Options

Assassin's Creed IV: YARRRRRR Edition

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Those look like Connor's robes.

Not interested in another Connor game. Face doesn't look like Connor though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Please god, no more Connor. Just no.

No.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Didn't Ubisoft say that they aren't returning to Connor, though?

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    More connor would be

OK

• Options
    Im pretty sure I read... something... somewhere that Ubi did confirm that Connor's story was done, so maybe it isn't him.

After the subpar Revelations, and absolute trainwreck that was ACIII, I really need to be wowed to have any interest in the next game. Pirates and a chance at greater emphasis on naval combat is a step in the right direction.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Looks like it's a poster for a comic book side story, or maybe DLC. Ubi publicly confirmed no Connor and a different setting for the next game a few times now.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure I read... something... somewhere that Ubi did confirm that Connor's story was done, so maybe it isn't him.

After the subpar Revelations, and absolute trainwreck that was ACIII, I really need to be wowed to have any interest in the next game. Pirates and a chance at greater emphasis on naval combat is a step in the right direction.

Aha, we weren't crazy.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-next-assassins-creed-wont-star-connor/1100-4549/

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Downloadable sea battles game please.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    It's odd. I have AC3 sitting at home waiting for me to play... And when it was released people were clamoring how great it was. But now here we are: about 4 or 5 months later and people are badmouthing it constantly. Did it just get old really fast?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Internet turns on things pretty fast, its a good game not great marred by some really awful character decisions/style choices. Seabattles are really fun, but the story is sub par even for an AC game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Internet turns on things pretty fast, its a good game not great marred by some really awful character decisions/style choices. Seabattles are really fun, but the story is sub par even for an AC game.

It's also buggy. And the ending is terrible.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    AC3 is a good game, not as good as 2 or Brotherhood, better than Revelations. The sea battles are fuckawesome.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's odd. I have AC3 sitting at home waiting for me to play... And when it was released people were clamoring how great it was. But now here we are: about 4 or 5 months later and people are badmouthing it constantly. Did it just get old really fast?

Hmm, I recall reaction here being kind of mixed in the AC threads. I think it's worth playing, but compared to AC2 and Brotherhood it's a disappointment.

• Options

It presents a pretty great first hour (you know who I'm talking about, kids), then it goes downhill.
    The present day bits are terrible.
    The new freerun is error prone as fuck.
    Connor is so boring.
    Freerunning in the woods just doesn't fucking work.
    The towns are terrible, especially after running around AC2's scenery.
    Infinite instant guard respawns. Yeah.
    The missions are so tightly scripted that you've pretty much got one way to succeed and fuck you if you try anything different.
    Combat is so easy you can literally tear 50 guards apart in 5 minutes without getting touched, no exaggeration.
    etc etc

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Well the ending being terrible is a given because its an AC game, have any of them ended good at all? The bugs were annoying though I hoped some of them would be ironed out by now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    AC3 is a good game, not as good as 2 or Brotherhood, better than Revelations. The sea battles are fuckawesome.

Yea. AC3 was good.

Shame Connor probably won't get a second chance. He was doomed as a protagonist from the start though considering how familiar and likable bastard Haytham was.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Well the ending being terrible is a given because its an AC game, have any of them ended good at all? The bugs were annoying though I hoped some of them would be ironed out by now.

2 and Bro (especially Bro) ended on some good cliffhangers. 3 was supposed to be the pay off, and it was just a big turd.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

what

what

the forest freerunning was pretty much the best thing in the game after the naval battles

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

2 and Bro (especially Bro) ended on some good cliffhangers. 3 was supposed to be the pay off, and it was just a big turd.

What? I didn't think either of those were good cliff hangers at all. Different strokes I guess.

And I'm with Syphon forest free running was the best, you got to be the motherfucking predator.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah forest free running and ship battles were the shit.

God I hope this is a real thing. Pirate assassin just gets me hard.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I hope whatever the next game is has a Frontier area again

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

I'm talking about the last 45 minutes of the game, not just "Oh what the fuck another cliffhanger!?" from AC2, AssBro, etc.

