Options

Fire Emblem: Thread is done.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Correct.

Unless you're playing on Lunatic, you don't need him at all.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I benched Frederick right away 'cause he's kind of a party-pooper

So how let me see if I got this right
    I shouldn't promote classes until they're lvl 20
    Then after I promote them I should reclass them right away?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    If you're going for the minmax thing, reclass the promoted units once they hit level 15, since that's when they get their second skill.

Promoted units can reclass directly into other promoted units once they get above level 10, so unless you're swapping into Mercenary for Armsthrift or Monk/Cleric for Miracle, you probably shouldn't reclass right away.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    QuickSmasherEXEQuickSmasherEXE A mad genius, Where you cannot see meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Alright, re-playing FE7, i forgot if on chapter 26E, is it possible to get all the items, or do I always have to bite the bullet and lose the Brave Lance?

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can always get all the items, especially on eliwood mode where thieves take forever to show up. go faster

• Options
    QuickSmasherEXEQuickSmasherEXE A mad genius, Where you cannot see meRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    you can always get all the items, especially on eliwood mode where thieves take forever to show up. go faster

I only have 3 mounted units on my team

• Options
    you only need 2 and ninian going left

• Options
    you only need 2 and ninian going left

Worth a shot I guess. Later

• Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    In Awakening, are there any traps to look out for/things I should be doing early? In my brief attempts at Radiant Dawn, I ended up giving too many kills to some overpowered guy and being basically unable to progress.

Like, I'm pretty sure
    Frederick
    is a trap and I should never let him get kills, but man he's just so useful.

Regarding Frederick, earlier on in the game that's sort of true because his base stats for being level 1 promoted are pretty much terrible? But if you reclass him back down to a regular class his growth rates are fine, and a lot of his support conversations are quite entertaining. He's pretty good as a character overall, so if you really want to use him you can. Maybe not ideal from a min/max perspective but perfectly usable.

But I wouldn't let him get any kills prior to using a spare Second Seal on him, no. He'll level way too slowly.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really. With Second Seals no character is out and out screwed by the RNG/base stats.

Some just take a little less work than others.

• Options
    get him luna before second sealing. level 5 isn't too bad

• Options
    Doing the first challenge map

Yeah, Donnel promoting into a Soldier would have been just about perfect

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, I married Panne to Kellam. So today I go to my base and Vaike asks Panne why she's in a good mood. Her response-

"I have not had someone to talk to in a long time. It feels... nice"

Ah, the invisibility of Kellam

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    I'm going to figure out the first four chapters of Lunatic sooner or later, dammit.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Only up to Chapter 4, but I've already discovered the biggest flaw of the game: Whoever thought it was a good idea for every character to grunt, sigh, laugh, say a name, whatever every single time they show up on screen clearly didn't play the game after implementing it. It's making me want to turn the volume off. Maybe there's an option I missed...

Now to see if I'm big enough to do the Golden pack...I suspect not.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    There is indeed an option to turn it off.

Personally I like it though, it gives everyone some character without the expense of voicing everything they say.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You mean "Story voices"? Won't that turn off all voices not just the random sounds? Actual speech is fine.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Digito wrote: »
    I'm going to figure out the first four chapters of Lunatic sooner or later, dammit.

If you're having trouble come Chapter 2 or 3, just make a new save file and ensure you get non-terrible level ups for your avatar (at the very minimum you want 8/9/10 speed for chapters 1, 2 and 3, and as much defence as possible).

Prologue - Pair Fred and avatar, Fred kills all mercs and the mage at the top, avatar kills the axe dudes after they've taken damage from Fred's spear once (trade avatar's weapons to Fred before enemy turn so he doesn't dual strike) and the mage at the bottom.
    Chapter 1 - Pair Fred and avatar, sit avatar on a fort and kill everything that comes at you. If you're sufficiently strong trade Fred's silver lance to avatar to save durability.
    Chapter 2 - Pair Fred and the avatar, kill the axe dude nearest to you, move everyone else bottom left. At the start of the next turn move on to the mountain. If your avatar is sufficiently strong, pair him and Fred with the cavaliers/Vaike instead.
    Chapter 3 - Just bring your avatar, Fred, Vaike/a cavalier and Lissa. Have Chrom recruit Kellam, pair up, move out of range of the enemy. Pair Kellam and avatar and Fred with the cavalier/Vaike. Run roughshod over the enemy cos you're silly powerful now.
    Chapter 4 - Get your Levin sword renown award and annihilate Marth's duders.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Only up to Chapter 4, but I've already discovered the biggest flaw of the game: Whoever thought it was a good idea for every character to grunt, sigh, laugh, say a name, whatever every single time they show up on screen clearly didn't play the game after implementing it. It's making me want to turn the volume off. Maybe there's an option I missed...

