As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E Eberron] Eberronning All Over the Place

ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Critical Failures
The OP will probably be a bit barebones for a bit, sorry. This a thread for an Eberron game, hopefully, and for character sheets and all that stuff. I am terrible at naming things.

I am totally new at this DMing thing, so please bear with me. I'll probably go with five characters, maybe six. Level one characters, free expertise feat, if you have any recommendations something else maybe?? I'd prefer stuff to be on Orokos for rolls/sheets, but you can use whatever (Invisible Castle, Myth Weavers, etc.). Adventures in Khorvaire!

Also I am usually in IRC on slashnet at #criticalfailures so if you want to talk at me there's that!

Zandracon on

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm interested in this.

I've never done a PBP before though, would that be a problem?

Edit: On second thought I may not have the time. Sorry!

Khildith on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah alright, i can do this.

• Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    I'm down but I'm a dnd newb. What do I need, if anything?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    @Zandracon, I have a recommendation:
    Instead of the normal array, you use an array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 08, and that's it. No extra points, no bonuses from your race, just those 6 numbers to put into your ability scores. This allows you to be very effective at any class, with any race, and opens up the options of combinations.

The one caveat is humans. Humans still use standard rules, because otherwise the other benefits humans get starts to out-weigh the other races a little too much, and makes them a little too attractive of an option (the idea here is to encourage more exotic builds, anyway).

For non-humans, this works out to standard point buy with scores 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 08, with a 16 and a 12 going into ability scores that their race gives them bonuses for. However, by doing it as a set array, you can, for instance, play a half-elf with Dex 18, without having to sacrifice your Strength.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Interested, will stay on top of this thread.

• Options
    @Zandracon is level 1 absolute? I really hate starting so low, and especially in pbp where it can take a while to level

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    @Zandracon is level 1 absolute? I really hate starting so low, and especially in pbp where it can take a while to level

Not an absolute thing, would 3 be a better starting point? Not entirely set on most stuff, and that array you posted earlier looks good.

• Options
    Honestly I'd prefer 6 or 11 myself. I like 6 because you have two of every power.

And I like 11 because, well, you have a fully developed character (mechanically).

But any level you set is going to be manageable, I just have played so many low level characters that it's gotten a bit boring.

That said, I know Suicide Slyde said he was new to 4e, so if he's on board, starting at a lower level makes a bit more sense.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    starting at 3 would probably be best if we have someone new on board

starting at 6 or 11 would be rad but could be overwhelming

• Options
    Upon further review, level 3 actually works out pretty well. Especially with the bonus Expertise feat.

• Options
    @Zandracon, I actually don't know much of Eberron, but have an Orc Battle Rager Fighter that I was kicking around with before. Would that be an allowable race?

• Options
    As a general rule, it's my understanding that races who's only racial information is from a Monster Manual are generally not as well balanced and usually not legal. Monster Manuals are not player resources.

• Options
    As an aside, dwarven battleragers are insanely good.

• Options
    Ah, but the orc has a clear entry in the MM for making a player character, I know because I applied to TiamatZ's monster party PBP. So it should be fine as far as balance goes.

• Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    Ok somewhat interested here. I love Eberron. And it looks like Kingmakers is dying so I have a free slot....

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Ah, but the orc has a clear entry in the MM for making a player character, I know because I applied to TiamatZ's monster party PBP. So it should be fine as far as balance goes.
    Several of the monsters in the Monster Manual have racial traits and powers, not unlike the races presented in the Player's Handbook. In general, these traits and powers are provided to help Dungeon Masters create nonplayer characters (NPCs). This information can also be used as guidelines for creating player character (PC) versions of these creatures, within reason. Note that these traits and powers are more in line with monster powers than with player character powers.
    A player should use one of the following races to create a character only with permission of the Dungeon Master. The DM should carefully consider which monster races, if any, to allow as PCs in his or her campaign.

So...yes, it can be used for making PCs. It's pretty strongly recommended against, however, and ultimately is up to the DM, with the warning that those can be unbalancing.

That said, several of those races did eventually get write-ups as fully playable races. However, the Bugbear, Githyanki, Gnoll, Hobgoblin, and Orc did not, and considering the Orc's racial power is basically an MBA plus Second Wind, all in one standard action, I'd wager there's good reason why it didn't make the cut.

Ultimately, of course, it's up to @Zandracon I just want to make sure that the decision is made informedly, and with the understanding that it's basically recommended you not allow them.

Tox on
  • Options
    Actually, I think you're right and it would play better as a dwarf. Stoneblood feat, here I come.

• Options
    Also @Zandracon standard itemization rules? One at level +1, one at level, and one at level -1, with gold equal to the price of a level -1 item? And no rares, I presume?

• Options
    Also @Zandracon standard itemization rules? One at level +1, one at level, and one at level -1, with gold equal to the price of a level -1 item? And no rares, I presume?

Yep.

Also, something I was talking about in IRC, here is a thing I am tempted to do. (Lovingly stolen from the SA forums. Also have doubts on how well I could pull it off)
    SA Forums wrote: »
    A game where we play the Eberron postal service.

The reasoning goes like this: House Orien runs the Couriers Guild, which runs the mail coach network. However, the Couriers Guild probably also handles urgent, sensitive messages that need to either be protected from parties interested in intercepting them (like the many secret services of Khorvaire), or need to be delivered to locations far off the grid (Xen'drik or some of the planes). So what does House Orien do when they're paid to make absolutely, totally, 100% sure that a message reaches its destination? They send in the SDS.

