Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Nintendo - Her games, her systems, her luscious curves.

124»

Posts

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

    We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

    Nintendo trying to head off the controversy. I think this is about the best response possible, considering the logistics that would be required to actually make the change.

    Will be interesting to see if it's accepted by the public at large.

    DoodmanneelektrikLostNinjaSyphonBlueOneAngryPossum
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Zython wrote: »
    [Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason.

    It's because it was a highly successful piece of hardware. Nintendo made "mad dollar yo" selling the thing and associated game.

    Market share is not the same as profit.

    So I just imagined stuff like this?

    215211734_fTLAi-L-2.jpg

    And I imagined that it was their worst selling piece of hardware (aside from the Virtual Boy)? And I imagined all the cries of going 3rd party back in the Gamecube era?

    Look, I understand you don't remember those days, but I do.
    Einzel wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Nintendo's also been having issues this generation switching over to HD, on top of the hardware sales stuff. They weren't prepared for how much more time and money and manpower it was gonna take and it's been impacting their ability to deliver software under their normal business practices.

    Is that why the Wii U runs more full HD games than its competitors?

    Full HD doesn't mean squat. Nintendo is running last generation games full HD, oh well. Plus their new games don't pack the sort of shaders, lighting effects, physics, and other stuff their competitors do.

    Given the choice between higher resolution or better shadows/lighting/details/textures/physics I'll usually take the later.

    Given the choice between the two, I'll usually take the better game. *shrug*

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Einzel
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Nintendo still dominates the handheld market, so if for some reason they stopped making home consoles they would still make games, just focusing on handhelds. Ideally I'd like to see them merge their console and handheld platforms. A portable system that comes with a dock that has HDMI out and supports wireless controllers so you can play the same games on your TV as you can on the bus using the same saves even. The Wii U seems like a step in that direction but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

    I didn't want to play mobile games on my TV when the Ouya thought it was a good idea, and I don't see myself wanting to do it if Nintendo tries it, albeit with their vastly superior mobile game catalog.

    I'm all for them doing more things with cross save however where I can use the same save on the mobile version of a game that I can on the console version like I believe the last Monster Hunter did.

    The Wii-U has been bad for Nintendo, but I don't buy that they don't have any more good console cycles left in them for a minute. Hopefully this just served as a lesson in not releasing a console that is a generation behind in specs and praying that some unique feature will make up the difference (a lesson that by all rights should have smacked them in the face last generation, but the Wii was something of an anomaly). If they can release a console that is comparable in power and graphics to its competition next generation they will be fine, their catalog of IPs will do the rest, weak online infrastructure be damned.

    The popular rumor is that their next console will be a tablet esque handheld that acts like a controller for the home console but can be taken on the go as a stand alone unit.

    Basically theyll ensure their customers have both consoles right out the gate and can develop games with features that take advantage of that.

    I would be down with something like that.

    A really sleek large-format handheld like the 3DSxl that played GameBoy games and next-gen games with cloud support would be pretty rad, especially if they could hit a manageable price point.


    Nintendo needs to up their online game in a bad way. They're embarrassingly behind in that arena.

    I still blows my mind that the 3DS I own does not play GBA games.

    Mine does 8-)

    Or the fact that it doesn't play SNES games! They released A Link Between Worlds and put Link to the Past on WiiU

    The amount of money I would be willing to spend on such games is tremendous. But oh no, I'm not an Ambassador (fuckers). There is no way they can't get those games running on a machine that gets Hulu and Netflix

    smCQ5WE.jpg
    SyphonBlueAvalonGuard
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Nintendo release Wii U Pokémon MMO; sell 30 million consoles.

    Well I'd enjoy that anyway...

    Doodmann
  • frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Nintendo still dominates the handheld market, so if for some reason they stopped making home consoles they would still make games, just focusing on handhelds. Ideally I'd like to see them merge their console and handheld platforms. A portable system that comes with a dock that has HDMI out and supports wireless controllers so you can play the same games on your TV as you can on the bus using the same saves even. The Wii U seems like a step in that direction but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

    I didn't want to play mobile games on my TV when the Ouya thought it was a good idea, and I don't see myself wanting to do it if Nintendo tries it, albeit with their vastly superior mobile game catalog.