You mean "Story voices"? Won't that turn off all voices not just the random sounds? Actual speech is fine.

I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned that before.

Story voices only turns off the grunting.

TUrn that shit off.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned that before.

Story voices only turns off the grunting.

TUrn that shit off.

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE A BUNNY!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Yeah, Yarne and Noire get a little tiresome after a while (immediately).

Fred and Cordelia's S rank is kinda sad.

ladi.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I finished up Days of Future Past 3 or whatever they are calling it by just moving my Avatar into striking range of the big bad unit and laughing as everything suicided into her Aversa's Night. Figured I would just roll up on the final map like a BOSS and laugh my way out. After the pain in my nuts subsided I realized that, perhaps, I should heeded the warnings given by Anna. I am currently trying to figure out a good plan that does not involve eugenics as that means I have to play through the game completely over again. So far I have managed to tweak my team to be far, far worse than what I initially ran in with blind. May the gods show me some mercy in all of this.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Limit breaker, a couple of spotpass/DLC characters to serve as rally bots, pair ups with partners using Brave weapons and a couple of stave users. You get plenty of characters who are great even without eugenics - Avatar, Morgan, Cynthia, Brady (assuming you passed Galeforce) and Sumia are ready to go out the box.

ladi.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I keep convo voices on just because I love Owain's so much.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK @xenogears of bore, time to get us a fresh thread up in here. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK @xenogears of bore, time to get us a fresh thread up in here. :D

No! I like this thread!

QuickSmasherEXE on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Limit breaker, a couple of spotpass/DLC characters to serve as rally bots, pair ups with partners using Brave weapons and a couple of stave users. You get plenty of characters who are great even without eugenics - Avatar, Morgan, Cynthia, Brady (assuming you passed Galeforce) and Sumia are ready to go out the box.

Yeah I have those guys (save Brady) good to go. Lucina seems to have some trouble, but I am hoping that turns around. Rallybot might really be the biggest key at the moment. I will have to try that.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I'd add Sev and her mom to the list. Hero, Vengeance, and Galeforce is a pretty solid setup, and their naturally boosted stats are strength and speed. Works out pretty well. And Kjelle gets all the tanking skills you'd want by default, AND assassin. Without planning she's not much of a sweeper, but she's a solid tank.

Also, beat Apothesis on normal. Working on hard mode. My team can at least take the first wave, which is a good sign. Going to get a second 10 move rallybot and some better staff users (and more levels for my secondary galeforcer.)

Also, going to reclass Sev to use an unbreakable double bow. Heard it's very useful.

• Options
    inigo might as well be a 3rd morgan

• Options
    Yeah, greatbows are pretty awesome on units with Galeforce; take a dude out from afar then equip a Brave Bow and switch into support.

ladi.png
  • Options
    I had a thought for a FE sequel. Keeping with the future generation theme, you could focus on a smaller number of potential children (say like 4 or so). As a trade-off for a lower kid count, you increase the actual kids seen based on pairings. For example, you always get Inigo from Olivia and the father. The father has no say in the offspring, which is understandable from a programming side.

If you limited the number of kids, you could create unique kids for each pairing. Using FE:A as an example, say Olivia marries Lon' Qu. That pairing gives the Inigo. But if Olivia married Chrom, the resulting child would be Severa. That means that every pairing would produce a unique child.

The game would have to have a preset, 10 map prequel ala FE7s Lyn mode. After that is done, 20 or so years pass and the kids grow up along with their older parents which leads to the main 20+ mission main game. It may overcomplicated things, and seriously drive completionists nuts, but it would be a fun mix-up to the formula. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I had a thought for a FE sequel. Keeping with the future generation theme, you could focus on a smaller number of potential children (say like 4 or so). As a trade-off for a lower kid count, you increase the actual kids seen based on pairings. For example, you always get Inigo from Olivia and the father. The father has no say in the offspring, which is understandable from a programming side.

