As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screw the cafeteria, I'm QUILTBAGgin' it today

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    On a serious note though

my best friend is bisexual and it really bothers me how badly treated bisexuality is by people who identify as straight or gay. Especially when it's coming from the 'gay community' (dumb term), I don't get why people aren't trying to promote accepting people as they are.

Edit: And of course trans* folk are in a similar place here, too.

Yep. It's entirely as much bullshit as the way gays and lesbians are treated by everyone else. Except its a minority doing it to an even smaller minority. Even in the trans community we have "normal" trans men and women hating on the queer side for being queer. It's just much bullshit as condemning someone for the color of their skin.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    preemptive apology for generalizing ducks and swans I didn't think before I posted

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    There's a lot of theories about evolutionary benefits to homosexuality (making better uncles/aunts for example) that you could try and send to that guy, interro, but it's probably easier just to curse at him a lot.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Man there are some insanely attractive men and women, and I stare at all of them.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    God I hope the asshole co-worker I sometimes have to suffer isn't around today on my shift. This is the kind of guy who believes that anybody who's trans, especially transwomen, can "never be the gender they aspire to be" from a purely biological standpoint because "they lack a uterus!"

I literally saw red and wanted to punch this motherfucker's lights out as he went on this bigoted tirade.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    ducks and swans are gay as hell

bonobos

Giraffes are the gayest.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »
    I waited until I was 32 to come out as gay. Being raised Catholic is awesome.
    I was pretty depressed when Benedict resigned as opposed to doing us all a favor and dropping dead.

I kinda was annoyed but then everyone focused on how this is the first time in 600 years that the Pope resigned instead of being forcibly retired by his boss, and how it's mostly because of how amazingly hard the dude dropped the ball on pretty much every divisive issue in the Church. So now instead of the polite eulogizing, we're getting "wow, duder sucked harder at his job than anyone in the past 6 centuries. That's mad sucking."

Which is kinda neat.

And to drag this vaguely back on topic, this video made me a little happy but mostly sad for the guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnhsDuj285c

He did say that the Mormon church doctrine will never change

which is way pessimistic because the church did change its policy (officially) on black people taking leadership positions

all the same

nobody should ever be forced to remain celibate
    not even through social pressure

now I'm pissed off
    can't believe that fucking church swallowed nineteen years of my life

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm not so good with the terms but if a pre-op transwoman is dating a woman then uh... what goes on in bed? do they do things the regular way? and do they change things up after the transition operation? it seems very confusing

• Options
    they'll do what they want in bed and its none of your business

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Please correct me if I'm remembering wrong (or link me of I'm right), but wasn't there a recent study done that showed that increased fertility in women led to a higher chance of their sons turning out gay? That would provide an evolutionary explanation for homosexuality in men, at least. Assuming that study was valid and all that.

Also, I feel like people should refrain from arguing about the origins of homosexuality from a genetic/evolutionary standpoint because there is so much we still don't know about genetics and evolution and hormones and shit. Like, just be reasonable and open minded, society.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i'm currently embroiled in an argument with a guy i know about evolutionary psychology and how (as far as i know) it has no explanation for the very existence of LGBTQ individuals

and he just keeps coming back with all this appeal-to-nature pseudoscience garbage and I'm getting so mad
    remind him of homosexuality in the animal kingdom if nothing else

First off, much of evolutionary psychology is highly speculative. So her associate is treating speculation as evidence.
    Second, I strongly disagree with using similar behavior in other animals as evidence for something we do being "natural" and therefore ok.

There are plenty of things other animals do that make sense for their species but that absolutely should not inform our morality. Which then means that you're just cherry picking animal behavior you think sends the right message while distancing yourself from animal behavior that doesn't. So it also becomes a meaningless metric. It wouldn't matter at all if no other animals exhibited homosexual behavior. We're not dogs, or rabbits, or sea slugs. Anyone who tries to make a case for behavior based on how natural it supposedly is or isn't is spectacularly missing the point.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    i'm currently embroiled in an argument with a guy i know about evolutionary psychology and how (as far as i know) it has no explanation for the very existence of LGBTQ individuals

and he just keeps coming back with all this appeal-to-nature pseudoscience garbage and I'm getting so mad

First off, much of evolutionary psychology is highly speculative. So her associate is treating speculation as evidence.
    Second, I strongly disagree with using similar behavior in other animals as evidence for something we do being "natural" and therefore ok.