    I'm all for them doing more things with cross save however where I can use the same save on the mobile version of a game that I can on the console version like I believe the last Monster Hunter did.

    The Wii-U has been bad for Nintendo, but I don't buy that they don't have any more good console cycles left in them for a minute. Hopefully this just served as a lesson in not releasing a console that is a generation behind in specs and praying that some unique feature will make up the difference (a lesson that by all rights should have smacked them in the face last generation, but the Wii was something of an anomaly). If they can release a console that is comparable in power and graphics to its competition next generation they will be fine, their catalog of IPs will do the rest, weak online infrastructure be damned.

    The popular rumor is that their next console will be a tablet esque handheld that acts like a controller for the home console but can be taken on the go as a stand alone unit.

    Basically theyll ensure their customers have both consoles right out the gate and can develop games with features that take advantage of that.

    I would be down with something like that.

    A really sleek large-format handheld like the 3DSxl that played GameBoy games and next-gen games with cloud support would be pretty rad, especially if they could hit a manageable price point.


    Nintendo needs to up their online game in a bad way. They're embarrassingly behind in that arena.

    I still blows my mind that the 3DS I own does not play GBA games.

    Mine does 8-)

    Or the fact that it doesn't play SNES games! They released A Link Between Worlds and put Link to the Past on WiiU

    The amount of money I would be willing to spend on such games is tremendous. But oh no, I'm not an Ambassador (fuckers). There is no way they can't get those games running on a machine that gets Hulu and Netflix

    I'd 3-4 figures for a portable console with SNES games, provided it had English ports of a few games (I'm looking at you Seiken Densatsu 3 among others). Actually I'd throw three figures at something that just did SD3, Bahamut Lagoon, and Langrisser... why won't Nintendo take my money?

    l7qudl3uxpxz.jpg

  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

    We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

    Nintendo trying to head off the controversy. I think this is about the best response possible, considering the logistics that would be required to actually make the change.

    Will be interesting to see if it's accepted by the public at large.

    If they wanted to head off controversy this would have been their first statement.

    Instead of classifying the very existence of same sex relationships as "social commentary".

    But it's an apology with a promise to be inclusive in the future. What else can anyone ask of them at this moment?





    Viskod on
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    Kid PresentableJusticeforPlutoOneAngryPossumZombie Hero
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Einzel wrote: »
    Nintendo release Wii U Pokémon MMO; sell 30 million consoles.

    Well I'd enjoy that anyway...

    You just suggested that Nintendo build a game whose center piece is its online infrastructure and experience. Go look at yourself in a mirror.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
    SyphonBlueAtomika
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Nintendo will never make any sort of MMO, the risk is far too high and the potential returns far too low.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

    We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

    Nintendo trying to head off the controversy. I think this is about the best response possible, considering the logistics that would be required to actually make the change.

    Will be interesting to see if it's accepted by the public at large.

    If they wanted to head off controversy this would have been their first statement.

    Instead of classifying the very existence of same sex relationships as "social commentary".

    But it's an apology with a promise to be inclusive in the future. What else can anyone ask if them at this moment?





    I'm always surprised at just how much people who feel wronged can demand.

    Though I have a gut feeling that the person who okayed the first response has already been ground up and turned into pokeball key chains.

    King RiptorNiceguyeddie616
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Nintendo will never make any sort of MMO, the risk is far too high and the potential returns far too low.

    I want to agree with this, but I don't want to give up my dream of there one day being a Pokemon MMO.

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Nintendo will never make any sort of MMO, the risk is far too high and the potential returns far too low.

    I want to agree with this, but I don't want to give up my dream of there one day being a Pokemon MMO.

    You should. Gamefreak would never okay it even if Nintendo would

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Nintendo's also been having issues this generation switching over to HD, on top of the hardware sales stuff. They weren't prepared for how much more time and money and manpower it was gonna take and it's been impacting their ability to deliver software under their normal business practices.

    Is that why the Wii U runs more full HD games than its competitors?

    I don't think you actually understood the point of what I posted.

    It appears you just decided you had to defend Nintendo from the fictional attack I never made against it.

  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Nintendo will never make any sort of MMO, the risk is far too high and the potential returns far too low.

