As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] The Extraordinaries (Discussion Thread)

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    looking over the sheet again, I realize that two-fisted shooter is extraneous with my level 11 Cloaked Sniper ability

how's this?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    looking over the sheet again, I realize that two-fisted shooter is extraneous with my level 11 Cloaked Sniper ability

how's this?

Crossbow Expertise and Weapon Expertise (Crossbow) both give "feat" bonuses.

Which means they can't stack.

So the latter feat is completely useless.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    well, dang

but this is why I'm asking for advice!

I'll look at more utility stuff, then

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cunning Stalker: You gain combat advantage against enemies that have no creatures adjacent to them other than you.

@Denada would you rule that an enemy with no creatures adjacent meets the criteria of this rule? It's been debated back and forth since the feat was published, the consensus is "Ask your DM"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'll allow it for creatures that are alone. I can see how it can go both ways, but I'm choosing to read it as "You gain combat advantage against enemies that have no creatures adjacent to them, or that are adjacent only to you."

• Options
    This daft punk says One more time

decided to with low light vision because I need to be a more versatile bolt slinger

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I realize this character is heavily cover dependent, but I'm okay with that

edit: and she's, like, 7 feet tall

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

She's just really inconspicuous.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Muleback harness?
    Thats_Racist_Pink.gif

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    ain't nobody of average height on this team

either big or small

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    ain't nobody of average height on this team

either big or small

Dubh's character could probably carry Zeel around in a purse.

Like a tiny dog that can punch you with fire.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Muleback harness?
    Thats_Racist_Pink.gif

yeah, I fixed this a minute ago

kept forgetting to change to it

I tossed in gloves of piercing and called it a day

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    potential source of inter-party conflict: one member owns a pet dog, one member is literally a cat

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

She's just really inconspicuous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I imagined Zeel riding on Waera's shoulders

then this song came to mind

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Funny thing, I have a power called Living Fortress. After I use it, for the remainder of the encounter, myself and any ally adjacent to me are considered to have cover.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    well that is just prime

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    tweaked my character sheet: just changed my multiclass skill training and bought some more reagents, apart from that I think I'm good to go

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ooooo

another ranged-person

I should look at everyone else's sheet as well

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

So I retooled this a bit, since posting it. could use a critiquing.

From an outsider's perspective, I'd probably looks into dropping Skill Training (Dungeoneering) and picking up a background that gives you the same thing (the ability to pick Dungeoneering as a class skill) so that it frees you up a feat for something that has a bit more heft.

Though you'd likely have to move some trainings around to take advantage of it, depending.

I glanced through the backgrounds, but I noticed that the eberron ones don't explicitly say that they add skill to skill lists, rather that they are "associated with" a couple skills then named.

Is that basically the same thing as the others, just worded stupidly?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Because I'm bored, I dug for fun facts about the cast of Extraordinaires

-Nobody has an intelligence score over 11 ( with a tight gap, bottoming at 9)
    -Nobody has a dexterity score below 16
    -Everybody except Waera has an extra origin/race
    -Everyone but Thorfin has perception as a trained skill
    -Everybody but Thorfin has a Good alignment
    -Thorfin DOES have the highest possible skill roll, with Endurance at +19
    -Zeel is about half as tall as Waera, and about 20% the weight
    -Zeel, with the stubbiest legs in the party, is also the fastest
    -Nobody has trained in Arcana, Bluff, or History
    -Gleam is the only party member trained with any knowledge skills (Nature and Religion)
    -Oh, that fucking Thorfin guy has Dungeoneering. Thorfin.
    -Rusty has the highest average defenses at 24.25

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Who needs bluff, when you got bravado!

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    This is gonna be so great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    -Gleam is the only party member trained with any knowledge skills (Nature and Religion)

*pushes glasses up*

Um, actually, Zeel trained Dugeoneering.

Also, I may try to find a way to get History as a trained skill, simply because the flavor fits (and I do like having knowledge skills).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Thorfin's got Dungeoneering too.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Also, I can't actually access the character builder now, because WotC's site is fucked up and giving me errors when I try to load it.

I thought I might be able to fix it by logging out and then back in, but I can't even log out.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Okay, updated my sheet.

