As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Antilago[chat]ic

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    oh man Heavy Rain's ending. I liked mine because I fucked up half of it and half the cast died, but it still had a silver lining so it worked out really well.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Good video game endings:

uh

DAO wasn't bad. DAA wasn't bad either. System Shock 2?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The ending of Borderlands 1 was slightly better than getting poop in your mouth.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    dead space 1 had a pretty decent ending

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Watchmen was fucking awful

I liked their change to the ending

That is it

we agree about the ending. it was a necessary change IMO, and excising the whole island of artists/ doomed freighter subplot was also the right move.

i liked the rest of it, though, so i guess we part company on this on in general.

You disappoint me will

And liking the ME3 ending?

You're just a hot mess

i guess i didn't really see the issue with the ME3 ending overall. it was way above par for a sci-fi movie conclusion and i don't really feel like the game devs had to lovingly craft a personal conclusion for just me and no one else.

it's like finishing mario world and being like NO MY MARIO WOULD NEVER PULL A FLAG DOWN A POLE THIS IS BULLSHIT FGHTYASDFJKHSD

It was below par for any kind of good writing

Did you see Jacob's great post about how the ending is a failure? It's pretty spot on. They (the separate writer who wrote the lame intro section as well) shoehorned in a bunch of poorly developed ideas, made a bunch of grand claims about the nature of galactic events that you basically just completely disproved, and gave you three totally bonkers ending cut scenes that make no sense (especially green, seriously what?). And as Jeep said they try to force you out of picking red by adding a cheap caveat.

Bad science fiction, and bad writing. I'm not really concerned about the lack of personalization because the whole game was a personalized ending to a bunch of threads.

maybe i read jake's post? do you have a link to it? i always like hearing what he has to say about these sorts of things.

my sense of where the ending felt lacking was mostly that they focused on one particular theme (the coexistence of organic & robots) to the exclusion of the many other themes that they'd cultivated. still, the ending they chose - that the central goal of the reapers was to curate and prune organic life before it completely extincted itself - ended up making what seemed like a completely ridiculous conclusion to ME2 kind of make sense. i didn't really walk away feeling like there was some burning thread or theme that i needed to be further developed. i guess that seems like a decent conclusion.

i mean it did end up with a big old deus ex machina, right? but most sci-fi seems to. people weren't throwing chairs at the end of 2001

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156984/awesome-mass-effect-3-there-goes-the-neighborhood-by-jacobkosh/p1

It felt to me like the ending was from a completely different story, like a bad silly trippy 60s sci fi movie

Or.... a Piers Anthony novel.

so reading jake's take, i think he has reasonable objections

but i'd still put it in the top ten video game endings. it's maybe not the most competitive field.

this part is absolutely true

I dunno why so many games - even ones that are actually reasonably well-written - can't seem to stick the landing

rRwz9.gif
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    oh man Heavy Rain's ending. I liked mine because I fucked up half of it and half the cast died, but it still had a silver lining so it worked out really well.

Heavy Rains ending is undermined by the big reveal

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    somebody, kill yourself and dedicate your death and the power of it to me. I need it to survive this day.

Well, you asked nicely ...

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    The ending of Borderlands 1 was slightly better than getting poop in your mouth.

I get why people complained but I liked it. It wasn't amazing but I liked the whole vault not what you think it is thing.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    i havent finished heavy rain so NO SPOILERTH

saying it has a twist isn't a spoiler because i'm not a brittle, ridiculous person

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    When I was knee high to a goomba, all video games ended with "congratulations" or " The End"

Sometimes both!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

That is it

we agree about the ending. it was a necessary change IMO, and excising the whole island of artists/ doomed freighter subplot was also the right move.

i liked the rest of it, though, so i guess we part company on this on in general.

You disappoint me will

You're just a hot mess

i guess i didn't really see the issue with the ME3 ending overall. it was way above par for a sci-fi movie conclusion and i don't really feel like the game devs had to lovingly craft a personal conclusion for just me and no one else.

it's like finishing mario world and being like NO MY MARIO WOULD NEVER PULL A FLAG DOWN A POLE THIS IS BULLSHIT FGHTYASDFJKHSD

Did you see Jacob's great post about how the ending is a failure? It's pretty spot on. They (the separate writer who wrote the lame intro section as well) shoehorned in a bunch of poorly developed ideas, made a bunch of grand claims about the nature of galactic events that you basically just completely disproved, and gave you three totally bonkers ending cut scenes that make no sense (especially green, seriously what?). And as Jeep said they try to force you out of picking red by adding a cheap caveat.

Bad science fiction, and bad writing. I'm not really concerned about the lack of personalization because the whole game was a personalized ending to a bunch of threads.

maybe i read jake's post? do you have a link to it? i always like hearing what he has to say about these sorts of things.

my sense of where the ending felt lacking was mostly that they focused on one particular theme (the coexistence of organic & robots) to the exclusion of the many other themes that they'd cultivated. still, the ending they chose - that the central goal of the reapers was to curate and prune organic life before it completely extincted itself - ended up making what seemed like a completely ridiculous conclusion to ME2 kind of make sense. i didn't really walk away feeling like there was some burning thread or theme that i needed to be further developed. i guess that seems like a decent conclusion.

i mean it did end up with a big old deus ex machina, right? but most sci-fi seems to. people weren't throwing chairs at the end of 2001

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156984/awesome-mass-effect-3-there-goes-the-neighborhood-by-jacobkosh/p1

It felt to me like the ending was from a completely different story, like a bad silly trippy 60s sci fi movie

but i'd still put it in the top ten video game endings. it's maybe not the most competitive field.