    I want to agree with this, but I don't want to give up my dream of there one day being a Pokemon MMO.

    You should. Gamefreak would never okay it even if Nintendo would

    I know, but a guy can dream right?

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Nintendo will never make any sort of MMO, the risk is far too high and the potential returns far too low.

    I want to agree with this, but I don't want to give up my dream of there one day being a Pokemon MMO.

    You should. Gamefreak would never okay it even if Nintendo would

    I know, but a guy can dream right?

    Not since the supreme court ruled dreams as terroism he can't

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The real question is when is Doshin the Giant getting a sequel?

  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    The real question is when is Doshin the Giant getting a sequel?

    Or some of their other Gamecube titles. They still own the rights to Geist and Eternal Darkness right? Geist was an interesting concept that could be pretty cool in the hands of say, Retro Studios.

    steam_sig.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    [Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason.

    It's because it was a highly successful piece of hardware. Nintendo made "mad dollar yo" selling the thing and associated game.

    Market share is not the same as profit.

    So I just imagined stuff like this?

    And I imagined that it was their worst selling piece of hardware (aside from the Virtual Boy)? And I imagined all the cries of going 3rd party back in the Gamecube era?

    Look, I understand you don't remember those days, but I do.

    No no, I totally remember the days when people said that Nintendo was doomed as they posted massive profit after massive profit.

    Who is happier, the man who sells 20 million units at $100 profit per unit or the man that sells 100 million units at a $50 dollar loss per unit?

    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

    I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    [Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason.

    It's because it was a highly successful piece of hardware. Nintendo made "mad dollar yo" selling the thing and associated game.

    Market share is not the same as profit.

    So I just imagined stuff like this?

    And I imagined that it was their worst selling piece of hardware (aside from the Virtual Boy)? And I imagined all the cries of going 3rd party back in the Gamecube era?

    Look, I understand you don't remember those days, but I do.

    No no, I totally remember the days when people said that Nintendo was doomed as they posted massive profit after massive profit.

    Who is happier, the man who sells 20 million units at $100 profit per unit or the man that sells 100 million units at a $50 dollar loss per unit?

    The business is much more complicated than that. You have to take the software sales into account (both first-party for obvious reasons, and 3rd party for licensing fees/moving consoles). You also have to take into consideration the trend. Each Nintendo console was selling worse than the last. Were they making money? Sure, but things aren't that simple. Yes, it's nice selling 20 million units for $100 profit each, but wouldn't they rather sell 100 million units for $100 profit each? Wouldn't they be concerned that, while selling 20 million units, their last product sold 33 million, and the one before 50 million? And, if that trend continued, their next product would only sell 15 million units or less?

    I'm not saying the Wii U wasn't a misstep. Clearly it was for a variety of reasons. However, let's not pretend that the direction the company has been going lately wasn't done to address very real concerns about their long-term growth (or lack thereof).

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love the GameCube to death (my favorite console of the generation by far), but Nintendo was pretty definitely in a bit of a death spiral trying to compete "directly" with Sony, and to a lesser extent Microsoft at that point. I'd have loved to see a GameCube 2.0, and frankly still would, but I just don't think that's a good business for Nintendo either. Further, I don't think gamers would be well served by having a third "traditional" console in the mix, having to choose between PS4 and XB1 was hard enough.

    By comparison, choosing not to by the WiiU was easy. *rimshot*

    Feral
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    [Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason.

    It's because it was a highly successful piece of hardware. Nintendo made "mad dollar yo" selling the thing and associated game.

    Market share is not the same as profit.

    So I just imagined stuff like this?

    And I imagined that it was their worst selling piece of hardware (aside from the Virtual Boy)? And I imagined all the cries of going 3rd party back in the Gamecube era?

    Look, I understand you don't remember those days, but I do.

    No no, I totally remember the days when people said that Nintendo was doomed as they posted massive profit after massive profit.

    Who is happier, the man who sells 20 million units at $100 profit per unit or the man that sells 100 million units at a $50 dollar loss per unit?

