As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If I HAD to pick just one RPG as to best thing ever.

It'd be Thousand Year Door.

I LOVE THIS GAME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFFPdF-KY8

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Lost Odyssey is indeed a fantastic game. The gameplay is a little old-schoolish but it didn't take away from the game.

Pros:
    - Jansen
    - Good characters, good plot.
    - Utterly fantastic stories in the Thousand Years of Dreams (seriously, some of them made me tear up)
    - Great graphics.

Cons:
    Typical Japanese young kid plot in a couple of parts. (that brother and sister...)
    Sometimes battling would get a bit long.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, the kids in the plot were my least favourite parts usually, but I'm glad they were there. The game treated them as actual characters, not just typical JRPG children tropes. And it added to one of my favourite parts of the game, which is the sense of family. You have people from all different ages banding together like a family (which they, you know, sometimes literally are). That dynamic is one I hadn't seen explored so well in a JRPG before, or in basically any game ever up until that point.

Edit: I think I like looking back on those kids in the story than when I was actually playing it.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I LOVE THIS GAME

Allow me to join you in your love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mll2EwvxnrM

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I'll probably bug @Stale and borrow his copy of Ni No Kuni when he's done with it. I'm done buying games until this horrendous backlog is a LITTLE finished.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I have it through gamefly. But sure.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I have it through gamefly. But sure.

Oh, nevermind then. I don't know why I thought you bought it. I'm slow with RPGs so it wouldn't be worth not sending it back just to let me borrow it. I'll play it eventually.

• Options
    Hrm Amazon has Ni No Kuni for a little bit off right now. I guess I'll go ahead and buy it.

I'm making a goal to forge through Xenoblade now, (sorry Crusader Kings 2, you're off the wagon for now.) And over the past few days, almost every plot point I've been hitting has been a "whoa...that was some serious...happenings." Just got through Valek Mountains last night.

Also, another last gen RPG I love, and will always love: Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I still have both Suikoden 1 and 2, brand new condition.

Pretty sure I recycled both of the jewel cases for them though, and the disks by themselves probably aren't worth as much

not that I'd ever sell em. Legitimately two of my favorite RPGs of all time.

I enjoyed Suikoden 3 more than I thought I would, the three branching stories were pretty neat and I thought it introduced the right amount of new mechanics without completely re-writing the overall feel of the game.

However, Suikoden 2 will remain at the top of my list in the series.

All-time favorite RPG is still Vagrant Story. The plot was just so damned engrossing to me.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Now I want to go home and keep playing.

It took me a few battles to get the timing down, but I am able to get a good rating almost every time I do a melee attack. I kinda half paid attention during the tutorial so there is something I'm looking over which is probably why I don't get perfects very often.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It's a shame Vagrant Story had a learning curve that looked like a cliff

Great game with a great soundtrack

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    It's a shame Vagrant Story had a learning curve that looked like a cliff

Great game with a great soundtrack

It was most certainly not for the faint of heart; there were boss battles where the right setup of weapons and armor were absolutely critical or you would get your face torn off in seconds.

But the game actually rewarded you for going off the beaten path and digging in dead ends; it wasn't just treasure chests with equipable gear, there were upgradeable spellbooks (grimoires IIRC) that could turn absolutely grueling boss battles into something more manageable.

Oh and another thing: remember that boss you killed two screens ago? Yeah, he's now a common enemy with upgrades of his own.

Challenge was always a factor in that game; you had to work your ass off to out-level a zone or an enemy. Loved that shit.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    First time I played vagrant story I was wondering when the hell I was getting out of the dungeon and into the first town so I could get more people in my party and go shopping.

Game was amazing though and I am glad I still have my copy.

Towards the end of the ps2s life span I picked up a ton of used copies of jRPGs. Just to have them in case they were ever hard to find.

I have all the xenosagas (beat only the first one) smt: nocturne and digital devil saga 1 and 2. Shadow Covenant and a couple more I am not remembering.

A couple games, like FF12 and Dragons Quest 8 I picked up and put in a good amount of time into them, but then dead rising came out on the 360 and thus started a great back log that has never been touched.

• Options
    I remember fighting the first wyvern boss with weapons that did single digit damage to it

I chipped away at it for a half-hour until it fell

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Also it had some annoying mechanics

Using an item mid-fight really messes up the flow of combat

Having to cast the Scan spell on each individual enemy instead of just scanning an enemy type once and storing it like in FF is dumb

Also the randomized stat gains from the wines were dumb when you'd just savescum to get the +5 bonus every time

Still wish it had gotten a sequel

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ya know, I look at the transition of time investment for RPG's over the years and I think there's clear line for me.

