Options

Screw the cafeteria, I'm QUILTBAGgin' it today

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Jesus was a sub.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How the hell did I miss this thread.

Don't worry everyone, I'm here now.

Because unless you actually read thread titles completely you stopped when you thought it was a thread about food fights in elementary school.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    DDV I desperately, desperately need your opinion re: Gary

His Juri is absolutely infuriating and kinda lame. But he's a super nice guy.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I find this kind of shit hard to get my head around because I pretty much don't have an identity myself. I imagine it's a bit like someone who only sees in monochrome listening to people debate the names for specific colours of the visual spectrum.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    please clear your schedules every caturday to worship our great disinterested catgod

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    Jesus was a sub.

pretty sure jesus was a dominus

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    no, god is dead, i was at the wake and everything.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    he,s gary

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    smof wrote: »
    I think I find this kind of shit hard to get my head around because I pretty much don't have an identity myself. I imagine it's a bit like someone who only sees in monochrome listening to people debate the names for specific colours of the visual spectrum.

The first thing to accept is that your own gender/sexual identity might/will keep shifting while you live. #2 is, you don't have to explain your current preferences/feelings to anyone. #3: All these acronyms and names are meant for people who do not understand the complexity of sex and gendervariation, and the important thing you must do is try to figure out how not to adjust to being a peg trying to go through an established hole.

edited

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

His Juri is absolutely infuriating and kinda lame. But he's a super nice guy.

whateva

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    the second thing to accept is that your human frame is a fragile husk of meat and bone that is in a constant state of decay and that your slow lurch towards expiration, death, and rot cannot be stopped

long live the new flesh

• Options
    wow sorry I don't know what came over me there

have y'all heard about this videodrome thing? it's totally wild

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I'm imagining Gary as like, the saltiest

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    no, god is dead, i was at the wake and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xYQ7L1izU

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    wow sorry I don't know what came over me there

have y'all heard about this videodrome thing? it's totally wild

Whooooo Debby Harry!

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I'd love to live in a world where just 'people' would work and you could specify down from there.

But right now we live in a time where a significant portion of the population (aka number greater than 0) are being at best ignored and at worst oppressed by the general population. So, no there is no acronym that will cover everyone involved, but there has to be something to remind everyone that yes these people exist and yes they may be different from you, but by god they're still people.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    That reminds me.

A while back, I think it was for National Coming Out Day, part of the promotion was to 'come out as an ally'.

And I saw some social-issue bloggers be incredibly vitriolic about it - like, making patronising, sarcastic comments about how brave they were etc. etc. etc. and basically shitting all over it.

And it... really bothered me. Like, okay, coming out as an ally doesn't equate as coming out as any part of the QUILTBAG acronym (or several others). No shit. But there was this assumption that someone who might post something about being an ally automatically thinks that they're being a "special snowflake" (as those bloggers accused), as opposed to simply lending some fucking support. Like yeah, I'm sure there are some straight white cis males who might post something and pat themselves on the back, but who gives a fuck? I think it's far more important to show troubled youths dealing with these issues that there are people who support them.

One of my facebook friends posted something about being an ally today so this was on my mind, and I got angry all over again.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That's terrible.

Seeing that there are other people who aren't like you but do like you is an important thing.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    It baffles me that there are so many different terms, classifications, distinctions, whatever between different forms of sexuality. Who cares! It's just sex.

Well, that would be nice, but as it is, people are routinely imprisoned or even executed for who they have sex with. In the United States alone, more than 40% of homeless minors are youth who were rejected by their family for their sexuality or gender. They end up on the street and a large majority are exploited in one way or another in order to get what they need to survive.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That also baffles me.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Oh hey, cool people thread.

