first because the me of back then expected it to be a lot like Secret of Mana, and there were several places it fell short. On picking it up again a couple of years later, it was a better game, and I'd rate it as "good for the time." It's also not an easy game for most of the game. (There's a couple of weapons you get near endgame that can trivialize it).

    Oddly, I've never played the Lufia game despite playing a a great of number of RPGs. I think I started the first one at one point but just never got into it.

    Ther first Lufia was...terribly mediocre, so it's not surprising that you (and I!) didn't really get into it. There's a reason it's not mentioned as much as Lufia II.

  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    So did anyone pick up Dragon's Crown? The ridiculous character designs kinda turned me off on it, but it sounds like an awesome golden axe type game now that reviews are in, which I love. Worth getting?

    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about it too myself, character designs aside the background and stuff are god dang gorgeous

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQdh6DW0N8

  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The first Lufia is just a bare-bones ass SNES rpg. The only thing to stand out about it at all was the difficulty, which was rather brutal at times. Well, I liked to story too, but I'm also not about to claim it's anything phenomenal. But it's not bad either.

  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Alright so the bonus work reward point things I was saving for gta5 and saints row 4 may have just bought me Tales of Xillia. Whoops!

    I'm pretty psyched to get home and play it!

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

    ps3? same screen multi?

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Secret of Evermore has its shortcomings compared to other Square games of the time (it would be interesting to know whether it was developed on a smaller budget, given that its development was a bit of a wager for Square), but I still think it's a gem and unique in many aspects. I also love the music, it's not what I would listen to outside of the game since a lot of it is rather repetitive, but it works well with the visuals in creating a unique atmosphere.

    Lufia II also rocks, I wish more games would have done or would do stuff like the Ancient Cave. It basically takes all the elements from the core game and transforms the game into a roguelike.

    Platy on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm all about Final Fantasy 6

    ALL

    ABOUT

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Secret of Evermore has its shortcomings compared to other Square games of the time (it would be interesting to know whether it was developed on a smaller budget, given that its development was a bit of a wager for Square), but I still think it's a gem and unique in many aspects. I also love the music, it's not what I would listen to outside of the game since a lot of it is rather repetitive, but it works well with the visuals in creating a unique atmosphere.

    Lufia II also rocks, I wish more games would have done or would do stuff like the Ancient Cave. It basically takes all the elements from the core game and transforms the game into a roguelike.

    SoE was the first western-developed game Square ever made. And, for a while, the only one. They launched that studio to make Evermore and after that was done, that became the CG animation studio, which means they were the ones behind The Spirits Within (and, later, Advent Children).

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

    ps3? same screen multi?

    Yuuuup. Actually a pretty fun co-op game if your S/O likes beat-em-ups.

  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    One thing I liked about the Ancient Cave was that you could collect trophies and items which would permanently stay with you, making it progressively easier to reach the bottom.

  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Evermore was a great game. I don't even think it had all that many failings.

  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I feel like Evermore gets unfairly blamed for Seiken Densetsu 3 not being brought over to America, which is bullshit. Square disengaging from having anything to do with Nintendo is what killed that, nothing else.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

    ps3? same screen multi?

    Yuuuup. Actually a pretty fun co-op game if your S/O likes beat-em-ups.

    and if your friends like online co-op? wink wink nudge nudge?

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Evermore was a great game. I don't even think it had all that many failings.

    The only thing which really bothered me back in the day was the lack of multiplayer.

  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I feel like Evermore gets unfairly blamed for Seiken Densetsu 3 not being brought over to America, which is bullshit. Square disengaging from having anything to do with Nintendo is what killed that, nothing else.

    Nintendo makes some good games

    but they make some silly fucking decisions

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    I feel like Evermore gets unfairly blamed for Seiken Densetsu 3 not being brought over to America, which is bullshit. Square disengaging from having anything to do with Nintendo is what killed that, nothing else.

    Nintendo makes some good games

    but they make some silly fucking decisions

    That wasn't Nintendo though, that was all on Squaresoft's side.

    By all accounts they had the SD3 translation all ready to go but they were about to announce FF7 for the Playstation and cut all ties to Nintendo so they didn't bring it out.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ugh, really?


    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I have played Seiken Densetsu 3 via ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE MEANS

    and I would have to say that the fact it was never brought here is a goddamn travesty

    aside from being arguably the best-looking game on the SNES, it's also a goddamn blast, has even better music than Secret of Mana, and has more replayability than almost every other JRPG I've played

    if people in the US were aware of it, I think it would seriously be a contender for best 16-bit JRPG

    Shorty on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have played and beaten Final Fantasy VI on every device I've owned that I could play it on.

  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

    ps3? same screen multi?

    Yuuuup. Actually a pretty fun co-op game if your S/O likes beat-em-ups.

    and if your friends like online co-op? wink wink nudge nudge?

    I haven't unlocked Multiplayer yet.

  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Initial Xillia impressions:

    omg her hair is fantabulous

    I love anime hair

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Grrrrrrrr... I want to buy Xillia

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    xillia black

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is gorgeous. Sier and I have been having fun playing Co-op with the game. The combat is pretty fun if not a little button-mashing.

    ps3? same screen multi?

    Yuuuup. Actually a pretty fun co-op game if your S/O likes beat-em-ups.

    and if your friends like online co-op? wink wink nudge nudge?

    I haven't unlocked Multiplayer yet.

    is this true, you can't play multi until you beat a certain number of dungeons? seems wacky to me

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I have beaten Seiken Densetsu 3 at least 15 times. It is a goddamn shame we never got that, and even though I love Legend of Mana it pretty much killed off the series.

    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I have played Seiken Densetsu 3 via ENTIRELY LEGITIMATE MEANS

    and I would have to say that the fact it was never brought here is a goddamn travesty

    aside from being arguably the best-looking game on the SNES, it's also a goddamn blast, has even better music than Secret of Mana, and has more replayability than almost every other JRPG I've played

    if people in the US were aware of it, I think it would seriously be a contender for best 16-bit JRPG

    I fucking love that game

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Tried to get into SD3 no less than 5 times and failed each time. I don't really like all the choices in characters given to me, crazy as that sounds.

  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Tried to get into SD3 no less than 5 times and failed each time. I don't really like all the choices in characters given to me, crazy as that sounds.


    Pick Kevin, Riesz, and Hawk and just go to town.

  • Options
    Dumpster_MouthDumpster_Mouth Registered User regular
    Fallout 3.

Sign In or Register to comment.