The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Artists Assemble

124»

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    I'm pre-emptively really sad for whoever has to leave the first day.

hangeduplifenerfherderhanNotaCylon
  • ElfWordElfWord Registered User regular
    Ha; this is looking good. Can't wait for more.

The site says airing every Tuesday & Friday; does that mean episode 2 will be out tomorrow?

Star Wars fan, Battlestar crewman, Fantastic GM. Frequent lurker, occasional adventurer.
    Awesome android RPGs are made by my friends; check them out.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Woah am I late to this party

GO LEXXY YEEEEAH

And miles to go before I sleep.
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    @Elfword Yup, Episode 2 hits TOMORROW.

Some guy.
    ElfWordKochikenstynic
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly sure Erika wins this. I mean, she just stopped doing DAR and there's a "Coming Soon" part to her website. That or she is preparing in case she wins. Still, I hope she wins. Woo!

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • JenSevJenSev Registered User regular
    Could have thrown Alex Steacy in there to spice things up a bit. Add a truckload of much needed herp and derp to the show :P

The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
    NotaCylon
  • CreatedAccountForThisCreatedAccountForThis Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    @SIDDOWN I never thought I was one of those hateful, internet-y people "who you can't please or argue with". What strikes me odd is that you decided that without really trying to do either.

But I'm sorry for posting my opinion on this forum. Now I truly see it was a bad, bad opinion. Should've gone with the right one! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

p.s. I do see the catch-22 side of it, though. Hope I didn't ruin your day. These comment wars are very unconstructive, and I'll stop being in your life now ;D : I'm sure you're a nice, good hearted person.

@ROBERT Nobody in their right mind would deny or belittle the scale of Penny Arcade has grown to. I just think that there is a fine line in the way of going about doing things. This, I find tacky.

CreatedAccountForThis on
    CambiatahangeduplifeSaint JusticeBrekkage
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yay for forum threads that also appear in the comments section of the website so I can downvote people, woot!

The show was ok, I'm curious to see more. Some things felt vaguely uncomfortable, like none of the contestants laughing at the Mike and Jerry prerecorded bit! I was laughing but they weren't.

Levin SadsadSaint Justice
  • lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I loved the face Amy made when she recognized Erika. I really like Amy, but I have a sinking feeling that she's the first to go home, b/c that clip they showed at the end about "next week on..." showed her in an interview saying "if I go home today it'll have been worth it" or something similar, but she was wearing the same outfit/makeup that she was wearing in the 'I just arrived to the house' interview; whereas everyone else shown in the preview in interviews was in different outfits. Hope I'm wrong...

That said, I'll be rooting for Amy (liked her character art the best), Katie (liked her attitude the best), and Erika (been a fan of her work for a while & met her a few years ago I think at SPX). I actively disliked the host b/c just too wooden and didn't care for the heavy accent - though maybe that's just me. Reminded me of the 1st season of Top Chef where they had a completely wooden host (Katie Lee [then Joel]) who they quickly replaced for the second season (Padma). Maybe shame on me b/c I wasn't already familiar with LRR?

edit:
    Also liked Mac, seemed really grounded. I know the forum will probably lynch me for this... but the only person I didn't like was Lexxy just b/c she seemed way too overconfident, like to a fault. Maybe that was the edit - trying to make her the traditional reality show villain?

lamelama22 on
  • R.TritthardtR.Tritthardt SeattleRegistered User new member
    This is so awesome. I hope there will be more than one season.

• p0tato_ch1pp0tato_ch1p Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping for more than one season already too. All these artists are so talented and inspiring!!!

• SporadicusSporadicus Registered User regular
    To Robert Khoo on CreatedAccountForThis's post: Please don't feed the troll. You were just baited. Everyone who checks the webcomic industry might not know about Penny Arcade, but PA's accolades speak for themselves.

The nearest webcomic group that I think is growing as fast as PA is Blind Ferret, but they have a slightly different direction than PA. Blind Ferret has been taking a lot of webcomic artists under its wings, and those webcomic artists have prospered. However, this makes them more of an alliance of webcomic artists than anything else.

I can imagine the next episode though. Keep in mind I have little to no knowledge of scriptwriting.

Immediate cut to scene: Camera black.

Digitally altered Artist's voice: HEEEEELP!

Sounds of something banging on a wall, possibly echoing due to the close proximities of the other three walls.

