As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Galaga [chat]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, gonna study some, then have my Revengeance in Mehico.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "What is 'au poivre?' is the correct answer. We would have also accepted 'peppercorn cream sauce.' Sorry, you lose the Daily Double."

Atomika on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Casual wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Huzzah! I am tipsy. Who wants to talk to an Englishman slowly sliding down the bar into a sitting position he will pretend he was aiming for all along?

you would be an awesome person to get drunk with Bogart

no question about that

I WILL FIGHT YOU AND TEN MEN BESIDES.

now I love you like a brother and will cry and tell you a sad story of my youth.

NOW WE DRINK SOME MORE AND TALK SHIT ABOUT THE FRENCH.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I just had chinese food from the grocery store. It was delicious. I deeply regret it.

Did you get tuna?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Udina was terribly written. Like, he was a caricature, not a character.

Probably, to me, the worst part of the first Mass Effect.

Yes.

Considering the sort of charismatic politicians humanity has generated over the course of history, the idea that when we find ourselves in a galactic community we would choose a priggish, paranoid, sleazy, uncharismatic, openly adversarial goon to represent all of humanity is far fetched at best.

Unless Republicans took over the alliance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Bolton

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    arrogant bastard ale

is kinda an ass kicker

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    arrogant bastard ale

is kinda an ass kicker

did you think you could handle it

that's so

arrogant

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm liking finally having ME1 to play for my PS3. Now I can install Anderson as Councillor and kill off Kaiden with impunity.

It almost makes up for how bad ME1 is compared to the other two games.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Huzzah! I am tipsy. Who wants to talk to an Englishman slowly sliding down the bar into a sitting position he will pretend he was aiming for all along?

no question about that

I can vouch for this.

I have got drunk with Bogart and, like a gentleman, he only stole one of my kidneys.

It's a shame it was the good one, though.

one of these days i'll have to storm through the wall and pay you lot a visit

then we can make this happen

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Udina was terribly written. Like, he was a caricature, not a character.

Probably, to me, the worst part of the first Mass Effect.

Yes.

Considering the sort of charismatic politicians humanity has generated over the course of history, the idea that when we find ourselves in a galactic community we would choose a priggish, paranoid, sleazy, uncharismatic, openly adversarial goon to represent all of humanity is far fetched at best.

Unless Republicans took over the alliance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Bolton

I'm hoping he was an aberration.

Bush didn't for the most part choose deliberately inappropriate people to fill ambassador roles.

Although he and every other president has been bad about cronyism.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    today was fucking horrible

poo
  • Options

no question about that

I WILL FIGHT YOU AND TEN MEN BESIDES.

now I love you like a brother and will cry and tell you a sad story of my youth.

NOW WE DRINK SOME MORE AND TALK SHIT ABOUT THE FRENCH.

all of this

this all has to happen

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I just had chinese food from the grocery store. It was delicious. I deeply regret it.

Did you get tuna?

No, was I supposed to? ... Is tuna a Chinese thing that I don't know about?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Today was a good day for Englishmen wanting to talk shit about the French.

• Options

Did you get tuna?

No, was I supposed to? ... Is tuna a Chinese thing that I don't know about?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/59-of-the-tuna-americans-eat-is-not-tuna/273410/

• Options
    Kaidan is fine as long as you're romancing him. I don't know why BW thought it would be cool to make characters who have an 'asshole' toggle switch that is only triggered by the romance flag.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Look, if Republicans are in control of the world at first contact, there won't be any Alliance. There will be intergalactic war.

And humanity would be crushed.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    1 recruit lost, four others injured.

So basically, perfect mission. I got all the equipment back.

Recruits are a dime a dozen.

Or, well, ten simoleons per person.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Look, if Republicans are in control of the world at first contact, there won't be any Alliance. There will be intergalactic war.

Technology implies belligerence.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    1 recruit lost, four others injured.

So basically, perfect mission. I got all the equipment back.

Recruits are a dime a dozen.

Or, well, ten simoleons per person.

That recruit gave their life to save the planet from an alien scourge and 'recruits are a dime a dozen'?

You don't deserve to lead....Commander.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

"If you come in peace, surrender or be destroyed. If you're here to make war, we surrender." - President Truman

• Options

There's a scene in the film Contact where there are a bunch of politicians arguing about whether someone should be sent to speak to the aliens, and who that should be.