I dunno why so many games - even ones that are actually reasonably well-written - can't seem to stick the landing

My theory is that games are under tremendous pressure to ship, parts of the middle of the story get cut so a lavish, elaborate ending can't really even be planned, and few players or even reviewers make it to the end so it's not worth the effort.

i thought bioshock's 2 endings were simple but reasonably good

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Good video game endings:

uh

Metal Gear Solid ending was alright

Shadows of the Colossus was neat

Half Life 2 ep 3.

Portal

There's probably more.

Hitman Blood Money.

Braid's final level, as an ending

Darksiders, surprisingly

FF6

Chronotrigger

Batman AA wasn't bad

Mark of the Ninja, since it is a perfect game

Red Dead Redemption ended well.

Sleeping dogs was okay.

I think video games by their current nature of constant climax makes sticking the ending hard. Not that it can't be done it is just more difficult.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

That is it

You disappoint me will

You're just a hot mess

I think it's just because endings are hard. Even novelists have trouble with them and their entire shtick is writing! Videogames are a medium that still have no idea how to properly incorporate the concept of 'writing' and compared to a novelist writing takes a backseat to most aspects of game development.

metal gear solid 3 had such a goofy awesome ending

if you count the last fight as the end

Good call on Red Dead Redemption. Your list too, EM.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    Bastion did have an excellent ending

MGS3, dumb as those games are

Portal and Portal 2 both had pretty good endings, but they aren't exactly story driven games. You need to escape from the crazy death factory. -> You escape from the crazy death factory.

metal gear solid 3 had such a goofy awesome ending

if you count the last fight as the end

And then MGS4 ended more times than the entire lord of the rings trilogy.

I was all
    STOP TALKING AND FUCKING SHOOT YOURSELF

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    I only play games I really enjoy to completion.

Most games I play until bored then shelve it.

Darksiders ending was perfect for the game but I wouldn't say on it's own it holds up.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited February 2013
    FF6 is the textbook example of how to do a grand, sweeping crowd pleaser ending

Dramatic resolution in spades

Too bad final fantasy is just awful now

Evil Multifarious on
    I HAVE ORDERED MIGS TO BOMB THIS AREA IN 5 MINUTES

LET THIS BE THE GREATEST BATTLE EITHER OF US HAS EVER FOUGHT

*cue theme music*

FF6 is the textbook example of how to do a grand, sweeping crowd pleaser ending

Dramatic resolution in spades

Too bad final fantasy is just awful now

6 is the best one in general

Anyone who disagrees is hitler

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    homeworld had great everything so it probably had a great ending I don't quite remember it

Mazzyx wrote: »
    Darksiders ending was perfect for the game but I wouldn't say on it's own it holds up.

It holds up on the strength of

"I CHOOSE NOW WHAT A COWARD ONCE DID NOT."

that was an unexpectedly perfect line.

If Fallout 3 ended with the big robot battle, it would have been rad.

okay gonna try to sleep. night chat.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Man FFVI was a masterpiece for the time

I'm not sure I could stick it through all the way today but it was my favourite game overall for a long-ass time after I'd played it

Rear Admiral Choco on
    You know what had a great ending? Castlevania Lords of Shadow. That game went totally bonkers but it worked.

The epilogue especially was pretty wtf.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Portal and Portal 2 both had pretty good endings, but they aren't exactly story driven games. You need to escape from the crazy death factory. -> You escape from the crazy death factory.

I liked the Portal games specifically because it doesn't try and force a thick narrative over the game. It's common for games these days to basically mimic movies and give you a start-to-finish story full of shit to keep track of. The Portals were about experiencing something and being given just enough information to understand the context of what you were doing.

This isn't really in the same vein, but katamari damacy's final level was the best part

Mazzyx wrote: »

It holds up on the strength of

"I CHOOSE NOW WHAT A COWARD ONCE DID NOT."

that was an unexpectedly perfect line.

gonna have to play this at some point

looks like grimdark zelda and I like joe mad art

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    How did Fallout 3 end originally? I picked it up with the some DLC package and when I heard how pissed people were about the ending, I figured I must have played something different.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    resident evil 4 had a great ending
    the jetski out of a collapsing cave

then the president's daughter wants to bone leon but he says no

then he makes a pass at boring radio lady and she shuts him down

the end

How did Fallout 3 end originally? I picked it up with the some DLC package and when I heard how pissed people were about the ending, I figured I must have played something different.
    Haha the original ending is hilariously awful

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    you just die

you go in and push a button and then you die

that said, broken steel was terrible, so i'm not sure the original ending is really worse

This discussion has been closed.