Announcer's voice: One of the artists have found the trap that was mentioned by Jerry and Mike.

Flash to a scene of Jerry and Mike laughing maniacially and wringing their hands.

Jerry: Muahaha! One of you have found the trap! And as a group, you must search for the missing person.

Mike: You will split into two teams to search for <artist's name bleeped out>. The team that finds him will receive immunity from being fired.

Jerry: And marshamallows!

Mike: And marshmallows. . .

Cut tension music abruptly.

Mike: <looking strangely at Jerry> . . . What?!?

Both regain their composure and the tension music continues.

Mike: If either of you do not find the artist, then both teams are up for elimination and <artist's name bleeped out> will receive immunity.

Jerry: And marshmallows!

Announcer: Will the artists rescue the trapped artist in time? Will they share the marshmallows? In the next episode: The Trap is Sprung!

Brekkage
  • WodenbornWodenborn Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Obligatory Remark: This show is amazing on weed.

Non-Obligatory Remark: There needs to be a show like this for indie game designers. Reality shows starring actual content creators are brilliant, because if I like or am transfixed with a personality, I will want to engage their art. This show may actually get me back into web comics.

Wodenborn on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    I'm rooting for the one from Noank, because that's a place I never expected to see spelled out on the internet.

NotaCylon
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    Great first episode! The intro video from Mike and Jerry was hilarious. Jerry's gold chain was a nice touch.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • IronmausIronmaus Registered User regular
    OFF TOPIC: It took me a minute, but I knew I recognized that house. I performed a wedding there about a year ago. When they were out on the balcony, it all clicked.

ON TOPIC: Any chance we can get more scans in the spoiler section for episode two? Seeing almost two whole books made me want to see all of them. Also, those blindfolds are creepy looking. One of the challenges should be painting the blindfolds to make them look awesome.

• ellipsoidellipsoid Registered User new member
    Wodenborn wrote: »
    Non-Obligatory Remark: There needs to be a show like this for indie game designers. Reality shows starring actual content creators are brilliant, because if I like or am transfixed with a personality, I will want to engage their art. This show may actually get me back into web comics.

IGN just finished season 2 of Next Game Boss. Of course, the Strip Search prize is way better...

• gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    What was the song used during the title sequence?

• leftlerleftler Registered User new member
    Graham has a incredible announcer voice.

Cambiata
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell CharlottesvilleRegistered User regular
    @SIDDOWN I never thought I was one of those hateful, internet-y people "who you can't please or argue with". What strikes me odd is that you decided that without really trying to do either.

But I'm sorry for posting my opinion on this forum. Now I truly see it was a bad, bad opinion. Should've gone with the right one! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

p.s. I do see the catch-22 side of it, though. Hope I didn't ruin your day. These comment wars are very unconstructive, and I'll stop being in your life now ;D : I'm sure you're a nice, good hearted person.

@ROBERT Nobody in their right mind would deny or belittle the scale of Penny Arcade has grown to. I just think that there is a fine line in the way of going about doing things. This, I find tacky.

just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it automatically deserves weight or credibility.

in what way is the show tacky? i'd really like to know. in the spectrum of all things Penny-Arcade, this seems like a natural evolution or extension. is it because it's a reality show? i'd be the first to critique Strip Search on that, except that the show seems to be taking this "honest and earnest" bent, as opposed to the contrived challenges on a Top Chef or Survivor-esque kind of show.

you've shared your opinion with the class, now it's time to back it up with some coherent thing.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562 | Pssst, hi Satan!
    CambiataKenninatorBrekkage
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    I thought the whole idea of the show was to help people get started that were like Mike & Jerry who used to work at target instead of paleontologists and nickelodeon cartoonists xD

• MonkeyBottomBlueMonkeyBottomBlue Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wodenborn: Though that would be cool, I don't think you can have quick challenges for games. Each challenge would take a week or two to finish at best.

• CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Great to see the fax-mach books up to see; hilarious to notice that someone misspelled 'proffers' as 'profers' and it was read as 'prefers' by the next artist; similarly 'chicken sells great' misread as 'smells great' -- great way for the show to show how [mis]communication can yield hilarity.

And it's nice to see Amy's design in the PA store. But you know, you guys didn't do it justice: the outstretched arms in her original design had *kind* of an equal chance, and were headed in the same general direction. The end-result in the shirt-shop loses that. And I can see why the malcontent judge dismissed the backprint: you've most likely got a deal with your printer that says you can only cover a certain area in the front, no wraparounds, in 'standard' designs.

