As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MAGIC! [MtG]

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If people just want cards on the reserved list to play with casually, why don't they just use proxies?

• drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    proxies aren't as cool as having the real thing, or at least that's how my mind always takes it

like I could proxy a lot of things but it's easier for me and feels a lot better if I have an actual copy of a thing

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am familiar with those. I just wanted to use the wedges. Because enemy wedges are rad.

goomyisall400.jpg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    drp527 wrote: »
    proxies aren't as cool as having the real thing, or at least that's how my mind always takes it

like I could proxy a lot of things but it's easier for me and feels a lot better if I have an actual copy of a thing

right but if the problem with reprinting reserves is the collectors

and the reason for wanting to reprint reserves is for casual playing

proxies are a pretty easy way to satisfy both. And of course they aren't as cool as having the "real thing," because the real thing is a piece of cardboard worth upwards of $200. But as a thing you use to play the game, a proxy is exactly as effective as the real thing.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

proxies are a pretty easy way to satisfy both. And of course they aren't as cool as having the "real thing," because the real thing is a piece of cardboard worth upwards of $200. But as a thing you use to play the game, a proxy is exactly as effective as the real thing.

I think the main reason for reprints is so Legacy doesn't become functionally unplayable as all the usable duels waste away with the wear of time.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Booked into tomorrow night's Midnight prerelease.

All eight of their Boros packs have been booked. I assume people are shooting for those because all of the possible rares are baller except for Spark Trooper.

I went with Selesnya, since I haven't used them yet for a prerelease and I feel pretty happy about ending up with Gruul, Simir, Boros or Orzhov as my allied guild.

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    spark trooper is pretty baller in limited tho

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    for anyone who cares about these sorts of things

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10107939&postcount=93

tl;dr: due to how hard D&D 4E tanked wotc is consolidating several director roles to encompass all wotc products, so most magic specific ones don't/won't exist, believing that they can leverage the people behind the success of everything else to help push D&D 5E

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    spark trooper is the most baller in limited

also I won a game against a mill deck using the most random angel of glory's rise ever

Boros can be pretty fun

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Ok deck idea for Dragon's Maze:

Jund Aggro

4x Vexing Devil
    4x Stromkirk Noble
    4x Spike Jester
    4x Burning-Tree Emmissary
    4x Lightning Mauler
    4x Varolz
    4x Hellrider
    3x Thundermaw Hellkite
    3x Searing Spear
    2x Flesh//Blood

4x Blood Crypt
    4x Stomping Ground
    4x Overgrown Tomb
    3x Mountain
    3x Rootbound Crag
    3x Dragonskull Summit
    3x Woodland Cemetary

Basically a sledgehammer deck with the ability to get a giant creature to use the Blood half of Flesh//Blood with. I am unsure if BTE belongs in this deck however. She could be dropped on turn 3 with Varolz as well I suppose.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

tl;dr: due to how hard D&D 4E tanked wotc is consolidating several director roles to encompass all wotc products, so most magic specific ones don't/won't exist, believing that they can leverage the people behind the success of everything else to help push D&D 5E

So have people who know nothing bout brand X run brand X. Is there some kind of black magic involved in this idea to make it work? Or do all the directors at WOTC happen to know the ins and outs of all their stuff anyway and as good as the previous brand specific directors?

Not that anyone can answer that, but this just seems like a "Shit, 4E bombed. We need to do SOMETHING....Step 1: Fire People...Step 2: Increase staff size...".

Xeddicus on
    edited April 2013
    These are the other rares you could get in your Boros pack:

Aurelia, the Warleader
    Assemble the Legion
    Firemane Avenger
    Boros Reckoner
    Frontline Medic
    Legion Loyalist
    Molten Primordial

I would humbly submit that all but the last two are more baller than Spark Trooper. And even then Legion Loyalist is pretty okay!

Also I found it! (You may need to scroll up, second from the bottom)

Kelor on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

So have people who know nothing bout brand X run brand X. Is there some kind of black magic involved in this idea to make it work? Or do all the directors at WOTC happen to know the ins and outs of all their stuff anyway and as good as the previous brand specific directors?

Not that anyone can answer that, but this just seems like a "Shit, 4E bombed. We need to do SOMETHING....Step 1: Fire People...Step 2: Increase staff size...".

it sounds about as retarded to me too

"these guys were in charge of the successful products this year, so they can make this successful too right?"

