Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Get 13-2 while you're at it. It is a good game as well.

• Options
    Also, thinking about RPGs and HD remakes.

I will give all the monies for a remake of Shadow Hearts + SH: Covenant I can play on my Vita. All the monies.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Hai guys should i play final fantasy 13

I loved it, so yeah.

Also, the PSP Lunar is a travesty. Each remake gets worse and worse.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Also, thinking about RPGs and HD remakes.

I will give all the monies for a remake of Shadow Hearts + SH: Covenant I can play on my Vita. All the monies.

This is a good idea. Except for the Vita part because I don't have one.

Speaking of remakes. Or at least re-releases, I'm going to be playing Persona 2 as my next game whenever I decide to stop playing Torchlight 2. I'm hoping to like it well enough, though I assume not as much as 3 or 4, just because those are supposed to be better games. Then I guess I'll get SMT4 at some point, but not any time soon since I bought a bunch of PC games that I want to get through before playing something else new.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    FF13 has probably my favorite Final Fantasy combat but will take 12 full, real-life hours to become anything except dead boring.

• Options
    And 13-2 only improves on the combat in the best of ways. So definitely play that too.

I had so much fun with that game, even if the story is typical WTF nonsense.

• Options
    atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    Hai guys should i play final fantasy 13

Start and experience the dozen hour boredom of pushing X and X and X...

(I'm currently struggling through it.)

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ff 13 was a shower of shit from start to finish

they put a ton of effort into making a beautiful game that is completely unfun and uninteresting

it squandered everything about it that might have been worthwhile

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I just went through my bookmarks and removed this thread like 2 days ago

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bought Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 for PSP to play on my Vita.

Oh yes I did.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

they put a ton of effort into making a beautiful game that is completely unfun and uninteresting

disagree!

the only slow parts are the first few chapters and chapter 12

the characters and combat were also really good

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I didn't like FFXII

so I figured I wouldn't like XIII

the end

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Xii and xiii are both very different.
    I enjoyed both of then found inferential reasons.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I didn't like FFXII

so I figured I wouldn't like XIII

the end

lightning is awesome though

also play 13-2: a legitimately good game

• Options
    That's a terrible autocorrect..

• Options
    edited August 2013
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

disagree!

the only slow parts are the first few chapters and chapter 12

the characters and combat were also really good

even the parts you say aren't slow are full of incomprehensible pacing decisions

I remember one part where Hope and Szaz have a really long, boring conversation via cutscene

it ends and great, you get to play the game again

you walk twenty feet forward and then another long, boring conversation via cutscene ensues

it's full of shit like that, bush-league pacing problems that even penny-ante writers and filmmakers know to avoid

the characters were all unlikable for one reason or another (with the exception of Szaz), and only grew tolerable after I'd been forced to listen to them whine for twenty hours

all of their problems were conveyed in the kind of insufferable melodramatic dialogue that David Lynch spent two years making fun of in Twin Peaks

combat was like an afterthought, like something they included because they felt like they had to, only grudgingly, and only if the game did most of it for you

it's like XII, in that the gambits were cool but were created to solve a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with--namely, that the combat was boring, and that's where auto-battle comes in

there is blessed little in the game that I can recommend

though I will say that the music was the most memorable in an FF game since IX (especially that battle theme, which somehow never got old), and of course it was very pretty

Shorty on
  • Options
    -smash-smash Registered User regular
    These days, I think I play final fantasy games entirely for the art direction.

• Options
    Shit, Tales of Xillia comes out tomorrow.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also play 13-2: a legitimately good game

Much truth in this statement.

• Options
    They should make a new Tales game for a system that I have.

• Options
    Pretty sure they are locked into Sony systems for a long time now.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    FF13 auto battle isn't actually auto battle

Just like how FF12's auto combat through gambits wasn't actually auto

Both games had a completely different, but highly dynamic, form of combat that was really good for different reasons.