I'll put a good 60-70 hours into a game with balanced mechanics and upgradeable widgets and a decent story.

But if a game has shit mechanic from the start, I do not give a single fuck about the story, I will pop that sucker out and take it to Gamestop.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if a game has great mechanics but a shit story? Yeah, I'll just mute the voice-acting and start popping open this here case of cheap beer.

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Shit, we talking about Vagrant Story and Suikoden in here?

Cuz man... those games probably BY THEMSELVES make the PS1 my favorite console of all time.

• Options
    The Shadow Hearts games were pretty great

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Shadow Hearts had some great atmosphere, but the gameplay was clunky.
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant was a little less serious, but still had great characters, a good plot, good visuals, the the gameplay was top-notch.
    I've yet to play more than two hours into Shadow Hearts: FtNW. I really really need to though.

• Options
    FtNW is even goofier than Covenant and the story is kinda eh, but has a much more refined combat system

1 is really rough to play these days, and I would suggest that if you want to get into the series you either start with 1 or skip it entirely

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    One of the party members in FtNW is an anthropomorphic drunken boxing cat

Who trained an American professor to be a ninja (this guy is also a party member)

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    im playing persona 4

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I am glad this is a thread because I just bought a ps2

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Oh hey, my local video game store has Suikoden... 2? I still have. My PS2, but the spare time does not exist.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Oh hey, my local video game store has Suikoden... 2? I still have. My PS2, but the spare time does not exist.

how much is it cause uh that shit sells for like 250 on the reg

• Options
    One of the party members in FtNW is an anthropomorphic drunken boxing cat

Who trained an American professor to be a ninja (this guy is also a party member)

frank is a french guy who lived in brazil

also said cat trained al capone, who was friends with eliot ness

• Options
    from the new world is one of the most fucking insane things I have ever played and I loved it

• Options
    oh, the main character?

a teenage detective that lives in new york in the 20's

he uses a dagger that turns into a lightsaber made out of anger

• Options
    there is also a space alien vampire that can take one of three forms: a fat lolita style girl, a hot goth jailbait, or a pink bat

there is also a native american chick that strips to transform into various spirits

and her bodyguard, a large native american that knows gun fu

• Options
    Really, the mariachi whose guitar turns into a gun is the least ridiculous party member

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I think it's at fifty bucks? I'll double check next time I'm in town.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options

buy that shit immediately unless it's bootlegged

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

buy that shit immediately unless it's bootlegged

Seriously.

Suikoden 2 is pretty great.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

I LOVE THIS GAME

Allow me to join you in your love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mll2EwvxnrM

SOme years ago I got my oldest niece, Hannah, into the game.

I always enjoy watching her play. I'd make silly commentary and give her tips when she was having trouble.

When it got to the Glitz Pit, I started providing voices for some of the characters, including R. Lee Ermey as Grubba.

My Rawk Hawk was basically Ultimate Warrior in a rock band.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm on my second playthrough of Xenoblade and I'm at over 280 hours.

I love TWEWY so much, I've played it twice and put over 500 hours into it.

I only have Suikoden IV. :(

Persona 4 is one of my favourite games and I will be buying a Vita just to play Persona 4 Golden. I've played Persona 3 Portable like 5 times.

I'm thinking of buying Planescape: Torment.

Most of my gaming backlog is rpgs.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Planescape: Torment is so very worth it.

I need to borrow my parent's Wii again and get back into Xenoblade.

• Options
    I played Torment a couple years ago for the first time, and it absolutely holds up. Especially if you have a soft spot for that era.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Eeeeh

It holds up if you're familiar with the game and its extremely specific version of the AD&D ruleset.

If you're going into it brand new, you'd get a lot of benefit consulting DSimpson's PS:T guides.

For those who don't know, DSimpson is the golden god of infinity engine FAQs.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    To be fair, I'd played Baldur's Gate and my fair share of Dungeons and Dragons. It wasn't anything radically new for me, mechanically.

I'd still wager it's worth the investment. There might be a learning curve, but the rewards are great.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    I absolutely adore PS:T mostly in spite of the game

like, it is a fantastic narrative locked inside a nearly unplayable mess of a game

it is a bad use of the infinity engine, which was already an obtuse as hell piece of shit that would fight you at every turn when it was used well