As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Antilago[chat]ic

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    pandacraft is fun

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    heh

i found out something crazy today, since Putin resumed patrols of strategic bombers in 2007 (i didn't know he'd done that), the US has scrambled fighters to intercept them in US airspace on several occasions, including this month

that's some crazy cold war type shit there

It's happened a few times from RAF Leuchars as well in the last couple of years.

Same for us. It would be rude not to scramble.

More rude than interrupting the marshmallow-roasting campfire sing-along that your elite pilots were probably engaged in at the time?

Russia has always been that sorta boorish and slightly abrasive neighbour that for some reason thinks we're friends. Politeness isn't something to expect from them.

ftOqU21.png
    Lmsz4hkI4BlTEhxhr33H0AiS7NKkoU3bgbbEGWQu2myg.jpg

russian military flights in 2007

ftOqU21.png
    healer was being awful, made up wipe

tank: "i've done this 8 times today and not wiped before"
    me: "maybe you should go outside me"

nothing else said for rest of run

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think it is less a provocative measure and more Russia can actually afford to put fuel in its planes again.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    shake ya ass

watch ya self

poo
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

fantastic

and thanks to money grubbing contractors and a couple of incredibly lousy governments our military is at the weakest it's been in...

i can't think of a time in recent history when we've been this weak relatively speaking

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I think it is less a provocative measure and more Russia can actually afford to put fuel in its planes again.

It can be two things.

Realistically it is probably just to probe the maximum approach they can get away with without being detected.

edited February 2013
    wait did shake ya ass really come out in 1990
    when i was 3 years old

edit: no this website is wrong it was 2000 i was like wtf

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo

yeah, it's entirely undramatic. They're not over territorial waters. We still scramble and identify them most of the time because, hey, response time training, as well as it being useful to know where planes are, for civilian traffic control.

ftOqU21.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Orbiting bombers around Guam on the 4th of July, though.

That just pisses me off.

Which, of course, it is meant to.

Lh96QHG.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    wait did shake ya ass really come out in 1990
    when i was 3 years old

when did it reach it's next stage of "smack that"

fantastic

and thanks to money grubbing contractors and a couple of incredibly lousy governments our military is at the weakest it's been in...

i can't think of a time in recent history when we've been this weak relatively speaking

you really don't have to worry.

ftOqU21.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    desc I am going to be in cali next weekend

<<

>>

skippydumptruck

o rly

I could potentially take a train to see you or summat

k

that would be funsies :3

@skippydumptruck

yeah the purpose is much the same as in soviet times - probing NATO detection and response times.

but resuming them is mostly about putin going "we're back, bitches!"

ftOqU21.png

fantastic

you really don't have to worry.

For now.

Muahahahahahahahahaaha

Lh96QHG.png
    oh

thats why mystikal disappeared for a decade
    Michael "Mystikal" Tyler pleaded guilty to sexual battery and extortion. On January 15, 2004, Tyler was sentenced to 6 years in state prison after pleading guilty to forcing his hairstylist to perform sex acts. He also admitted to extortion. The rapper and two bodyguards forced the woman to perform oral sex, and accused her of stealing $80,000 in checks.As part of a plea bargain, all three pleaded guilty. Tyler initially held firm that the incident was consensual.
    and then served more time for tax evasion

poo
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Russia is a has been that likes to pretend he is making a come back.

fantastic

The tabloids were keen to make a fuss at the time about the fact that Leuchars (the base from which we are presently scrambling interceptors) is scheduled to be closed. There won't be any fewer aircraft though, because the squadrons operating from Leuchars will move to Lossiemouth, which is further north, and in principle, a better place to base interceptors. The only reason we launch interceptors from Leuchars at the moment is that it has Typhoons and Lossiemouth has due-for-retirement Tornadoes.

the armed forces notes that the russians are maintaining a good level of practice, with a decent amount of complex maneuvers involving air-to-air tanking and etc etc, in a sorta, "Neighbour's been biking to work a lot recently. Good for him." kind of tone.

liG4ak2LNj6Gc1J86qCFKwhFtQRQx1pDMjQfg9n3OdFA.jpg

also this guy has a nice beard

ftOqU21.png
    oh

Michael "Mystikal" Tyler pleaded guilty to sexual battery and extortion. On January 15, 2004, Tyler was sentenced to 6 years in state prison after pleading guilty to forcing his hairstylist to perform sex acts. He also admitted to extortion. The rapper and two bodyguards forced the woman to perform oral sex, and accused her of stealing $80,000 in checks.As part of a plea bargain, all three pleaded guilty. Tyler initially held firm that the incident was consensual.

is he making more music now or something?