If you limited the number of kids, you could create unique kids for each pairing. Using FE:A as an example, say Olivia marries Lon' Qu. That pairing gives the Inigo. But if Olivia married Chrom, the resulting child would be Severa. That means that every pairing would produce a unique child.

The game would have to have a preset, 10 map prequel ala FE7s Lyn mode. After that is done, 20 or so years pass and the kids grow up along with their older parents which leads to the main 20+ mission main game. It may overcomplicated things, and seriously drive completionists nuts, but it would be a fun mix-up to the formula. :)

That does sound fun!

But you're a monster and you're going to jail

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    My Olivia-Lucina has been struggling all through my Lunatic run but I think that's due to me not grinding Olivia into godhood in the 1-2 chapter bridge between those characters.

I dunno, I think you'd want to change the scope/design of the game to compliment. There's a great deal of effort in creating unique pairings like that. To get the most out of that design the game around replay-ability. Make the whole game ~10 chapters. Throw in different pathways and choices to change the story as you move through it. Hopefully you'd end up with a lean campaign that can change things up significantly between playthroughs (plot points, missions, kids, etc.) so that you've got more than kids going for the replay ability.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

This is known scientifically as "crazy person talk".

It's quite possible for Inigo, especially on a run without any planning, to not have Galeforce. His mom's modifiers aren't at all impressive, getting him capable of tanking requires Fred as a parent, which torpedoes his speed, his strength isn't going to be as good as Sev's unless his dad is the Vaike and her dad provides no strength whatsoever, he comes with almost nothing you want for a mage, and on and on.

I mean, yes. Like all the kids, he's capable of being very good, and in a male avatar run he's got the best native strength modifier of the kids who can get Galeforce AND aggressor, and his classpool isn't bad, but that's about it.

• Options
    My Olivia-Lucina has been struggling all through my Lunatic run but I think that's due to me not grinding Olivia into godhood in the 1-2 chapter bridge between those characters.

I dunno, I think you'd want to change the scope/design of the game to compliment. There's a great deal of effort in creating unique pairings like that. To get the most out of that design the game around replay-ability. Make the whole game ~10 chapters. Throw in different pathways and choices to change the story as you move through it. Hopefully you'd end up with a lean campaign that can change things up significantly between playthroughs (plot points, missions, kids, etc.) so that you've got more than kids going for the replay ability.

I totally agree about branching paths and a shorter overall main story. Sure, you retread a lot of ground by replaying the game, but if you make enough extended paths equal to the number of potential kids, it could be great. 4 potential pairings gives 16 total kids. If each game run had 4 branching paths then you'd have 4 different game experiences each time. That would be awesome.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jediabiwan wrote: »
    So, I need advice on my Morgan. I've been playing the game mostly blind in terms of pairings and whatnot. On a lark, my male Avatar married Panne, and they're the proud parents of a female Taguel Morgan.

My question: should I leave Morgan as a Taguel? If not, what class should I switch her to? Google has been less than helpful, so I'm willing to entertain all ideas. I literally just got Morgan, so she's still at level 10.

Asset/Flaw combination?
    Jediabiwan wrote: »
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »
    I don't like what pairing up does to the combat, nor do I like the easy access to grinding. Fire Emblem combat just doesn't hold up so well when everyone's stats get sky-high. (This was also a problem toward the end of Radiant Dawn, albeit to a lesser extent.) I also dislike that pairing up is, with very few exceptions, always the correct decision. The mechanic does allow for a some neat strategic possibilities in theory, but in practice it just cuts your army down from 15 warriors to 7 walking gods (and maybe one healer stashed safely in the corner).

Don't get me wrong, Awakening was a lot of fun, but it very quickly reached the point where you can just take your one best guy and his partner, send them off into the fray, and just watch the bloodshed. In-battle strategy sort of fell by the wayside. Rather, the appeal of the endgame (to me, at least) became character-building. While that's good fun, I'd really like a more "classic" Fire Emblem experience in the next game.

The grinding's almost certainly not going anywhere. The existence of DLC makes grinding unavoidable, so unless you want to get rid of the DLC entirely (and even if you do, supposedly it's made a ton of money so I doubt it's going anywhere). IS' strategy seems to mostly have been to approach the game as if it has three overlapping campaign and balance them mostly against themselves (main campaign, paralogues, and DLC).