The endings, both in and out of the Animus, are just head shaking. Lots of potential, most of it wasted.

I think my biggest gripe about AC3 was
    the fact that you only participate in a few of the key moments in the Revolution. The biggest omission is the lack of Crossing the motherfucking Delaware, and as a result, no Battle of motherfucking Trenton. Those are iconic, and while not huge bombastic battles, they were ripe for inserting with all kinds of crazy Assassin's Creed fiction. It was also THE image that Ubi trotted out to introduce the game.

But whatever, the best parts of it were the sea battles, and LOOK AT THIS it's a whole game about pirates and sea battles.

Let's do this.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

what

what

the forest freerunning was pretty much the best thing in the game after the naval battles

You know why it doesn't work? because the forest is supposed to be a natural environment, but to make free running function in an organic environment they pretty much copy pasted the same chain of trees with the conveniently level branch line everywhere. The end result the dopiest excuse for a forest ever, with little to not variation in what branches you can use for free running. The copy paste job is so superficial you can spot the exact linear sequence the designers wanted you to use trees X, Y and Z in from a mile off.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    My biggest issues with AC3 was that pc controlled Connor was a whirling dervish of pain/invisible executioner of doom, story mode connor was the absolute opposite of that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I still haven't played through AC3. I got a bit into the intro and that's it.

Something about the control changes weren't working for me, everything felt unecessarily difficult to do, even basic shooting shit.

I'll get to it eventually.

I will say that Pirates are about the least interesting thing to me, personally, that I could possibly think of. So, I suppose, depending on what my feelings about AC3 end up being, this could be something I could easily skip on.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I will say that Pirates are about the least interesting thing to me, personally, that I could possibly think of. So, I suppose, depending on what my feelings about AC3 end up being, this could be something I could easily skip on.

The reason I am excited is because the naval combat was one of my favorite things about AC3, so more of that would be nice.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is literally a link and discuss OP.

Fix it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I will admit: the naval combat in AC3 was a surprise. How many pirate games have fucked up naval combat? And then AC3 comes out of nowhere and nails it.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    An entire studio, Ubisoft Singapore, worked on just the naval combat.

That's why it's so good. They just focused on that, and made it as polished as possible.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185520/Qamp_A_Making_waves_in_Assassins_Creed_III.php#.US0BqScqbnE

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

The reason I am excited is because the naval combat was one of my favorite things about AC3, so more of that would be nice.

I won't complain if my view is changed when I get to that, don't get me wrong; I've heard the naval stuff is super good. I just don't care about pirates, in the general sense, at all. There is so much history that is just ripe for being a setting for an AC game. Something as, big picture, meaningless as pirates feels a bit 'off', when there is, oh, I dunno...the entirety of Asian history, latin/south America, etc that is right there.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Well it did help you have gibbs from POTC as your first mate, well that and blowing up ships was fucking awesome.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    I'd be perfectly happy with a naval focused game, leading a band of pirates, maybe fortifying my own pirate haven as a base of operations... Upgrading and commanding a ship was my favorite part of AC3. Shame there aren't any games based around that in full, maybe this can fix that.

[SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    There are several pirate games, the problem is, they mostly all suck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    desmond! we need you to track down blackbeard for the sake of the universe!

belaraphon.png
  • Options
    The rumor is that you play as
    Haytham's father
    so maybe we'll hear that gorgeous voice again, just from another character.

• Options
    Oh man. Swashbuckling simulator GET.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I maintain that if you can give me Pirates! with AC3's naval combat, and sneaking into ports to shank corrupt governors and bed their daughters that you can have all of my money.

• Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    I maintain that if you can give me Pirates! with AC3's naval combat, and sneaking into ports to shank corrupt governors and bed their daughters that you can have all of my money.

What's wrong with bedding the governors and shanking the corrupt daughters?

• Options
    quarthinos wrote: »

What's wrong with bedding the governors and shanking the corrupt daughters?

Absolutely nothing, now that you mention it.