@skippydumptruck where are you staying anyway

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    oh

Guess someone didn't watch himself.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Tav wrote: »
    oh

is he making more music now or something?

apparently he made this song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMnTh4Xb8A

sum james brown shit

o and mystikal went back to jail in 2012 for 90 days for domestic abuse while on probation

gj mystikal

poo
    registered sex offender mystikal

poo
    he seems like a cool dude

i hope he can dance well enough for the music industry to forgive him

the grammys need more people like him

this new mystikal song sounds as bad as his old songs

fantastic

The tabloids were keen to make a fuss at the time about the fact that Leuchars (the base from which we are presently scrambling interceptors) is scheduled to be closed. There won't be any fewer aircraft though, because the squadrons operating from Leuchars will move to Lossiemouth, which is further north, and in principle, a better place to base interceptors. The only reason we launch interceptors from Leuchars at the moment is that it has Typhoons and Lossiemouth has due-for-retirement Tornadoes.

oh, much the same here, with the closing of one base and making them into one big base. That's mostly the locals around there saying so, though, so it's just a bit laughable when they pretend their argument is defence-related.

ftOqU21.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Guam is completely infested with huge spiders now.

I say the next time Russia starts circling it we invite them down, get them drunk and then sneak away in the middle of the night leaving a note saying "It's your problem now suckas!"

edited February 2013

UP HERE IN SPACE

IM LOOKIN DOWN ON YOU

MY LASERS TRACE

EVERYTHING YOU DO

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    You should be able to have a kid to see if you like it, and if you don't you should be able to sell it to gypsies or put it in a recycling bin or something.

This is kind of what nieces and nephews are for, I think.

No they are for spoiling the shit out of in order to annoy your siblings. It's the greatest.

reading various old articles about russian bombers.

apparently russia did bitch a little about one time norwegian and british fighters intercepted them in the north ice sea

ftOqU21.png
    Bahahaha Guam.

Prolly never gonna go back there.

fantastic

oh, much the same here, with the closing of one base and making them into one big base. That's mostly the locals around there saying so, though, so it's just a bit laughable when they pretend their argument is defence-related.

Actually the idea here is that the Tornadoes will be retired and not replaced, and the currently operating Typhoons will move. The basis for the decision was not so much the operating cost as the cost of purchasing new aircraft.

However, the deal for the manufacturing of Typhoons is structured such that we might as well buy a lot more Typhoons than was originally planned, so it turns out we might carry on operating both bases anyway.

other reasons for resuming the flights now, in addition to showing (to russians mostly) that russia is getting back in shape, is that they may have been afraid of the air force losing the competence to perform these quite complex maneuvers involving fighters and bombers and tankers and etc etc etc

ftOqU21.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Guam is a bad place.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/16/spiders-take-control-as-birds-fade-from-guam/

I'm sure all those "biodiversity doesn't matter" people will enjoy living in spider-ridden hellscapes.

Personally, I hope to be dead before it happens.

Regina Fong on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    skippydumptruck where are you staying anyway

@desc san diego for work

I fly in on Thurs night, and then stay over the weekend through the next week

there's a train or something that takes me up to you right?

Oh God.

Spiders replacing birds.

They're going to evolve insectile wings and start attacking people.

GOD DAMMIT @ARCH THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

fantastic

Actually the idea here is that the Tornadoes will be retired and not replaced, and the currently operating Typhoons will move. The basis for the decision was not so much the operating cost as the cost of purchasing new aircraft.

However, the deal for the manufacturing of Typhoons is structured such that we might as well buy a lot more Typhoons than was originally planned, so it turns out we might carry on operating both bases anyway.

the joining of the bases was, mostly I think, part of the military-wide move away from the scattered camp/base structure of the cold war to fewer but far better bases. Has a lot of benefits to not have your military in a thousand pieces in camps that are three barracks, a fence, and forest.

ftOqU21.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Biodiversity is one of those things I know has a lot of benefits but can never explain the benefits without look them up.

This discussion has been closed.