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

I think the main reason for reprints is so Legacy doesn't become functionally unplayable as all the usable duels waste away with the wear of time.

this is a huge reason

as far as casual play goes, some people get anal about proxies (yo)

i really hate running proxies and will substitute other, less-good cards until i can get the real deal

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

this is a huge reason

as far as casual play goes, some people get anal about proxies (yo)

i really hate running proxies and will substitute other, less-good cards until i can get the real deal

I proxy things in my Commander deck if I'm not sure if I'll like it or it'll be a good fit for my deck, but not things I would/could never buy. If it ends up working out I will buy it if the store has it in stock though.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    For those who want proxies that look like the real things, don't forget that Collector's Edition (basically the non-tournament legal set some of you proposed) exists. Some of the cards are getting pricey, Black Lotus is at $200, but they're a lot less than their tournament legal counterparts.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    those get dicey as proxies because the square corners make them easy to feel out and cut to

edited April 2013
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    oh that is pretty cool

also this has been tread to hell and back but I wish being able to choose your ally guild was the way it was supposed to work

2x39jD4.jpg
    nevermind that deck generator is the worst it gave me a biovisionary and tried to tell me I was going to get 3 foil rares

lying little program

2x39jD4.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    4e didnt even tank

it sold great

hasbro just had transformers level expectations for its other "core brands" and chose to make two separate ones instead of making wizards one

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    join Selesnytology

it's not gonna be a great life, but it's better than the alternative

They don't believe in real medicine, but you can visit a Faithmender or Centaur Healer if you ever get sick.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    I love when industry sees something absurdly successful and decides to set that as the bar

your mmo will never pull WoW numbers, no mmo will and your dreams of unseating a titan are unfounded you need to reign yourself in son

2x39jD4.jpg
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I think the only real problem 4e had was that when it didn't explode out of the gate, they went through five or six rebrands, competed with themselves via Insider, and tried to parlay it into the collectibles market via the miniatures, and generally made a hash of everything. Die-hard butthurts can claim it was Pathfinder all the way but that don't match the number of people who say they played pathfinder over 4e.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So I haven't played magic in probably 4 years but a friend roped me into the pre-release this weekend. I didn't know what guild to pick so he put me in as Rakdos.

Any general strategies/tips? Also did he give me the worst guild for giggles?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    join Selesnytology

it's not gonna be a great life, but it's better than the alternative

They don't believe in real medicine, but you can visit a Faithmender or Centaur Healer if you ever get sick.

depressing as hell tangent
    I saw an article in the paper yesterday that there is couple who believes in faith healing and had a child die in 2009 because they didn't seek medical help and just this year their 8-month old son died because again they didn't seek medical help

It stuck with me because it was just horrible in every way

but seriously that deck gen said I was gonna get a foil blood scrivener and that is bullshit

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Ok deck idea for Dragon's Maze:

Jund Aggro

4x Vexing Devil
    4x Stromkirk Noble
    4x Spike Jester
    4x Burning-Tree Emmissary
    4x Lightning Mauler
    4x Varolz
    4x Hellrider
    3x Thundermaw Hellkite
    3x Searing Spear
    2x Flesh//Blood

4x Blood Crypt
    4x Stomping Ground
    4x Overgrown Tomb
    3x Mountain
    3x Rootbound Crag
    3x Dragonskull Summit
    3x Woodland Cemetary

Basically a sledgehammer deck with the ability to get a giant creature to use the Blood half of Flesh//Blood with. I am unsure if BTE belongs in this deck however. She could be dropped on turn 3 with Varolz as well I suppose.

You are lacking in followups that you can play off of Burning-Tree Emissary. I think you need at least one more set of 2-drops that are castable off him (Firefist Striker, Flunkies, Flinthoof Boar). You have too many 4- and 5- drops, and probably too many lands.

I suspect Flesh//Blood works better in a Jund Midrange deck than a Jund Aggro deck (Farseeks and Thragtusks, not BTE)

Consider making room for Domri Rade.

EDIT: you also have only 11 untapped red sources on turn 1 for 8 red 1-drops. Needs more basic Mountain.

Griswold on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    4e had the following problems

nerd backlash
    the introduction of more rpgs in a stagnant market
    incompetent handling of digital services because ~piracy~
    the touchscreen tabletop project got cancelled
    the fact that people only needed so much product a year vs mtg
    mismarketing of dnd essentials
    the failure of the fortune cards
    atari refuses to make video games with the 4e license until sued

despite all that, 4e sold better than any prior edition and it still wasnt good enough

if Next flops, hasbro cans dnd for a decade

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    nevermind that deck generator is the worst it gave me a biovisionary and tried to tell me I was going to get 3 foil rares

lying little program

Yeah, 2 of mine are Mythic even! I clearly should buy some boosters...

