As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the dawning of the Age of Ultron.

• Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    I think the tough thing to wrap your head around is that the very first panel has the heading "New York City, today." But many things in the book don't seem to jive at all with what every other Marvel book has going on "today."

That said, it does have a cool post-apocalyptic vibe going for it, and I'm interested to see where it goes from here. But I'm betting it's going to be much more in the vein of AoX than AoA, when all is said and done.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The very short recap page at the start had a "glass breaking" effect on the shot of the heroes so it has to be an AU scenario.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I liked this issue and am exited by the idea of the event as a whole, but man I am not a fan of how forced those solicits sound. "it will change how you see things forever!" Ugh

You'll be a new man after reading this

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    So this is going to be Marvel's Flashpoint, I assume

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The very short recap page at the start had a "glass breaking" effect on the shot of the heroes so it has to be an AU scenario.
    It is not an alternate universe. Marvel has said this a billion times.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So this is going to be Marvel's Flashpoint, I assume

aside from the fact that Marvel isn't doing a reboot and never has

it's probably going to shift the existing continuity in some way, but not a way that will have a drastic effect on all of the titles that only just relaunched with Marvel NOW!

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    That's what they say

But I wager they really want to get that New52 money from a relaunch

Plus they can bring back Ben Reilly and make it so that the Runaways and Young Avengers and Richard Rider never existed!!!

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    It is not an alternate universe. Marvel has said this a billion times.

I think at some point we're splitting hairs

it is a timeline that will be changed/reverted to a more recognizable one at the end of the event

only it looks like instead of an AoA style "someone went back and fucked everything up" it's "things got fucked up, and someone will go back and (mostly) fix it"

so technically everything post-AoU could be considered an alternate universe/timeline if things go as people are predicting

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    That's what they say

But I wager they really want to get that New52 money from a relaunch

they just had one

(I don't take your bait on the Land drawing Young Avengers jokes, and I fall for it on this?)

• Options
    It isn't really splitting hairs

AoU is going to feed directly back into the Marvel U. Books are tying in and Bendis has said that Guardians is one of the books that will be most effected by its fallout.

It is the current Marvel universe. Now in issue 6 when Wolverine fucks up the timeline then yeah itll be different but it is still the Marvel U.

It isn't an Age of Apocalypse or House of M scenario.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I get that

but saying this is in no way an AU story implies that after it's over the Marvel U will have a period of dealing with the aftermath, repopulating the earth in the ruins of Ultrons fallen empire and that is just not the case. There are definitely going to be lasting effects from whatever is done to fix this but for the sake of every other title's ongoing stories and continuity most things are going to go back the way they were.

It almost certainly is an AU story, it's just that the post-AoU continuity will be the alternate timeline. Which means Marvel is being entirely honest, but sneaky by insisting that what's happening at the start of AoU is not an alternate universe, because it isn't.

• Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or did all the spiderman dialogue during and after his rescue feel more like amazing than superior. I can Imagine doc being plenty wasted after what ever beat down he received while captured but the writing for it feels way too much like Pete. I dont mean like the forced Pete when he tries to maintain his cover but like old school Pete. it also appeared some of his uniform had shades of blue on it. I thought his costumne became black after superior

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I was really surprised by how good the first issue of this was, and I was also please that they didn't make a bunch of obvious, awkward changes to accommodate the way that various characters' status quos have changed since Bendis first wrote this probably 2 or 3 years ago. He also did a great job of writing the characters in this issue, probably the best job he's done since I started reading the Marvel U with Siege and the Heroic Age. Being so self-contained probably helps as well; if this was a bigger event, the issue probably would've been jammed with characters and events rather than just focusing on one situation.

The paper quality and the cover stock were also awesome, and they sort of added to the psychological experience of this being an actual "event" comic. I can't wait to read the rest of this, and I'm planning on reading all the tie-ins as well.

• Options
    Darcsteel wrote: »
    Is it just me or did all the spiderman dialogue during and after his rescue feel more like amazing than superior. I can Imagine doc being plenty wasted after what ever beat down he received while captured but the writing for it feels way too much like Pete. I dont mean like the forced Pete when he tries to maintain his cover but like old school Pete. it also appeared some of his uniform had shades of blue on it. I thought his costumne became black after superior

this was written well in advance, to give Hitch time to do the art. a lot of costume changes aren't in it either.

