As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @feral

that does change things, although I'm not sure it affects the argument that US hospitals use ED as a buffer to ward off political desire for cost control, insofar as the response to "the ED dept has been shut due to budgetary concerns" is reliably "please open it again, we'll find some way to work the accounting magic so you get more money".

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The SSORM actually has instructions for how to deal with toilets in the event that the submarine is bottomed out and is without power/reduced power awaiting rescue.

You know what? I approve of this.

It's so gross though. The solution to reduce flushing to the absolute minimum is to have people sprinkle packages of powdered drink mix over the toilet to form a barrier against odor and to not flush until it's about to overflow.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Vertex shaders confuse and arouse me.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Could you imagine going through IR without being versed in Weber or Wallerstein

and these cow-eyed dunces in poli sci depts across the nation go affect the shape of policy prescriptions without even being versed in [Thinkers Of My Choosing Such As Foucault And A Steady Stream of Marxist Thinkers]

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    So the PS4 won't play CD's?

That's weird. Until now I have never seen an optical disc reader that takes discs of the standard size that couldn't play CDs.

Well technically that's still the case with the PS4 console not being shown, but still. :P

if it could play CDs then they could have included PS1 backwards compat instead of charging you again for shitty old PS1 games that you've already paid for separately on several different sony consoles.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Basically all the really terrible submarine disaster scenarios are so bad you hope that you're one of the ones who dies early.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    are military vessels allowed to dump sewage overboard

I can see civilian vessels being subject to that limitation, but military vessels tend to be freed of environmental concerns if it would compromise any other objectives

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Yes this is on the FP of reddit and if it was posted already, I am sorry, but this isn't for points. I just find it fascinating and wonder how correct it is or if it's an oversimplification of graphics over the generations.

ChsSwUE.png

Its true at least on it's theory. Of course it ignores some of the other even more significant advances than simply pushing polygons. The last 5 years or so I'd say the biggest breakthroughs have been made with lighting, particle and texture effects not raw polygon counts.

Weird because you would never even use 6k on that 3rd mesh you would use half of that then use a normal map for all the detals

that a pretty silly comparison.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

vertex shaders I get

geom shaders mildly confuse me

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    You know, my friend is telling me that when/if I get into this MA program I've applied to, it might just wind up turning into a PhD track -- you never know. Thing is, though, I don't really wanna do the academia thing; I wanna do foreign policy in a fed'rull gubmint, IGO/NGO, or think tank context... but apparently that last one also basically requires a PhD as a minimum barrier to entry. I mean, I guess worst comes to worse, I can actually just go and teach... but oh god a 4-6 year doctoral commitment... fml.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

I can see civilian vessels being subject to that limitation, but military vessels tend to be freed of environmental concerns if it would compromise any other objectives

The navy doesn't dump anything unless it is in the middle of the sea and our carrier fleet is "greener" than the civilian cruise industry.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I think civilian vessels are allowed to dump at least gray water in most places.

Military vessels probably have various restrictions (and on a sub that stuff is getting treated and the water reused, I think?) but if it has to happen, the brass isn't going to cry for flipper getting pooped on.

• Options
    edited February 2013

shaders alone were a damn good reason why a new generation of console hardware was long overdue.

They were in a very primitive state back when the 360 and ps3 were being designed.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I saw a picture of an early submarine toilet

it was described as basically requiring an engineer to operate

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

vertex shaders I get

Geometry shaders efficiently solve a problem that I'm not good enough at 3D graphics programming to have encountered in the first place.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Also seriously devs on next gen games I want to see IK solutions for people walking on stairs and slopes. None of this one foot hovering shit

• Options

Surface vessels are supposed to try to offload waste in port to the maximum extent possible. Submarines pump waste overboard, and use biodegradable toilet paper, and have special weighted canisters for trash that ensure they stay on the bottom of the ocean.

And subs haven't been allowed to jettison any plastics or toxics and such for years now.

And obviously subs have area limitations on where they can discharge waste or trash it's not like they hover over the great barrier reef and blast their trash at it while cackling.

• Options
    edited February 2013

vertex shaders I get

Geometry shaders efficiently solve a problem that I'm not good enough at 3D graphics programming to have encountered in the first place.

yeah that basically sums up my relationship with them

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    once I'm on pills I am hella gonna dive into opengl and computer graphics

gonna be a fuck fest

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    You know, my friend is telling me that when/if I get into this MA program I've applied to, it might just wind up turning into a PhD track -- you never know. Thing is, though, I don't really wanna do the academia thing; I wanna do foreign policy in a fed'rull gubmint, IGO/NGO, or think tank context... but apparently that last one also basically requires a PhD as a minimum barrier to entry. I mean, I guess worst comes to worse, I can actually just go and teach... but oh god a 4-6 year doctoral commitment... fml.

