As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Seemed like a good thread to drop this in.

While we're on the subject, there's also

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns

I keep forgetting I paid for those games

I'm going to continue forgetting that until a Steam key for each one shows up in my email

Same for Republique and The Banner Saga

wouldn't hold out for The Banner Saga, personally.
    recent article on gamasutra about why kickstarter for video games is becoming horrible
    (in their case, they made a bunch of extra money... and have been working solely on a game NONE of us paid to fund and many of us wouldnt have paid if that was the game promised... the single player game is now likely end of year or sometime 2014.)

Did you see the developers response to that criticism? Seemed pretty reasonable to me.

As a backer, I was in no way surprised to have a multiplayer game released first. They were up front about it, and it seemed perfectly logical. Why not release the multiplayer component first, since it'll help work out the battle engine, then continue working on the single player content? I'd rather have a chance to sample the game now instead of waiting for the whole thing to be released. Both single and multiplayer were always going to exist.

I could be horribly wrong about this, but I really didn't see what all the fuss was about.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    jesus christ nier is making me feel so many feelings

it is fucking soul-crushing

I'm guessing you haven't played it before, so I'm urging you to do a new game+ when you beat it. It adds so many layers to the narrative.

Probably the juiciest new game+ I've ever played.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I'm guessing you haven't played it before, so I'm urging you to do a new game+ when you beat it. It adds so many layers to the narrative.

I just did the novel part for kaine

and

fuck

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I just did the novel part for kaine

and

fuck

Yeah

Yeah

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean even the loading screens that are pages from yonah's diary are goddamn adorable and gut-wrenching

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Make sure you get all the endings.

I felt like playing an old school RPG so I started up Lunar PSP version. I haven't played it since the Playstation version came out, but I remember not liking it that much, so hopefully this version is a bit better. I know I liked Lunar 2 a lot more since I beat that twice.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Ok I dunno if this has been talked about but Lord British has a kickstarter for a game in the vein of Ultima Online:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0?ref=live

I grew up playing the original Ultimas, and loved them all up until Ultima VIII, which was still good, but you could tell things were going downhill. We will never speak of Ultima IX. EVER.

and Ultima Online was my favorite MMORPG ever, because it was such free reign chaos and I thrived there.

I really really really hope he can make this game as good as the old school RPG's he was know for, and am super excited about this.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Fuck, I remember when I was younger, and I had just bought either Ultima 6 or 7, and it didn't come with the instruction manual. For those of you who don't know, the games had a type of DRM in them where you would be asked questions about what can only be found in the manuals, and this was in the early days of the internet, so no easy googling for the answer.

I remember calling the customer support line which was apparently a direct line to the developers, and getting a dude who not only willingly stayed past the closing time of work, but also faxed me a copy of every single page of the manual. I wish I could remember his name because I've always wanted to hug that man and tell him how much it meant to young 10 year old me. It was definitely the Ultima series that solidified my love for old school PC rpg's and I really wish the series was still around.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    The final ending in Nier is really something special.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Nier is the Dutch word for kidney which is a really weird name for a rpg.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    NIER OWNS @T4CT

• Options
    edited March 2013
    DOUBLE POST

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    the only good piece of writing in nier was "nobody likes a sad tree"

• Options
    hello i am a father in the game of nier and my daughter has whooping cough 2.0 daughter have you heard of this flower it grants wishes of course it would cure your asthma oh what the fuck there's no way i could have predicted you would go after the flower i just said would cure you what the fuck oh man

• Options
    1. why the fuck wouldn't they just set the whole game in the post apocalypse that the tutorial sequence is in

number 1 on the "why the fuck wouldn't they" list of questions nier begins to create approx. 3 minutes after beginning it

• Options
    NIER ENDGAME SPOILERS
    because that nier effectively gives up his soul

• Options
    NIER ENDGAME SPOILERS
    also that nier is the final boss

• Options
    NIER END GAME SPOILERS
    220px-Matrix_revolutions_ver7.jpg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Disgaea 3 is coming free to PS plus. I've never played a Disgaea game and my tolerance for anime is nearly zero, but I figure maybe that's why I should give it a shot? I know it's old but can anybody recommend it or say it's terrible?