I can wholly appreciate anyone not liking it, but neither in 12 nor 13 was combat an afterthought. It's the whole game. 13 is only good because it has that combat system, even though it doesn't quite excuse the abysmal pacing at the start.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

So... you only have a PC, Wii U and Vita?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

New since Hearts. Although I guess Abyss might count. Anyway my point is I don't have a PS3. I'm still planning on getting one eventually, but I've been "planning" that for a couple years now.

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

New since Hearts. Although I guess Abyss might count. Anyway my point is I don't have a PS3. I'm still planning on getting one eventually, but I've been "planning" that for a couple years now.

Yeahhh I guess you're stuck with Abyss 3D then.

But a PS3 would be a good investment for sure.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Oh yes I did.

Uh... you mean the SFC/PS1 SMT games? Or Persona? If the former, I'm impressed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shit, Tales of Xillia comes out tomorrow.

Right before school starts.

Well, I'll have a week, maybe I can binge it.

Despite not keeping up with releases, I am the worst Tales addict.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Oh yes I did.

Uh... you mean the SFC/PS1 SMT games? Or Persona? If the former, I'm impressed.
    Persona

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2013
    Hey, I have a Final Fantasy 13 question for you guys regarding item upgrades. Is there a benefit to fully upgrading non-stat accessories? For example, Sprint Shoes that grant auto-haste. Will there be a bonus to star them aside from the items I would receive from dismantling?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Lufia 2 was fucking great

one of my all-time favorite timeskips in a video game, and an excellent ending to boot. It even has a romance done decently well! (there is a tiny bit of contrivance mind but it's handled pretty well all told)

The game is also an excellent example of the most horseshit puzzles in video gaming.

Dekar was the best Dumb Hero

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    is dragons dogma really that fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNwrv--DmU

Yes

Holy shit.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    Hey, I have a Final Fantasy 13 question for you guys regarding item upgrades. Is there a benefit to fully upgrading non-stat accessories? For example, Sprint Shoes that grant auto-haste. Will there be a bonus to star them aside from the items I would receive from dismantling?

I think you get something for upgrading it all the way, but that's it. Not sure I remember though.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Lufia 2 was fucking great

one of my all-time favorite timeskips in a video game, and an excellent ending to boot. It even has a romance done decently well! (there is a tiny bit of contrivance mind but it's handled pretty well all told)

The game is also an excellent example of the most horseshit puzzles in video gaming.

Dekar was the best Dumb Hero

one time I rented a copy of that and somehow my savefile got bugged

but it was an awesome bug

basically it made Guy jump up about fifty levels

he singlehandedly defeated Gades the first time I encountered him, a fight you're normally supposed to lose

a lesser game might have broken then, but the designers must have figured there'd be some poopsocker out there who'd just grind jellies for a few months so they coded in an alternate resolution to the fight

you win and get a pile of experience and gold, as well as Gades' sword, a weapon for Guy

then he knocks everyone in your party out with magic and gets the fuck out of there

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I really want to finally play Lufia II sometime

it occupies a mythic sort of spot in my memory, being that I never played it but read so much about it in Nintendo Power that I have this weird, expansive-yet-barely-formed sketch of it

its sprite work and lower profile than your FFs and CTs made it seem very mysterious and cool

same with Secret of Evermore

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    it's a really solid game by the standards of the time, and I don't know of any 16-bit JRPGs with better puzzles

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    The Ancient Dungeon was also the perfect rougelike minigame

Lufia II had it all

Shit, it even had monster helpers that evolved

Love me some Lufia II

• Options
    Lufia II was highly underappeciated. The battle system itself was functional and about average for the day, but the dungeons were fantastic. The puzzles were great, and the Ancient Cave was just so much fun to play (beware the level 99 glitch though.)

Secret of Evermore is an odd beast. I disliked it at first because the me of back then expected it to be a lot like Secret of Mana, and there were several places it fell short. On picking it up again a couple of years later, it was a better game, and I'd rate it as "good for the time." It's also not an easy game for most of the game. (There's a couple of weapons you get near endgame that can trivialize it).

• Options
    Damn, "mainstream" reviews really tore into Xillia. Tales never gets any respect.

sig.gif