And there's this one guy who's against the whole thing and at one point shouts "We don't even know if these aliens believe in god!"

It was kind of a revelatory moment for me, because I suddenly realised "Holy shit there are people that will actually say that if this ever happens".

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

"If you come in peace, surrender or be destroyed. If you're here to make war, we surrender." - President Truman

wasnt that Zapp Branigan?

• Options
    I am eating real pasta tonight

not fake 'wheat' pasta made out of who knows what

• Options
    edited February 2013

There's a scene in the film Contact where there are a bunch of politicians arguing about whether someone should be sent to speak to the aliens, and who that should be.

And there's this one guy who's against the whole thing and at one point shouts "We don't even know if these aliens believe in god!"

It was kind of a revelatory moment for me, because I suddenly realised "Holy shit there are people that will actually say that if this ever happens".

My thing is, the power base of conservatism in the west can't stand anyone who is not utterly white. You think they won't shoot first when they see something with antennae? An alien could speak perfect English, saying, "We have journeyed from afar to bring you great gifts of technology and knowledge." and the only response would be "Raaaaaaaagh die inhuman monster!"

Nova_C on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Surprisingly, no

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

They both use nukes and/or huge lasers the second they're available, so.

• Options

Surprisingly, no

yeah, now i remember

you're right

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

There was intergalactic war in Mass Effect. That's how the humans met their first aliens. The Turians attacked a human colony and blew up some human ships and thought that was it. The whole human fleet beat them back and forced them out of human space. The Council had to step in and allow the humans to have a seat on The Citadel to keep the peace.

Limp-wristed hippie liberals would have given the Turians the colony and made humanity into the Volus 2.0.

• Options

My thing is, the power base of conservatism in the west can't stand anyone who is not utterly white. You think they won't shoot first when they see something with antennae? An alien could speak perfect English, saying, "We have journeyed from afar to bring you great gifts of technology and knowledge." and the only response would be "Raaaaaaaagh die inhuman monster!"
    Beware of space Greeks bearing gifts.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

There was intergalactic war in Mass Effect. That's how the humans met their first aliens. The Turians attacked a human colony and blew up some human ships and thought that was it. The whole human fleet beat them back and forced them out of human space. The Council had to step in and allow the humans to have a seat on The Citadel to keep the peace.

Limp-wristed hippie liberals would have given the Turians the colony and made humanity into the Volus 2.0.

all this assumes we're on anything approaching a level playing field technologically if/when we meet aliens

• Options
    i ordered a burrito an hr and a half ago. i called 20 mins ago to ask where it was. they said it'd be here soon. then i called again just now, and yeah, seems someone fucked up or grabbed my burrito or something, so now they're sending me another

poo
  • Options
    you know, on top of working 7 hrs on a saturday

poo
  • Options

It's interesting. I really haven't been motivated enough to get into the history of Mass Effect's world. Was Turian technology really not that much better than human tech?

• Options
    you know, on top of working 7 hrs on a saturday

organichu didn't have this problem

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    today was fucking horrible

there's only way to save it now

snowboard trip

• Options
    oh man this girl on House Hunters is like

I BROKE TWO NAILS WHEN I OPENED A DOOR

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    getting tired of the "get spotted, play short cutscene, skitter off" thing of the aliens.

You've done it, now. A lot. So now you can stop. Just... stand where you're going to stand, and we can get on with this.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

It's interesting. I really haven't been motivated enough to get into the history of Mass Effect's world. Was Turian technology really not that much better than human tech?

Part of the series lore is that the races got a technological bump by discovering and studying prothean technology, so it's not that far-fetched to think that the technological disparity wouldn't be insurmountable.

• Options
    edited February 2013

It was better, but humanity sent everything in to reclaim that single colony, and the Turians were not expecting actual resistance.

And then the Council ended the war immediately, forcing the Turians to back down. If they hadn't done that, humanity would not have fared well at all.

But it makes sense when you think about it, because the whole purpose of the council is to balance the power between the factions. Having a seat on the council doesn't mean "we like you!" it means "we don't think you'll fall into line without a bigger stake in the game". The Salarians and Asari were uninterested in playing the game of 'lets wait and see whether war with this emerging species makes the Turians a lot more powerful or not'.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.