    The business is much more complicated than that. You have to take the software sales into account (both first-party for obvious reasons, and 3rd party for licensing fees/moving consoles). You also have to take into consideration the trend. Each Nintendo console was selling worse than the last. Were they making money? Sure, but things aren't that simple. Yes, it's nice selling 20 million units for $100 profit each, but wouldn't they rather sell 100 million units for $100 profit each? Wouldn't they be concerned that, while selling 20 million units, their last product sold 33 million, and the one before 50 million? And, if that trend continued, their next product would only sell 15 million units or less?

    I'm not saying the Wii U wasn't a misstep. Clearly it was for a variety of reasons. However, let's not pretend that the direction the company has been going lately wasn't done to address very real concerns about their long-term growth (or lack thereof).

    In America more than twice as many third party titles were published for the Gamecube as for the N64, and the more than twice again for the Wii. Of course the N64 had almost a two thirds reduction in third party titles from the SNES.

    Despite selling only two thirds GCs to N64s they shifted almost the same number of games for both systems. The N64 was the mis-step not the GC.

    Nintendo's official sales figures and the like are here

    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1403.pdf
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/number_of_titles_e1403.pdf

    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

    I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

    Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo's obviously struggling, but times are getting tight for the other consoles as well.
    At E3 and later this year, however, we’ll see plenty more games built on Epic’s Unreal Engine 4, says Sweeney. “There’s a lot [of games] on the way and a large number of them haven’t been announced,” he tells us. “You’ll see lots of triple-A stuff coming out over time. The industry’s changing – this generation it seems like there are about a third of the number of triple-A titles in development across the industry as there was last time around – and each one seems to have about three times the budget of the previous generation. I think we’re heading towards a future where triple-A is the minority.”
    “It’s meant to be as accessible to indies as a subscription to an MMO,” said Sweeney, a strong believer in the indie scene. “As these triple-A games are seeing fewer releases then the empty spaces in between are being filled by indie projects of all scales,” he adds. “They’re really being developed in a completely new way – rather than being built over a very long period of time and then released with a massive marketing campaign, you’re seeing a Kickstarter and then preview versions becoming available that are incrementally improved over time. It’s a really interesting time for the industry.”

    http://www.edge-online.com/features/three-new-epic-games-incoming-as-unreal-engine-looks-to-define-a-new-generation/#null

    This is coming from the guy who makes the engine used by a big chunk of AAA games out there, it's unlikely he's talking out his ass.

    I don't think it's this generation either -- AAA game releases seemed to slow down as last generation ground along, prices went up and developers went bust. And it seems to be getting even slower as time goes on. On top of that, the increasingly risk-averse publishers are taking fewer and fewer chances on new types of games, meaning we're seeing new iterations of the same type of stuff rather than many games that take crazy risks.

    The landscape's absolutely changing.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    More that the industry is maturing. Game development is starting to look more like movie/TV development.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    More that the industry is maturing. Game development is starting to look more like movie/TV development.

    Thats what they like to think but no its because they pour way to much money into games and expect super unrealistic returns. So theyve finally started cutting back but not in the right ways

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I think eventually larger developers/publishers will catch on, and while AAA titles will still be a thing, we'll see more mid-tier development. A lot of indies and smaller devs are either there already, or at least looking in that direction. For most of the bigger guys, it seems like they'll do so from hitting a breaking point rather than common sense, but they'll get there.

    As for Nintendo, I definitely think there's something to the idea of a handheld with TV connectivity. Handheld games have come a long way, and they probably won't try to compete head to head with Sony and MS in terms of sheer horsepower anyway. Sell a powerful yet still affordable handheld, with an HDMI dongle that connects to the TV, which either comes with the handheld or is sold as its own thing for a very reasonable price. Other players could use either controllers, or their own handheld, with all of that coordinated by the dongle. In most if not all cases, you'd have one handheld acting as the 'console'.

    They would be able to leverage all of their virtual console stuff on one platform instead of two, avoiding weird situations like DS and GBA (and SNES) games only coming to the WiiU but not the 3DS.

    In the meantime, keep supporting the WiiU to a reasonable extent, getting things in the black even if they're not making money hand over fist like they were with the Wii. Plus, cutting support would make people pretty wary about any future system. Take the time and start putting a decent amount of development behind the new thing years and years in advance, hopefully avoiding the types of severe droughts we've been seeing with the WiiU. Have a few AAAs, but also put a lot of focus on mid-tier and quirky software. Court indies like Sony has been doing.

