As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Banner Saga] Turn-based Isometric Cartoon Viking Ruckus

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One weird tip that really helps: Leave enemy stragglers alive.
    Every Str 1-3 limping around is a turn not taken by the big bad enemies. In a reversal of most TBS games, the worst you can do is quickly clear all weak opponents.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Would I be wrong for assuming this is the PC's answer to Fire Emblem? Because I'd be all over that.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    There is permadeath, just not permadeath resulting from grid based battles.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'm only like 30 minutes into this and I love it. I hope they make some good money so can have the next one voice fully voice acted.

• Options
    I wish to upgrade my opinion to "This game is fucking awesome"

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Played for an hour. This is a really gorgeous game, though a bit lacking in options. I'd like to be turn on subtitles for the cutscenes, for example.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Played for an hour. This is a really gorgeous game, though a bit lacking in options. I'd like to be turn on subtitles for the cutscenes, for example.

Or actual volume controls.

• Options
    The only real problem I have so far is Easy is way, way too easy and Normal is just too hard.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I keep going back and forth between having moments of pure clarity with regards to the whole armor/strength system, and being utterly confused and hating it so much.

And good lord could they use a damn status screen while in battle. Or at the very least let me see how many kills somebody has to a promotion so I'm not wasting kills. Especially since I get the feeling we're pulling a classic Fire Emblem here, with zero chance to grind and limited exp.

Don't know how I feel about renown being the global currency for... everything. From promoting to buying equipment and camp supplies. I fear I'm going to screw myself somewhere down the line and make a bad call spending it. Others may like that sense of urgency and permanence, but I never was a fan of it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've played this for a bit and I like it so far, but...

I do hope the battlefields get a bit more varied as the story goes on. They're all just wide-open spaces without so much as a fallen tree. Where are the chokepoints, the impassible rivers, the narrow bridges, the high walls?

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I haven't had too much trouble with the battle system yet. It seems a little broken that there isn't any cooldown on special abilities. It's just way too easy to rebuild willpower. I'm only on chapter 3 though.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    This game is absolutely fantastic so far.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Well I'll be watching out for the single player version of this. Sounds neat.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I'm about an hour in and this game is taking me to my happy place. I love that there are several narrative portions that do NOT have v/o. It's very nostalgic and immersive while maintaining how beautiful it is.

Also, vikings are great, juuuuust great.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    This is the single player version of it. Multiplayer was out last year. They just released single player yesterday.

Oh fuck me.

I was totally waiting for the singleplayer to come out. Later. Not now.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    cckerberos wrote: »

Or actual volume controls.

Another reason why I love my Logitech G15.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    One weird tip that really helps: Leave enemy stragglers alive.
    Every Str 1-3 limping around is a turn not taken by the big bad enemies. In a reversal of most TBS games, the worst you can do is quickly clear all weak opponents.

This annoys me to no end for some reason. Why the holy shitfuck can the 2 remaining enemies out of 4 suddenly move twice as fast. Gaaah.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, as much as it doesn't make sense, I'm enjoying it as it makes this game a bit tactically different than other games of the genre.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I dig having party members being able to die to story events.

I definitely do not dig the game not showing you who the fuck is at risk when a situation asks you to make decisions. I just lost a guy who I spent 40-something Renown leveling up and was definitely my heavy hitter, simply because I had no idea who the hell the game was naming. That's a shitload of Renown to lose because I remember faces and people, not names. Just a little picture of the dude would've saved me a huge amount of headache.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    So this game is really good.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, as much as it doesn't make sense, I'm enjoying it as it makes this game a bit tactically different than other games of the genre.

I'm fine with it not making sense, gameplay mechanics seldom do. My brain just cannot comprehend that I'll be punished for killing enemies, and it gets old really fast to try get them down to 1-3 HP instead of just killing them. Sure, it makes things a bit different from other games but it doesn't neccesarily make it better.

But so far that is my biggest gripe with the game and it's not a big one. Everything else is fantastic. Love the bleak world and sense of despair, also nordic folklore is awesome in general.

Movitz on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I think a good 30 minutes of the 2 hours I've played so far have just been me clicking everything on the map and reading stuff. Now I want even more to read.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So I dig having party members being able to die to story events.