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I haven't played Disgaea 3, but D1 and D2 are definitely not "typical anime". The humor in the writing is great, and if you love looking at numbers and statistics and more stats, Disgaea is the game for you!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yo, Hullis, I realize you probably think summoning T4CT is hilarious, but I have seen this song and dance enough times to be really tired of it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    is dragons dogma really that fun

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I need to replace the battery in my copy of Dragon Warrior.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i have last remnant on pc. is last remnant good? i heard the story is dumb but I remember people saying the combat is really neat

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Disgaea 3 is coming free to PS plus. I've never played a Disgaea game and my tolerance for anime is nearly zero, but I figure maybe that's why I should give it a shot? I know it's old but can anybody recommend it or say it's terrible?

It's not terrible. It's interesting and fun for a good deal of time. It can be easy to burn out on Disgaea, if you have played a lot of those games before.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

It's not terrible. It's interesting and fun for a good deal of time. It can be easy to burn out on Disgaea, if you have played a lot of those games before.

Oy, this. So much this. There was a few year period where I was playing a ton of tactics style games. I played Disgaea for over 100 hours. Then Disgaea 2 came out, I started playing it and...that was it. I didn't want to play it any more, I didn't want to play any tactics game anymore. I tried Makai Kingdom and didn't play much of that, I tried Chaos Wars and...ok that's not so much I didn't want to play that style of game, more that game was just atrocious, but you get the idea. I'd have to look at my list but I don't think I completed another one for years until I played Tactics Ogre for the PSP last year. I don't know what it is but I just got burnt out on tactics games *snap* like that.
    i have last remnant on pc. is last remnant good? i heard the story is dumb but I remember people saying the combat is really neat

Someone who actually played the PC version can comment more because that version is supposed to be better with a lot of fixes, but I did play the 360 version. I can't actually recommend it that much, but I at least played it enough to beat it. The battle system is kind of interesting but everything else is just not well implemented. The story is very bland and I can't even remember much of it past "heroes fight evil dude". There's a lot of crafting stuff and side quests and stuff that you'd have no idea about if you didn't have a guide. The battle system is really obtuse and unintuitive as far as I remember. It takes awhile to get into and even then it never quite makes 100% sense, and then way later there are special things that you can do with certain formations and it's just kind of weird.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    The Wii does not do online well.

I think it'd be more fun playing the game in person like the old days.

"Goddamnit quit standing behind that rock I need to go over here!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I loved Last Remnant, it is a really good game and the combat is definitely very well done.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

I mean if it is free you may as well try it

But man, my anime tolerance is pretty low these days and the plot sort of irritates me with how anime it is. I haven't played it much. I remember liking the first Disgaea on the DS. 3 is some sort of weird demon high school anime thing.

Gameplay is pretty solid turn based tactics though

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    anime

in my anime games

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I have played 0 anime games and 0.001 tactics games (played Final Fantasy Tactics for about 20 minutes). I watched my brother play a bunch of Fire Emblem and that's about it. I'll probably download it and sit on it, right now I've fallen back in the Skyrim hole and don't think I'm coming out any time soon.

• Options
    AsukuiAsukui Registered User regular
    Disgaea 3 is probably the weakest story-wise of all those games; most anime-y, most crap characters making crap decisions. The actual game play is as solid as the others, it was just my least favorite and I put in the least amount of hours.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I know I'm bumping, but it seems the best place to ask. Does it matter if I played Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle 64 and Tactics Ogre out of whatever order they're in?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They apparently announced Disgaea 4 is getting a Vita release. Which is cool, since I only really play those games on handhelds anyway.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    But I don't want to buy a Vita.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I know I'm bumping, but it seems the best place to ask. Does it matter if I played Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle 64 and Tactics Ogre out of whatever order they're in?

The Ogre Battle games are tangentially related, they happen on the same world but in different eras. (This isn't exact, but I know it doesn't matter what order you play the games in.)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    But I don't want to buy a Vita.

They're actually pretty okay now! Still way too fucking expensive, though.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

The Ogre Battle games are tangentially related, they happen on the same world but in different eras. (This isn't exact, but I know it doesn't matter what order you play the games in.)

yeah, you don't need to follow them in a certain order

the pieces fit no matter which order you put them in

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I say do it.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852