The House Orien Special Delivery Service is an elite unit (of PCs) whose job it is to travel to the farthest and most dangerous parts of Eberron to deliver messages so crucial that someone felt the need to pay House Orien thousands of gold pieces to make sure they reach their destination. The SDS will not stop. It will not falter. It will not veer off course or get side-tracked. It will take the fastest, most direct and most expedient route possible to deliver your message, no matter the cost in time, manpower or money. If this means carving a bloody path through an army, or having to solve a murder mystery, or stopping an Evil cult so they can break an Imprisonment ritual and deliver their message, then fine. They're PCs, after all.

It's basically fantasy UPS on steroids if UPS made a habit of dropping Sherlock Holmes and some paratroopers into warzones with enough firepower to kill whatever gets in the way of their deliveries.

• Options
    That's really interesting.

My only concern would be that it feels like a travel game, where most encounters will happen over the course of several days of travel, meaning lots of extended rests between encounters. This means that classes that use daily powers will be, generally, "better" than essentials classes that don't use daily powers.

Which is fine, but it's also something that should be decided sooner rather than later, before folks start rolling up sheets.

• Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in throwing a submission in here whenever they start!
    Also FedEx commandos sounds pretty awesome!

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    Hey @tox, what do you mean classes that don't use daily powers? I thought everyone got dailies.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Hey tox, what do you mean classes that don't use daily powers? I thought everyone got dailies.

Oh god no, since the release of Essentials, several sub-classes don't get any daily attack powers:

Knight
    Slayer
    Thief
    Hunter
    Scout
    Hexblades
    Elementalist

...Executioners sort of do, they're not really daily attack powers, they're poisons that they get X/per day. Protector Druids similarly get Summon Natural Ally with X/per day uses. Also the Cavalier and the Blackguard don't get daily powers until level 5.

Tox on
  • Options
    Zandracon wrote: »

Yep.

Also, something I was talking about in IRC, here is a thing I am tempted to do. (Lovingly stolen from the SA forums. Also have doubts on how well I could pull it off)
    SA Forums wrote: »
    A game where we play the Eberron postal service.

The reasoning goes like this: House Orien runs the Couriers Guild, which runs the mail coach network. However, the Couriers Guild probably also handles urgent, sensitive messages that need to either be protected from parties interested in intercepting them (like the many secret services of Khorvaire), or need to be delivered to locations far off the grid (Xen'drik or some of the planes). So what does House Orien do when they're paid to make absolutely, totally, 100% sure that a message reaches its destination? They send in the SDS.

The House Orien Special Delivery Service is an elite unit (of PCs) whose job it is to travel to the farthest and most dangerous parts of Eberron to deliver messages so crucial that someone felt the need to pay House Orien thousands of gold pieces to make sure they reach their destination. The SDS will not stop. It will not falter. It will not veer off course or get side-tracked. It will take the fastest, most direct and most expedient route possible to deliver your message, no matter the cost in time, manpower or money. If this means carving a bloody path through an army, or having to solve a murder mystery, or stopping an Evil cult so they can break an Imprisonment ritual and deliver their message, then fine. They're PCs, after all.

It's basically fantasy UPS on steroids if UPS made a habit of dropping Sherlock Holmes and some paratroopers into warzones with enough firepower to kill whatever gets in the way of their deliveries.

this sounds fuckin awesome

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I would also be interested in taking part as a member of the world's most notoriously reliable postal service.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    I can get behind this. @Zandracon Is it alright if I just use the options available in the PHB plus the equipment for 3rd level or do I need bonus material?

• Options
    I can get behind this. Zandracon Is it alright if I just use the options available in the PHB plus the equipment for 3rd level or do I need bonus material?

It's going to be to your advantage to use as much material as possible. PH1 doesn't have anything for themes or backgrounds, both of which help you fill out your character more completely.

I can help you with that. If you want to PM me with either the character concept, or the specific build idea, I can give you some suggestions that will help round it out.

Alternatively, I can just do a mass info dump, but I usually assume the former is an easier method.

• Options
    Throin is ready to deliver any packages you may need, as long as it requires slamming a hammer into the face of some beastie.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Throin is ready to deliver any packages you may need, as long as it requires slamming a hammer into the face of some beastie.

It looks like you didn't add your enhancement bonuses to your defenses.

Tox on
  • Options
    :P I am failure.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

My only concern would be that it feels like a travel game, where most encounters will happen over the course of several days of travel, meaning lots of extended rests between encounters. This means that classes that use daily powers will be, generally, "better" than essentials classes that don't use daily powers.

Which is fine, but it's also something that should be decided sooner rather than later, before folks start rolling up sheets.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this until just now, but:

Simply rule that traveling overland doesn't count as an extended rest unless everyone is able to ride inside a wagon or similar.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this until just now, but:

Simply rule that traveling overland doesn't count as an extended rest unless everyone is able to ride inside a wagon or similar.

Of course traveling overland doesn't count. But horses have to sleep, too. So you still have to camp down for the night.

• Options
    I should have a character ready to go for this sometime this week. Preferably sooner rather than later.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I just found this thread again, I'm still interested @Zandracon

So what are the details re: character submissions?

• Options
    Should be third level, with the standard items/gold and a free expertise feat. Not entirely sure yet where we'll be starting out. Probably in the area of Aundair?

• Options
    I'm working on my sheet now.

Well, two sheets, actually. One is a better fit than the other.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    So being third level do we start with the usual magic items? Also what are people thinking of playing as?

• Options
    are we doing standard point-buy, or are we using the preset array thing that Tox suggested?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    So being third level do we start with the usual magic items? Also what are people thinking of playing as?

usual, 4-3-2, plus gold equal to a level 2 item (520g)

e: Also I'm rolling both a hybrid Warlock|Executioner, and a Berserker (defender/striker)

Tox on
  • Options
    are we doing standard point-buy, or are we using the preset array thing that Tox suggested?
    Go with Tox's suggestion. Not sure about what people have been thinking of doing other than what's been posted in the thread.