As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Honeymoon planning, finding a travel agent for Europe?

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
As simple as that, really. I'd like to figure out a Honeymoon, and I've been sold on the value of using a travel agent to give me help in the event of problems. I have never used a travel agent for anything, though, normally I'd plan things myself, so I'm not sure how to identify or pick one. Does anyone have tips on how to find a trustworthy travel agent, and any stupid mistakes not to make with them so as not to overspend?

What is this I don't even.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Stateside travel agents I have no idea.
    BUT! If you are willing to do it on your own, Ryan Air will get you to and from most major cities for dirt cheap. Although with that you'd need to travel light, and the airports they use aren't near the international airports.
    Any place you're looking to see specifically?
    Have you looked at maybe doing a cruise? I did one recently with MSC and we had a blast. Doing a cruise may save you a bit of heartache as really all you'd need to do is fly out to the port city, which I think you can either do yourself or book through the cruise company.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We're pretty attached to Europe by train, really. Something like Paris to Budapest with a couple days spent on select cities en route.

Edit: that said, that may be too long

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    How long do you guys have? Also, are you able to splurge? I know getting over here to Europe is pretty expensive.
    http://www.raileurope.com/europe-travel-guide/

You may also be able to rent a car and drive it. If you guys are doing it soon (before the middle of May), and you drive that route it would take you through Kaiserslautern (where I'm at currently), I'd be willing to show you guys around a bit while you're in the area.
    Also, wiki travel is amazing and is usually full of good advice.

I know travel agencies can be pretty awesome, but I've found its more fun and sometimes easier if you just kind of preplan a bit and then wing it (you need to be able to be a bit flexible though).

• Options
    I agree that winging it is how I'd normally go. The argument for a travel agent in this case is: A. Honeymoon means we don't want to be stressing, which sometimes comes with the fun of winging it, and B. language barriers might cause problems if we need to change hotels last minute or something, which hopefully a travel agent could help with.

We'll have about 11 days I think, so I think I need to cut a city out. I'm thinking something like fly to Paris, fly to Budapest, train from Budapest to Vienna, maybe.

Thank you for the offer to show us about! It won't be till October.

• Options
    Ah, no worries.
    I've taken the typical American approach to languages here, which is to not learn anything.
    Not really, I'm trying but for the most part a simple, "excuse me, do you speak English" will do wonders for you, and haven't found it an issue until you get into the very not tourist areas. Then charades becomes awesome.