But since the design challenge was 'make a design for a T-shirt', which is what she did, and it was for all of the T-shirt, not just the front, (probably the reason why they all appeared from the left, for that wraparound idea) wouldn't it be nice to have let her tweak her design so it fitted into your (unspoken) limitations? Or, thinking about it, maybe she should have just stood up for herself and her ideas? Hmm.

But I do think that maybe you should have [mis]communicated those limitations better before the challenge, since it was after all a commercial 'brief': though to be fairer, if you'd given an inch-by-inch-boundaried "design an A5 space that will be a T-shirt print" it may not have seemed as loose and free and whatnot.

Great ideas though.

But how long do we have to wait before Jerry&Mike piss themselves laughing at being introduced as "The Creators" - I expect full godhead regalia and float-thrones in the next episode!

CuriousPencil on
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    This looks like a great series. Can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes. Monica, you're a total fox :)

• gamewispgamewisp Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    Just started watching today! Excited to get started with the show.

Michael Anderson
    Current project: GameWisp: cloud backup for PC Game content, plus a social network for sharing game saves.
    http://gamewisp.com
  • Corben DallasCorben Dallas Registered User regular
    NNNnnnooooo not Katie again...whats the point in that???!!!! second time picked cause shes a potential winner...she should be auto exempt!!!! ...Ty is taking the long walk.

Also Goooooo Lexxy :) (But Travis and Maki may just have the chops) :|

• TinklesTinkles YAY! Never Past Bedtime LandRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    GrahamS has been kidnapped by Gosling and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

ICY'S my enemy, a fact that shall stay true
    So long as I coat his forums in BLUE
    Which forumer am I?

1gVsb9o.png
  • BugsinspaceBugsinspace Registered User regular
    Loving this show, so many literal lols already and WICKED music PAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• ReighReigh Registered User regular
    I'm just saying that has be in some part of Medina on the east side of lake Washington. I mean it's nice to be secretive but, as a local to Seattle I am pretty sure of the general area they are in . Not that just anyone can walk into a neighborhood/town like that one sandwiched against Bellevue (There is a lot of Security there) but, I think I know where they are. The rich architecture and fancy appliances like that giant wood cabinet refrigerator. It Screams of Mansion I spent a fortune on in a neighborhood where it would be safe.

• ReighReigh Registered User regular
    ok that is a joke right they did they whole voice for the announcer very big and strong and probably are using some voice modulation/editing. Then when you see him in person it still sounds larger than life compared with the contestants and the Penny Arcade guys whom are trying to sound devious to top him and start talking about traps. BTW I already saw the trap its watch for the large amount of liquor placed right on the counter when the first contestants arrive. that has to be the trap.

• Tigerpanda13Tigerpanda13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Run down of beginning credit's artists' thoughts, as interpreted by me, reading their face.
    Nick - Sweet, first! Li'l awkward though.
    Katie - Oh shiz, I'm nervous. Hello!
    Tavis - Just hold this almost natural looking smile... hold it...
    Amy - Heck yes, I'm awesome. (love the sassy eyebrow twitch.)
    Maki - BEARD!
    Abby - I feel remarkably uncomfortable with smiling. (Have some confidence, girlie!)
    Ty - Mmm, ooh, yeah... Wait, don't leave! (He seriously had a semi-sex-face going there.)
    Lexxy - *Gulp* Don't show that you're nervous...
    Alex - What, oh you're filming? Awesome! (He looked the most like you just happened to catch him smiling.)
    Monica - Shit! shitshitshitshitshit! (She looks like she needs to poo or something, she looks so nervous.)
    Mac - Think of something happy, like kittens or something, that'll make me smile...
    Erica - Ummm... Hi?

Tigerpanda13 on
    Angry_Samoan
  • RaphtyrRaphtyr Registered User regular
    Nice candlestick Jerry!

• IrrevenantIrrevenant Registered User new member
    I just started watching this series (Ya, I know I'm waaaaay behind xD).

Was there honestly not a single qualified applicant over the age of ~35? Really?

It'd also be great if the name captions were used much more frequently in these early stages when we're still getting used to all the people . (I realise the series is probably finished by now but hopefully this feedback is useful for the next one...)

124»