Get a PhD. We can be doctor buddies and really annoying about it.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I want to see games designed not to have ledges that are two feet high and impassable. Nope. I am a trained soldier ninja spy cyborg and I can't leap a 2 foot ledge.

Sorry, I realize this is keeping you on a path or whatever, but it is really really grating. I can handle an impassable wall. A 2 foot ledge breaks immersion.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I want to see a cartoon about a supervillain who has very hippie ideals

like, wants to conquer the world

but only buys organic, local plutonium

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    devs i want sexy men

give me dicks aplenty in the ps4

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sarksus wrote: »
    once I'm on pills I am hella gonna dive into opengl and computer graphics

gonna be a fuck fest

I learned the absolute minimum of OpenGL and then wrote some functions and forgot about it.

So I can do 2D stuff easily but don't ask me to explain what the function I'm calling does.

• Options
    devs i want sexy men

give me dicks aplenty in the ps4

you might prefer the DongBox 369

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The SSORM actually has instructions for how to deal with toilets in the event that the submarine is bottomed out and is without power/reduced power awaiting rescue.

You know what? I approve of this.

It's so gross though. The solution to reduce flushing to the absolute minimum is to have people sprinkle packages of powdered drink mix over the toilet to form a barrier against odor and to not flush until it's about to overflow.

would the system fail before or after you run out of breathable atmosphere?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    man, I want to watch season 6 of Doctor Whp

stupid Netflix not having it

• Options
    The poop isn't really a concern the fishes love human poop.

Shrimp going into a feeding frenzy when the sanitary tanks get pumped out. The sonar techs can hear them going nom nom nom.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I want to see a cartoon about a supervillain who has very hippie ideals

like, wants to conquer the world

but only buys organic, local plutonium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEsjd1WZuY

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I want to see games designed not to have ledges that are two feet high and impassable. Nope. I am a trained soldier ninja spy cyborg and I can't leap a 2 foot ledge.

Sorry, I realize this is keeping you on a path or whatever, but it is really really grating. I can handle an impassable wall. A 2 foot ledge breaks immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32uUNUypjYs

Relevant bit at 2:20ish

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Could you imagine going through IR without being versed in Weber or Wallerstein

and these cow-eyed dunces in poli sci depts across the nation go affect policy without even being versed in [Thinkers Of My Choosing Such As Foucault And A Steady Stream of Marxist Thinkers]

Without resorting to Wiki... Wallerstein is a Marxist, right? I think we had a reading on him (which I naturally didn't read) last week for my IR Theories course. But yeah, we basically get all the intellectual backing to these abstract ideas about "realism," "liberalism," and "whatever the fuck constructivism is" very backloaded in our program. I assume they thought it'd be too much too soon to make us take all this at the beginning of our upper-division stuff? The professor doing my Development of IR Thought class (which along with IR Theories make up the exit/"capstone" courses for us as IR majors) pretty much told me she thinks they fucked it up too when I asked her.

That said... while I definitely agree with the idea behind a political philosophy course, I don't necessarily think people in DC or London or Brussels are sitting there on a daily basis thinking "What would Kant do." To be sure, Dead White Guys' contributions to political philosophy definitely can't be understated... but the majority of their contributions are now taken for granted (Hobbes and sovereignty/need for the state; Grotius and natural law that governs states; Kant and democratic peace; etc.) and implicit in the choices of most international actors. We should certainly know what these implicit influences are, but I can also certainly imagine someone going into policymaking at the highest levels without knowing what the difference is between Pufendorf's and Hobbes's view of the need for the state.

• Options
    Shrimp Rings

Getcha Shrimp Rings Here

Organically Grown Shrimp Rings

Fed Only The Finest Poops

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    why not release it slowly over time so there wouldn't be a sonar signal
    or like have it captured as a solid and then released as a solid so it would sink real far away

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    nobody wants the 3ds

how are used ones still so expensive

• Options
    edited February 2013

How about a game where you can jump over the walls but there's nothing out there but a big flat plane. Eventually, the player character turns to face the screen with tears in his eyes. Why did you do this? Why couldn't you let him have the illusion? And then he takes his own life.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    why not release it slowly over time so there wouldn't be a sonar signal
    or like have it captured as a solid and then released as a solid so it would sink real far away

yeah, always have it pooping a little

like a prolapsed bum

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Wazilla on duolingo.

Shame me into learning, plz.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    just got the advertisement / trailer for that new bungie game on youtube. I actually sat through 3 minutes of it after the "skip" button lit up.

Was thinking "wow, that concept art looks nice. For the plot they stole from and then expanded on Homeworld and that ain't no bad thing. Steal from the good games people. Hey neat spaceships. Oh. It's an FPS. bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeech." *presses skip*

it was like 3 minutes of cool stuff then they showed the actual game and it's just another Halo.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    The Banksy Arrest story was, indeed, a fake

• Options
    The Banksy Arrest story was, indeed, a fake

you mean the story no one reported on but some obscure news site?

seemed legit

This discussion has been closed.