There are plenty of things other animals do that make sense for their species but that absolutely should not inform our morality. Which then means that you're just cherry picking animal behavior you think sends the right message while distancing yourself from animal behavior that doesn't. So it also becomes a meaningless metric. It wouldn't matter at all if no other animals exhibited homosexual behavior. We're not dogs, or rabbits, or sea slugs. Anyone who tries to make a case for behavior based on how natural it supposedly is or isn't is spectacularly missing the point.

coincidentally, this is the problem i have with evolutionary psychology in general

deriving an un-testable conclusion from a limited set of data and slapping a big stamp on it that reads "REAL SCIENCE" rubs me the wrong way

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't have sex because I'm afraid she'll rip my head off and cannibalise me when we're done.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Druhim wrote: »

coincidentally, this is the problem i have with evolutionary psychology in general

deriving an un-testable conclusion from a limited set of data and slapping a big stamp on it that reads "REAL SCIENCE" rubs me the wrong way

not to mention a majority of the only people left who need to be persuaded on that level are probably fairly unimpressed by "REAL SCIENCE" anyway

if i were building a court case, I'd probably leave the animal humping part out of it

Jasconius on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I don't have sex because I'm scared my lips will melt and then they'll steal my balls.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I don't have sex because she won't rip my head off and cannibalise me when we're done.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm not so good with the terms but if a pre-op transwoman is dating a woman then uh... what goes on in bed? do they do things the regular way? and do they change things up after the transition operation? it seems very confusing

we don't have problems outside my medication, if that helps

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh hey, a QUILTBAG thread

Possibly the coolest acronym ever

At least that I can think of off the top of my head

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, a QUILTBAG thread

Possibly the coolest acronym ever

At least that I can think of off the top of my head
    LASER

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    GBLT was pretty good.

• Options
    I dunno about quiltbag

it's functional but it sounds like an insult a doting grandmother would use

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    satisfaction with the acronym "quiltbag" is mostly a reflection of the joy that they actually managed to find a pronounceable word they could pack all this assorted junk into to the exclusion of (apparently) nobody

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ducks and swans are gay as hell

bonobos

more like bonerbros, rite?
    no

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    oh hey it's jasconius

• Options
    edited February 2013
    scientists and philosophers are already working on SUPERCALIFRAGALISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS.... due to meet the demands of 2050's gender and sexual theory needs

DLC for that one already announced

Jasconius on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    satisfaction with the acronym "quiltbag" is mostly a reflection of the joy that they actually managed to find a pronounceable word they could pack all this assorted junk into to the exclusion of (apparently) nobody
    there's groups that aren't in there (all i can think of off the top of my head is Two-Spirits but i'm not a queer studies person so i'm sure there are others)

• Options
    there's groups that aren't in there (all i can think of off the top of my head is Two-Spirits but i'm not a queer studies person so i'm sure there are others)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia)

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What is two-spirits?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

see above

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    they'll do what they want in bed and its none of your business

It is if they're doing it in my bed.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia)
    that's cool

The Geek wrote: »
    What is two-spirits?
    aboriginal identity - people who feel they have both male and female spirits within them, not the same thing as genderqueer though because it's like both at once or at different times instead of being something in the middle, i think. again, not an expert here lol

• Options

T could also stand for two-spirit

Kink isn't covered, though

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    i think vague umbrella terms like Queer are the way to go and then just be more specific when talking about individuals but i'm a straight white cis dude so i'll defer to people this actually affects obviously

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    Evolution accounts for homosexuality: it's just an off-shoot of bisexuality.

It makes sense that a mutation that encourages you to fuck everything, because while you're fucking people of your own sex, you're also producing lotsa babies. From here it's not terribly surprising that slight twists create people more interested in one sex than the other. If anything heterosexuality is also a weird twist of evolution, because our original ancestor was likely a hermaphroditic protist or whatever.

SO WHY DON'T "THE GAYS" END OUR FRAGILE SPECIES? Because you're always going to have, at any given time, traits that aren't going to be selected. There were hairless animals during cold periods and non-swimmers during wet times. Pure homosexuality (and heterosexuality for that matter) is pretty rare, and who fucking knows how exactly sexuality gets passed on. If straight people carry a "gay gene," but have other strong traits, then the gay gene is going to get passed on. This also ignores the fact that, you know, we're humans and can opt to give evolution the finger while having gay orgies. Evolution is a thing that happens: nobody said it was a process we need to live up to as some kind of fucking standard.

There's also benefits to homosexuality, such as socializing within your species (the community that fucks together...kills bucks together?) and so forth.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kill all garys

• Options
    i like the "gay aunt/uncle" theory (people who don't reproduce still help out their siblings, who they statistically share a shitload of genes with so it still increases their fitness)

• Options
    still dont know how i feel about queer being a reclaimed word

not the hugest fan of its use

• Options
    scientists and philosophers are already working on SUPERCALIFRAGALISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS.... due to meet the demands of 2050's gender and sexual theory needs

DLC for that one already announced

you think this is funny but it's only contributing to the background level of quiet horror faced by those on the fringes of popular society and this statement reflects poorly on you

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Fuck this gary earth.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    i think vague umbrella terms like Queer are the way to go and then just be more specific when talking about individuals but i'm a straight white cis dude so i'll defer to people this actually affects obviously

I've been thinking along the same lines

though, I'm not sure if it's the best option

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.