But yeah, the balance is so carefully honed that even the slightest bit of grinding does trivialize things quite a bit. Admittedly I'm only playing on normal, but my main army can flatten any of the paralogues thus far (have done almost all the children paralogues, but none of the endgame ones yet), much less the main missions. Even still a good 2/3 of the DLC maps are still above me. So take all of that as you will. On the flip side, while the grinding does completely unbalance the game, it does have the benefit of making the support tree far easier to fill out and a few quick DLC levels can also allow you to swap units in and out of your main army on a whim if you want to change things up. So there is that.

They could change the DCL so that it only gives 1xp like spotpass on lunatic. Although they'd have to have some better rewards for each level to get people to download. I really hope they get rid of grinding in the next game, or at least in the harder modes.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to expect people to beat Rogues and Redeemer or Apothesis WITHOUT grinding. It's effectively asking someone to do a blind run of Zelda 2. With one hand. While your eyes are being gouged out.

I beat R&R3 on hard no problem without grinding (unless you count the Spotpass sidequests). I might try Apothesis this weekend, but I doubt the results will be very good. Apothesis was created solely as an ultimate challenge to those who did grind. If they take out grinding all they need to do is adjust the dlc difficulty accordingly.

That shows skills. And probably luck I would expect and RNG abuser to blush at (not accusing, though). None the less I find that the DLC is a great challenge unless you grind a LOT (haven't tried Apothesis though, but boy will it be a ride), and I am fine with the current formula provided they make the difficulty of the campaign just litte bit higher. Or make it longer and give it a higher difficulty curve (since they game becomes easier as you progress). Or preferably both.

That reminds me of an idea I had where the more grinding you do, the more powerful the enemies in the campaign are.

Nah, all you gotta do is use(or maybe abuse) the manaketes. They gain levels so fast and have such good growths and high def/res that its not long before nothing can kill you. Even on the hardest season 1 dlc and spotpass paralougue. Add to that a few other well trained units (and Walhart) and getting Priam or Ike is a piece of cake. Scale-able enemies in the main campaign is a good idea, but pretty much defeats the main purpose of grinding, and would be almost impossible to balance.
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

This is known scientifically as "crazy person talk".

It's quite possible for Inigo, especially on a run without any planning, to not have Galeforce. His mom's modifiers aren't at all impressive, getting him capable of tanking requires Fred as a parent, which torpedoes his speed, his strength isn't going to be as good as Sev's unless his dad is the Vaike and her dad provides no strength whatsoever, he comes with almost nothing you want for a mage, and on and on.

I mean, yes. Like all the kids, he's capable of being very good, and in a male avatar run he's got the best native strength modifier of the kids who can get Galeforce AND aggressor, and his classpool isn't bad, but that's about it.

Yeah Inigo is definitely one of the worse kids (at least statwise) especially considering the fact that his mom is pretty horrible. You have to grind her like crazy and get a good father and even then he's not any more special than the other kids except maybe 1 or 2 that just generally "suck" without a lot of work put into them. Add to that the fact that his chapter is actually pretty difficult and depending on how much grinding you've been doing you won't get him for quite awhile.

Morgan requires no work or planning and will turn into a god no matter what. She can also be gotten immediately after her chapter opens up no matter what.

Yikes we're getting close to the end of this thread!

Jediabiwan on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Yeah, Yarne and Noire get a little tiresome after a while (immediately).

Fred and Cordelia's S rank is kinda sad.

Fred and Cordelia are the best for each other, united by their love of Chrom. Seriously, they both probably think of him when they're together anyway.

• Options
    And that's sad! :(

Provided you know to pass Galeforce you've got a better than 50% chance of Inigo being incredible, which is more than most of the kids. Libra or Henry make him one of the best sorcerers in the game, or you could go with one of the five dads who can give him Luna. The only kids who have it better are Cynthia and Brady (Morgan excluded, because duh). Cynthia makes sense as she's the only kid you can completely screw yourself out of getting, and Brady has the same Galeforce issue (and can't have Vantage + sorcerer at the same time).

ladi.png
  • Options
    You know I'm going to say that...I don't think that Galeforce is really the end all be all ability.

I mean don't get me wrong, its a great ability(and one of the best if not the best) but I've never understood this "Must have Galeforce" mentality.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Man, speaking of voices (before...): The characters total inability to discern a female voice lead me to looking up what I guess is a spoiler...
    "Marth" is indeed not a guy...these footless people need their ears checked too...

And glad to hear you say that, Dragkonias. I don't really wanna game the system to pump out Galforce, but if it's so good, I'd have to!

Xeddicus on