Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Artists Assemble

• crftyldytoocrftyldytoo Registered User new member
    Amy, you are already a favorite here!

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Was it just me or did Graham's voice at the last segment sound dubbed over? Had a strange quality to it that I couldn't place and that's my only reasonable explanation.

Other than that little oddity, this was a great start! Looking forward to more.

zerzhulpjarvi
  • superjermssuperjerms Registered User regular
    What a great look on Amy's face when she sees Erika come in.

GethGgrecozerzhul
  • hackmohackmo Registered User new member
    Looks awesome! can't wait for episode 2 to find out what kind of challenges we can expect.

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    superjerms wrote: »
    What a great look on Amy's face when she sees Erika come in.

btGovty.jpg

zerzhulpjarvilamelama22FloydHereNowNotaCylon
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Man, I totally enjoyed this first episode! Also... Go S7arbuck! He's so dreamy. #SorryArson

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I find it hard to root for anyone but the person I know from the internet, hanging with friends, and from buying things from.
    Which sucks because these people all seem really awesome.

Bucketman on
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Also, I want to comment on this house for a moment. That KITCHEN is freaking amazing.. like.. I want to cook in that kitchen.. now. No seriously, preheat that oven.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    mlmccolloughhangeduplifeNotaCylon
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    God that host has a great voice for hosting

pjarvihangeduplife
  • WolffWolff Registered User regular
    The thing I like most is that the audience don't get to vote on anything.

pjarviNotaCylon
  • GeekBabelGeekBabel Registered User regular
    Ok so i think im really gonna enjoy this show show i just really hope it doesn't turn into one of those gameshows where they do challenges that have nothing to do with writing and drawing strip comics. the show Faceoff I feel does it right because its a show where people compete to be the best monster makers and costume designers for movies and there is never do anything that has nothing to do with that subject its just them makin costumes. So I hope every episode is just them makin comic strips because while im sure it would be funny for them swim in a pool of chocolate pudding it would feel out of place. But I'm sure I have nothing to worry about

Initiativepjarvi
  • superbergsuperberg Skokie, ILRegistered User regular
    Why does everyone from North Shore suburbs say they're from Chicago? Northbrook isn't even Chicago-adjacent!

Sorry. Good luck to everyone just the same.

Zeromuspjarvi
  • oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    Anyone else wonder why Jerry has a candlestick in his crotch? I can't be the only one who looked that closely there? (ohgodiamtheonlyone)

KalTorakNotaCylon
  • SolonASolonA Registered User regular
    I'm rooting for Erika. Excited for ep 2.

hangeduplife
  • SuffixSuffix Registered User new member
    I hope Kathleen wins... Can the Assistant Director/Editor win?

Regardless, this looks like a great show, and another PA Hit. Good work, Penny Arcade and LoadingReadyRun!

• TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Was it just me or did Graham's voice at the last segment sound dubbed over? Had a strange quality to it that I couldn't place and that's my only reasonable explanation.

Other than that little oddity, this was a great start! Looking forward to more.

It may well have been, ADR is very, very common in all kinds of broadcasting for all kinds of reasons. You probably see it without noticing a thousand times for each time that you notice,

• DristanDristan Asheville, NCRegistered User regular
    I don't see how they didn't all loose it halfway through Mike and Jerry's welcome video. As soon as I saw the candle stick I would have been rolling on the floor.

FloydHereNowhangeduplife
  • FloydHereNowFloydHereNow Registered User regular
    I 2nd Dristan's comment. Mike & Jerry's welcome video had me ROLFing. The candlestick was priceless! Needs a better host tho.

Initiativefaitshangeduplife
  • KainEnableKainEnable Registered User regular
    This looks great! I cant wait for the next one. Keep up the funny.

• InitiativeInitiative Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I'm still on the fence about this. Turning art into a competition is dangerous territory for a number of reasons. There's an element of having your very personage questioned and judged in a negative manner, which quite frankly, is the opposite of what makes art powerful. Granted these people accepted that reality, but I'm not really looking forward to the potential fact that personalities I respect (such as Mike & Jerry) end up falling into the same category of trashy realities shows filled with petty drama, malicious intent, and ultimately undermining what we love about watching PATV. I will tune in next week with the greatest hope that I am wrong.

Initiative on
    mlmccolloughnavinieafaitspodunk the mightypjarvihangeduplifeTheSpyder
  • SpadesSpades Registered User new member
    Is nobody going to talk about the fact that they bought an ENTIRE HOUSE WITH A LAKESIDE VIEW for a reality show in the internet?

tynanaideennakirush
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    I'd assume it was rented not bought seems far too great an expense for Robert to allow for a potential one off web series.

ANeM
  • WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    When I saw Jerry's tracksuit and gold chain I lost it. To say I'm looking forward to the rest of the series would be a gross understatement.

mojoehangeduplifeNotaCylon
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    The track suit and chain were a surprise to Mike and I as well. He literally showed up on set with the outfit and we couldn't stop laughing,

No, the house was rented. We are doing pretty well over here but lord, not THAT well. No reality show buys the houses they film in, as an FYI. Not even the big ones.

Good catch on the ADR. We had some tech issues early!

Glad everyone seems to be digging the show. These first two you'll see are a bit focused on character development. I can't wait for everyone to see how everything plays out.

Some guy.
    zerzhulElfWordCambiatahangeduplifeNotaCylonAnana11
  • mojoemojoe Registered User new member
    It was very socially progressive to hire a Canadian robot as the show's host. Great stuff, looking forward to more!

