Options

[PA Comic] Friday, March 1, 2013 - Microtribulations

2»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It doesn't really matter if the skin improves your experience five dollars worth. If you want it, and you're getting incredible value for money out of League Of Legends, spend the money. You'll help support the game. I bought coins and the coin doubler for jetpack joyride when I didn't need to. It just got me some neat looking jetpacks a little faster. Was it worth the money? In any objective sense, no. It meant I got some neat stuff faster and I got to support the developers of a game I had a huge amount of fun with. I dropped ten pounds on Dragonvale because I consider myself to have already had ten pounds worth of fun with it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Compare and contrast with say, redacted, which I played 35 pounds for and which was 6 hours of horseshit stuffed into a dead dog's eye.

Tube on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    To be fair, this type of game does have an audience. I have plenty of friends whose only 'gaming' is checking up on 5-6 different mobile programs that only give you meaningful updates every couple of hours

They have crazy free cash to spend on these little things cause they aren't buying full games on release like me. Or DnD books. Or MtG cards. Or league of legends skins

• Options
    A lot of people are super enjoying this game. Personally I can't imagine playing a racing game with a touchscreen.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Framling wrote: »
    You really had your pick of "xbox controller is hueg" comics to choose from on that challenge.

True, but they were both from easily my favorite stretch of comics they've ever done. Early to mid 2002 had a ridiculous concentration of fantastic comics. You have XBox controller Grizzly, Badger commandos, Claw Shrimp, Hit Points! Mana!, Gabe's Spiderman dream, Wonder Twins, Giant Spider.

I'm actually kinda annoyed I didn't include giant spider in the first place. One of my all-time favorites.

215171966_YZmR2-L-2.jpg

Oh! Oh! I have a cool story. I live near one of the locations where G&T were signing The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade so of course I went. My husband and I had a couple of prints we had ordered back when you could order a print of any comic you wanted. One of them was I Hope You Like Text and the other was this one:

215052774_dcPkD-L-2.jpg

I brought them with me to get signed. When I came up with my book and my prints and Mike commented on the age of that comic. I told him that my favorite comics seemed to be the ones with spiders. Like the one where they were supposed to get N Gages and instead got covered in hobo spiders, and then I mentioned that it had been hard to decide between the comic I'd had printed and He's Got Legs (quoted above).* When I said that I recalled a couple of lines from the comic for him and not only did he know what I was talking about (again, this was not the comic I'd just brought up) but he answered one of the lines I quoted - I think I said "he's wearing my shoes!" and he said "let me talk to her." Like, I'd imagine, if I was laughing and discussing PA with my husband or another fan. Except with one of the creators. And that particular strip was eight years old by that time. I just thought it was the coolest thing that he remembered it that well and still thought it was funny.

As an aside, they are still good at bringing the funny with spiders, because I love this one too:
    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1001223989_bYUUx-L.jpg

*The reason we printed the one we did was because at the time my husband and I were frequently telling each other "you don't have a mutant healing factor."

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The illusion of micro-transactions is based off the fact that you value something once you've spent time on it, regardless of how actually valuable it is. That means that if you waste 30 hours playing a shitty freemium game, you have built value in it for yourself and now regard purchases in it at a higher value than you would otherwise. It's basically a way to trick you into messing up your mental value system.

I'm guilty of this, too. "Oh man, I play League of Legends all the time, so $5 on a skin makes perfect sense, that is a value to me." I'm not seriously able to mentally process, "Is this skin going to improve my experience five dollars worth?"

And that's a pretty harmless example. Take it into stuff like Farmville, where someone has been spending two months playing an hour a day, and suddenly spending $5 on something that in NO WAY measurably changes their experience is still placed at a pretty high value.

Paying for things doesn't have to last, and we do it all the fucking time. You can either buy food at the grocery store and make things yourself, or you can go to a place that will cook and serve you the food. You can wait for a film to release to Netflix or on DVD/Blu-Ray, or you can go see it in a theater (a single, fleeting experience).

The value of money spent is all about in the moment. Granted, I'm speaking about money that's 100% available for free use - I'm sure someone read that line and was itching to talk to me about how people gamble when they have bills to pay, or whatever.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm not talking about whether digital purchases are worth it because of the ephemeral nature of them. I'm talking about the psychological fact that people place higher value on things they've invested time in, which can then be linked to placing higher value on digital purchases for grindy games they've spent on.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Can't you still order a print of any comic?

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Can't you still order a print of any comic?

So far as I know. I think it was last year that Jordyn ordered me four or five different strips involving testicles for my birthday.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Really? They used to have a buy-a-strip button associated with all the strips. I looked through the archive a bit while typing that and didn't see one so I assumed it had never come back ( I remember them taking it down).

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Really? They used to have a buy-a-strip button associated with all the strips. I looked through the archive a bit while typing that and didn't see one so I assumed it had never come back ( I remember them taking it down).

There...is a shiny green "buy this print" button in the upper right above every comic, opposite the title.

• Options
    oh. Well, since I already look dumb, I guess it doesn't matter how dumb this sounds, but the "buy a print" button used to be a small button around the size of the "next" and "previous" buttons. I was looking for something like that and so missed, you know, English words.

v2zAToe.jpg