I didn't particularly enjoy Hitch's art, unfortunately so it seems less than worth it. I can think of at least a half-dozen artists working for Marvel I'd prefer.

• Options
    Thank you for the clarification. Thought I was just misreading the character somehow

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Thank you for the clarification. Thought I was just misreading the character somehow

It doesn't really break continuity though. At least what we know doesn't. There are many ways in which this could be resolved in the months between current superior and AoU.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Yeah it's kind of the same reason why Captain America's costume is wrong in Children's Crusade, this stuff was drawn before the new Superior Spider-Man outfit was even designed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Marvel Annoouncement via comicvine
    this event will wrap this June

Ok now I believe this is marvel's flashpoint. dont care what they say either they are rebooting or there are some massive shakeups coming to marvel

Darcsteel on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    uh, we've known it was going to end in June since last november. I don't know what that has to do with anything?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Marvel Annoouncement via comicvine
    this event will wrap this June

Ok now I believe this is marvel's flashpoint. dont care what they say either they are rebooting or there are some massive shakeups coming to marvel

You're suggesting that Marvel would announce and implement a massive company wide shake up and new reader friendly starting point only to do it again in six months.

You get that right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why would they do a reboot/relaunch after they just did a relaunch and not all those relaunch titles are even out yet?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Ignoring that Marvel doesn't do reboots, why would attempt one after how horribly DCs was received?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Ignoring that Marvel doesn't do reboots, why would attempt one after how horribly DCs was received?

Isn't DC doing well in sales?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The reboot for DC was seen as a good thing when it was announced, generally. It was six month into it when people realized no one is at the helm of the ship over there.

As for sales, they're now like Marvel: big sales up the top of the charts, and a lot at the bottom, nothing really in the middle like where they were before the reboot.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Isn't DC doing well in sales?

Yes, and it's wildly regarded ad a mostly good thing, even if Editorial over there is fucking retarded. Sales are up, which is the most important thing though.
    Like any relaunch or reboot, you get some good and some bad.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Marvel doesn't have to do a reboot.

Just focus on earth eleventysix and wrap up 616 with some happy endings and you're good.

They aren't doing that though.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I'd love if MU began experiencing reboot level events in ever shortening increments until the universe implodes under the constant flux.

Maybe love is too strong a word...

• Options
    I'd love if MU began experiencing reboot level events in ever shortening increments until the universe implodes under the constant flux.

are you uh

reading New Avengers right now?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

are you uh

reading New Avengers right now?
    Having the universe be dying because of something that happens in Age of Ultron would be a nice way to tie together this event and current storylines.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Aren't Avenger not meant to kill? That went out the window pretty quickly when the apocalypse came about.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Amigu wrote: »
    Aren't Avenger not meant to kill? That went out the window pretty quickly when the apocalypse came about.

depends on the Avenger, Wolverine and Black Widow are obviously killers for example.

And we don't know how long post-Ultron this is taking place

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »

Have you ever seen Wolverine in a comic book? He is (was?) an Avenger.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    At this point, its more difficult to find an Avenger that hasn't killed someone. Silverclaw, maybe?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Peter Parker.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    He snapped Gwen Stacey's neck. He killed the Wolverine's spy friend in Wolverine vs Spider-Man.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Gwen Stacy doesn't really count since she was going to die if he didn't do anything, and he was trying to save her life

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    well I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Superior Spider-Man anyway who has killed obviously.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nah, Bendis has said that while Superior and everything still happened AoU Spidey is for all purposes Peter Parker.

My guess is the Superior AU issue will show some sort of horrific event prior to the events of AoU 1 and 2 that "kills" Octavius' personality.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah, Bendis has said that while Superior and everything still happened AoU Spidey is for all purposes Peter Parker.

My guess is the Superior AU issue will show some sort of horrific event prior to the events of AoU 1 and 2 that "kills" Octavius' personality.

Which explains
    AoU Peter waking up late in the takeover with no memory of any of it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I was just going to come in a's speculate that. Seems about right and fits well in the story.