• Options
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

duh

i'm here

of course it is

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Well, now that you're here it is. ;)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

oh

oh I'm sorry I'll just show myself out

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

oh

oh I'm sorry I'll just show myself out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3poU_0sK4

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The reason why "Come out as an Ally" is silly, besides the fact that my fat white heteronormative and male ass doesn't need more coddling, is that you really don't get to just say "Oh oh, I'm an ally." Your actions will be the judge of that, as I know plenty of people who claim to be supportive but will shirk away from any kind of real responsibility. I mean like really barebones shit such as "Don't each at certain chicken joints." which are hardly Herculean Tasks but at least some kind of tiny gesture of sacrifice.

Putting a spotlight on them and handing out a "WAY TO GO" sticker does nothing but reinforce the lazy attitudes of a lot of tepid social progressives that infest the United States. They'll get up on a stage, stroke their ego, and then go back to ironically calling their friends faggots.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The reason why "Come out as an Ally" is silly, besides the fact that my fat white heteronormative and male ass doesn't need more coddling, is that you really don't get to just say "Oh oh, I'm an ally." Your actions will be the judge of that, as I know plenty of people who claim to be supportive but will shirk away from any kind of real responsibility. I mean like really barebones shit such as "Don't each at certain chicken joints." which are hardly Herculean Tasks but at least some kind of tiny gesture of sacrifice.

Putting a spotlight on them and handing out a "WAY TO GO" sticker does nothing but reinforce the lazy attitudes of a lot of tepid social progressives that infest the United States. They'll get up on a stage, stroke their ego, and then go back to ironically calling their friends faggots.

Hnng. I can see that point. I'm just a little torn because I think it's important to have kind of a showing of "gay people are all right" that is as big as possible.

Yeah, I guess torn is the best descriptor. Or ambivalent.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    would "people" work

:arrow:

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I know the Kinsey scale is out of date

But is it out of fashion to just say you're a number on the scale if you happen to fit right in there?

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I'm so sick of the " hey we're all just people maaaaaaaaan"
    It dismissive to other folks identity, and their struggle.

• Options
    I know the Kinsey scale is out of date

But is it out of fashion to just say you're a number on the scale if you happen to fit right in there?

It's a useful descriptor if you have to quantify for some reason.

Though I'd always prefer to say "on a scale of 1 to 10, I am this gay."

Or I would if I felt comfortable calling myself any kind of gay since sexuality's sort of a weird thing for me.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    is this where I come out as a brony

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'm out of the stable guys

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

oh

guess I'll leave then

• Options
    For the record, I don't think you should necessarily shit on people for doing it, but I think the spotlight should be on the people who are actually crusading for rights.

Allies are like, um, roadies. You do a lot of work in the shadows, are still a pretty important player, but you ain't the rock star.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

oh

guess I'll leave then

@Dichotomy already made this joke

Which means he's back in, and you're out

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I'm so sick of the " hey we're all just people maaaaaaaaan"
    It dismissive to other folks identity, and their struggle.

i don't see color, man

they're all just people to me!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I guess the question then is how to let someone know you've got their back without basically tooting your own horn

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Any QUILTBAGgin' Christians in the house?

I was at an event a couple of weeks ago, and there was a pretty sizable contingent of openly gay Christian men there. I was desperately curious to ask them about their experiences, but it seemed a bit of a heavy topic to get into with strangers at a party.

What's it like being a member of a faith where a not-insignificant portion of fellow believers think you fail to live up to the tenets of said faith? Are there people that you feel don't live up to the tenets of the faith? If so, how do you interact with them? Did you come out to the members of your church? How did they take it? Did you need to switch churches? If so, how difficult was it?

Lotta questions! And there might not even be anybody 'round here who has experienced it, but hey, it's worth a shot.

yeah, i venture into the train of prophetic christianity as opposed to the constantinian stuff that's the norm so as far as reconciling the faith i've actually been fine

honestly, my biggest qualms have been with the dipshit atheist and skeptic communities appropriating lgbtq narratives and really, the staunchy anti-religious crowd and the slow motherfuckers that take everything they say as gospel, walking around like they're fuckin jhonen vasquez or something, telling you you cant be queer and believe in a god and you're a traitor or something

c'est la PFFFTfrrt

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
This discussion has been closed.