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    4e had the following problems

nerd backlash
    the introduction of more rpgs in a stagnant market
    incompetent handling of digital services because ~piracy~
    the touchscreen tabletop project got cancelled
    the fact that people only needed so much product a year vs mtg
    mismarketing of dnd essentials
    the failure of the fortune cards
    atari refuses to make video games with the 4e license until sued

despite all that, 4e sold better than any prior edition and it still wasnt good enough

if Next flops, hasbro cans dnd for a decade

At this juncture I am prepared to say that D&D lying fallow for a while is not the end of the world. 4e was fun as hell, yea, and I'm sure Next will be fun, but if I want fantasy I have my basis covered by Pathfinder, WHRPG, and 4e. This assumes I even want to play standard dungeon crawl fantasy, which I really haven't in a while, since I (personally) get more engaged by WoD or Eclipse Phase or wacky shit like Colonial Gothic. If I wanted combat-crunchy I'd probably hit Exalted or maybe WHRPG waaay before I went back to D&D.

This is not to indicate that I think D&D is a bad choice or anything, but as you noted the market is a little...saturated at this point.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
    So I haven't played magic in probably 4 years but a friend roped me into the pre-release this weekend. I didn't know what guild to pick so he put me in as Rakdos.

For Rakdos? Fill up with cheap creatures and removal, unleash them 95% of the time, and attack until the other guy is pounded into a fine paste that is also on fire.

Also don't underestimate how effective Act of Treason/Traitorous Instinct can be.

Sealed deck?

Do your best to play your bombs and removal. Have a plan for opponents' bomb creatures. Include some cards that are good draws in the lategame, even if they might otherwise be subpar.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah its sealed. Thanks guys. Basically "play black/red", but I didn't know about Unleash. That... doesn't really seem to have a downside for this type of deck.

Appreciated!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I have to sign up for my pre-release tomorrow, and hope to god that there are only as many Gruul fans as I think there are

(not many)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Also keep an eye out for red Gruul cards - the Gruul mechanic "Bloodrush" (discard Bloodrush creature card, pay some mana, an attacking creature gets +X/+Y equal to the Bloodrush creature's P/T and sometimes an ability like trample until end of turn) works nicely with the Rakdos playstyle.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I love when industry sees something absurdly successful and decides to set that as the bar

your mmo will never pull WoW numbers, no mmo will and your dreams of unseating a titan are unfounded you need to reign yourself in son

in the words of the great patrick klepek,

"Everyone wants to be Activision. Sorry, there's just Activision."

Yeah its sealed. Thanks guys. Basically "play black/red", but I didn't know about Unleash. That... doesn't really seem to have a downside for this type of deck.

Appreciated!

hope you get gruul or maybe boros as your back ups, gruul R/G and their bit is all creatures that double as combat tricks, boros is R/W and their thing is extra effects when 3 or more creatures attack at the same time

Your other back up options are Dimir, Orzhov, Izzet, and Golgari and you dont want those

2x39jD4.jpg

Appreciated!

hope you get gruul or maybe boros as your back ups, gruul R/G and their bit is all creatures that double as combat tricks, boros is R/W and their thing is extra effects when 3 or more creatures attack at the same time

Your other back up options are Dimir, Orzhov, Izzet, and Golgari and you dont want those

I disagree with this, Orzhov has been excellent in Gatecrash sealed and should be at least decent at DGM prerelease sealed.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Not exactly. Both the competitive and casual scenes have a vested interest in seeing reprints from the reserve list. Proxies could potentially satisfy the casual crowd, but come with their own limitations. The quality of each proxy varies so wildly from person to person that at times it can be difficult to determine what is happening in the game due to the confusion that proxies create. Not to mention the psychological disconnect that is an inherent component of proxies.

This also presumes that the people you play with allow you to use proxies, though that is less of a concern.

It is also not possible to play in any sanctioned Commander events with proxies.

edited April 2013
    Griswold wrote: »

Appreciated!

I disagree with this, Orzhov has been excellent in Gatecrash sealed and should be at least decent at DGM prerelease sealed.

The problem is with only two extort creatures in DGM (a rare for 4BB and a common for WB) the odds of getting a decent extort base are really low unless your guild pack is stuffed with extort cards (2/8 rares, 3/21 uncommons, 5/26 commons, going by this)

Guildpacks were an amazing crapshoot even in their own prerelease events, if your main guild is rakdos you should hope for a back up guild that is more aggro focused

edit to clarify when I say back up guild I should be saying "ally guild" ie the second "semi random" guild pack you get along with your 4 boosters and your main guild's pack, I don't mean Orzhov is a bad back up choice if they are out of Rakdos main-guilds

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.