    TubularLuggage on
    CokomonPolaritie
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The DS started out as a 'third pillar' before it boarded the money train. A handheld/console hybrid would be a nice fit for that sort of strategy, though considering the difficulty Nintendo has had with HD development it might stretch their teams pretty thin without backwards compatibility of some sort.

    Looking at the timelines, the DS came out three years into the GBA's life and two years into the Gamecube's. We're just past three years into the 3DS but not even two years into the Wii U. Of course the DS wasn't meant to replace the GC, so we're still pretty far out from a hybrid seeming tenable as a Wii U follow up. If such a thing is in the works I'd expect it at next year's E3 at the earliest.

  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    A hypothetical 'hybrid' handheld would definitely be at least several years off. The 3DS came out about 6-7 years after the original DS, and there's no reason to replace it any time soon. For the time being, they can focus on making it more profitable and building up its library. Some form of backwards compatibility with 3DS games on their next thing would be wise. If they can get the Wii U to a point where it's not losing a significant amount of money (I've heard that they've stopped selling at a loss recently), they have time to develop this hypothetical successor, and they should take that time.

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    I think eventually larger developers/publishers will catch on, and while AAA titles will still be a thing, we'll see more mid-tier development. A lot of indies and smaller devs are either there already, or at least looking in that direction. For most of the bigger guys, it seems like they'll do so from hitting a breaking point rather than common sense, but they'll get there.

    This is exactly what Ubisoft is doing right now with their Ubiart engine. It's good for several reasons including, but not limited to, letting their developers not burn out on AAA development, exercising creative enterprises, putting out smaller budget, indie-style, "core" games as a way to garner positive press from media and fans, and it allows them to release games that don't cost $800 million which means they start making a (albeit smaller) profit without needing to sell 30 million units.

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    TubularLuggage
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I think eventually larger developers/publishers will catch on, and while AAA titles will still be a thing, we'll see more mid-tier development. A lot of indies and smaller devs are either there already, or at least looking in that direction. For most of the bigger guys, it seems like they'll do so from hitting a breaking point rather than common sense, but they'll get there.

    This is exactly what Ubisoft is doing right now with their Ubiart engine. It's good for several reasons including, but not limited to, letting their developers not burn out on AAA development, exercising creative enterprises, putting out smaller budget, indie-style, "core" games as a way to garner positive press from media and fans, and it allows them to release games that don't cost $800 million which means they start making a (albeit smaller) profit without needing to sell 30 million units.

    That's true. Ubisoft definitely deserve some credit on that, and of the larger publishers definitely seem to be the most willing to do that sort of thing currently. I hope they keep it rolling with that sort of stuff, and every indicator seems to suggest they will.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I think eventually larger developers/publishers will catch on, and while AAA titles will still be a thing, we'll see more mid-tier development. A lot of indies and smaller devs are either there already, or at least looking in that direction. For most of the bigger guys, it seems like they'll do so from hitting a breaking point rather than common sense, but they'll get there.

    This is exactly what Ubisoft is doing right now with their Ubiart engine. It's good for several reasons including, but not limited to, letting their developers not burn out on AAA development, exercising creative enterprises, putting out smaller budget, indie-style, "core" games as a way to garner positive press from media and fans, and it allows them to release games that don't cost $800 million which means they start making a (albeit smaller) profit without needing to sell 30 million units.

    That's true. Ubisoft definitely deserve some credit on that, and of the larger publishers definitely seem to be the most willing to do that sort of thing currently. I hope they keep it rolling with that sort of stuff, and every indicator seems to suggest they will.

    At least for the short term. I know I'm looking forward to that stylish WWII game told from the point of view of a dog.

    Though Ubi seems to be one of the few AAA publishers truly willing to try something different from the norm, along with Sony and, well, Nintendo. (If you define "norm" as "various flavors of Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.")

    You'd think the various big publishers would have long ago figured out you don't have to go in with 100% of the power and explosions and shinies, especially with this much power available. Especially since so many publishers and developers went bust last gen. But nope. The release slate keeps getting thinner as more resources are poured into fewer, increasingly familiar games.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
124»
Sign In or Register to comment.