I definitely do not dig the game not showing you who the fuck is at risk when a situation asks you to make decisions. I just lost a guy who I spent 40-something Renown leveling up and was definitely my heavy hitter, simply because I had no idea who the hell the game was naming. That's a shitload of Renown to lose because I remember faces and people, not names. Just a little picture of the dude would've saved me a huge amount of headache.

Yeah it's weird that I have a handle on the battles at this point, but every now and then because I pick heads instead of tails in the roleplaying events my best guys die

I tend to reload right before it if possible, unless the last autosave is several battles/hours ago.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Is there any way to know how much food I should buy? The characters in-game should know how long it takes to get from A to B but I'm supposed to buy food by guessing.

Like, I'm at a place called Skogr, should I buy more food or what?

Movitz on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    which chapter are you on? I know the second time you play as the varl side they give you way more than you need.

Otherwise I guess just spend however much renown you feel comfortable parting with. Generally it's better to be moderate than to spend everything on promotions/items/supplies, I'd assume

I actually haven't bought any items yet...

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My advice is buy as much as you can. You need to spend days resting after each battle usually so you cant' be sure how many supplies you're going to need. Also, being well rested ups moral and gives you a good boost in battle.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I've been completely out of food for about two in-game weeks. So, umm, buy food. (Or make better decisions than me)

• Options
    Oh, right. Resting cost food, that's why you'd want a lot of it. I'm only just started on the Varl 2.0 chapter so I've never really run out of food yet. I was just curious to why you'd want to spend money on it since it seems the characters know how much they need to travel.

I've put items quite low on my priorities. They cost more than promotions and give almost the same stats increase anyway. Though I've started to see "replenishes X each turn"-items which will be an interesting mechanic.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Just beat the game. I unfortunately had to drop it to easy for the final fight, since my party was not built to do what it wanted me to.

Ending spoilers
    I gave the arrow to Alette and she was killed in the final battle. Tricking someone into thinking he's dead, that's quite an interesting approach.

Having seen the same fight on both Easy and Normal, I'm surprised how massive the difference is. We're talking 25% less stats and maybe half the enemies.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, having no renown really proved problematic as I got nearer the end.

(End game spoilers)
    I spent a very long time travelling to that final town with no food whatsoever. When I got there, I only had a couple of hundred clansmen and no fighters at all. Iver basically defended that wall by himself, because I certainly had no fighters to put with him. Every action I did in that last town was 'Help Iver defend'
    Then the Varl arrive. And I genuinely let out a cry of joy

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Chapter 5 Spoilers
    How the hell do I avoid Iver getting his goddamn arm chopped off and thus crippling my entire party? I really can't function without the guy, most of Rook's team is pretty shit.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You can't....this game really rewards spreading out the leveling up, and punishing not doing so.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You can't....this game really rewards spreading out the leveling up, and punishing not doing so.

Even putting aside the crippling Renown drought in Rook's chapters and the thing I mentioned, most of the people he picks up are pretty crap in my experience. I mean that as in to say, independent of level ups, their base stats and abilities are largely garbage.

Oh well guess I'll just have to start over and take advantage of actual prescience.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    I am surprised this thread isnt more lively.

The game is pretty great. It just oozes personality.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Not everyone has the 25 to drop on the game. Give it time

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Yeah, think about the children!

I'm loving the game, but at the same time, basically anything I could talk about would be a spoiler so there isn't much to say.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I have it, but I was only able to fire it up for a few minutes. Plan on playing this weekens

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I just started, couldn't resist the game

I can't increase my spell rank. I have 2 points to spend on my one hero who leveled up but if I click the spell icon it just tells me about the spells, but I can't increase rank. what am I missing?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    People have been talking about the difficulty being too high on normal. I'm wondering, maybe it's supposed to be approached like XCOM or Fire Emblem, where rather then restart a battle anytime things don't go well (and get extremely frustrated in the process), you're meant to push on and weather the hardship?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    People have been talking about the difficulty being too high on normal. I'm wondering, maybe it's supposed to be approached like XCOM or Fire Emblem, where rather then restart a battle anytime things don't go well (and get extremely frustrated in the process), you're meant to push on and weather the hardship?

Almost no-one plays Fire Emblem like that.

Somebody dies, you slam that reset combination in as fast as the system recognizes it.