Only two changes: switched out the Trap-related feat for a Skald multiclass, which then let me take history. It also gave me a healing aura, which should be helpful.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Oh, sure, only talk about the mistakes

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I do love the idea that we've all got pretty average intelligence.

And also the mental image of the smallest member of the party outrunning all of them. My little lizard legs doing the whole Road Runner thing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    intelligence? arcana? history? we don't learn history, we make it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My character would have had high Intelligence and training in Arcana. 8->

(Can't wait for you guys to start playing.)

• Options
    Because I'm bored, I dug for fun facts about the cast of Extraordinaires

-Nobody has an intelligence score over 11 ( with a tight gap, bottoming at 9)
    -Nobody has a dexterity score below 16
    -Everybody except Waera has an extra origin/race
    -Everyone but Thorfin has perception as a trained skill
    -Everybody but Thorfin has a Good alignment
    -Thorfin DOES have the highest possible skill roll, with Endurance at +19
    -Zeel is about half as tall as Waera, and about 20% the weight
    -Zeel, with the stubbiest legs in the party, is also the fastest
    -Nobody has trained in Arcana, Bluff, or History
    -Oh, that fucking Thorfin guy has Dungeoneering. Thorfin.
    -Rusty has the highest average defenses at 24.25

This is actually really useful information for me.

• Options
    in order to save the kingdom, the extraordinaries must undertake their most difficult mission yet

a research project at the library!!

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    The final battle is Zeel trying to ride a roller coaster while the rest of you have to do math problems.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Mechanical assessments:

-ACs range from 27 down to 23. This is on part with monsters of level 15 (high level artillery/brute) down to 7 (low level soldier). On average, an at level monster will have at least a 50% chance to hit (roll a 10+ and adding level + 5).

-Non-Armored Defenses (NADs) are a much wider range
    --Fortitude ranges from 26 to 18. This is on par with monsters level 14 to 7, and an at level monster will hit at least 45% of the time
    --Reflex is a tighter range, from 24 down to 20. This is on par with monsters level 12 to 8, and an at level monster will hit at least 55% of the time.
    --Will is also close, ranging from 24 down to 19. This is on part with monsters level 12 to 7, and again an at level monster will hit at least 55% of the time.

-At-will attacks vs AC are the most common (6 out of 11). Bonuses are between 18 and 15. Average at-level monster AC is 25, so these will hit at least 55% of the time.
    -At-will attacks vs Reflex are the next most common (3 out of 11). Bonuses are between 14 and 12. Average at-level monster Reflex is 23, so these will hit at least 45% of the time.
    -Thorfin can also attack either Fortitude or Will, with a bonuses of 15. This will hit an at-level monster (23) about 65% of the time.

-Battlemind's Demand and Psychic Lock allow Thorfin to provide up to a -4 penalty to monsters attempting to hit his allies, decreasing their hit chance by 20 percentage points.
    -Most characters have bonuses to saving throws, and Zeel also has Resist 15 fire. Zeel is the only party member with any natural resistances.

Difficulty-wise, high level monsters will be at significant advantage over the PCs, while lower level monsters will be only slightly outmatched. High level encounters built using more, lower level monsters will provide a better challenge over encounters with fewer, higher level monsters (this fact is actually pretty common). High level artillery that attack Fortitude will be very dangerous to the party, while soldiers will be the hardest to defeat (again this is common).

I didn't look at all the items and how they affect things, some items may provide other bonuses to hit.

Rusty is sporting a number of items from the charge kit, suggesting he will likely have the highest damage potential, though Lt Waera and Zeel will both have an easier time focusing their attacks against a single target.

Tox on
  • Options
    in order to save the kingdom, the extraordinaries must undertake their most difficult mission yet

"Wait, guys, don't submit it! We need at least three primary sources, not two!"

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    There's some bizarro universe where the Extraordinaires are a group of academics trying to solve pertinent political and philosophical issues of the time

except for the Zeel, he's the jock

the campaign ends when we all die of old age, having left no substantial intellectual contributions for our home countries

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Every failed skill check is an improperly cited source.

• Options

"Wait, guys, don't submit it! We need at least three primary sources, not two!"

"Uh...did we remember to have a control group?"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Rusty does absolutely terrifying damage on a charge