KinowolfIcyLiquid
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    "TIBXERO / MARCH 2
    DAE think that "I'm not here to make friends" is a poor choice of words considering PA prides themselves on hiring employees on the basis that (amongst other things) they would be a good friend to have in the group?"

I got the feeling that it was a joke, like they'd said to all the contestants when they were filming those segments "Say something Survivoresque."

• MonkeyBottomBlueMonkeyBottomBlue Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't watched any other PATV, but if this is any indication I'm going to have to. Great show! Not to be too freakish, but does anyone know what the post-it note by the door at 4:59 says? Is this the trap? Anyway favorites so far are Abby, Alex, Ty, and of course Erika.
    ps. Did anyone else think Ty had angry eyebrows? Seriously, watch it again and tell me those aren't angry eyebrows.

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I love this so much. SO MUCH

Draw an egg.
  • pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    Great pilot episode, really looking forward to the competitions, both creative and competitive. My only complaint would be the unevenness of the audio from the host. I had to really crank up the volume to hear him when he was addressing the competitors and then turn it back down to normal when the pre-recorded segments played.

histronic
  • VinceBurtonVinceBurton Bewcomic.com MarsRegistered User new member
    Good Luck Guys

• happy_barbarianhappy_barbarian Registered User new member
    I LOVE this thing. Really awesome work everyone. I especially like Graham's deadpan hosting and the "devious traps". Also, all the artists seem like very nice interesting people. I excited to see what art they'll do! Why isn't there anything like this on regular TV? Oh right, regular TV keeps getting dumber, while apparently the PA and LRR crew get better. Can't wait to see more.

KatieJRice
  • CreatedAccountForThisCreatedAccountForThis Registered User new member
    I don't say this out of spite: I would like to like this. I think, though, that this thing right here, is the tackiest move they've done so far. Not only that it's just bad television, it makes Mike and Jerry seem incredibly self-sufficient.

Did it say "A year embedded in the Penny Arcade empire?". My favorite webcomic artists became sad little kings on their little hill.

There's a limit to what you can add to your enterprise.

zerzhuldurandal4532purevalDr_TentacleshinoahistronicFandeathisGoldChaosRobert KhooCambiatahangeduplifeFloydHereNowSaint JusticeTheSpyderBrekkage
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    There's something wrong with being self sufficient?

hangeduplife
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I think you mean "full of themselves" or some variation. And I mean, if you have the capacity to make a weirdly specific reality competition you definitely need to use it.

Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Great start! I can't wait for the rest of the episodes!

Also, hilarity as usual from Mike and Jerry. Never stop.

jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Steam:ArcSyn Backloggery:ArcSyn XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS
    NotaCylon
  • toekneebullardtoekneebullard Registered User regular
    @EVERMOURN

I think she meant the "I didn't come here to make friends" line as a joke. It's a common phrase uttered on reality TV shows.

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    To CreatedAccountForThis: I'm not sure if you noticed, but we run the two largest game festivals in North America, and just expanded to a second continent. We run the largest game industry charity in the world. We've been on the New York Times best seller's list. Mike and Jerry were pointed out as being two of the most influential people in the world. If NOW... RIGHT NOW...is the time the flip switched in your brain from "two little webcomic artists" to being self sufficient, I'm really not sure what to say to you.

Some guy.
    shinoazerzhulhistronicFandeathisCambiatahangeduplifeAdmiralMemoSaint JusticeSatanIsMyMotorTofystedethNotaCylonLesStewart
  • shinoashinoa Registered User new member
    Wait... You mean holding the lives of the 14 other people in the office afloat is because Mike and Jerry are "self-sufficient"??? Self-sufficient was several years ago when they quit their jobs to make comics full time. I'm pretty sure being one of the first to pioneer the webcomic industry gets them a little credit to jokingly call it an "empire" If you think they're full of themselves, read up on Child's Play. They made the charity because they hold themselves higher than others (probably sarcastic?)

hangeduplifeNotaCylon
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    @Robert

The reality is, they are in a bit of a catch 22 here. There will always be people like CreatedAccountForThis who rather than looking at the fact that a dozen cartoonists feel that this is the best opportunity they have to make it, see it as Penny Arcade being egotistical jerks.

You will never please those people, ever, so it's not even worth trying.

To tie it into video games, years ago when playing WoW (Vanilla) there was a guy on my server who was ridiculously geared. He used to run new 60s through instances to get gear so they could try MC. He didn't take any gold and he never rolled on any items. On the forums he said he did it because he was bored.

As you can expect, most people's opinion on him landed somewhere between "meh" and "you are awesome, thanks!". Except for one guy, one person was convinced that he was using these other people to make him feel better about himself, and therefore he was selfish. And if he was truly selfless, he'd also give all his gold away to everyone to prove it. You'd expect that this was just Poe's law playing out, but the guy was deadly serious. To him, any joy you found in helping others was just you being selfish and somehow you should be condemned for it.

Truth is, you can't argue with someone like that. Giving an artist the once in a life time chance to turn their dream into a business? Nah, Mike and Jerry are just egotistical a-holes. See, it's easy when you don't use your brain. :)

sketchsevenLevin SadsadhangeduplifeSaint JusticeTofystedethBrekkage
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I was really worried that this would suck, but now I'm super stoked for it! Great pilot episode, I can't wait to see what happens.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
    NotaCylon